News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo- new for 2014

Started by Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus, November 08, 2013, 04:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Mauro "Raptor86" on December 24, 2013, 02:36:33 PM
Yes it is.  I made a photo of it that you can find in the blog in my signature.

The PAPO Dimetrodon is one of their best....just a pity that one toe is missing!

Maybe it's a unique sub-species ? :)

leidy

Lol at the JP Raptor in a bird suit.

Maybe they wanted to keep it dinosaurian looking for commercial reasons.

The Dilophosaurus is overdue and welcome.  In some ways I'd prefer a more JP effort, but this will do.

The similarity to the Allosaurus seems to be purely down to the pose, they share the same stride position, but that's about it.  Unlike the Pachyrhinosaurus/Styracosaurus, which was a wrinkle for wrinkle, scale for scale replica in parts.  I took my allosaurus down from the shelf to compare, and despite the similarities, I don't see any direct reproduction.  Possibly parts of the left foot and lower leg sculpt, but that that's about it.  I don't really see the point in recycling an old figure to such a small degree, it's not going to save that much time.  It may just be the artist repeating themselves rather than a deliberate shortcut.

Quote from: ChrisLikesDinos on December 20, 2013, 05:18:49 PM
Archaeopteryx!? Yes please. Looks fantastic, but perhaps a bit like a a feathered Deinonychus. Assuming they were influenced by a popular piece of art does anyone know which one?

Dilophosaurus!? Yesssss. It's clearly using the Allosaurus as a base, but its not bad at all. I only with they were more adventurous with the color scheme. Can we eventually get a young Dilophosaurus with JP influenced features?

Baby Triceratops!? Awesome and cute. 100% JP inspired also. =)

vs

People are saying this, but I don't really see it.  It doesn't seem a direct influence in the way that the adult triceratops and T.rex were.  Perhaps the colouration and the feet, but the body sculpt and the detailing seems quite different.  The head fits right in with the growth series that was published a few years back, and is quite distinct from the JP design. 

Blade-of-the-Moon

A agree on the Dilo and Allo..all I see is  similar pose. 

Looking again..is the Dilo's pubic area cleft ?

tanystropheus

Quote from: leidy on December 27, 2013, 11:13:44 PM

The Dilophosaurus is overdue and welcome.  In some ways I'd prefer a more JP effort, but this will do.

The similarity to the Allosaurus seems to be purely down to the pose, they share the same stride position, but that's about it.  Unlike the Pachyrhinosaurus/Styracosaurus, which was a wrinkle for wrinkle, scale for scale replica in parts.  I took my allosaurus down from the shelf to compare, and despite the similarities, I don't see any direct reproduction.  Possibly parts of the left foot and lower leg sculpt, but that that's about it.  I don't really see the point in recycling an old figure to such a small degree, it's not going to save that much time.  It may just be the artist repeating themselves rather than a deliberate shortcut.

Archaeopteryx!? Yes please. Looks fantastic, but perhaps a bit like a a feathered Deinonychus. Assuming they were influenced by a popular piece of art does anyone know which one?

Dilophosaurus!? Yesssss. It's clearly using the Allosaurus as a base, but its not bad at all. I only with they were more adventurous with the color scheme. Can we eventually get a young Dilophosaurus with JP influenced features?

I would say that the  Papo Dilo more closely resembles the Papo Oviraptor... (with respect to position/pose, and general build)

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1774/papooviraptoractualfigu.jpg

leidy

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 28, 2013, 03:03:49 AM

I would say that the  Papo Dilo more closely resembles the Papo Oviraptor... (with respect to position/pose, and general build)

it's a similar stride.  The leg position in their T.rex is also comparable.  They seem to hit this position quite a lot.  The Carnotaurus is the reverse, but with more of a twist on the back leg.

To be fair to them, it does make for a dynamic pose.

Blade-of-the-Moon

The pose doesn't bother me so much..though I am curious about the size.

alexeratops

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 28, 2013, 12:08:31 AM

Um yeah :-[/ ::)
like a bantha!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: alexeratops on December 28, 2013, 03:31:00 AM

Hmm..I can't find any reason for it to be that way. Neither the Sideshow statue nor any other Dilo I can find really shows such a structure.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 28, 2013, 03:56:47 AM

Hmm..I can't find any reason for it to be that way. Neither the Sideshow statue nor any other Dilo I can find really shows such a structure.
If it's supposed to be a cloacal opening, then it's in the wrong place :-X :-\

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 28, 2013, 04:00:12 AM

If it's supposed to be a cloacal opening, then it's in the wrong place :-X :-\

Yep.  I saw some art with a notch in about that area..but this is pretty large.  I can't find any reference for it.

tanystropheus

It is just extra adipose tissue for insulation during periods of starvation and climate change...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 28, 2013, 04:26:49 AM
It is just extra adipose tissue for insulation during periods of starvation and climate change...
Hmm..odd place for it. ..

SommoDracorex

There's also a new Mini Dinosaurs Tube, look to 19:14.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUvcvvu7dcY

alexeratops

Check Papo Carnotaurus
like a bantha!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: alexeratops on December 28, 2013, 03:14:55 PM

Check Papo Carnotaurus

It has a bit of a dip that shouldn't be there either..but not nearly as bad as the dilo..looks like he took a bite to wrong place.. ;)

Concavenator

I sent Papo an email asking the size of the three figures and the release dates of those.If they answer me,I'd post here,what they've told me. :)

Bokisaurus

Quote from: leidy on December 27, 2013, 11:13:44 PM

Baby Triceratops!? Awesome and cute. 100% JP inspired also. =)

vs

People are saying this, but I don't really see it.  It doesn't seem a direct influence in the way that the adult triceratops and T.rex were.  Perhaps the colouration and the feet, but the body sculpt and the detailing seems quite different.  The head fits right in with the growth series that was published a few years back, and is quite distinct from the JP design.

The pose is definitely very similar.This pose allowed the figures to look dynamic, but more importantly, it allows the figure to be stable without relying on a tripod pose or too large of a feet... something that Carnegie should take note of  ;) ;D
It's interesting, the Allo I had which is displayed for many years now standing, had never had any issues or warping at all. The Carnegie Giga and Spino on the otehr hand, they both were displayed for a while, but developed warping. both feet/legs on these models are now sticking out forward, as if sliding! :-\ ;) ;D
They are now banished to the box, out of sight ;D Even the help of the tripod pose could not save these two from suffering major warping.

alexeratops

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 28, 2013, 04:13:32 PM

Check Papo Carnotaurus

It has a bit of a dip that shouldn't be there either..but not nearly as bad as the dilo..looks like he took a bite to wrong place.. ;)

Dude that's gross
like a bantha!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: alexeratops on December 29, 2013, 10:17:36 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 28, 2013, 04:13:32 PM

Check Papo Carnotaurus

Dude that's gross

Not mention exceedingly painful..;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: