News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich's future

Started by tyrantqueen, January 12, 2013, 05:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

Quote from: Charlie P. on February 22, 2016, 01:02:13 AM
Earlier "Replica Saurs" weren't better than "World of History" models released since 2012.

At least they did some decent marine reptiles, and the Desmatosuchus. They have yet to make anything note-worthy since...well, then (2005!).

Dinomike

Quote from: Charlie P. on February 22, 2016, 04:52:18 AM
Honestly both Pentaceratops and Kentrosaurus are good.
I second that!  They are the only Sleich models I own and both are exceptionally good! I wonder why they fail to produce more like that since they clearly have the talent.
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Charlie P. on February 22, 2016, 01:02:13 AM
Earlier "Replica Saurs" weren't better than "World of History" models released since 2012.

Personally I disagree, while they certainly were very inaccurate, I find the Replica-saurus figures to be on the whole much more stylistically appealing than their dinosaurs of recent years. They had a distinct murky retro aesthetic that I really like, whereas many of the World of History figures seem to have been designed to be as visually obnoxious and gaudy as possible.

DC

Schleich always has had a conservative design style from the beginning but the designs have been original not copies. They have a tradition of keeping a consistent style. Something is happening at Schleich as they have released a wide range of sizes the last 2 years.  The dinosaurs they picked this year were outside their established repertoire.  Their accessories are very interesting the best things they make in my opinion much better than the Play Mobil. The small pterosaurs, theropods and stegosaur that come with the play sets are worth collecting if you can find them. They have been reaching out asking for input this year.  With the high turn over in their marketing staff it is anyone's guess if that will follow through. It seems to me change is in the air.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Libraraptor

Quote from: DC on February 29, 2016, 06:52:49 PM
Schleich always has had a conservative design style from the beginning but the designs have been original not copies. They have a tradition of keeping a consistent style. Something is happening at Schleich as they have released a wide range of sizes the last 2 years.  The dinosaurs they picked this year were outside their established repertoire.  Their accessories are very interesting the best things they make in my opinion much better than the Play Mobil. The small pterosaurs, theropods and stegosaur that come with the play sets are worth collecting if you can find them. They have been reaching out asking for input this year.  With the high turn over in their marketing staff it is anyone's guess if that will follow through. It seems to me change is in the air.

::) I´ll begin taking Schleich as seriously as any other random company when they do at least five convincing, stunning prehistoric animals in a row. And when I see a Papo or a Bullyland shelf in a toy shop next to a Schleich one. I´ll bet both will never, ever happen again.
So Schleich is dead for me. As to their Barapasaurus: Shut up and take my money.

tyrantqueen

I have a suspicion they just use google image search for pictures and base their figure on the most popular results.

Jetoar

I think Schleich have done a good work now. Its company is one of the oldest and the first that I met because Safari was really strange and now doesnt exist in my country. Bullyland was its enemy but now, sadly, is a shadow. I think Schleich has awakened with force now and I think this company has a good number of followers as the younger companies as Collecta and Papo. I am a follower of Schleich ever and I think a dinosaur have not be accuarte to be beutiful and atractive for the customers.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

CityRaptor

Well, many of Schleich's Dinosaur are neither accurate nor beautiful.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

terrorchicken

QuoteTheir accessories are very interesting the best things they make in my opinion much better than the Play Mobil.

yes! I really think they should just focus on making diorama sets :))  That waterfall is a knockout and the watering hole is amazing! I keep being tempted to get it even though I could barley afford it and have no idea where Id display it. But I keep picturing how great itd look with creatceous dinosaurs(just needs to remove some of the plants.)

CityRaptor

And leaving their share of the Dinosaur market to someone else? Unlikely, given their general methods.
Oh no

terrorchicken

I know theyd never do that, its just wishful thinking. I just dont get how they can be so good in one area and so bad in another.

I wonder if its that they just see dinosaurs as fantasy creatures, b/c their dragons are pretty bad too...maybe the dragon designer is the one making the dinosaurs.

CityRaptor

Given their Dilophosaurus, one really gets the impression that the Dinosaurs are Dragons Trope is in effect.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 29, 2016, 09:43:13 PM
I have a suspicion they just use google image search for pictures and base their figure on the most popular results.

I think you are right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5KRawOXy4U
Check the computer screen behind the guy carving the T.rex out of wax. It's the TLW T.rex!
Oh no

MLMjp

It is very likely. But then how they could mess up the Giganotosaurus heads (Both the older and new one) when the majority of images does not show that shape with those oversized fenestra and the lack of crest in front of the eyes? I guess that it is one of this company´s talent. They do it wrong when its difficult to do it wrong. :P

Libraraptor

Quote from: MLMjp on March 01, 2016, 10:22:42 PM

It is very likely, But then how the could mess up the Giganotosaurus heads (Both the older and new one) when the majority of images does not show that shape with those oversized fenestra and the lack of crest in front of the eyes? I guess that it is one of this company´s talent. They do it wrong when its difficult to do it wrong. :P

;D ;D Your last sentence made my day!

Appalachiosaurus

Capitalism naturally breeds better products, and Schleich is about as capitalist as a company can get. There is definitely a push for more accurate dinosaurs, that and the fact that they are missing an entire demographic (however small) makes me think we will see a slow and steady increase in the quality of their figures. The growth is already apparent these last years.

SBell

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on March 01, 2016, 11:07:44 PM
Capitalism naturally breeds better products, and Schleich is about as capitalist as a company can get. There is definitely a push for more accurate dinosaurs, that and the fact that they are missing an entire demographic (however small) makes me think we will see a slow and steady increase in the quality of their figures. The growth is already apparent these last years.

Capitalism breeds cheaper models and respond to higher sales--Schleich has been regressing for over ten years now, and their sales and market share continue to increase at the expense of many, better brands.

If they were still interested in actually being the best, they would be--they have the means. Instead, they are moving to be the biggest, and it's working. The name "Schleich' is enough to get people to buy them (25 years ago, they had a reputation as brittle and expensive, and were hard to find outside Germany...) regardless of what they make, or what the quality is like--why spend more if the models will sell either way?

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: SBell on March 02, 2016, 01:38:14 AM
Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on March 01, 2016, 11:07:44 PM

Capitalism breeds cheaper models and respond to higher sales--Schleich has been regressing for over ten years now, and their sales and market share continue to increase at the expense of many, better brands.

If they were still interested in actually being the best, they would be--they have the means. Instead, they are moving to be the biggest, and it's working. The name "Schleich' is enough to get people to buy them (25 years ago, they had a reputation as brittle and expensive, and were hard to find outside Germany...) regardless of what they make, or what the quality is like--why spend more if the models will sell either way?

That might be the case from where you live, but here schleich is barely a thing. Sure their models are everywhere, but it isn't a household name. Kids don't specifically ask for a schleich dinosaur toy. The name really isn't enough, the only brand I know of which can claim that is Jurassic World. Schleich wants as much money as possible, which may mean tapping into our little communities' wallets. Schleich has, and will continue to, make better and more accurate models than they have before (just look at anhanguera, pentaceratops, kentrosaurus, etc.). They definitely aren't going to jump to CollectA or Wild Safari level standards next year or even the year after that, but it will happen. We went out and bought those models, putting money in schleich's wallets. Even a hundred more sales is enough to sway a companies vote. It isn't about if the models will sell, but whether they will sell more. Why settle for making the same thing over and over again when you can spend a little more money on the models if the chances of an even greater profit are laid out on the table?

sauroid

Quote from: MLMjp on March 01, 2016, 10:22:42 PM

It is very likely. But then how they could mess up the Giganotosaurus heads (Both the older and new one) when the majority of images does not show that shape with those oversized fenestra and the lack of crest in front of the eyes? I guess that it is one of this company´s talent. They do it wrong when its difficult to do it wrong. :P
they do it wrong for the sake of annoying all of us
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

CityRaptor

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on March 02, 2016, 08:00:38 AM
Schleich has, and will continue to, make better and more accurate models than they have before (just look at anhanguera, pentaceratops, kentrosaurus, etc.). They definitely aren't going to jump to CollectA or Wild Safari level standards next year or even the year after that, but it will happen. We went out and bought those models, putting money in schleich's wallets. Even a hundred more sales is enough to sway a companies vote. It isn't about if the models will sell, but whether they will sell more. Why settle for making the same thing over and over again when you can spend a little more money on the models if the chances of an even greater profit are laid out on the table?

So yes, Schleich has a few good models, but they also keep churning out bad models. And they tend to remake the same species over and over again.
Oh no

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 02, 2016, 10:05:04 AM
Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on March 02, 2016, 08:00:38 AM
Schleich has, and will continue to, make better and more accurate models than they have before (just look at anhanguera, pentaceratops, kentrosaurus, etc.). They definitely aren't going to jump to CollectA or Wild Safari level standards next year or even the year after that, but it will happen. We went out and bought those models, putting money in schleich's wallets. Even a hundred more sales is enough to sway a companies vote. It isn't about if the models will sell, but whether they will sell more. Why settle for making the same thing over and over again when you can spend a little more money on the models if the chances of an even greater profit are laid out on the table?

So yes, Schleich has a few good models, but they also keep churning out bad models. And they tend to remake the same species over and over again.

Slow and steady wins the race. It starts with one good model, then two, then three, etc. There will still be another terrible Giganotosaurus or Velociraptor, but the Baraposaurus and Dunkleosteus of this year show they actually do care about the quality of their dinosaurs (even if is only a little bit).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: