News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Sideshow DINOSAURIA (with poll)

Started by postsaurischian, March 24, 2012, 11:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which are your 3 favourite Sideshow 'Dinosauria' models?

1. Allosaurus vs. Camarasaurus diorama
4 (22.2%)
2. Apatosaurus maquette
6 (33.3%)
3. Brachiosaurus ornament
0 (0%)
4. Carnotaurus maquette
2 (11.1%)
5. Ceratosaurus
1 (5.6%)
6. Deinosuchus vs. Parasaurolophus diorama
3 (16.7%)
7. Dilophosaurus maquette
0 (0%)
8. Euoplocephalus in Egg maquette
0 (0%)
9. Gastonia
3 (16.7%)
10. Mosasaur statue
3 (16.7%)
11. Protoceratops vs. Velociraptor diorama
0 (0%)
12. Spinosaurus maquette
2 (11.1%)
13. Stegosaurus maquette
6 (33.3%)
14. Styracosaurus maquette
1 (5.6%)
15. Triceratops statue
2 (11.1%)
16. Tupuxuara maquette
2 (11.1%)
17. Tyrannosaurus rex maquette
5 (27.8%)
18. Tyrannosaurus rex vs. Triceratops diorama
1 (5.6%)
19. T-rex: 'The Tyrant King' statue
3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Dan

These statues are extremely sturdy, with deep peg insertion into a heavy base. Some can require effort just to lift and move, much less knock over. In fact, I don't believe I've ever heard even a single report of one being accidentally knocked over. Ideally, you would keep it in a glass curio cabinet or something if you have children or pets running around.

The weight can vary, but it's usually listed in the product description (on my site, for example). The Tyrannosaurus in its box weighs about 22 pounds, but is considerably less once unpacked, particularly since you're moving the base separately from the animal. Same with the size - you can check the descriptions for dimensions, but most are fairly big compared to vinyl figures. They are produced in limited quantities, so there might only be one or two available at any given time. Hope that helps.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Dan pretty much said it all. I think they are totally worth the price point..so far.  So long as they don't go up another couple hundred.. lol

joossa

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 09, 2015, 04:03:17 AM
Nice pics!  I think natural sunlight always makes a piece look best!
I agree. Very nice!

I still cry myself to sleep at night over the Carnotaurus and how the paint app turned out. I really wanted one. :(
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: Dan on May 09, 2015, 05:01:45 AM
These statues are extremely sturdy, with deep peg insertion into a heavy base. Some can require effort just to lift and move, much less knock over. In fact, I don't believe I've ever heard even a single report of one being accidentally knocked over. Ideally, you would keep it in a glass curio cabinet or something if you have children or pets running around.

The weight can vary, but it's usually listed in the product description (on my site, for example). The Tyrannosaurus in its box weighs about 22 pounds, but is considerably less once unpacked, particularly since you're moving the base separately from the animal. Same with the size - you can check the descriptions for dimensions, but most are fairly big compared to vinyl figures. They are produced in limited quantities, so there might only be one or two available at any given time. Hope that helps.

Oh okay awesome! Thank you very much Dan! ^_^ Thats a lot of help and it helps me feel better in wanting them. I don't have the space right now, but I also don't have any animals but my husband sheds hair like a cat (not joking he has long hair).
How big would they be to a five foot nothin' 95 pound guy?
Should I get my husband to help me with these monsters when setting them up?
Are they hard to set up?
Oh and can some stand without their bases? (just wondering).

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 09, 2015, 05:09:18 AM
Dan pretty much said it all. I think they are totally worth the price point..so far.  So long as they don't go up another couple hundred.. lol
Oh I know, if only I had the funds to do so. I want the Apatosaurus, so I can put my young Apatosaurus near it. I also really want to get the Mosasaurus because I want to set him up in a curio or something in the bathroom, which I want to be underwater themed.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: joossa on May 09, 2015, 06:35:39 AM
I agree. Very nice!

I still cry myself to sleep at night over the Carnotaurus and how the paint app turned out. I really wanted one. :(

You could always purchase it and have it repainted.  Martin I think is working on a couple of his now.

Quote from: TJ_Terrorsaur on May 09, 2015, 06:48:54 AM

Oh okay awesome! Thank you very much Dan! ^_^ Thats a lot of help and it helps me feel better in wanting them. I don't have the space right now, but I also don't have any animals but my husband sheds hair like a cat (not joking he has long hair).
Are they hard to set up?

Oh I know, if only I had the funds to do so. I want the Apatosaurus, so I can put my young Apatosaurus near it. I also really want to get the Mosasaurus because I want to set him up in a curio or something in the bathroom, which I want to be underwater themed.

2 people will make unboxing them and setting up a lot easier I will say. They will not stand sans bases as the feet have metal rods inserted to help " lock" them onto the base.

I'd pick the cheaper one and give it a try. They hold their value pretty well so if you bought one and didn't like it for whatever reason you could resell it for about the same cost at the least.

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 09, 2015, 07:26:06 AM
I agree. Very nice!

You could always purchase it and have it repainted.  Martin I think is working on a couple of his now.

Quote from: TJ_Terrorsaur on May 09, 2015, 06:48:54 AM

Are they hard to set up?

2 people will make unboxing them and setting up a lot easier I will say. They will not stand sans bases as the feet have metal rods inserted to help " lock" them onto the base.

I'd pick the cheaper one and give it a try. They hold their value pretty well so if you bought one and didn't like it for whatever reason you could resell it for about the same cost at the least.

Okay well my husband and I could do that. :) Okay well that's fine. ^_^ I'm just happy knowing they won't fall over.

True, very true. Thanks again Blade & Dan you've both been a tremendous amount of help and now I think I will set my sights on one day buying a Sideshow.  ;D

Paleogene Pals

The boxes they ship in are huge (up to and over 3 feet); just wrestling the package box from the shipping box requires effort. Getting the Styrofoam padding out is another effort. So yes, just getting these beasts unpacked takes quite a bit of effort and time. However, after they are unpacked, I find getting them onto their bases is fairly easy. As every has said, these are not small sculptures. My Apatosaurus is longer than my coffee table. I also have the Spinosaurus which is almost as long. Due to their size, I'm still trying to figure out where to display them in my house. But, I'm still glad I got them!

Blade-of-the-Moon

No problem. :)

If you have the entire collection at this point your pretty much looking to dedicate a room of your house to them.. lol

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on May 09, 2015, 03:05:47 PM
The boxes they ship in are huge (up to and over 3 feet); just wrestling the package box from the shipping box requires effort. Getting the Styrofoam padding out is another effort. So yes, just getting these beasts unpacked takes quite a bit of effort and time. However, after they are unpacked, I find getting them onto their bases is fairly easy. As every has said, these are not small sculptures. My Apatosaurus is longer than my coffee table. I also have the Spinosaurus which is almost as long. Due to their size, I'm still trying to figure out where to display them in my house. But, I'm still glad I got them!

-Facepalm- Why didn't I think of doing that? I could always buy one and leave it in the box until I have room. I've done it with my HotToys Predator models.
How long your coffee table? O_O The Apatosaurus sounds huge! I really like the older paint on the Spinosaurus, but I'm sure I could find him on eBay. ^_^

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 09, 2015, 04:38:49 PM
No problem. :)

If you have the entire collection at this point your pretty much looking to dedicate a room of your house to them.. lol

Lol, that could be doable. Put the mosasaur in the bathroom, the Triceratops in the living room, the Apatosaurus in the center piece for the dining room table. I could just see it now. If I could do a set up like that it would be awesome. :3
Anyhow if I get the chance to get one I will be sure to take some pictures. :D

Paleogene Pals

TJ, you can leave them in their boxes for storage. I didn't do that because I want to see them and just gaze at their awesomeness.  ::) My coffee table is a little over 3 feet in length. The Apato is a little over 40 inches, but the tail is not straight. The head also bends sideways. So, the total length is around 46 inches I think. She is a healthy Apato. That's for sure! I might display my Spino near my bathtub so it would feel more at home.  :)

joossa

I agree. Very nice!

Problem is, I don't know how to paint/airbrush. I would have to commission it and it would likely come at a pretty penny. Do you have a ballpark estimate on how much such a commission would cost so I can get a general idea?
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on May 09, 2015, 10:46:52 PM
TJ, you can leave them in their boxes for storage. I didn't do that because I want to see them and just gaze at their awesomeness.  ::) My coffee table is a little over 3 feet in length. The Apato is a little over 40 inches, but the tail is not straight. The head also bends sideways. So, the total length is around 46 inches I think. She is a healthy Apato. That's for sure! I might display my Spino near my bathtub so it would feel more at home.  :)

I'm doing that with my HotToys Predator figures because I have no room to set them up right now. If I had one of the Sideshow Dino's I'd have to leave it in it's box or put my entire dinosaur collection away to make room for one of those huge guys. That apatosaurus would be longer than the shelf my dinosaurs live on. (Which would be epic looking to begin with. :D I kind of wanna see that.)
She sounds awesome, can I ask for some pictures of her? I've already been looking at prices for the Sideshow dinosaurs and they actually seem affordable if I save up. :D So Yay!
That sounds like a good idea. Hmm. If I did that too, where could I put the mosasaurus? Hmmm.
If I do buy one I will probably set my sites on the mosasaurus first. :D

Paleogene Pals

TJ, I'll post some pictures of the Apato, and her sauropod friends soon. I do highly recommend the Apato. It is fantastic!

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on May 10, 2015, 05:09:10 AM
TJ, I'll post some pictures of the Apato, and her sauropod friends soon. I do highly recommend the Apato. It is fantastic!

Thank you, I look foward to seeing them. :) I've seen images of her on Sideshow's Website and I have to say she's definitely on my list, maybe first or 2nd on that list. I think I really fell for her because of those stripes, the stripes on the tail and face remind me of the Apatosaurus' from Walking With Dinosaurs. :)
If I did get her her head and tail would be poking out the sides of my shelf. Now that would be really funny looking. Lol!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: joossa on May 10, 2015, 04:41:15 AM
I agree. Very nice!

Problem is, I don't know how to paint/airbrush. I would have to commission it and it would likely come at a pretty penny. Do you have a ballpark estimate on how much such a commission would cost so I can get a general idea?

I'd ballpark around 50-100.00 from Martin? Just my guess. If you email him he could give you an exact quote.

rfdelgado

I received my rex a few weeks ago and just opened it, and it's a beauty.

Painted a little darker, I don't mind and think it makes mine more unique.

I'd rate this one at the top, above the stego, the mosasaur, the spino and all the others.

What a fantastic line, really enjoy them.

The pics above do not do the pieces' mass justice, it's a big honkin' dino.

Paleogene Pals

Here is my Sideshow Apato. You can see how long it is compared to my coffee table.

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on May 10, 2015, 09:39:22 PM
Here is my Sideshow Apato. You can see how long it is compared to my coffee table.

Thanks for posting. ^_^ She's incredible!

Dyscrasia

Sorry for uploading the pics so late (and also for the crappy image quality) as I had some camera issues which took some time to resolve  :-[

I was actually planning to take pics with first the vs. diorama T. rex and the Krentz T. rex, but since they are in a different house, I might have to do that sometime later.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Nice pics bud!

I had to look at mine again after seeing the subtle black bands it has...sorta reminds me of the JP Rex.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: