News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

Quote from: thebermuda303 on July 11, 2024, 06:37:27 PMB is actually a minotaurosaurus skull

But the figure caption states: "Crania of MPC 100/151, holotype of Saichania chulsanensis (A) and INBR21004, Tarchia kielanae (B) in anterior view. INBR21004 represented by cast specimen UALVP 49402. See list in text for an explanation of anatomical abbreviations."

Sim

Quote from: thebermuda303 on July 11, 2024, 06:40:07 PMAnother issue I see is that the big posterior back osteoderms are placed at the base of the tail, where they should be placed on its hips.
I thought only the front half of Saichania is known?

And yeah, the second skull in Thomas's image is Minotaurasaurus.  It's the holotype of it, which was considered a specimen of Tachia by Arbour et al., but more recent studies found Minotaurasaurus to be valid and Tarchia to have different-looking skulls.

thebermuda303

Quote from: Sim on July 11, 2024, 08:01:22 PM
Quote from: thebermuda303 on July 11, 2024, 06:40:07 PMAnother issue I see is that the big posterior back osteoderms are placed at the base of the tail, where they should be placed on its hips.
I thought only the front half of Saichania is known?

And yeah, the second skull in Thomas's image is Minotaurasaurus.  It's the holotype of it, which was considered a specimen of Tachia by Arbour et al., but more recent studies found Minotaurasaurus to be valid and Tarchia to have different-looking skulls.
There is one almost fully complete specimen if I recall correctly. Most other Mongolian ankylosaurs have that big osteoderm placed right on the back of the hip.

thebermuda303

Quote from: thomasw100 on July 11, 2024, 07:00:27 PM
Quote from: thebermuda303 on July 11, 2024, 06:37:27 PMB is actually a minotaurosaurus skull

But the figure caption states: "Crania of MPC 100/151, holotype of Saichania chulsanensis (A) and INBR21004, Tarchia kielanae (B) in anterior view. INBR21004 represented by cast specimen UALVP 49402. See list in text for an explanation of anatomical abbreviations."
Taxonomy of Mongolian ankylosaurids is mostly a hot mess. A lot of genera have been switched around and that's the case for minotaurosaurus, among a few other dinos.

Sim

Quote from: thebermuda303 on July 11, 2024, 08:25:45 PMTaxonomy of Mongolian ankylosaurids is mostly a hot mess. A lot of genera have been switched around and that's the case for minotaurosaurus, among a few other dinos.
I think it's the case for ankylosaurids in general.  It's mostly due to Arbour and Penkalski disagreeing on ankylosaurid taxonomy.  Penkalski has been supported by papers by other authors, so I'm going with his taxonomy for now...

Quote from: thebermuda303 on July 11, 2024, 08:24:41 PMMost other Mongolian ankylosaurs have that big osteoderm placed right on the back of the hip.
I've seen some indeterminate Mongolian ankylosaurid specimens with a large osteoderm on the hip, but as far as I can tell the Haolonggood Saichania is in accordance with that, as shown in the image below it does have a large osteoderm pair on the hips.  The second large osteoderm pair posterior to those is speculative as far as I'm aware, but I don't think it's an inaccuracy if no Saichania specimen has the osteoderms of that area preserved.

Halichoeres

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 10, 2024, 02:31:16 PMI don't have a Saichania yet, so I am certain to get one of these. Not sure which color yet. I'll have to look at similar taxa I have purchased by HLG and pick whatever is most different from what I already have LOL.

I think I'm going with gray. The only other gray ankylosaur I have from HLG is the Edmontonia, which similarly has some color on the underside (red rather than the yellow on this one). But they'll be far enough apart on the shelf that they won't interfere with each other visually.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

bmathison1972

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 12, 2024, 06:27:07 AM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 10, 2024, 02:31:16 PMI don't have a Saichania yet, so I am certain to get one of these. Not sure which color yet. I'll have to look at similar taxa I have purchased by HLG and pick whatever is most different from what I already have LOL.

I think I'm going with gray. The only other gray ankylosaur I have from HLG is the Edmontonia, which similarly has some color on the underside (red rather than the yellow on this one). But they'll be far enough apart on the shelf that they won't interfere with each other visually.

Looking at pics on the preview on the DTB, I think I am also going to go grey for this one!

Skorpio V.

Quote from: oscars_dinos on July 11, 2024, 06:56:33 PMI know I'm late, but since were talking about accuracy and I dint see much convo about it, how's HLGs Gastonia in terms of accuracy

The osteoderms of Gastonia were found disarticulated, so all skeletals and reconstructions are speculative. Theirs follows the 2010 Greg Paul skeletal roughly. You can see the model right next to the skeletal in this thread on the forum: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=152.2680
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Skorpio V. on July 12, 2024, 06:34:19 PM
Quote from: oscars_dinos on July 11, 2024, 06:56:33 PMI know I'm late, but since were talking about accuracy and I dint see much convo about it, how's HLGs Gastonia in terms of accuracy

The osteoderms of Gastonia were found disarticulated, so all skeletal and reconstructions are speculative. Theirs follows the 2010 Greg Paul skeletal roughly. You can see the model right next to the skeletal in this thread on the forum: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=152.2680
to my somewhat untrained eye it seems not too accurate but... these are times I wish dinodragon did a review lol

suspsy

Seven more dinosaurs still to be revealed. And didn't Haolonggood say they had even more in store for this year?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Bread

Quote from: suspsy on July 12, 2024, 10:55:45 PMSeven more dinosaurs still to be revealed. And didn't Haolonggood say they had even more in store for this year?
Yes they confirmed there would be more releases, but the list/poster is priority.

I'm still hoping for the Amargasaurus to be next (please)

Concavenator

Quote from: Bread on July 12, 2024, 11:49:40 PMI'm still hoping for the Amargasaurus to be next (please)

If they managed to correct the neck sail, count me in!

Bread

Quote from: Concavenator on July 13, 2024, 12:22:41 AM
Quote from: Bread on July 12, 2024, 11:49:40 PMI'm still hoping for the Amargasaurus to be next (please)

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I could go either way on the sail. Unless it's truly definitive, because as far as I know it's still debatable?

Torvosaurus

Quote from: Bread on July 13, 2024, 04:12:27 AM
Quote from: Concavenator on July 13, 2024, 12:22:41 AM

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I could go either way on the sail. Unless it's truly definitive, because as far as I know it's still debatable?

Right now it's the popular opinion that the spines supported skin between them.

Has anything been postulated for Bajadasaurus spines? It seems unlikely they didn't support something.

Torvo

Sim

The paper that found Amargasaurus to have sails over its spines found the same for Bajadasaurus.

thomasw100

Quote from: Sim on July 13, 2024, 04:12:50 PMThe paper that found Amargasaurus to have sails over its spines found the same for Bajadasaurus.

Is this conclusion now consensus in the paleontological community or is there still debate about this?

Sim

Quote from: thomasw100 on July 13, 2024, 05:06:22 PMIs this conclusion now consensus in the paleontological community or is there still debate about this?

There's been no disagreement with the paper's conclusion as far as I'm aware.

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on July 13, 2024, 07:03:51 PM
Quote from: thomasw100 on July 13, 2024, 05:06:22 PMIs this conclusion now consensus in the paleontological community or is there still debate about this?

There's been no disagreement with the paper's conclusion as far as I'm aware.

Exactly. So an Amargasaurus without fully-covered neck spines would now be considered inaccurate.

The paper behind this reasoning is this one.

There's also a really good video talking about this paper (and therefore, what an up-to-date Amargasaurus reconstruction should look like):

On another note, I highly recommend this channel, it's fun and informative to watch. Been following it for a good while.

thomasw100

Quote from: suspsy on July 12, 2024, 10:55:45 PMSeven more dinosaurs still to be revealed. And didn't Haolonggood say they had even more in store for this year?

I really hope that among the ones that have not been in the catalogue will be one of the two remaining large sauropods, either Brachiosaurus or Argentinosaurus.

They said at some point that they plan to make 30 figures this year. The catalogue page shows 15 and before that 2 were released (Alamosaurus and Chasmosaurus). If they stick to their plans, there could be 10 or so more.

Turkeysaurus

Just quick thoughts.. If you could only buy one, would you prefer W-Dragon Giraffatitan or HLG Alamosaurus? Let's say prices are equal.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: