News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 23, 2012, 08:01:09 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 23, 2012, 06:16:53 PM
I think the arms are a little too muscular and the detail seems to disappear after the hips back but other than that it's a great looking kit. Glad you finally received it ! :)
Yeah, it does have some flaws but I guess it's better than the Safari Sucho :P The casting is also pretty poor, I had to do a lot of trimming with my hobby knife to get the parts to mate. Perhaps this one was rushed?

That's the last time I buy from this guy though. I am saving my pennies now for the Paleocraft Rex, now that's a resin that is worth the time and money :)

Honestly I think the WS Sucho ( Darn it ! I swore never to acknowledge it's existence again ! ) is just a step up from a wad of gum. Really any kid in a middle school art class could have made that. blech.

His early work seemed pretty flawless..but he could def be rushed right now.

The Paleocraft Rex is pretty sweet..I would have liked for it to be 1/20 at least..but 1/30 is far from bad. :)

Roselaar

Picked up a Chap Mei Dino Valley (3?) Velociraptor, the one with the light up feathers on its head, for my 2-year old niece. She was obviously intimidated by it. I also bought the Chap Mei Dino Valley (3?) T-Rex for myself, since even at this age I can't stand someone getting a dinosaur and me not getting any. ::)

And I bought a shitload of LotR Lego. Because it suddenly exists.

radman

Some shapeways stuff:

Opthalmosaurus

The king

Lastly, for the first time anywhere in model form, perhaps, Isisaurus

Himmapaan

Quote from: radman on August 25, 2012, 07:35:47 PM

Oh, my gosh!  :o

SBell

Quote from: Himmapaan on August 26, 2012, 01:08:25 AM
Quote from: radman on August 25, 2012, 07:35:47 PM

Oh, my gosh!  :o

There is a Dinosaur King one.  Which size Isis is this? I noticed that there are at least two different sizes on Shapeways.

Seijun

That neck is amazing. One more thing to add to my wishlist (the dinosaur, not a fat neck)

Soon I will have a complete set of shreddies/wagner figures in my clutches (yay!) Also, today I went to the goodwill and found a boxed tric skeleton from Wild Republic. The head is probably too small, and the tail is dragging, but they remembered to angle the hands correctly! The other skeletons in this series are laughable (the stego in particular): http://gettoys.com/dinosaur-toys-dinosauria-skeletons-c-147_315.html

My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Himmapaan

Quote from: SBell on August 26, 2012, 03:46:50 AM
Which size Isis is this? I noticed that there are at least two different sizes on Shapeways.
And whom is it by? I haven't been looking on Shapeways in yonks.

radman

Quote from: Himmapaan on August 26, 2012, 06:18:02 AM
Quote from: SBell on August 26, 2012, 03:46:50 AM
Which size Isis is this? I noticed that there are at least two different sizes on Shapeways.
And whom is it by? I haven't been looking on Shapeways in yonks.

This is the 1:100 version; it's about the same size as the Krentz 1:144 Alamosaurus.  The artist is Rarebreed, he also has Spinosaurus and Tupuxuara models.

radman

Scaphonyx.  A face only a mother could love...
;D

amargasaurus cazaui

I would consider the first a Re-acquistion, as it was necessary to replace one I had customized. This little fellow is getting a bit harder to find as time passes.  I wondered if there is a trick for removing the tag, to keep the attach intact, in case you wish to replace it at a given point?

The second figure while not technically a dinosaur is a set that is offered by Wild Republic, that comes with paints and a brush, and comes in its base white color.  "Slimy" is sunning himself on a colorful slab of dinosaur bone, from a previous project.

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Seijun

I clip all tags off with fingernail clippers (clip the plastic ring). Then I restring the tag with a gold elastic cord from Michaels. When I get home I will post the brand name and cord dimensions, but it is 100% identical to the gold elastic cord that battat, bullyland, and carnegie used on their older figures. Invicta also used this same cord on their painted figures. I use it to make the tags removable and also keep an authentic look. If gold is not your thing, the cord also comes in silver and a few other colors.

Additionally, these companies seemed to have a universal way of tying the cord. If you have an example of one somewhere, you can also tie the cord in the same way to really keep it looking authentic :)

EDIT: The cord I use is by "Bead Landing". The package says "Stringing, 0.03 in Elastic Cord". It is not listed on Michaels website, but my local Michaels always has some.  Several other companies also make metallic gold elastic cord, but I don't know if it looks the same up close or comes in this same diameter.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Primeval12

Schleich raptor and giganotosaurus plush safari triceratops and brachiosaurus in egg

[attachment msg=17006][/attachment]

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Seijun on August 27, 2012, 09:29:15 PM
I clip all tags off with fingernail clippers (clip the plastic ring). Then I restring the tag with a gold elastic cord from Michaels. When I get home I will post the brand name and cord dimensions, but it is 100% identical to the gold elastic cord that battat, bullyland, and carnegie used on their older figures. Invicta also used this same cord on their painted figures. I use it to make the tags removable and also keep an authentic look. If gold is not your thing, the cord also comes in silver and a few other colors.

Additionally, these companies seemed to have a universal way of tying the cord. If you have an example of one somewhere, you can also tie the cord in the same way to really keep it looking authentic :)

EDIT: The cord I use is by "Bead Landing". The package says "Stringing, 0.03 in Elastic Cord". It is not listed on Michaels website, but my local Michaels always has some.  Several other companies also make metallic gold elastic cord, but I don't know if it looks the same up close or comes in this same diameter.
So you also do this with your Carnegie figures as well from what you are stating?To me it sounds like a nicer presentation than the cheap plastic tie thing they use for their figures and would seem more classy in overall looks. I will look into the cord myself when I can, at our closest hobby lobby.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Patrx

Tyrannosaurus by Takashi Oda from 2012 Tokyo Dinosaur Kingdom Expo. I really, really like this thing, folks. Sadly, the tail is a little under-muscled, but I really must forgive it on account of its wondrous plumage. Might work up a review, once I get my camera back from the shop; had to use a rental for this shot.

Seijun

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 28, 2012, 04:57:03 AM
Quote from: Seijun on August 27, 2012, 09:29:15 PM

So you also do this with your Carnegie figures as well from what you are stating?To me it sounds like a nicer presentation than the cheap plastic tie thing they use for their figures and would seem more classy in overall looks. I will look into the cord myself when I can, at our closest hobby lobby.

Yes, I use it for all my carnegies, safaris, and everything else with a tag I want to keep.

Brontozaurus

Got CollectA's Kosmoceratops to go with their Utahceratops. I like the Utahceratops more, but the Kosmoceratops is pretty neat. What's especially cool is that the two are roughly in scale with each other!
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Sumo

Quote from: Pixelboy on August 28, 2012, 07:05:16 AM

Tyrannosaurus by Takashi Oda from 2012 Tokyo Dinosaur Kingdom Expo. I really, really like this thing, folks. Sadly, the tail is a little under-muscled, but I really must forgive it on account of its wondrous plumage. Might work up a review, once I get my camera back from the shop; had to use a rental for this shot.
*thud* Holy crap, that is stunning. Congratulations! :D
"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

radman

Quote from: Sumo on August 28, 2012, 04:32:02 PM

A very nice model, and I agree with your assessment.  Did you get it from Clawmark?  Also, more pix please. ;D
Whenever you get the chance.

Patrx

Quote from: radman on August 28, 2012, 08:02:21 PM
Quote from: Sumo on August 28, 2012, 04:32:02 PM

A very nice model, and I agree with your assessment.  Did you get it from Clawmark?  Also, more pix please. ;D
Whenever you get the chance.
Thanks, and I did indeed get it from Clawmark. :) It's a limited run of 500, but it seems they've still got some in stock. I did get a few more photos while I had the rented camera. I'll go ahead and post them when I have time, but I'm afraid they didn't turn out as well as I'd like. I miss my own camera, hah.

postsaurischian

I will never pay that Clawmark price ....... means, I will probably never own this model :(.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: