News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Favourite plant-eating dinosaurs

Started by Sim, July 11, 2024, 06:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of these plant-eating dinosaurs are your favourites?

Apatosaurus
10 (37%)
Amargasaurus
6 (22.2%)
Ankylosaurus
6 (22.2%)
Brachiosaurus
11 (40.7%)
Brontosaurus
8 (29.6%)
Diplodocus
8 (29.6%)
Edmontosaurus
7 (25.9%)
Gallimimus
5 (18.5%)
Giraffatitan
7 (25.9%)
Iguanodon
10 (37%)
Pachycephalosaurus
8 (29.6%)
Pachyrhinosaurus
9 (33.3%)
Parasaurolophus
5 (18.5%)
Plateosaurus
8 (29.6%)
Protoceratops
4 (14.8%)
Stegosaurus
12 (44.4%)
Styracosaurus
8 (29.6%)
Therizinosaurus
8 (29.6%)
Triceratops
13 (48.1%)
Argentinosaurus
3 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Sim

I've been thinking about which is more popular among people, Stegosaurus or Triceratops.  This made me think it would be interesting to have a poll for the most popular plant-eating dinosaurs.  Perhaps this poll will show which plant-eating dinosaurs are the most popular!

crazy8wizard

Since they aren't listed, likely to not being as big of household names here are some of my other favorite herbivorous dinosaurs

Supersaurus
Torosaurus
Nigersaurus
Camarasaurus
Barosaurus
Gargoyleosaurus
Sauroposeidon
Aquilops
And Mira-oops, I mean Dacentrurus  ;)

Lot of sauropods in my list because Sauropods are my favorite group of herbivorous dinosaurs

Bread

I'm glad hadrosaurs are becoming more popular within the last 15 years. For a while they were seen as boring and easy therapod food.

Pliosaurking

For me triceratops has always been my favourite animal to have ever lived.

Faelrin

Some of my favorites not present in the poll include:

-Borealopelta
-Chasmosaurus
-Deinocheirus (edit: I see this one is included in the carnivores poll)
-Diabloceratops
-Dryosaurus
-Kentrosaurus
-Kulindadromeus
-Lambeosaurus
-Nasutoceratops
-Ouranosaurus
-Psittacosaurus
-Sauropelta
-Stegouros
-Zuul

Actually I'm kind of surprised some of those aren't included on the poll considering they are among the most popular herbivores out there.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

I only included the species that to me seemed to be generally well-known and truly capable of being the most popular dinosaurs.  Deinocheirus was found with fish remains in its stomach so I've included it in the meat-eating dinosaurs poll.

crazy8wizard

Meet in the middle and make a favorite omnivorous dinosaur poll with Deinocheirus included!

Halichoeres

I can't really pick favorites but I will say I find plant-eaters more interesting than meat-eaters. Carnivory is kind of the default in vertebrates, and the evolutionary solutions to the problem of getting energy from plants really fascinate me.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

Limiting myself to five I went with...

Edmontosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus
Pachyrhinosaurus
Plateosaurus
Stegosaurus

Concavenator

Went with Apatosaurus, Amargasaurus, Diplodocus, Gallimimus, Pachycephalosaurus, Plateosaurus and Styracosaurus. But I'm very fond of Edmontosaurus, Iguanodon, Pachyrhinosaurus and Stegosaurus as well.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Avian dinosaurs didn't even cross my mind. Gastornis is far from the only one I would go with if including those. I'd also include extinct birds like the giant moa Dinornis and the dodo, both extinct.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Saarlooswolfhound

I chose iguanodon because I love its story of articulation evolution (where does the thumb spike go? etc.) and protoceratops because that has always struck me as a tough little fella given the famous fossils of them.

Going off script though I would like to give Oryctodromeus an honorable mention since its the one of the few native dinos found in my home state and the state dinosaur.

JimoAi

mine is the Ankylosaurus which itself is my favourite dinosaur

Torvosaurus

Argentinosaurus and Alamosaurus aren't on the voting list.

Torvo

Sim

I don't think they are widely-known enough, so I didn't include them.

crazy8wizard

Alamosaurus, not so much, but I hear people mention Argentinosaurus quite a lot. More so than Plateosaurus and Protoceratops in some instances, at least in my area.

thomasw100

I would suggest to include one large titanosaur. The general public is increasingly becoming aware of titanosaurs because of reports in newspapers and magazines about the supposedly largest dinosaur. Then also through special exhibitions like the Patagotitan exhibition in the NHM. Argentinosaurus or Patagotitan may be good candidates for the list.

Sim

Okay, I've added Argentinosaurus to the poll.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.