News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Age of Reptiles

Started by Balaur, August 25, 2013, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

Sounds cool! Also, time for our Balaur comparison :)

Yours has shorter, thinner feathers than mine which has long limp feathers. Mine is a brown color with a featherless neck and a more boxy head. Your Balaur is much smarter and has sort-of greenish coloration and is completely feathered.

My Balaur is the top land predator of Hateg Island as well as an effective scavenger with powerful jaws and knife-like teeth. Yours is an herbivore that feeds mostly on giant fruit and has teeth adapted for frugivory and would have difficulty scavenging.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Balaur

Alright, my comparison. :)

My Balaur is even more robust than yours, is a strict herbivore, and has no intention of meat (that's how strict it is in its diet) and is capable of tool use.

That's my comparison because you basically hit all the points.

In the end, we've both made two very different restorations of Balaur, yours being a strict carnivore, and not so intelligent with Emu like feathers, and mine being a strict herbivore, extremely intelligent with short feathers that cover the entire body (except for the snout which makes a sort of proto-beak)

Yutyrannus

I agree we both have unique depictions of Balaur. I also have a very unique depiction of Dromaeosaurus in my series, a vulture like scavenger :).

Balaur

I have a new picture. Baryonyx. It was very lightly colorued but I learned to adjust the brightness, or at least show the colour more, which gives the background its foggy look.

And the two fruits that Balaur eats.

Megalococus robustus.

Megamalus hategensis. While it looks like any fruit it is about a meter to even two meters in diameter, even larger sometimes. Sometimes, they will drop off their tree, and even kill any walking dinosaurs below it.  ;D

Yutyrannus

Nice :)! Also when I do my Australospinas we can compare it to your Baryonyx since the two species are almost identical.

Balaur

Sounds cool! I seriously can't wait for your Australospinas!

More creature profiles. ;)

Baryonyx - They are a slash between storks and crocodiles, and while some spinosaurs act like crocodiles, Baryonyx is deffintently a stork. He waits in the water, though occasionally he will dive deep. He feeds on the large lungfish and small fish in the river, and have no problem scavenging off of dead dinosaurs. The Baryonyx in the Las Hoyas episode is stork-like, and only dines on fish. He will occasionally get into little confrontations with Goniopholis, this giant crocodile of the river. However, when the river is impacted by a massive algal bloom, the fish died from oxygen depletion, and the Baryonyx is forced to confront the Concavenator.

Eoraptor - Early dinosaurs, they look chubby, but they are certainly still fast. While they will eat small lizards and insects, about 60% of their diet consists of plant matter. Lone males will often co mingle with Pisanosaurus clans.

Yutyrannus

Love the description for Baryonyx :)! Of course, I love anything about spinosaurs ;D!

Balaur

Yes! Spinosaurs are very cool. However, would you consider Pelecanimimus as an ornithomimid spinosaur or a ornithomimid failing to be a spinosaur?  :))

Yutyrannus

Concavenator

Concavenator

This is my comparision of our new spinosaurids  :)
I'll show my Suchomimus for comparision because Baryonyx and Suchomimus are very Close relatives:

Your Baryonyx looks chubbier than my Suchomimus.Mine's also has a bigger sail.
Yours have a nice brown cloration and a interesting blue marking on its eyes,while mine's a completely midnight blue body and with feathers(I know there's no evidence on furry spinosaurids,I just was in the mood of put feathers  :)) )
And what's your comparision?  ::)

:D

Balaur

My Baryonyx's tail is chubbier, like a crocodiles, while yours is thin. The lack of sails is, of course, because Suchomimus had a sail and Baryonyx lacked them. Your's looks very bird like while I went for a crocodile look. Mine as muscular arms to wrestle with fish, and lacks feathers all together.

WHile they are very different species all together, we both came up with unique depictions. To be honest, I am avoid shrink wrapping, hence why some of my dinosuars are chubby.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Balaur on September 15, 2013, 05:58:36 AM
Sounds cool! I seriously can't wait for your Australospinas!

More creature profiles. ;)

Baryonyx - They are a slash between storks and crocodiles, and while some spinosaurs act like crocodiles, Baryonyx is deffintently a stork. He waits in the water, though occasionally he will dive deep. He feeds on the large lungfish and small fish in the river, and have no problem scavenging off of dead dinosaurs. The Baryonyx in the Las Hoyas episode is stork-like, and only dines on fish. He will occasionally get into little confrontations with Goniopholis, this giant crocodile of the river. However, when the river is impacted by a massive algal bloom, the fish died from oxygen depletion, and the Baryonyx is forced to confront the Concavenator.

Eoraptor - Early dinosaurs, they look chubby, but they are certainly still fast. While they will eat small lizards and insects, about 60% of their diet consists of plant matter. Lone males will often co mingle with Pisanosaurus clans.
I might do the Australospinas sometime this week. I will base its colors on the sacred kingfisher.

Balaur

So, I have been thinking a lot, and I have a few annoucnments about what to expect in the series.

1) Marshosaurus will not be feathered.

2) Flying belemnite biology is explored very thoroughly in the third episode, why and how it glides, breeding behaviour.

3) I may be adding a fictional aquatic mammal in the third episode based off of Castorocauda.

4) Okay, now, off from the third episode. Walking with Dinosaurs kind of just skipped over the K-Pg extinction. The last 15 minutes of the last episode is about survival in the K-Pg winter, and I even have a brief glimpse of the impact, but only the quakes and the flash.

5) My series (If I were to film it) is live backdrops, only CGI environents for the asteroid winter apocalypse.

6) I should be posting images of the places I would film in on the first page, and maybe sounds and even storyboards.

7) I have a piano that can make more than piano noises, so I MAY create a soundtrack if I am good enough at doing that and editing it.

8 ) Baryonyx and Concavenator will fight.

9) I go very in depth on certain plants.

Those are my nine factoids about the series, and if I can have sounds, create storyboards, use backdrops, and create soundtracks, I can get as close as possible to the real. If is unlikely, but, whatever. :P

Yutyrannus

Awesome! By the way, technically someday you might be able to see if the BBC will agree to let you air this (which I really hope will happen, because your series is awesome!). Also, it will probably be a while till I post more pictures for my series unfortunately, but when I do post them I might have some pretty cool ones. I am also thinking of getting ZBrush and making the CGI models of the creatures in my series, and if I am good enough can I sculpt the creatures for your series too? Of course that is a lot of "if's"

Balaur

That is a lot of ifs. When making this series, I was in the mindset that it is actually a real series, and was taking into account the budget of animation, CGI, filming, creating models, ect. I also wish that this series would become real, so basically, if the BBC is intrested in this (I would prefer the BBC helped me pn this) I already have the creatures I need, everything set up. All I have to do then is create magic.

But thats way far in the future. I should get my Pteranichs done today or tommorow.

Also, on the modeling question, yes, but it'll go through an approvale process. ;D

Balaur

Here is my (FREAKING SPECULATIVE AS HELL) reconstruction of Pteranichs for the series.

Yutyrannus

Nice! So, Pteranichs is a pterosaur, I thought by the name that it was some sort of bivalve or something. Anyway, it is an awesome picture :). Also, hopefully in about a week or so I'll post my Sauroniops and maybe even my very bizarre frigate bird Concavenator ;).

Balaur

I finished Magyarosaurus, the tritylodont, Siderops, Ischigualastia, Pisanosaurus, and Cryolophosaurus all in one day. And they are all very cool!

I will say (because I don't have access to a scanner right now) that the Magyarosaurus is very colourful, the tritylodont is a tritylodont, the Ischigualastia is covered in hair, Pisanosaurus has a green and brown body, the Siderops colour is based off of the Chinese giant salamander, and the Cryolophosaurus is feathered.

You have a lot to look forward to. I completed a Marshosaurus yesterday. Colours loosely based off of the Nile Monitor.

Yutyrannus

These all sound awesome ;D! Also I love Chinese Giant Salamanders, so I can't to see the Siderops. I think I am most looking forward to Siderops and Marshosaurus! Also I might post my Sauroniops and Melanorosaurus in a week, so I'll sayhere that my Sauroniops has a very cool pattern on him and the Melanorosaurus will be quite brighty colored and has aanole-like dewlap. Anyway, can't wait to see all of these creatures :)!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: