News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on July 14, 2024, 10:09:25 PMJust quick thoughts.. If you could only buy one, would you prefer W-Dragon Giraffatitan or HLG Alamosaurus? Let's say prices are equal.

Hard decision, but I would go for Haolonggood Alamosaurus. Reasons: 1) The neck thickness and other proportions of W-Dragon Giraffatitan are not in agreement with modern skeletal reconstructions but more Jurassic World style, 2) the very upright position of W-Dragon Giraffatitan neck is not typical pose, 3) the W-Dragon Graffatitan is partly resin and therefore has higher risk to break. Have a look at skeletals by Scott Hartman.

Sim

My understanding is the upright neck posture of the Giraffatitan is supported by some palaeontologists.  But I think sauropod neck posture is an area of active and continuing debate among palaeontologists.  I had also understood the Giraffatitan is not made of resin, but somewhat soft plastic on the outside with a harder core?

I would pick the Haolonggood Alamosaurus out of the two though because the skin detail looks more realistic to me on the Alamo, plus the colourations of the Alamo I find more interesting than the Giraffatitan.  Finally I find W-dragon figures look contrived, not lifelike.

Turkeysaurus

Thank you guys...I was leaning on Alamosaurus as well mostly because maybe HGL's possible Brachiosaurus/Giraffatitan will be more close in size of Mamenchisaurus than Alamosaurus. They send Mamenchisaurus to my country but not Alamosaurus & W-Dragon Giraffatitan... Also i heard W-Dragon doesn't have scales but only elephant skin wrinkles.

I wish HLG released Argentinosaurus before Alamosaurus so i could get that one. I hope they haven't changed their mind about 1/35 Argentinosaurus. I think there are only resin models at that size.

Maybe they'll release them after all of the ones in diagrams so we couldn't save our money for it...or maybe they wanna finish 2024 with a  bang!

Eatmycar

Alamosaurus. the W-Dragon Giraffatitan feels like off-brand Jurassic Park aesthetically, and while I ADORE the Jurassic Park Brachiosaurus, it just isn't what I'd want, you know?

Torvosaurus

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on July 15, 2024, 02:00:20 AMThank you guys...I was leaning on Alamosaurus as well mostly because maybe HGL's possible Brachiosaurus/Giraffatitan will be more close in size of Mamenchisaurus than Alamosaurus. They send Mamenchisaurus to my country but not Alamosaurus & W-Dragon Giraffatitan... Also i heard W-Dragon doesn't have scales but only elephant skin wrinkles.

I wish HLG released Argentinosaurus before Alamosaurus so i could get that one. I hope they haven't changed their mind about 1/35 Argentinosaurus. I think there are only resin models at that size.

Maybe they'll release them after all of the ones in diagrams so we couldn't save our money for it...or maybe they wanna finish 2024 with a  bang!

I'm with you on the Argentinosaurus. I've been waiting for a good-sized Argentinosaurus a good 10 years or so, and the resin models aren't worth what they are asking, IMHO.

Torvo

thomasw100

The Haolonggood fan group has now an unboxing video of the Saichania on X. Looks very very nice. The gray in particular looks much better than in the promotional images. I have ordered the red, but may also order the gray one now.

https://x.com/i/status/1812653906452746244

Turkeysaurus

They looked good on promo pics but even better in hands.

Is it me or both have same eyes unlike the promo pics?

Halichoeres

Another vote for Alamosaurus, although I also own the Giraffatitan and I like it too.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Zephyr2007

I own the W-Dragon Giraffatitan, and I like it as well. Looks great next to the Haolonggood Mamenchisaurus and Apatosaurus.

Pinbacker

I own both the W-Dragon Giraffatitan and the HLG Alamosaurus, and they are both great. Pose aside, the W-Dragon model gets a lot of anatomical features right, including the positioning of the nostrils. Dino Dragons did a great review of it a few years ago. I think it looks great alongside PNSO/Haolonggood models.

Turkeysaurus

I wouldn't recommend anyone make a decision on saichania based on the eyes in promo pic.

In video they look same to me.

Gigantospinotyrannus

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on July 14, 2024, 10:09:25 PMJust quick thoughts.. If you could only buy one, would you prefer W-Dragon Giraffatitan or HLG Alamosaurus? Let's say prices are equal.
You may also wish to consider the Era Terra Argentinosaurus and Patagotitan figures, both of which are at 1/35 scale

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Gigantospinotyrannus on July 17, 2024, 12:11:26 PM
You may also wish to consider the Era Terra Argentinosaurus and Patagotitan figures, both of which are at 1/35 scale
I know they are great but not possible for me because of custom regulations & my country. Probably couldn't afford as well.

I have seen them in reviews though , makes me wonder if HLG will really dare producing such sized dinosaurs.

thomasw100

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on July 17, 2024, 02:58:52 PM
Quote from: Gigantospinotyrannus on July 17, 2024, 12:11:26 PM
I know they are great but not possible for me because of custom regulations & my country. Probably couldn't afford as well.

I have seen them in reviews though , makes me wonder if HLG will really dare producing such sized dinosaurs.

Few comments on this from my side as well. The Era Terra titanosaurs are amazing, but for my taste they have a few features that I do not like so much. I find that their skin texture looks pretty rough, if you compare this to the recent Haolonggood figures and some traditional cast resin models from top art studios in Asia like Linghu, MuSee or DeClay to name a few. Then they are not single piece models but come in three parts which are screwed together creating quite visible seam lines. The latter would be for me the main reason why I did not get one of the Era Terra models and why I also did not get the Rebor Diplodocus. Finally, you have to wait for many months if not a year for these Era Terra models.

But if Haolonggood would release their Argentinosaurus I am sure that would be an amazing figure. They have demonstrated by now that their large sauropods are top class and I do not expect anything less for the Argentinosaurus and the Brachiosaurus that might still come this year or early next. I do also hope that they will release a Diplodocus or one of its relatives eventually. I think that in the same way as Haolonggood is testing the waters for increasingly smaller genera, they are doing the same with these large sauropods. They have made Alamosaurus and Mamenchisaurus and these were a success. Now they can take the next step and make an Argentinosaurus.

Turkeysaurus

The Era Terra probably would be far above my budget anyway.

We are at opposite ends when it comes to attachable part. It helps with shipping availability and cost a lot. I have that giant Rebor Dippy that way. Giraffatitan/Brachiosaurus is bigger than i expected (close to Alamosaurus size) so i doubt it'll be available for me as well. Argentinosaurus out of question.

Argentinosaurus would be Haolonggood's magnum opus imo but i'm doubtful it'll be made until it's official. I hope they don't downsize it and it'll be legit 1/35.

Torvosaurus

The Era Terra titanosaurs  might fit into my budget, but I don't know where to get one, so I guess I'm left out hanging like Tarzan's junk in a freezing tundra tempest.

Torvo

TlatolophusJuanorum

First Saichania review from Monkey King,
The colouration for the gray one looks richier than expected with subtle contrasts of blue/brown through the armour. Also it could be a plausible colour as defending itself behaving like a stone, diggin' itself on the sand avoiding predators (Tarbosaurus mostly).

Turkeysaurus

Red one has dark head compared to its body. Now i like red a bit more than grey.

Turkeysaurus

dragon53

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: