News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Beautiful Dinosaur mix

Started by postsaurischian, March 23, 2012, 02:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

The daeodon has gone from being a "nobody" in the toy market, to a very popular figure in the dinosaur and prehistoric animal companies.  :)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 25, 2018, 03:19:44 PM
The daeodon has gone from being a "nobody" in the toy market, to a very popular figure in the dinosaur and prehistoric animal companies.  :)

Prehistoric enthusiasts know it well, as the killer pig!

Reptilia

The Sean Cooper model is the best interpretation, in my opinion. It is the one that has better resemblance to a modern warthog. And displays a nicely dynamic pose.

Patrx

Nice photos! The new Safari is my favorite of the bunch; now that we know entelodonts were not pigs, the pig-like ones function as historical curiosities, but not as reconstructions :)

sauroid

the Sean Cooper Dinohyus is magnificent. are you going to have it painted?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 24, 2018, 10:56:49 PM
[...]
Quote from: Lanthanotus on January 24, 2018, 07:14:46 PM
Nice Kaiyodos and the base of that anime figure looks really nice :)

The base is from Matt Manit's Iguanodon. The Kaiyodo figures are just being guests.
[...]

Really nice Iguanodon on a perfect base..... out of my reach, but it gives me ideas once the CollectA Iguanodon is on sale :)

Reptilia

Quote from: Patrx on January 25, 2018, 08:20:09 PM
now that we know entelodonts were not pigs

Aren't they at least distantly related? If not what is the current understanding of entelodonts?

Patrx

They're stem-whippomorphs, along with Andrewsarchus. Extant whippomorphs would be hippos and whales - not very distant from pigs and ruminants.
To clarify, I'm not saying it's time to toss all your older entelodont figures in a bin or anything, they're still nice to have. I'm just glad that the new Safari looks so different from the others.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Reptilia on January 25, 2018, 08:13:17 PM
The Sean Cooper model is the best interpretation, in my opinion. .......

I'd say it's the greatest piece of art of the bunch.

Quote from: sauroid on January 25, 2018, 08:25:20 PM
the Sean Cooper Dinohyus is magnificent. are you going to have it painted?

I have ten Paleocraft models. Until now only the Dunkleosteus got painted.
I like the unpainted look of the other nine (mammals), just as the sculpts they are, but maybe one day I'll send 'em all to Martin :).

Quote from: Lanthanotus on January 25, 2018, 08:31:39 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on January 24, 2018, 10:56:49 PM
.......  Matt Manit's Iguanodon .......

Really nice Iguanodon on a perfect base..... out of my reach, but it gives me ideas once the CollectA Iguanodon is on sale :)

They will make a great pair. I'm really looking forward to their meeting :). CollectA's big bullet this year!

Quote from: Reptilia on January 25, 2018, 08:33:49 PM
Quote from: Patrx on January 25, 2018, 08:20:09 PM
now that we know entelodonts were not pigs

Aren't they at least distantly related? If not what is the current understanding of entelodonts?

Knowing Patrx' paleontological background from different posts I've read I'm pretty sure that I can say he's right.
In my last pic you can see that Doug Watson's latest depiction of the Daeodon and a modern pig do not have much left in common besides the feet, while the other three sculpts are pretty "piggy".
I couldn't resist including the Papo Wild boar because it's slightly re-painted by Noora and I wanted to show it in my collection.
And I must admit that I still like the "Killer Pig" connotation :-[ (I think I'm getting old).

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Patrx on January 25, 2018, 08:45:54 PM
They're stem-whippomorphs, along with Andrewsarchus. Extant whippomorphs would be hippos and whales - not very distant from pigs and ruminants.
To clarify, I'm not saying it's time to toss all your older entelodont figures in a bin or anything, they're still nice to have. I'm just glad that the new Safari looks so different from the others.

To be honest, I didn't know that. I don't pay much attention to prehistoric mammals. To its credit, the new Safari looks a lot less porcine.

postsaurischian

:)

~ •    My Battat Collection    • ~
                                                                                      (it's still growing)

I was lucky with the short TERRA line. Except for the Dilophosaurus (which I still have to get) every figure I was missing got re-released.

Amargasaurus, Carnotaurus, Ceratosaurus, Cryolophosaurus, Dacentrurus, Diplodocus, Edmontonia
                  Euoplocephalus, Gallimimus, Maiasaura, Nanshiungosaurus, Ouranosaurus, Pachycephalosaurus
          Pachyrhinosaurus, Parasaurolophus, Stegosaurus, Styracosaurus, Triceratops, Tyrannosaurus, Utahraptor

~   originally sculpted by Gregory Wenzel & Dan LoRusso   ~

Thanks again! to amargasaurus cazaui (TERRA repaints), Invicta Hunter (Utahraptor), Simon (new TERRA figures),
           tyrantqueen (Diplodocus, Tyrannosaurus), therizinosaurus (Parasaurolophus, Maiasaura), thelordsgym (Triceratops),
  Monstrosities Inc. (Styracosaurus, Ouranosaurus, Pachycephalosaurus) and some unknown eBay sellers for the other three :) .

Halichoeres

A very impressive tableau all together. I like the color coding for sculpt credit, very efficient. :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

I congratulate you postsaurischian for your figures Battat. What impressed me most and filled me with admiration are your words of thanks to the members of the forum and to those people who sold you these figures on eBay.

As a saying goes, "being grateful is being well born."  :)

ceratopsian

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 05, 2018, 04:10:11 PM

~ •    My Battat Collection    • ~

A lovely group of models, beautifully arranged and photographed.  I too like the way you indicated the sculptor - a very good quick reference tool.

Jose S.M.

Great Battat collection, I hope you can get the Dilo soon.

postsaurischian

:D  Thank you for the very nice comments!
       One of the reasons I like doing such a photo is that all figures are more or less in scale to each other.
       I wish more series would do it this way.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here's another group shot of a similar series (if you ask me). Once again a post of non extinct animals,
                     but I'm doing this from time to time and at least there are two non extant species within the group.

It's that new line from Australia called Southlands Replicas.
            All figures are in 1:15 except for the tiny species (Quoll, Brushtail Possum, Platypus & Echidna) which are in 1:12.
                  I am not a completist at all, but I will follow this line and get each and every new species they'll release.
                                                   They're wonderful little figures and IN SCALE to each other!!!

Dingo    Eastern Grey Kangaroo    Echidna    Lumholtz's Tree Kangaroo
                                    Mountain Brushtail Possum    Northern Koala    Platypus    Red Kangaroo
                                                         Southern Hairy-Nosed Wombat    Spotted Tail Quoll
                                                        Tasmanian Devil    Thylacine    Thylacoleo carnifex
                                                                            All originally sculpted by Jason Smit

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The mammals of Australia are so exceptional, especially the marsupials and monotremes.
          I'm loving everything about Australia's fauna and this one especially - it might be a descendant of Anatosaurus ;D :

~ •    A small selection of Platypus    • ~
                                            CollectA  -  unknown Australian brand  -  Safari  -  Southlands Replicas  -  Papo

~ •    A small selection of Thylacine    • ~
                                                     Takara Tomy ARTS  -  CollectA female  -  Southlands Replicas male

Reptilia

Never seen the full Southlands Replicas line all in one, they've put out a pretty nice selection of species and some of them are truly wonderful sculpts, dingo and grey kangaroo in particular. Thanks for the overview!

Lanthanotus

For those looking for the Southlands,.. here's a link: click!

Reptilia

Very tempted to grab a few of them...

postsaurischian

^-^  PNSO 1:35 Triceratops "Doyle" (originally sculpted by ZHAO Chuang)

next to Kaiyodo 1:35 Protoceratops and Kaiyodo 1:35 Homo "Farmer" sapiens

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: