News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

New on Ebay

Started by Ikessauro, March 13, 2012, 03:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

I sometimes get that kind of offer when selling on eBay.  I always decline it however.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SBell

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on December 03, 2014, 08:24:27 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 03, 2014, 07:21:08 PM

Why does this happen? Is it because the seller gets an offer outside of eBay? Isn't that against the rules?

Most likely this ^. I know someone who was offered just recently to take something off. In the end he didn't,  and made more money than offered.

I'm guessing it happens frequently with sought after stuff. One thing that may motivate some sellers is getting out of their ebay fees. It's still annoying--like sellers that end auctions right before they end because the value didn't go where they wanted it to

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: SBell on December 03, 2014, 10:32:51 PM

Why does this happen? Is it because the seller gets an offer outside of eBay? Isn't that against the rules?

Most likely this ^. I know someone who was offered just recently to take something off. In the end he didn't,  and made more money than offered.

I'm guessing it happens frequently with sought after stuff. One thing that may motivate some sellers is getting out of their ebay fees. It's still annoying--like sellers that end auctions right before they end because the value didn't go where they wanted it to

Isn't that what a reserve is for? I don't see why people just don't set one.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

SBell

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on December 03, 2014, 11:15:43 PM

Reserves have added fees for sellers. So, again, a person that would end early to avoid fees is probably also someone that would not want to pay reserve fees.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: SBell on December 04, 2014, 01:47:35 AM
Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on December 03, 2014, 11:15:43 PM

Reserves have added fees for sellers. So, again, a person that would end early to avoid fees is probably also someone that would not want to pay reserve fees.
As it happens, you're correct. He/she didn't set a reserve...

Doug Watson

I wonder if anyone else has had this happen to them. I bid on a rare dinosaur that I have been looking to add to my collection for a while, and I set my max bid pretty high. Everything is going pretty well until the auction disappears completely. There is no record of my bidding on it on my eBay account at all. I have a suspicion that the seller may have taken the auction down, but I don't know why. It may be that I am an international bidder, but the seller said in the item description that they were happy to ship internationally. I've had this happen before, and it was on a model kit and it was equally annoying.

This ticks me off because it's a waste of my time and I don't get a chance at buying >:( I don't even get an apology or an explanation.

That's a weird one I know on North American eBay sites if the seller sells the item elsewhere the listing will still appear but usually says "item no longer available". That has happened to listings I was tracking. This happens when a seller has a bricks and mortar store or has listed the item on their own web site and it sells at one of those locations. I would think that is fair as long as there have been no bids but since you had a bid in I think you have a gripe and should ask eBay for an answer. It could be the seller struck an outside deal with an eBay buyer and that is against the rules. The other exception is when the item has been inaccurately described, lost or the seller was selling for a third party and that person pulled the chute but the listing should note that "item no longer available" or " listing ended early for mistake in listing". The last option I can think of is the seller has had his or her membership yanked for an indiscretion. Search the seller's ID and see if he or she is still a registered seller. If he or she still is I would ask eBay for a clarification.

Blade-of-the-Moon

All I can tell you as an ebay member since 2001 is that it happens. eBay won't do anything about it.  A seller has the option to pull the item early for a variety of reasons with no questions asked by eBay. They mark it as damaged or just say " this item is no longer available for sale" and ebay is good with it.  You just have to go into each auction with that in mind. The official way to do this through ebay is the best offer option, but many sellers don't want to pay ebay's fees so they circumvent the system.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 04, 2014, 05:07:21 PM
All I can tell you as an ebay member since 2001 is that it happens. eBay won't do anything about it.  A seller has the option to pull the item early for a variety of reasons with no questions asked by eBay. They mark it as damaged or just say " this item is no longer available for sale" and ebay is good with it.  You just have to go into each auction with that in mind. The official way to do this through ebay is the best offer option, but many sellers don't want to pay ebay's fees so they circumvent the system.

I have been at it since 2000 and I do think it doesn't hurt to ask. If they investigate and find out an outside deal was struck they might dump the guy. A few years back I saw a seller in Asia seller bootleg DVDs of a movie that was still in the theatres and I reported it to eBay and the next day they had pulled his registration and his listings.

0thebigwytec5

I wonder if anyone else has had this happen to them. I bid on a rare dinosaur that I have been looking to add to my collection for a while, and I set my max bid pretty high. Everything is going pretty well until the auction disappears completely. There is no record of my bidding on it on my eBay account at all. I have a suspicion that the seller may have taken the auction down, but I don't know why.

If the seller took the item down himself, then you should be able to still see the item in your watch list or didn't win list through My eBay. You can also search for the auction by the eBay item number itself. If the seller took the item down themselves, then you should get an email stating that your bid was cancelled (unless you went into the settings and changed the default settings on how/when eBay contacts you via email).

I've had it happen to me before where the item is not in those lists at all. I've even had the ebay item number, and tried to search for the auction using it, with still no results. When that happens, that means that eBay took the listing down themselves, for a seller breaking a listing rule/guideline, or if eBay feels that the seller is scamming their buyers. I've contacted eBay customer service about this in the past, and they don't divulge any information about why they took the item down.

Doug Watson

Quote from: 0thebigwytec5 on December 04, 2014, 05:26:41 PM
I've had it happen to me before where the item is not in those lists at all. I've even had the ebay item number, and tried to search for the auction using it, with still no results. When that happens, that means that eBay took the listing down themselves, for a seller breaking a listing rule/guideline, or if eBay feels that the seller is scamming their buyers. I've contacted eBay customer service about this in the past, and they don't divulge any information about why they took the item down.

Yes, that's what I meant when I said check the seller's ID, chances are if eBay had to pull the listing they probably pulled the seller's registration as well.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Doug Watson on December 04, 2014, 05:17:30 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 04, 2014, 05:07:21 PM

I have been at it since 2000 and I do think it doesn't hurt to ask. If they investigate and find out an outside deal was struck they might dump the guy. A few years back I saw a seller in Asia seller bootleg DVDs of a movie that was still in the theatres and I reported it to eBay and the next day they had pulled his registration and his listings.

You can try for sure, it's just a mater of being worth the time and bother. Oh yeah those crop up every now and then, used to more than now. I bought many a VCD from there years ago..lol  These Asian sellers aren't deterred much anymore, they just create a whole account and start over. Volume over quality seems to work for them. 

tyrantqueen

I have the seller's ID but I cannot obtain the item number. There is literally no trace of the listing on my account anywhere.

If anyone is curious, the item was a Safari Primal Tyrannosaurus rex. The seller is still registered with eBay.

Alexxitator

To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 04, 2014, 07:45:47 PM
I have the seller's ID but I cannot obtain the item number. There is literally no trace of the listing on my account anywhere.

If anyone is curious, the item was a Safari Primal Tyrannosaurus rex. The seller is still registered with eBay.
Go into the sellers list of items for sale and do a specicialized search for completed items...it will have to appear there and also have a reason why on it, that the sale was ended. IF you do not locate it in his completed sales, it means ebay ended the sale due to a policy infraction or issue of their rules.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 06, 2014, 07:34:39 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 04, 2014, 07:45:47 PM

Go into the sellers list of items for sale and do a specicialized search for completed items...it will have to appear there and also have a reason why on it, that the sale was ended. IF you do not locate it in his completed sales, it means ebay ended the sale due to a policy infraction or issue of their rules.
Thanks, seems as though that was the case after all. Oh well, the search goes on...

DinoToyForum

Gwangi

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 06, 2014, 01:31:12 PM
Have an ebay item for sale :P

JP Dakin Gallimimus

You can expect a review up soon of that thing, just not that particular one.

Roselaar

Quote from: leidy on December 07, 2014, 02:39:12 AM
Are these any good?  I wasn't aware of the series, and it's not a particularly clear picture.

Wasn't aware of this series either, but when I had a look at the other figures this seller has on offer, I noticed half the line consists of JP III Hasbro knock-offs. So no, this line is not any good...

leidy

Is the Caudipteryx a knock-off of anything?  The line appears to be endorsed by Discovery channel... although perhaps that is also unauthorized.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: