News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnoking

Quote from: Gwangi on March 21, 2024, 01:34:51 PMThose Edmontosaurus!  ;D I'm gonna have a hard time picking the color I want for this one.

No kidding, and with a lineup like this I'm gonna have to try extra hard to limit myself on variants.
That said, I'm sure I'll cave for a few of my favorites, and this Edmontosaurus may be one of them!

oscars_dinos

Quote from: thomasw100 on March 20, 2024, 06:25:33 AMI noticed that the Stegosaurus ungulatus appears modified compared to the first prototype images that came out. The spikes on the thagomizer are moved further away from the plates and they seem to be more horizontally aligned now. These were the points of criticism that were raised here in this forum and it looks like they have been taken into account.

While the sculpt does look nice and haolonggood is getting better and better I will say my pnso stego is still preferred over this one. (I feel) Haolonggood figures suffer from being pretty stiff looking and while they've gotten better I think this stego suffers a bit from it. that Mamenchisaurus is still beautiful and I think is still going to be my first haolonggood figure. The rest of the roster looks really good and promising as well. That amargo especially. seeing how this year goes my collection might go from just pnso, to pnso/haolonggood

Gwangi

I really like that Stegosaurus. I don't really need another but since it's Stegosaurus ungulatus I think I'll get it anyway. What I'm seeing here reminds me of Rebor's, which I also like.

thomasw100

Quote from: Gwangi on March 21, 2024, 08:02:27 PMI really like that Stegosaurus. I don't really need another but since it's Stegosaurus ungulatus I think I'll get it anyway. What I'm seeing here reminds me of Rebor's, which I also like.

I am also looking forward to this Stegosaurus, in particular because it is Stegosaurus ungulatus and therefore also a bit larger than the PNSO which is supposedly S. stenops. There are not so many species of stegosaurs available as high quality figures, and Haolonggood will release even two this year.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: thomasw100 on March 21, 2024, 09:16:38 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on March 21, 2024, 08:02:27 PMI really like that Stegosaurus. I don't really need another but since it's Stegosaurus ungulatus I think I'll get it anyway. What I'm seeing here reminds me of Rebor's, which I also like.

I am also looking forward to this Stegosaurus, in particular because it is Stegosaurus ungulatus and therefore also a bit larger than the PNSO which is supposedly S. stenops. There are not so many species of stegosaurs available as high quality figures, and Haolonggood will release even two this year.
That is a good way of looking at it, ill be interested to see how they look next to each other

Concavenator

Fantastic to see an up-to-date Amargasaurus being released! I still hope the neck's sail will be extended, though. Maiasaura is another great choice because of how overdue it is, and another one I'm interested in (and please, I hope they don't include any extras, like hatchings, etc, this has become a meme with this particular genus, I just want the adult). Edmontosaurus is another genus I'm interested in, though I still haven't decided whether I'll go with HLG's or PNSO's. Difficult choice, both look stellar. Styracosaurus and Diabloceratops are two ceratopsids I'm a big fan of, but I don't intend to replace PNSO's Anthony and I'm not sure I will replace Safari's Diabloceratops. Will think about it when HLG's version is released.

The others look great too, but I'm not interested in those species, so they're a pass for me.

Flaffy

I'm hoping the Haolonggood Maiasaura will have a singular connected crest rather than an errornous two-horned reconstruction.

Correct reconstruction by Olorititan

Skull OTM F138

Incorrect reconstruction by Jake Baarse (for The Isle)

thomasw100

Lana Time Shop has now started to advertise this very large base. This leads me to one suggestion to Haolonggood. It would be amazing if they would start producing a few Mesozoic plants and trees so that one could add them to that base.

bmathison1972

Since it's S. ungulatus I'll get it, too, since the Stego I have is specifically S. stenops!

BlueKrono

My Alamosaurus arrived today and I am very impressed. They are not cutting corners in either material or finishing. Surprisingly, no detail is lost from the original mockups; the in-hand figure might even be better. The painted eye is crisp and clear too. It feels almost unbelievably heavy as well - it's not much bigger than the Carnegie Brachiosaurus but it feels almost twice as heavy. I was one of the first to purchase this figure so mine came with the pterosaur. I had promised it to someone here but I forget who that was...
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Prehistory Resurrection

postsaurischian

Quote from: BlueKrono on March 23, 2024, 03:11:25 AM....... I had promised it (pterosaur) to someone here but I forget who that was...

That was me, but meanwhile I don't think the figure is important enough to justify the immense international shipping quotes.
 It was very generous of you and I have to thank you again for the offer!

thomasw100

I have a question to those who received already the Haolonggood Chasmosaurus. How does the roughness of the skin texture compare with earlier ceratopsians? The Kosmoceratops and Sinoceratops appear much finer to me, whereas the Pentaceratops and Nasutoceratops were very rough. The Pachyrhinosaurus was finer than Pentaceratops and Nasutoceratops. Is the Chasmosaurus about as rough as the Pachyrhinosaurus?

Samrukia

Quote from: thomasw100 on March 23, 2024, 09:33:03 AMI have a question to those who received already the Haolonggood Chasmosaurus. How does the roughness of the skin texture compare with earlier ceratopsians? The Kosmoceratops and Sinoceratops appear much finer to me, whereas the Pentaceratops and Nasutoceratops were very rough. The Pachyrhinosaurus was finer than Pentaceratops and Nasutoceratops. Is the Chasmosaurus about as rough as the Pachyrhinosaurus?

DinosDragons says little bit about this in his video

SidB

Quote from: Samrukia on March 23, 2024, 01:08:32 PM
Quote from: thomasw100 on March 23, 2024, 09:33:03 AMI have a question to those who received already the Haolonggood Chasmosaurus. How does the roughness of the skin texture compare with earlier ceratopsians? The Kosmoceratops and Sinoceratops appear much finer to me, whereas the Pentaceratops and Nasutoceratops were very rough. The Pachyrhinosaurus was finer than Pentaceratops and Nasutoceratops. Is the Chasmosaurus about as rough as the Pachyrhinosaurus?

[/quot
Quote from: Samrukia on March 23, 2024, 01:08:32 PM

If you sift through his video. you will hear specific comments regarding this question/issue at 4:40-4:56; 7:20; 21: 14; and 21:43.
Keep in mind that this is quite a small figure, avatar_Samrukia @Samrukia .

Concavenator

Quote from: Flaffy on March 22, 2024, 12:31:46 AMI'm hoping the Haolonggood Maiasaura will have a singular connected crest rather than an errornous two-horned reconstruction.

Correct reconstruction by Olorititan

Skull OTM F138

Incorrect reconstruction by Jake Baarse (for The Isle)

Good catch avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy !

Wild Past's Maiasaura follows the correct crest reconstruction:

Tagging V @vampiredesign so they notice your post.

P.S. Images deleted for the quote as it contained several images (forum rule no. 7).

Blade-of-the-Moon

I picked up the green Chasmo from Lanatimeshop. Not bad at all for 15.99 with free ship. This will be my first HLG Ceratopsian, was waiting for one that checked all my boxes. Might be creeping out of my BotM ceratopsian funk..slowly. lol

Flaffy

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on March 23, 2024, 06:54:10 AM

Seems that based on frill embayment angle, this model represents C. belli afterall.

Concavenator

Paleofiguras told me Haolonggood plans to release a 1:20 resin statue of the Amargasaurus too.

Concavenator

I think Haolonggood's decision of showing this teaser of (part of) their upcoming releases is just plain great, for several reasons:

1) It's just informative to us collectors. They're letting us know which species they're making, so we can have that information prior to their "VoilĂ , here it is" release.

2) Similar to the previous point, it helps collectors plan their purchases. This is reminiscent of the way some companies used to announce their figures in previous years, they announced the whole group from the beginning so you would know from the get go what you were going to get. This also has relevant implications when it comes to choosing one company's figure over another's (for those collectors who limit themselves to the figures they get). And to those who may pick up a figure they're not totally satisifed with, but that represents a species they care about nonetheless. In this case, having the knowledge that additional versions are coming helps a lot. Especially so because usually, when one resells a figure, does it a lower price, which means they're losing money in the process.

3) And arguably the most relevant for the company itself... By doing this, they could get a very important edge on scientific accuracy over their competitors. If you show a teaser of your upcoming models and people notice inaccuracies, they will point them out. Whether or not they feel like correcting them is another matter, but:

- "Scientific model" making companies should be aware that if their collectors collect their figures, it's because they do care about scientific accuracy, as opposed (or in conjunction) to pop-culture based models. It wouldn't be unexpected that scientific accuracy is a relevant criterion for them. These collectors (that is, theirs) will obviously prefer a model being more scientifically accurate if the chance is present.

- Since they are companies who are meant to produce scientifically accurate (and related to the previous point), modifying a figure to be more scientifically accurate will, qualitatively speaking, make the figure BETTER. Of course, whether or not such a change is possible is another matter. Sometimes a company becomes aware that an upcoming figure they're releasing is inaccurate, but are still unable to do anything about it because production has already started (and most companies aren't willing to do what Haolonggood did with their Ouranosaurus). This is what happened with the BotM Eotyrannus. But by showing these teasers, they do get that knowledge, which would enable a change in case it's possible, and which would otherwise be unfeasible.

- In summary, this practice gives the company doing it an edge in accuracy over others. If you're not going to show your fans any WIPs, you better do your research and make sure the model you are going to show is as good as possible, because it will later be too late for regrets.

And it's not just about comparing between different companies, by showing these teasers, they would get a noticeable boost in accuracy relative to their own, non-previously-teased, figures. Any inaccuracy, as petty as it could be (which is also subjective, because a given inaccuracy doesn't have the same relevance to different collectors) could be fixed.

Not that they would have to blindly believe what a random Internet user has to say, either, but at least they get to see what their supposed accuracy-enhancement suggestions are, and would get the chance to assess the veracity of their statements afterwards (by consulting the literature, other paleoartists reconstructions, etc).

If companies showed these teasers more often, the scientific accuracy of the figures we would be getting would be higher. Hats off to V @vampiredesign (and the Haolonggood team in general) here, and hopefully this teaser could enable some tweaks on some already very promising models.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: