News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO - New for 2024

Started by Renecito, January 15, 2024, 12:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

That would explain things, including why the Wild Safari Baryonyx always looked retro to me.  The Safari Baryonyx would basically be a reconstruction of Baryonyx from the 1980s.  Modern reconstructions of Baryonyx have a longer snout and I trust those more than the original reconstruction that had the limitations of its time.  I've added Jaime Headden's reconstruction below, it shows a longer preserved lower jaw.

Silvanusaurus

As a dedicated Baryonyx collector with most of the Baryonyx figures that have ever existed (excluding the Jurassic Park/World toys), I am very excited about this one, I'd been hoping PNSO would do a Baryonyx for ages, given how beautiful their suchomimus is. It definitely looks much more elegant and lifelike than any other Baryonyx figure I have. The safari is quite nice but it looks like a toy, this looks like an animal. I can't wait. I would love to see a lipped Baryonyx at some point though. 

Sim

I've found a photo of the Baryonyx skull bones and I've compared the Wild Safari figure to them below.  The Safari's head still looks too short to me.

thomasw100

New edition of the Museum line Stegosaurus with improved paint scheme, as per Paleofiguras. An obvious difference is the bright highlighting on the head and the neck. Haolonggood has called and PNSO has answered.

thomasw100

Another PNSO video from their collaboration with the Shanxi museum. This time about the ankylosaur Jindipelta zuoyunensis. The state of preservation is just amazing, with largely complete armor plates.

Flaffy

The new Stegosaurus's plates look slightly more refined. But I find the more obvious facial highlights less natural than the original version.

Credit: B @Bokisaurus

SenSx

Thanks for the explanations on the Baryonyx, I'm definitely picking the PNSO now.

oscars_dinos

the fact that they release an updated stego a month after I ordered mines hurts me

Sim

I prefer the original museum line Stegosaurus.  But I can hardly see a difference between the two.

Concavenator

Quote from: thomasw100 on July 12, 2024, 08:39:12 PMThe drawback is of course that smaller genera are not produced at all by PNSO and Haolonggood. A good approach could be if they would establish a separate line for smaller genera in something like 1:15 or so. Then there would be one line for the large to medium or even moderately small genera and another one for the small ones but possibly also some medium sized genera.

That would be a great idea indeed. Hopefully PNSO, Haolonggood, and Eofauna, too, will consider it. I think 1:18 would make for a good scale for small animals, that way those figures could be in scale with most of the BotM stuff (even if those figures are not always accurate to their advertised scale), and probably other action figures as well (the only action figures I'm familiar with are those by Creative Beast Studio).

As for the updated Stegosaurus, I prefer it over the original. But I'm staying with my Safari Sophie.

Ikessauro

Quote from: thomasw100 on July 13, 2024, 04:59:09 PMNew edition of the Museum line Stegosaurus with improved paint scheme, as per Paleofiguras. An obvious difference is the bright highlighting on the head and the neck. Haolonggood has called and PNSO has answered.

Sure did. IN THE WORST WAY POSSIBLE. I hate it when companies do this. To me is a statement they don't care for their customers, only wish to suck as much money as they can from us. Does not make me feel as if they are listening to fans and making better product. If feels like they are doing some cheap adjustments to an existing product everyone already bought, so they can sell it again. A disrespectful marketing strategy. Here is a slightly better painted version of the expensive model you already bought, please buy it again. Makes me feel like a fool for having bought the first version.
Makes me question if I should buy any of their models right away upon release or wait a year or two for a upgraded paint job. The only possible way I could consider something like this ok is if it was a complete repaint, 100% different paint scheme. PNSO's models are way to expensive to be making "variants".

thomasw100

Quote from: oscars_dinos on July 13, 2024, 07:23:06 PMthe fact that they release an updated stego a month after I ordered mines hurts me

I would not get too frustrated over this. The sculpt is identical and the paint scheme has some features which might be better but also some that in my view are worse. I agree with some others here that this bright highlight on the head looks a bit odd. This is definitely better on the first edition. The only thing that I would be a bit unhappy about would be to have missed out on all the artwork included with the new edition. Paleofiguras has posted some of this.

thomasw100

Quote from: Ikessauro on July 13, 2024, 08:34:48 PM
Quote from: thomasw100 on July 13, 2024, 04:59:09 PMNew edition of the Museum line Stegosaurus with improved paint scheme, as per Paleofiguras. An obvious difference is the bright highlighting on the head and the neck. Haolonggood has called and PNSO has answered.

Sure did. IN THE WORST WAY POSSIBLE. I hate it when companies do this. To me is a statement they don't care for their customers, only wish to suck as much money as they can from us. Does not make me feel as if they are listening to fans and making better product. If feels like they are doing some cheap adjustments to an existing product everyone already bought, so they can sell it again. A disrespectful marketing strategy. Here is a slightly better painted version of the expensive model you already bought, please buy it again. Makes me feel like a fool for having bought the first version.
Makes me question if I should buy any of their models right away upon release or wait a year or two for a upgraded paint job. The only possible way I could consider something like this ok is if it was a complete repaint, 100% different paint scheme. PNSO's models are way to expensive to be making "variants".

I agree with you on this and this is why I will definitely not buy this new version. If they had given the adult Stegosaurus at least a completely new pose even if they had kept all other features of the sculpt the same this would be maybe worth it. But not a repaint with some hardly visible adjustments which are no better or worse than the first edition.

suspsy

That colour scheme looks dulls to me.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sim

The only complaint about the PNSO museum series Stegosaurus was the colouration of the adult.  The sculpt is top-class, so there is no reason for PNSO to change it.  I'm surprised they kept the new colouration so close to the original version's.  It seems pointless to make such a minor change...

TlatolophusJuanorum

I would find it more reasonable to individually buy that ton of posters missing for the ones we buy it ages ago. It's like that Smithers' meme
"tHe PoStErS aRe NeW"

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Sim on July 13, 2024, 08:59:07 PMThe only complaint about the PNSO museum series Stegosaurus was the colouration of the adult.  The sculpt is top-class, so there is no reason for PNSO to change it.  I'm surprised they kept the new colouration so close to the original version's.  It seems pointless to make such a minor change...

I think they did same with Ankylosaurus. I bought new version but it doesn't look that much different than old. I agree it looks like a pointless minor change. I wouldn't even say for better tbh.

Turkeysaurus

I think what Haolonggood does better. You can select whatever variant you want. When it gets new better looking paint variant later on it feels like you are decieved by the company.

Fortunately new PNSO paint variants are pretty much same as old so there is no reason for feeling down...or buy it.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Ikessauro on July 13, 2024, 08:34:48 PM

I mean, at least they advertise the variants. Every other company does this exact thing (minor change in paint operations, usually for the worse), but don't advertise that they did it, and keep the original photos in all their promotional materials and online retailer listings, so it's a total crap shoot what version you're going to receive.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Elengassen

I don't care for this. Doesn't look natural at all. It reminds me of those racing cars with a stripe painted down the side. Glad I've already got the original version.
One day we will know the truth about Spinosaurus... but not today.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: