News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich's future

Started by tyrantqueen, January 12, 2013, 05:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bfler

I don't think that they will improve their dinosaur figures, because it's a niche market. The main outlet of Schleich is Germany and there much more people buy fantasy figures like elves or knights, which in my opinion look quite good, or the modern animals.
And the target audience are mainly very young people, who don't care about the anatomy.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

When does Schleigh announce 2014 figures? Not that I am even allowing myself to hope that they will be an improvement in quality, but...still..
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

CityRaptor

Quote from: Bfler on September 14, 2013, 07:14:52 AM
And the target audience are mainly very young people, who don't care about the anatomy.

Wasn't that even confirmed by Schleich? Given that the last serious Dinosaur book released in Germany was released was in 2010 and stood out like an oasis in a desert of terrible children's books, this is no surprise.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on September 19, 2013, 04:03:18 PM
When does Schleigh announce 2014 figures? Not that I am even allowing myself to hope that they will be an improvement in quality, but...still..

QuoteI don't think that they will improve their dinosaur figures, because it's a niche market. The main outlet of Schleich is Germany and there much more people buy fantasy figures like elves or knights, which in my opinion look quite good, or the modern animals.

I'm not sure why people are still replying to this thread ??? I think the question that I asked was answered pretty satisfactorily by SBell a few pages back. Be that as it may, I'm not really interested in Schleich anymore, or trying to get them to improve.

I think they're content with making their horrible JP clones right now. Being the massive business conglomerate that they are, I doubt they would listen to anything that we collectors have to say.

I heard from another forum that Schleich have a tactic they like to use to eliminate smaller, more collector orientated companies they perceive as a threat- they buy them out and then let the brand fade into oblivion.

Oh, and I forgot to mention- from an everyday person's point of view, Schleich's dinosaurs are actually pretty high quality. I mean, the details are sculpted pretty well, the paintjobs are bright and colourful, and the toys themselves are made of hard, rigid plastic. A safe bet that young children would enjoy these toys. We only dislike their models because we are dinosaur buffs, and we can point out the mistakes and faults in the models.

If anyone here likes Schleich, that's fine. I am just saying that I don't have any hopes for them changing their models any time soon.

docronnie

I like Schleich for the reasons you've mentioned, TQ.  :)
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: docronnie on September 19, 2013, 10:42:18 PM
I like Schleich for the reasons you've mentioned, TQ.  :)
That's cool. 8)

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Oh, and I forgot to mention- from an everyday person's point of view, Schleich's dinosaurs are actually pretty high quality. I mean, the details are sculpted pretty well, the paintjobs are bright and colourful, and the toys themselves are made of hard, rigid plastic. A safe bet that young children would enjoy these toys. We only dislike their models because we are dinosaur buffs, and we can point out the mistakes and faults in the models.

If anyone here likes Schleich, that's fine. I am just saying that I don't have any hopes for them changing their models any time soon.
[/quote]

Well said, tyrantqueen.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Hellraptor

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 13, 2013, 06:51:41 PM
Quote from: Hellraptor on September 13, 2013, 06:46:15 PM
I think they should start ripping of papo in making good details instead of just doin dinosaurs that are supposed be a certain species but looks clumsy and dull like this years Carnotaurus and Styracosaurus. Maybe not ripping of papo entierly but try to make theris dinosaurs more improved .
They already are ripping Papo off, pretty much (articulated jaws). They just don't do it very well.

And thats even worse, if you are gonna rip somthing off, do it well then.
Taking dinosaurs of this islandis the worst idea in the long, sad story of bad ideas

Raptoress

Sorry, but I'm going to be completely honest and have a different opinion to everyone else, even if my point of view is unpopular.

I absolutely love the newer Schleich dinosaurs and animal figures. They seem really good quality and I really don't see how they are 'inaccurate'. If anything I find Safari to be of lower quality. CollectA is ok, but I hate their earlier models. They're just awful. No detail in them at all.

Schleich of course has had their crappy models in the past. Especially that horrendous upright T Rex. But the rest of their figures are great and have detail unlike a lot of other brands I've seen.

The only brand I like more than Schleich is Papo, though. Papo is number one for me.

My only suggestion for Schleich is to improve their variety of dinosaur species in their figures.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Aliciaraptor on October 08, 2013, 01:58:03 PM
Sorry, but I'm going to be completely honest and have a different opinion to everyone else, even if my point of view is unpopular.

I absolutely love the newer Schleich dinosaurs and animal figures. They seem really good quality and I really don't see how they are 'inaccurate'. If anything I find Safari to be of lower quality. CollectA is ok, but I hate their earlier models. They're just awful. No detail in them at all.

Schleich of course has had their crappy models in the past. Especially that horrendous upright T Rex. But the rest of their figures are great and have detail unlike a lot of other brands I've seen.

The only brand I like more than Schleich is Papo, though. Papo is number one for me.

My only suggestion for Schleich is to improve their variety of dinosaur species in their figures.
No need to apologise :) I might not agree with your opinion, (and I know I've said unflattering things about Schleich dinos in the past) but I have come to realise that it makes the world a diverse and more interesting place when people have differing opinions.

And their animals are very good.

sauroid

Quote from: Aliciaraptor on October 08, 2013, 01:58:03 PM

i agree with you re: Schleich's modern animal figures. they are cool/lovely. :)
but their newer dinos...
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Takama

I have Started to Collect all of there World of History Dinosaurs lately, and i must say there getting more diverse with there species.   Who would of guessed that they would even Consider a Barapasaurus.

But what i heard is that there trying to emulate Playmobil now by selling playsets and playscapes which is the reason that there Smaller Dinosaurs are now Retired.

Honestly I was mad at them fro making small species that i wanted everyone else to make be bundled Exclusively with large playsets that include figurines that they already released in the past, and as a result alredy own in my collection.    I was alos mad at them for repeating the same blasted species for two years in a row.  But the That Barapasaurus gave me hope for the company that they can make a divers collection just like they did with the Replicasaurus models that i never had the chance to collect(mainly because they were not as common back then as they are now).

Of course they still make Greedy decisions like the fact that there Newer small Dinosaurs are only available as a bundle with a model that was released previously makeing me hesitant to collect them.

For instance, All of the Smaller Dinosaurs Released last year are avlible in box sets of two. But the two new ones Released in the same size (Saichania and Dimorphodon) Are only avalible in Box sets. Now you would think that they would be kind for those with low room, and Bundle these two brand new models together in there own new for 2016 two pack, but nope they had to sell them in two diffrent packages and bundl them with repaints of models that are alredy avalible in the other two packs.    >:(

SBell

I just saw this box set in store for the first time, and it pretty much sums up why I don't buy Schleich dinos anymore.

That green thing is supposed to be Therizinosaurus. Never mmind that it has no feathers--the figure is pretty much Velociraptor with Marvel's Wolverine claws...and a beak, stuck on the tip of its snout. It doesn't even make sense as a figure.

And in March, the red version comes out with the Dimorphodon!

The terrible snout stands out better. I think Schleich is trying to make us appreciate Mojo's dinosaurs or something.

Libraraptor

They have got a decent Microraptor, coloured nearly exactly the same as their parrot.
Unfourtunately they put it in a Play Set with only horrible figures.

tyrantqueen

They're not on my radar anymore. The Kentro was good, but everything else is an easy pass. Saving my money for figures that are worth collecting.

sauroid

thanks to their movable jaw/blunted teeth, it is now even easier to say **LL NO! to most of their new prehistoric (and dragon) figures.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Sim

Quote from: SBell on February 21, 2016, 03:56:21 AM
I just saw this box set in store for the first time, and it pretty much sums up why I don't buy Schleich dinos anymore.

That green thing is supposed to be Therizinosaurus. Never mmind that it has no feathers--the figure is pretty much Velociraptor with Marvel's Wolverine claws...and a beak, stuck on the tip of its snout. It doesn't even make sense as a figure.

The terrible snout stands out better. I think Schleich is trying to make us appreciate Mojo's dinosaurs or something.

That Therizinosaurus does look a lot like Schleich's "Velociraptor" with the additions you mentioned!  (Schleich's mini "Velociraptor" even lacks sickle claws!)  Apparently it does have feathers, which are arranged in a weird way, on the head making it look even uglier: http://toyseum.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/therizinosaurus-schleich-world-of.html

suspsy

Regardless of how poor their dinosaur products are, I'm sure Schleich has a very bright future thanks to their ruthless, take-no-prisoners business style.

And it is precisely because of that style that I will not purchase any of their products.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CityRaptor

That's for sure.

Quote from: Sim on February 21, 2016, 02:54:14 PM

That Therizinosaurus does look a lot like Schleich's "Velociraptor" with the additions you mentioned!  (Schleich's mini "Velociraptor" even lacks sickle claws!)  Apparently it does have feathers, which are arranged in a weird way, on the head making it look even uglier: http://toyseum.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/therizinosaurus-schleich-world-of.html

Not to mention that both were released in green first and then in red again. So was their big T.rex. I think they like to paint things red...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Sim

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 21, 2016, 04:43:38 PM
Quote from: Sim on February 21, 2016, 02:54:14 PM

Not to mention that both were released in green first and then in red again.

And both are garbage as well.  Just beacause they're aimed at young children doesn't mean they shouldn't try to make them look like the animals Schleich says they are, especially since Schleich markets them as realistic and good to use in education.  I also don't understand why Schleich's prehistoric figures tend to look so grotesque.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: