News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Walking with Dinosaurs 3D toys - new for 2013

Started by DinoToyForum, March 16, 2013, 11:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 06, 2013, 01:54:57 PM
Hmm, Alphadon you say? Would that be the first toy of a Mesozoic Mammal?

Yowies have a couple of marsupial mammals and Yujin make a henkelotherium. That's all the ones I know of so it would be great to see more.

leidy

So, what was in the bags?

Gorgon the Gorgosaurus:

I'm not imagining the Krentz influence here, right?  You guys can see it too?

This is a pretty nice figure.  Even the paint is decent. There's a very light pearlescent blue picking up highlights across the figure, with some neat stripes the length of the body.  The eyes are dotted in the wrong place, but I'm not bothered about that.

I think this one is a beautiful sculpt.  Aside from getting all the details right, it really has the feel of a flesh and blood creature.  The molding on those delicate little arms is great.  Sometimes at that scale they'll merge them with the body to simplify process.  Having them free and correctly articulated does is something I appreciate.

And now we get to my one issue with the figure (Sue T.rex by Safari for comparison):

Gorgon is made from a soft rubbery plastic.  It goes without saying that this figure cannot stand, but with the softness of the material there isn't anything you can do about it.  For all the clumsy proportions of Safari's Sue, that's a perfectly balanced figure.

Oh well.

One solution is to have Gorgon leaning against another figure.

And here's the others:

The green ornithopod is Parksosaurus.  This one to me feels more like a toy sculpt.  There's no suggestion of details or texture lost through molding and reproduction.  Soft, simple, the spines run the length of the neck and no further. It's an appealing little figure.  The paint is clean and straightforward.  I can't really attest to the accuracy of this figure, but it feels a bit anthropomorphized.  It's a funny little pose, but it works.

Yellow theropod up front is Hesperonychus.  Excellent detailing and paint.  Unfortunately it was missing some fingers on the left hand.  For all I know, maybe that's part the character in the film, but I'm guessing this one slipped passed quality control.

The blue bird is Alex, the Alexornis.  I believe it's something of a sidekick in the movie.  The feathered dinos seem to benefit from the most elaborate paint schemes in this set.  I have no complaints.  Everything ended up where it was supposed to,  and the end result is quite striking.

The fatal flaw with Alex is his bendy legs refuse to carry his weight.  At the moment the best solution I have is the using plastic packaging that came with him as a prop.

... And finally, for Trexroarr, who wanted to see the cards:

leidy

Quote from: RolandEden on September 06, 2013, 01:18:20 PM
Well they could be worse. Seeing the photos of the back fromthe bag I saw: The pachyrhinosauurs characters, gorgosaurus, alexornis, another pachyrhinosaurus, edmontosaurus, alphadon, quetzalcoatlus, troodon, and 2 dinosaurs that are green and red in the left of the bag.

Well spotted.  There is indeed a small mammal figure, although I have no idea about the genus.  It's not a very detailed image on the package.  All that writing is just warnings in six different languages. 

I was hoping to get the hadrosaur, but no luck.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 06, 2013, 01:56:20 PM

You mean Pachyrhinosaurs, right? ;) I don't recall seeing any Pachycephosaurs in WWD...

Hmmm...seeing how they compare with bigger, more detailed figures, I think I'll pass on the ceratopsians. There are better figures of Pachys (Papo, and Aaron Doyle's Shapeways print) that are available. I don't like movie tie ins anyway.

yes that was a slip.

You're right about their being better options, and compared to next year's Safari Pachyrhinosaur, these could use a some tightening up.  I don't even like Pachyrhinosaurus.  It's an ugly name for one of the ugliest ceratopsians.  Give me Chasmosaurus, Einiosaurus, or diabloceratops. 

Patchi has grown on me though.  It's such a nice pose.     

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 06, 2013, 03:16:30 AM
They aren't terrible really..about the quality I was expecting for the size. Hopefully there will be larger more detailed figures as well.

There will be.  The back of the box mentions a larger Gorgon figure, ... as well as dino feet toys for stomping in.   Yay.

The box of Pachys was £4.99.  The individual figures were £1.99 each.
For everyone wondering these came from, I chanced upon them rather unexpectedly in a Toy'R'Us.

Seijun

I think they are all brilliant!

The horns above the Gorgos eyes are very odd though.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Roselaar

Oh my, am I seeing no less than three new unique species here?! :)

These figures are pretty decent for their size. I wouldn't mind getting some or all of them.

But I too am hoping for bigger figures to be released.

Trexroarr

Great pics! I wonder what those QR codes are for on the cards. Some kind of mobile card game perhaps?

I'll be checking out my Toys R Us tomorrow. I wonder if they're out here in America, too.

Come check out The Paleo Handbook, today!

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Trexroarr on September 07, 2013, 02:06:18 AM
Great pics! I wonder what those QR codes are for on the cards. Some kind of mobile card game perhaps?

I'll be checking out my Toys R Us tomorrow. I wonder if they're out here in America, too.
They're not, at least not yet. I checked on their website :'(

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Trexroarr

Quote from: Yutyrannus on September 07, 2013, 02:14:56 AM
Quote from: Trexroarr on September 07, 2013, 02:06:18 AM

They're not, at least not yet. I checked on their website :'(
The website does not always reflect what they actually have in the stores. Trust me on that one.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Certainly hoping for the larger figures to be better quality..though these aren't that bad all things considered. The feathered dinos I would certainly pick up for diorama use.

Gwangi

They aren't bad but I particularly taken by the two feathered dinosaurs. The look pretty good.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Hopefully they'll reach us by December. I can't find out as of yet if they will have international distribution but it seems very likely.

Balaur

The feathered dinosaurs are pretty good, but I take issue with the wing feathers feathers. Primaries are not on the second finger,mor any finger. Apart from that theynare fantasice, I just hope the movies dinosaurs don't have that error.

Trexroarr

Nothing on eBay, yet. Literally the only Walking with Dinosaurs 3D product on there are some temporary tattoos.

Balaur

There is supposed to be a Hatching dinosaur egg for this Christmas.

Also, there will be a encyclopedia to all the dinosaurs in the movie. Link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dinosaurs-Encyclopedia-Steve-Brusatte/dp/0062232789/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378525628&sr=1-2&keywords=Walking+with+dinosaurs

I have to say, beside the scaly face, I love the design for the Hesperonychus for the movie (not the toy, the toy is wonderful too) Love the choice of bright yellow. So, happy, for feathered dinosaurs in the movie theatres!

SpartanSquat

I cant imagine some figures like Parkosaurus, Hespronychus and Alexornis are even better than gorgosaurus and pachyrhinosaurus. I hope they will be better near the release of the film. Im surprised to see Parkosaurus. Also there are 2 misssing dinosaurs in the back of the bag: Edmontonia and Chrinotenostes. The first one is my favourite from the movie.

krentz

Neat to see them as toys, warts and all.  I hope I get some!
  I don't think I have any from the Disney movie...mostly because they were such a disappointment.

D

Takama

Quote from: krentz on September 11, 2013, 03:10:58 AM
  Neat to see them as toys, warts and all.  I hope I get some!
  I don't think I have any from the Disney movie...mostly because they were such a disappointment.

D

Well Papos Pachyrhinosaurus seems inspired by your work in the film

pylraster

I hope that by the time the film hits the theaters, there would be bigger figures. Not getting any of these small ones.

ChrisLikesDinos

I'm bummed by the lack of detail on these toys, however Toys R Us has said they will carry WWD 3D toys.. I doubt they mean these, so we may end up seeing more.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I really want some BIG figures to collect..if they're as good or better as the smaller ones I can see a high demand incoming. 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: