News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Kaiyodo Copepteryx! An extinct Pelecaniform, not a penguin.

SBell

Quote from: Lady medusa on March 31, 2012, 12:30:24 AM
I have 5 new Critters to join my collection! The papo parasaurolophus, kaiyodo velociraptor, kaiyodo special painted deinonychus, a jurassic kaiyodo turtle(cant remember the species name at the moment), and a 1/15(/16) scale crylophosaurus. I have no idea who sculpted it but the style of the animal reminds me of william stouts. I have a lot, ALOT of cleaning and fixing to do on it but it has great potential! Photos will be up as soon as i figure out how to do it lol

Well, among the turtles you have the choice of Archelon (Cretaceous), Meiolania (spiky-headed) or Sinemys gamera (spiky back of carapace).

Those are the only Kaiyodo prehistoric turtles.

Tylosaurus

The extinct Pelecaniform looks neatly painted, although it does resemble a penguin from some prehistoric age, unless it's a prehistoric pelican with the looks of a penguin?

SBell

Quote from: Tylosaurus on April 01, 2012, 03:51:45 AM
The extinct Pelecaniform looks neatly painted, although it does resemble a penguin from some prehistoric age, unless it's a prehistoric pelican with the looks of a penguin?

It's probably based more on an auk or puffin, which would be from around the same part of the world with a similar lifestyle.

EmperorDinobot

My Haul today at the Emerald City Comic Con.

36 dinosaurs for $30.

I never expected to see THIS at a Comics convention, or even at a Transformers and Marvel figures basket!

What are these JP like things? I had never seen them before. They're articulated and have dino damage. They are made by Tomy.

Made by Bandai, this ugly POS was made in '06 and IDK what its from.

Salvat/DeAgostini? They're smaller than the dinos I have, and I never saw a mold for Parasaurolophus or Dimetrodon!

I dig this lil ankylosaur. What is it from?

Anyone want the Doedicurus and the Titanis?

Actually, if anyone can tell me exactly what I just bought in a list, I would appreciate it. I think I might have just made a HUGE discovery. I've never been all that well versed on Import toys, but I wanna know just what I am looking at here.

Gwangi

Quote from: SBell on April 01, 2012, 04:56:35 AM

It's probably based more on an auk or puffin, which would be from around the same part of the world with a similar lifestyle.

According to wikipedia the Copepteryx belongs to the Plotopteridae family, related to boobies and gannets. They were flightless and their similarity to penguins is due to convergent evolution. I had never heard of it before until I bought the figure which at least proves this hobby can be educational. :)

Sumo

Quote from: Gwangi on April 01, 2012, 02:57:32 PM

According to wikipedia the Copepteryx belongs to the Plotopteridae family, related to boobies and gannets. They were flightless and their similarity to penguins is due to convergent evolution. I had never heard of it before until I bought the figure which at least proves this hobby can be educational. :)
Love this one! It reminds me of the extant flightless cormorant, except the copie has evolved penguin-style wing-propelled swimming.
"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

stemturtle

Quote from: SBell on April 01, 2012, 03:00:21 AM
I have 5 new Critters to join my collection! The papo parasaurolophus, kaiyodo velociraptor, kaiyodo special painted deinonychus, a jurassic kaiyodo turtle(cant remember the species name at the moment), and a 1/15(/16) scale crylophosaurus. I have no idea who sculpted it but the style of the animal reminds me of william stouts. I have a lot, ALOT of cleaning and fixing to do on it but it has great potential! Photos will be up as soon as i figure out how to do it lol

Well, among the turtles you have the choice of Archelon (Cretaceous), Meiolania (spiky-headed) or Sinemys gamera (spiky back of carapace).

SBell, you continue to amaze us with your knowledge of figures.  I agree with you on naming Sinemys, which is the only Jurassic (- Cretaceous) turtle that I know of.  Guess the time has come to post a thread on prehistoric turtles.  There are so few figures that I have put it off.  I'll get on it soon.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

Tylosaurus

Thanks mate hehe you do indeed as the others say have great knowledge of these figures, many thanks mate! 8)

SBell

Quote from: stemturtle on April 01, 2012, 04:56:25 PM
Quote from: SBell on April 01, 2012, 03:00:21 AM

SBell, you continue to amaze us with your knowledge of figures.  I agree with you on naming Sinemys, which is the only Jurassic (- Cretaceous) turtle that I know of.  Guess the time has come to post a thread on prehistoric turtles.  There are so few figures that I have put it off.  I'll get on it soon.

That should be a short thread! There are pretty much the Dinotales, a few Yowies, maybe a RazH00 shapeways or two, and a couple Dinosaur Train figures that I am aware of.

brontodocus

Oh yes, the Yowies! :) They made a Ninjemys oweni. Hiii-ya! ;D Schleich has also made a figure named "Panzersaurier" as part of their Classics line with bumpy shields on its carapace which make it look a little like an exaggerated, old depiction of Proganochelys, only with a looooooong neck. :) Not really a figure that has to be taken as a serious rendition of an extinct turtle, of course. ??? :)

@EmperorDinobot: Congrats, that's quite a nice haul!  :) The ones in your first photo are of course the Kabaya "Dinosaur Collection" (series 1) "Seismosaurus", Tyrannosaurus, Spinosaurus, and Triceratops, all sculpted by Kazunari Araki, the Seismosaurus was a chase figure and is quite sought after. The Amargasaurus on the black circle with a human skeleton for scale on it is from the Yujin "Dino Museum" line. :)

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

postsaurischian

:D Oh, I want that tiny Yujin Amargasaurus!

stoneage

:)  You got a heck of a good deal EmperorDinobot!

EmperorDinobot

What about those two Tomy JP dinosaurs? And that ugly Bandai T.rex? I knew about the yujin one. I had always wanted one.

Brontozaurus

Some more yowies arrived in the mail today: Minmi, Hotcrossbunodon (Kollikodon), and the Ceratopsian Dinosaur (Serandipaceratops).

So now I have all the yowie dinosaurs. Mega collection post coming soon.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

JurassicJr

I got these over the weekend, a big Styracosaurus and the Mojo T-Rex & Smilodon.

tyrantqueen

That Styracosaurus is weird.  :o

Pilkington

I got a Mojo Tylosaurus the other day.
If you wanna be alone, come with me

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Pilkington on April 02, 2012, 11:00:23 PM
I got a Mojo Tylosaurus the other day.
It's a good figure IMO. I much prefer it over the CollectA.

Tylosaurus

Awww the mojo Tylo this one rght?

Yeah looks neat that one hehe

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: