News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

brandem's sculpture {recent art 2019}

Started by brandem, September 08, 2013, 09:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 28, 2014, 07:00:53 AM
Wow Brandon's quick!

Already started a head sculpt:

Nice to see what else he has cooking up.

I decided to commission a line of 1:50 scale Dinosaurs(its a scale that i can afford) along with another line of species that would be way to small to fit in the 1:50 mark.

I wish to make the first model (or models, I might have him do a couple more) a surprise to you all. its a very obscure Dinosaur, that was featured in only One Popular Dinosaur Book.

Manatee

Astrodon? Procompsognathus? Falcarius? Becklespinax?

SBell

Quote from: Manatee on December 28, 2014, 11:33:18 PM

That would be things for the commissions thread--or you contact him via PM where you determine his prices for making those animals.

Manatee

Quote from: SBell on December 29, 2014, 12:00:57 AM

That would be things for the commissions thread--or you contact him via PM where you determine his prices for making those animals.
I was guessing at Takama's animal.

SBell

Quote from: Manatee on December 29, 2014, 12:02:16 AM
Quote from: SBell on December 29, 2014, 12:00:57 AM

I was guessing at Takama's animal.

I see--that post got by me. Never mind. But two of those animals already have been done as figures (Falcarius and Becklespinax) so they wouldn't be firsts.

Takama

Nope. its an Ornithopod

amargasaurus cazaui

I assume the pictured skull was microceratus then, because it would not be possible to be Aquilops if it is in fact finished?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Manatee

Quote from: Takama on December 29, 2014, 12:43:23 AM

Nope. its an Ornithopod
Dryosaurus would be unique, surprisingly, but it's relatively well known. Othnielia? I just can't stop guessing!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 29, 2014, 12:47:23 AM
I assume the pictured skull was microceratus then, because it would not be possible to be Aquilops if it is in fact finished?

I'm not certain if it's complete or not as of yet, so it could be either. The difference I think is mostly only in the beak?  Our aim is to do both so we'll see. :)

brandem

wow I am really digging the response to this, but no that earlier picture was not nearly finished, if it was these sculptures would be a lot easier, but here is how he's coming along.  You'll notice the trademark horn

ring now I want to get one adult compete and then on hatchling/juvenile, then we can start doing the alt parts to get extra poses,

And for those of you who have commissions in with me already don't worry they are not on the back burner they are being worked on in tandem, literally I have four models lined up at all times to switch between as the contemplate the next move on each, 

amargasaurus cazaui

Amazed to see anyone tackling these types of dinosaurs and the sculpt is exceptional in shape and detail. I really like the general look of the head so far. One thing I do wonder about is the very course scaling present....I was somewhat certain it had been established that ceratopsians tended to have either skin or very small scales present in the facial area in particular. I would find that more likely as the smaller the scales the easier movement of the facial features like nose, eyes and mouth would be, as opposed to working against larger more robust scale sizes. When viewing extant reptiles I make note most seemt to have smaller scale detail in the facial area than the body itself. Given this dinosaurs overalll size, and not being sure of the size of the head modeled at least, at first glance it would appear the scale detail is far too large and accented however
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

brandem

I totally agree, when I think of ceratopsian skin I think:

but maybe I should think more like:

since its blades commission i'm going to defer to him on what to do but here Is a few options: its still soft I could clear it and do smooth skin with some larger accentuated scales on the back, I could flatten it so we have less defined bulbous scales but the would be about the same size, I could bake it and put original sculpt to fill in so it looks like bumpy skin, or I could try different texturing techniques to try to get the appearance of finer scales, what do you think blade?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Man you know you've got something when your rough sculpt looks good enough to be thought of as the finished piece.. ;)

The scales..I know it was being discussed in another thread, some art appears to have larger scales like this :

I suppose they might have had larger facial scales if they were constantly digging and rooting around on the ground for better protection?

Iguanas have some pretty large scales on the face:

Others more uniform smaller scales :

Blade-of-the-Moon

Looking it over, maybe finer scales with some larger ones to accentuate key areas?

As for ways to do finer scales..I've used a lot of different things myself, coffee stirrers, straws, you can heat the ends a bit and make them irregular or feel try to something else bud.

brandem

sounds good, let me get to work on it. May even be easier, I have a few options for doing smaller scales.
Admittedly the first pass looked sorta draconic which I maintain is cool but maybe not what we needed.

amargasaurus cazaui

Brandem in your first example picture that is a four foot wide section of triceratops skin from the hips area with four inch scales in some spots. I definitely have the idea the facial areas would demonstrate either skin or smaller scales than the body itself. My own take in looking at the art work presented would be to fill in around the scales enough to blend them down some , and make them appear less defined and larger...similar to the art given for the Aquilops.
   We do not have much for skeletal material for Aquilops, so it is hard to infer behavior, or any specialized adaptations for digging or rooting , or if the hands might have been utilized instead for such. The small horn at the rostral may well have been a specialized digging tool, or defensive weapon or perhaps just for sexual dimorphism. Just not alot of information we can get from the few fragments of the dinosaur we do have . I am inferring much based on other similar smaller ceratopsians along these same lines. I do remember a discussion in one of Shanes threads or about one of his ceratopsians about wether the larger ceratopsians would have skin or scales over the skull and I came away with the idea the skin concept won.

brandem

Thanks for the info, the original scales are already striped and we are back to the basic head shape but it'll only be a day or two before we see something new.

amargasaurus cazaui

Very excited to see you attempting this type of dinosaur Brandem, perhaps when its further along or you feel ready I wouldnt mind getting a good look at the frill end of the head and how it is finished. These little guys amaze me with how they so closely resembled their much larger future descendants in so many ways   Just a super original idea to even attempt such new and less popular ceratopsians.....

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: brandem on December 29, 2014, 03:53:34 AM
sounds good, let me get to work on it. May even be easier, I have a few options for doing smaller scales.
Admittedly the first pass looked sorta draconic which I maintain is cool but maybe not what we needed.

Ah yes, draconic, superb word. I do love dragons but yeah maybe not for this particular piece. :)

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 29, 2014, 03:59:30 AM
Brandem in your first example picture that is a four foot wide section of triceratops skin from the hips area with four inch scales in some spots. I definitely have the idea the facial areas would demonstrate either skin or smaller scales than the body itself. My own take in looking at the art work presented would be to fill in around the scales enough to blend them down some , and make them appear less defined and larger...similar to the art given for the Aquilops.
   We do not have much for skeletal material for Aquilops, so it is hard to infer behavior, or any specialized adaptations for digging or rooting , or if the hands might have been utilized instead for such. The small horn at the rostral may well have been a specialized digging tool, or defensive weapon or perhaps just for sexual dimorphism. Just not alot of information we can get from the few fragments of the dinosaur we do have . I am inferring much based on other similar smaller ceratopsians along these same lines. I do remember a discussion in one of Shanes threads or about one of his ceratopsians about wether the larger ceratopsians would have skin or scales over the skull and I came away with the idea the skin concept won.

Just a concept, it's small and lived close to the ground..unless it turned out to be a climber. I know we have some other small species that have been found in burrows if I recall correctly. If your small it makes sense to either go up high, or go down low..lol

You can kinda see what I did in my newer ceratopsians like the Protoceratops here :
the material we use to skin has a tiny scale pattern in it, so I just attach larger ones or other boney growths over it with Apoxie Sculpt.

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 29, 2014, 04:10:43 AM
Very excited to see you attempting this type of dinosaur Brandem, perhaps when its further along or you feel ready I wouldnt mind getting a good look at the frill end of the head and how it is finished. These little guys amaze me with how they so closely resembled their much larger future descendants in so many ways   Just a super original idea to even attempt such new and less popular ceratopsians.....

You know most people really only think of the big dinos..most do not consider that were some pretty small ones too. Even if they do know of them it's all about the little carnivores like Compsognathus. Adding small herbivorous dinosaurs should give us a bit of new territory to explore in visitor's minds in the park.

I love seeing other artists at work, really helps inspire me to keep going, I'm sure you will nail this design down.  :)

Takama

Im actaully excited for the Aquilops.  Ever since i seen this picture i fell in love with the Genus

Now i can have my own

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: