News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO - New for 2024

Started by Renecito, January 15, 2024, 12:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: oscars_dinos on July 11, 2024, 05:51:27 PMI'm usually someone who things the BROWN=BAD train of thinking for pnso is a exaggerated and tired take... but I must say with this release the brown paint scheme is a bit disappointing, maybe its because the sucho had a nice and different color to it but yeah, whish this guy had a splash of yellow or a darker color, just something to make it pop.
The Suchomimus has a brilliant colouration.  But I'm still content with this Baryonyx's colouration.  I'm glad it doesn't have more yellow than it appears to, as that colour has been used SO much by Safari that I have lots of yellow figures.  I can understand the desire for more yellow from someone who doesn't collect Safari figures though.

Quote from: oscars_dinos on July 11, 2024, 05:51:27 PMI am also a little worried about the tail, its giving me flashbacks to the papo baby spino, that poor things tail is awfully broken lol.
My understanding is theropod tails generally could bend like this, there was a discussion on this forum about it some years ago that concluded that.

Quote from: oscars_dinos on July 11, 2024, 05:51:27 PMAll in all I like this figure but baryonx is one of my fav dinos so I have high expectations. Also the will they wont they with lips is becoming slightly maddening at this point.
Baryonyx is one of my favourite animals too, and I am very happy with this figure.  I'm glad I don't care about whether theropod figures have lips or not, except for therizinosaurians, which interestingly PNSO gave lips to their figure of even before they gave them to their new Yangchuanosaurus.

Sim

Quote from: crazy8wizard on July 11, 2024, 06:34:37 PMI've also noticed that while Haolonggood's Ornithischians are quite spectacular, the large theropods all seem to be kinda ugly in the facial region and they seem to be missing something crucial but I can't tell what (yes, even aside from the lack of lips). 
With regards to Haolonggood's theropods, I think it's been about 50% this and 50% they've been fine.  Haolonggood's Baryonyx, Carnotaurus, Dilophosaurus, Carcharodontosaurus and Megaraptor all look good to me and I like them a lot.  Then there's the Daspletosaurus, Allosaurus, Tyrannosaurus and Therizinosaurus which all look quite ugly to me, and I think what's missing in them is a nice face.

Faelrin

Coloration looks a bit too similar to the Saurophaganax with these initial images, but the sculpt is easily the best out there for Baryonyx I think. If I could afford something like this in the future, I'd love to get it painted up like one of my Ark Baryonyx tames. I'll grab a screenshot later today to show what I mean.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Sim on July 11, 2024, 09:02:28 PM
Quote from: crazy8wizard on July 11, 2024, 06:34:37 PMI've also noticed that while Haolonggood's Ornithischians are quite spectacular, the large theropods all seem to be kinda ugly in the facial region and they seem to be missing something crucial but I can't tell what (yes, even aside from the lack of lips). 
With regards to Haolonggood's theropods, I think it's been about 50% this and 50% they've been fine.  Haolonggood's Baryonyx, Carnotaurus, Dilophosaurus, Carcharodontosaurus and Megaraptor all look good to me and I like them a lot.  Then there's the Daspletosaurus, Allosaurus, Tyrannosaurus and Therizinosaurus which all look quite ugly to me, and I think what's missing in them is a nice face.

The Carcharodontosaurus, Dilophosaurus, and Megaraptor are all really good, I will agree on that. Although I mean something specific looks like it's missing, not just a general "it doesn't look good"

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: oscars_dinos on July 11, 2024, 06:54:15 PM
Quote from: Turkeysaurus on July 11, 2024, 06:18:02 PMI still like suchomimus more. Which one would you buy between Two?

I think we need to see some in hand photos before we make a decision.

I like Suchomimus  colors and patters a bit more.

Joel1905

Quote from: Carnoking on July 11, 2024, 01:17:19 PMGood to see them back after a quiet month. Maybe not the most exciting release but certainly looks good. Glad I held off on the HLG release, I prefer the extra bulk and lack of crocodilian scutes on this one.

Perhaps this and the Tyrannotitan release suggest PNSO are going back to unfinished business with their large theropods. Can we expect a new lipless Tyrannosaur next?

A new lipless Tyrannosaur? I bloody hope not. Their next Tyrannosaur needs lips.

Paleofiguras said the Tyrannotitan was an older sculpt made from before the lip switch, and Spinosaurids are often depicted as lipless anyway.

Besides, PNSO revealed a large bronze statue of a heavily lipped Tyrannosaurus Rex recently.

Carnoking

Quote from: Joel1905 on July 11, 2024, 11:08:48 PM
Quote from: Carnoking on July 11, 2024, 01:17:19 PMGood to see them back after a quiet month. Maybe not the most exciting release but certainly looks good. Glad I held off on the HLG release, I prefer the extra bulk and lack of crocodilian scutes on this one.

Perhaps this and the Tyrannotitan release suggest PNSO are going back to unfinished business with their large theropods. Can we expect a new lipless Tyrannosaur next?

A new lipless Tyrannosaur? I bloody hope not. Their next Tyrannosaur needs lips.

Paleofiguras said the Tyrannotitan was an older sculpt made from before the lip switch, and Spinosaurids are often depicted as lipless anyway.

Besides, PNSO revealed a large bronze statue of a heavily lipped Tyrannosaurus Rex recently.

I was thinking something more along the lines of say, Bistahieversor as opposed to T. rex itself.

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: Carnoking on July 11, 2024, 11:31:24 PM
Quote from: Joel1905 on July 11, 2024, 11:08:48 PM

I was thinking something more along the lines of say, Bistahieversor as opposed to T. rex itself.
Or a lipped T. mex (Big Mac) 

SRF

I also wonder if PNSO still has some lipless Tyrannosaurs in their backlog. Their artwork that was included with the Museum Line Cameron has a lot of smaller Tyrannosauroids that don't have a figure yet but if I'm not mistaken, also a Nanuqsaurus. We know for a fact that PNSO has artwork and a fleshed out character for that taxon so it's likely that will turn into a model as well.

I still think the first lipped Tyrannosaurid from PNSO will be a genus that they've released prior. My bet still is that it will be Tarbosaurus.
But today, I'm just being father

Joel1905

Quote from: SRF on July 12, 2024, 07:04:58 AMI also wonder if PNSO still has some lipless Tyrannosaurs in their backlog. Their artwork that was included with the Museum Line Cameron has a lot of smaller Tyrannosauroids that don't have a figure yet but if I'm not mistaken, also a Nanuqsaurus. We know for a fact that PNSO has artwork and a fleshed out character for that taxon so it's likely that will turn into a model as well.

I still think the first lipped Tyrannosaurid from PNSO will be a genus that they've released prior. My bet still is that it will be Tarbosaurus.

From a business perspective, I can see their first lipped Tyrannosaur being Tyrannosaurus Rex itself to coincide with Jurassic 7 and WWD 2025

thomasw100

Lana Time Shop has the Baryonyx now for sale for 42.99 USD. They do not have yet information if this would be in stock or when this would ship. The price seems a bit on the high end, given that the Tyrannotitan has the same price but is considerably larger. Maybe this is a reflection of the fact that Lana seems to have increased prices lately. But the good thing is that they still offer free shipping for Central Europe for the Baryonyx.

SenSx

Free shipping but there are still taxes for Europe for europe for an even highter cost :(

I'll wait to see comparaison with the Safari Baryonyx that I really like, despite the teeth.
I repainted them but they are a bit big.

thomasw100

Quote from: SenSx on July 12, 2024, 09:48:53 AMFree shipping but there are still taxes for Europe for europe for an even highter cost :(

I'll wait to see comparaison with the Safari Baryonyx that I really like, despite the teeth.
I repainted them but they are a bit big.

For the smaller packages that Lana ships with their standard shipping I have never paid additional taxes or customs dues. These shipments come with DHL and are just delivered like anything that comes from within the EU. I believe that they pay any dues up front. The only cases where I had to pay something upon delivery were the large Haolonggood sauropods that came with EMS shipping.

SenSx

I had to pay taxes for the Mamenchisaurus unfortunately...on top of the shipping price, but yes it was bigger and with EMS

Concavenator

Quote from: Concavenator on March 12, 2024, 11:15:41 PMNot Safari, but PNSO Tyrannotitan is coming. We don't know when, but it is.  :(

Just like this, Paleofiguras told me an Ichthyovenator is coming as well...  :( They told me it's been confirmed since last year alongside the Baryonyx and the Tyr4nn0tit4n. So we can expect one to show up at some time.

Quote from: thomasw100 on July 11, 2024, 02:56:13 PMAnd good that we get a theropod that is not again from the Carcharodontosauridae, Allosauridae or Tyrannosauridae.

Not another allosauroid or tyrannosauroid, but another spinosaurid. They've proved they like making those, they also previously launched several Spinosaurus, the Suchomimus and a thing called "Sinopliosaurus". Personally, I'm tired of PNSO always releasing the same type of animal over and over again (I think they only made the new Lufengosaurus because it's a Chinese species, and a relevant one, at that, otherwise I don't think they would've bothered to make it; same goes for Sinosaurus if it ever gets made by them). Well, at least this time it's a Baryonyx... Not a genus I'm interested in (I prefer Suchomimus), but I'd rather they hadn't made the "Sinopliosaurus". And at least it's an important, not scrappy taxon, unlike the Tyrannotitan and others.

The fact that PNSO have made figures of genera like Zhuchengtyrannus, Saurophaganax, Mapusaurus, "Sinopliosaurus", Tyrannotitan, and Ichthyovenator (at some point) before iconic and important animals like Dilophosaurus or Velociraptor (if they ever do?) really gets on my nerves. These choices of animals are making me lose interest in the company altogether, though at least I can save money and space on those figures and instead invest them in figures they produced of actually well-known and important animals like Zuul, Edmontosaurus, Deinocheirus, Suchomimus, etc, I have still to catch up on...

Quote from: Sim on July 11, 2024, 04:47:46 PMIt makes me realise that PNSO making a Wuerhosaurus wasn't bad after all, a company making a species another has made can still be good and give people options they like.

In my opinion, it was a bad idea. Not only is it a fragmentary species (with several good figures before it), they couldn't even get a basic accuracy aspect like the manus right. If they'd gotten the stegosaurian's manus right, that would have at least been something they could have gotten right.

I am of the opinion that, once a species gets a good figure, other options should ideally be explored, just to offer a higher diversity of good figures of different taxa. But in case > 1 good figures of a taxon are released, I think they should ideally represent taxa known from a sufficient amount of material. I don't think several good figures of a creature whose appearance is mostly speculative makes sense. Especially when there are so many extinct animals with mostly known appearances that receive little to no attention. But that's just me, and needless to say, I respect other people's opinion.

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 11, 2024, 02:26:33 AMUnless I'm very mistaken, that's a stegosaur genus with no plate material preserved. I guess they could really go wild on the shape!

No need to go creative like that if they pick Hesperosaurus or Kentrosaurus instead, for example.  ;)

Bread

Quote from: Concavenator on July 12, 2024, 01:03:19 PMI am of the opinion that, once a species gets a good figure, other options should ideally be explored, just to offer a higher diversity of good figures of different taxa.
Although I generally agree with your sentiments regarding the need for new species to be made; there needs to be consideration for molds already being in the works prior to a new release from another company.

Slightly related to this topic...
I've seen this rhetoric that "PNSO and  Haolonggood are competing for who can produce the superior figure" and while this hobby's market has grown exceptionally in terms of high quality, affordable models from numerous companies, I doubt there really is a competition from company to company standpoint.

thomasw100

Quote from: Concavenator on July 12, 2024, 01:03:19 PMIn my opinion, it was a bad idea. Not only is it a fragmentary species (with several good figures before it), they couldn't even get a basic accuracy aspect like the manus right. If they'd gotten the stegosaurian's manus right, that would have at least been something they could have gotten right.

What is exactly wrong with the manus of the Wuerhosaurus? On my copy I see two separate digits on the medial side and something that looks like an array of three vestigial digits on the lateral side. None of them are distinctly painted or clawed, but this could be due to the small size of the figure. The PNSO Stegosaurus and the new Haolonggood Stegosaurus ungulatus show the differences more clearly, but these are much large figures.

CARN0TAURUS

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator

These companies are trying to make money, even Eofauna needs money to fund research and make new figures.  That's why we have so many T-rex figures out there when there are still so many dinosaurs that don't even have one figure.  From a business standpoint the motivation to have your own version of something that's already been produced is simple.  Their company's version doesn't make your company any money! 

Shane

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on July 12, 2024, 01:38:38 PMavatar_Concavenator @Concavenator

These companies are trying to make money, even Eofauna needs money to fund research and make new figures.  That's why we have so many T-rex figures out there when there are still so many dinosaurs that don't even have one figure.  From a business standpoint the motivation to have your own version of something that's already been produced is simple.  Their company's version doesn't make your company any money! 

You see this across toy companies. Whoever has the DC license will ensure that a Batman is on the shelves. Hasbro always wants to make sure kids can purchase Darth Vader. While diehard collectors may say "I don't need another Vader", the kid just getting his first Star Wars figure will want one. As much as it might seem counter-intuitive to us as collectors, the sales data reflects it, which is why companies will always make sure there's a Batman, a Wolverine, a Vader, or a T-rex on the shelves.

Sim

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator thanks for sharing that Ichthyovenator is coming from PNSO.  I'm probably not going to get it as it's not a species I'm interested in.  I wish PNSO would have made Irritator instead of the second spinosaurid without a known head shape (the first was the "Sinopliosaurus").

PNSO has shown they like making megalosauroids in general, and when was the last time PNSO made a theropod that isn't a megalosauroid, tyrannosauroid or allosauroid?  The answer is in 2022 when they made Deinocheirus and Therizinosaurus.  I mostly agree that it's tiring that PNSO keeps making the same types of animals over and over again, but I am glad they made this Baryonyx as I love it!  And I have to say I would be interested in more megalosauroids from PNSO, e.g. Afrovenator, Irritator, Eustreptospondylus (this one is probably too small for PNSO to make given their preference for large animals), Ceratosuchops (with Riparovenator as its synonym it becomes a quite important taxon).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: