News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO - New for 2024

Started by Renecito, January 15, 2024, 12:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Ambre on January 19, 2024, 05:46:26 PMOK, am I crazy or does the edmontosaurus looks bad? Maybe it's the lack of cheeks that I find disturbing, but it just finds the model to be ugly. The body is fine, but that head looks weird. I'm not educated enough about hadrosaurs to say if it's accurate, but it looks uncanny to me

You are indeed crazy... Jk if that's how you feel that's how you feel, but I will say I personally love it, excited for dinodragons review to see how accurate it is.

thomasw100

Now there is a second batch of in hand pictures on Paleofiguras. I will only post the comparisons.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Faelrin on January 19, 2024, 02:40:16 PMI just realized, this is their first hadrosaur with the updated neck muscles, etc? I know the Parasaurolophus did not have that when I reviewed it.

so is the olorotitan outdated? its such a beautiful figure it would be a shame

Faelrin

avatar_oscars_dinos @oscars_dinos Yes, as is the Lambeosaurus, Parasaurolophus, and Corythosaurus (which also had that oversized head). That said, I imagine they were sculpted or in the works prior to the paper being published in late 2020, because it is clear they adapted its findings for this new Edmontosaurus. Edit: For what it is worth, it seems the Tsintaosaurus included the revised neck musculature, etc. Thanks to avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking and avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator pointing this out in regards to my previous post on the prior page.

Unfortunately it also isn't the only aspect outdated as they also have the outdated mammalian like cheeks given to them. A paper released in 2018 goes over the buccal anatomy, which is where this new Edmontosaurus (and the prior Iguanodon) is up to date on. The hooves aspect on all but the Edmontosaurus (and Iguanodon) are also rather speculative as far as I know.

That said despite those outdated aspects, I still find them rather beautiful, and the best out there for each genus, between being mostly up to date on the anatomy, and their gorgeous colorations. And aside from Parasaurolophus (and Edmontosaurus), there aren't very many alternatives for the rest.

avatar_Ambre @Ambre You should check that 2018 paper out I linked above btw.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Carnoking

Wow, he's kind of putting Wyatt to shame, and that's really saying something!

Faelrin

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking I actually forgot about that one earlier, lol. Thanks to you both for pointing it out. 

It seems I also forgot it in my recent post as well. I'll edit that.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Faelrin on January 19, 2024, 07:22:39 PMavatar_oscars_dinos @oscars_dinos Yes, as is the Lambeosaurus, Parasaurolophus, and Corythosaurus (which also had that oversized head). That said, I imagine they were sculpted or in the works prior to the paper being published in late 2020, because it is clear they adapted its findings for this new Edmontosaurus. Edit: For what it is worth, it seems the Tsintaosaurus included the revised neck musculature, etc. Thanks to avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking and avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator pointing this out in regards to my previous post on the prior page.

Unfortunately it also isn't the only aspect outdated as they also have the outdated mammalian like cheeks given to them. A paper released in 2018 goes over the buccal anatomy, which is where this new Edmontosaurus (and the prior Iguanodon) is up to date on. The hooves aspect on all but the Edmontosaurus (and Iguanodon) are also rather speculative as far as I know.

That said despite those outdated aspects, I still find them rather beautiful, and the best out there for each genus, between being mostly up to date on the anatomy, and their gorgeous colorations. And aside from Parasaurolophus (and Edmontosaurus), there aren't very many alternatives for the rest.

aw man :/ .... I was thinking about sculpting my olortitan a thicker neck but it seems his inaccuracies go farther than that

Ambre

Quote from: Faelrin on January 19, 2024, 07:22:39 PMavatar_oscars_dinos @oscars_dinos Yes, as is the Lambeosaurus, Parasaurolophus, and Corythosaurus (which also had that oversized head). That said, I imagine they were sculpted or in the works prior to the paper being published in late 2020, because it is clear they adapted its findings for this new Edmontosaurus. Edit: For what it is worth, it seems the Tsintaosaurus included the revised neck musculature, etc. Thanks to avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking and avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator pointing this out in regards to my previous post on the prior page.

Oh so they were just weird. I still don't really like it, but I can't blame PNSO for it (except for the colors but I think everyone is tired of eating the same criticism), it's just the animal that was uncanny

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Ambre on January 20, 2024, 01:40:21 AM

Oh so they were just weird. I still don't really like it, but I can't blame PNSO for it (except for the colors but I think everyone is tired of eating the same criticism), it's just the animal that was uncanny

I believe I've looked at that paper before, a lack of jaw muscle doesn't mean there was no tissue there to cover the jaws at least up to a point. It might make it more speculative but not totally out of  the realm of possibility.  I do recall that Asian restorations of hadrosaurs had been removing all that tissue for quite a while before now. All the way back to that sculpture Sideshow used to carry. wasn't part of the Dinosauria line but many thought it was.

Manospundylus gigas

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 20, 2024, 02:32:24 AM
Quote from: Ambre on January 20, 2024, 01:40:21 AM

I believe I've looked at that paper before, a lack of jaw muscle doesn't mean there was no tissue there to cover the jaws at least up to a point. It might make it more speculative but not totally out of  the realm of possibility.  I do recall that Asian restorations of hadrosaurs had been removing all that tissue for quite a while before now. All the way back to that sculpture Sideshow used to carry. wasn't part of the Dinosauria line but many thought it was.
You are right, that paper is about muscles, not oral tissue, Ali himself in that paper states that skin flaps may still be present to assist in chewing, moreover theres a 2023 paper of the mechanics of ornithopod mandible and the way they chewed directly needed skin flaps for it to be effective.

Duna

Skin flaps on cheeks are very likely to have existed (at least partially) as the author of the paper stated. That's why I don't like the PNSO version and I don't like very much the Iguanodon (which I have).

Flaffy

Quote from: Duna on January 20, 2024, 04:28:07 PMSkin flaps on cheeks are very likely to have existed (at least partially) as the author of the paper stated. That's why I don't like the PNSO version and I don't like very much the Iguanodon (which I have).

I mean, another valid interpretation PNSO's apparent lack of traditional "cheeks" would be the Saurian approach. It doesn't look like it has cheeks when the mouth is closed, but they're there, just hidden.

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Flaffy on January 20, 2024, 04:43:29 PM
Quote from: Duna on January 20, 2024, 04:28:07 PMSkin flaps on cheeks are very likely to have existed (at least partially) as the author of the paper stated. That's why I don't like the PNSO version and I don't like very much the Iguanodon (which I have).

I mean, another valid interpretation PNSO's apparent lack of traditional "cheeks" would be the Saurian approach. It doesn't look like it has cheeks when the mouth is closed, but they're there, just hidden.

Well this is a very helpful alternative perspective that's still possible. I shall use this as my "headcanon" (for lack of a better term currently) until new evidence arises. Thanks for this, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy

Flaffy

Quote from: Quiversaurus on January 20, 2024, 04:47:06 PMWell this is a very helpful alternative perspective that's still possible. I shall use this as my "headcanon" (for lack of a better term currently) until new evidence arises. Thanks for this, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy

My pleasure. I reccomend the article by Jaime A. Headden discussing buccal anatomy of sauroposids and its many interpretations for extinct taxa. As linked: https://qilong.wordpress.com/2015/04/07/facial-expressions/

I'm guessing this is why PNSO keeps their ornithopods mouths closed, so people can interpret the figure as they see fit, based on whichever hypothesis they subscribe to.

SidB

People "hedge their bets" for good reason.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SidB on January 20, 2024, 05:16:37 PMPeople "hedge their bets" for good reason.

" The science changes so fast and we're all running to catch up ".

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 20, 2024, 06:50:56 PM
Quote from: SidB on January 20, 2024, 05:16:37 PMPeople "hedge their bets" for good reason.

the Spinosaurus dilemma... 

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: oscars_dinos on January 20, 2024, 09:38:57 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 20, 2024, 06:50:56 PM

the Spinosaurus dilemma... 

True. Prehistoric toy/model companies in general as well as museums even.  Thoughts, theories ,ect are easily to put out there compared to having to find time and money to renovate models and exhibits.

JohannesB

My first acquisition from PNSO in ages, this Edmontosaurus. Via Lana Time Shop with free shipping. Now we will have to see what customs is going to steal from me. In any case, I'm looking forward to having this beauty in my hands - worth 60 bucks I guess. Hoping there will be more big ornithopods coming from PNSO..

thomasw100

Quote from: JohannesB on January 21, 2024, 02:37:43 PMMy first acquisition from PNSO in ages, this Edmontosaurus. Via Lana Time Shop with free shipping. Now we will have to see what customs is going to steal from me. In any case, I'm looking forward to having this beauty in my hands - worth 60 bucks I guess. Hoping there will be more big ornithopods coming from PNSO..

It is indeed a beautiful model and PNSO seems to have improved again if we look at this Edmontosaurus and the recent Spinosaurus. I would certainly like if they would make more ornithopods and a remake of the huge Shantungosaurus would be a good start. A Saurolophus would be great as well and I would like to see their take on the Tlatolophus. But I would believe that their next herbivore would be a ceratopsian. I can see a pattern here that they have now released one herbivore from each major group, and following this logic a ceratopsian would be next. But I would guess that before that another theropod would come out and I am betting on a close relative of Spinosaurus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: