News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo- new for 2014

Started by Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus, November 08, 2013, 04:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

The Archeo certainly looks much better now, though I had intended to buy it anyway ..lol

Yeah when the same artist creates multiple pieces you end up with a lot of similarity in them. The pose for the Allo allowed it to ( mostly ) stand on it's own so it makes sense they went with something similar.  I do still wonder about the tail thickness though.

Roselaar

Archaeopteryx looks great from a top angle too. I'm not complaining about any inaccuracies and I'll definitely go get one.

Concavenator

The Archaeopteryx looks lovely now.The coloration is very beautiful (though inaccurate),and looks pretty sweet.A must have for me,I love feathered dinosaur and mesozoic birds figures.This one is really nice.Sadly,I don't think Papo will release more feathered goodies.They had to release something feathered at some point,do they were conservative and released a bird (Or is Archaeopteryx a dinosaur,perhaps,an early dromaeosaur?  ??? )

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Concavenator on January 23, 2014, 09:06:26 PM
The Archaeopteryx looks lovely now.The coloration is very beautiful (though inaccurate),and looks pretty sweet.A must have for me,I love feathered dinosaur and mesozoic birds figures.This one is really nice.Sadly,I don't think Papo will release more feathered goodies.They had to release something feathered at some point,do they were conservative and released a bird (Or is Archaeopteryx a dinosaur,perhaps,an early dromaeosaur?  ??? )
Actually, Archaeopteryx was reclassified as a deinonychosaur aa few years ago :).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Gwangi

Quote from: Yutyrannus on January 23, 2014, 09:47:37 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on January 23, 2014, 09:06:26 PM
Actually, Archaeopteryx was reclassified as a deinonychosaur aa few years ago :).

Actually, I don't think it was but I know there have been a lot of debates over what it should be classified as. At the moment though, it is still classified as a bird I think.

Concavenator

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on January 23, 2014, 09:49:01 AM
Quote from: amanda on January 23, 2014, 05:11:28 AM
It's an implication, not a fact. Every other hinged item in the catalog has special graphics showing the open/close positioning. Even last years. But nothing on the new ones which is odd. I could see if the new graphics did not highlight the option on any, but to still go out of their way to show that for all but the new ones is suggestive.

Everything Dinosaur team members had a meeting with Papo senior management recently, we will post up picture of the new Archaeopteryx shortly, but an update on the articulated jaw issues, for anyone that has raised this point.  The Dilophosaurus model will have an articulated jaw, with the Archaeopteryx although it was proposed to have one, the jaw is not articulated, it just proved too fiddly to sort out as the production began in earnest.  However, the beak/mouth is very well painted.  Papo seem to have really gone out of their way to give their Archaeopteryx a really good paint job.
Could you post a pic of the Dilophosaurus please?

Takama

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on January 27, 2014, 05:55:44 PM

Looks good to me...and for anyone that doesn't like the paint..that's only skin deep. ;)

Concavenator

Thank you very much for the pic!Wow,it's lovely!  ^-^
Was there a photo of the Dilophosaurus?

Takama

Quote from: Concavenator on January 27, 2014, 06:09:30 PM
Thank you very much for the pic!Wow,it's lovely!  ^-^
Was there a photo of the Dilophosaurus?

I didn't see one

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Takama on January 27, 2014, 05:55:44 PM

I have to say...I do not like the paintwork on the head. The rest of the model is fine, though.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Should easy to repaint that one part and match it up.

Gwangi

I would like to see someone just take off the entire head and neck and sculpt a new, more avian one. Still, based on these new pictures the model does not look as reptilian as I had initially feared.

Megalosaurus

Quote from: Gwangi on January 27, 2014, 09:40:12 PM
I would like to see someone just take off the entire head and neck and sculpt a new, more avian one. Still, based on these new pictures the model does not look as reptilian as I had initially feared.
Indeed.
Still this is not the way I imagine this creature. I think that if you took the correct modern bird toy, give it a vertebrated feathered tail, teeth & visible hand claws, it will be more similar to the real look of Archaeopterix.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

amanda

I am a little confused. Do we not have very, very good specimens for Archy? So the exact skull shape anyway is known. I am not suggesting Papo even bothered to look, but didn't the first one not show feathers and appeared reptilian, until another with clear feathers were found? But the skeleton and skull appeared clearly more reptilian than bird? So, imagining at as more bird-like is...? And do we know the exact color, or the color of similar species?

Gwangi

Quote from: Megalosaurus on January 27, 2014, 11:32:10 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on January 27, 2014, 09:40:12 PM
Indeed.
Still this is not the way I imagine this creature. I think that if you took the correct modern bird toy, give it a vertebrated feathered tail, teeth & visible hand claws, it will be more similar to the real look of Archaeopterix.

I totally agree. I'll still get the figure though, it is the best the market currently has to offer.

tyrantqueen

I believe Archaeopteryx and its kin acted very much like birds of today. I would like to see a reconstruction of such an animal with its wings folded instead of seeing its arms and legs flailing in the air and its mouth open. Even the Carnegie Microraptor suffers from this. That's why I like this image:

In other words, less of the monstrous reconstructions, and more of the bird-like ones. But that's just me :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

The skull seems about right from reconstruction pics I've seen..maybe a bit wider.

The attack pose works for a toy where kids will want to get it and play with an active pose.  I can't say I've seen an Archeopteryx figure in an attack pose before either so it works my collection.  The Bully figure is just kind of standing there.

The Microraptor by Carnegie I think was done in that pose to show off the wings better..hang it like it's climbing a tree and it looks pretty cool.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 28, 2014, 12:11:43 AM
I believe Archaeopteryx and its kin acted very much like birds of today. I would like to see a reconstruction of such an animal with its wings folded instead of seeing its arms and legs flailing in the air and its mouth open. Even the Carnegie Microraptor suffers from this. That's why I like this image:

In other words, less of the monstrous reconstructions, and more of the bird-like ones. But that's just me :)
I completely agree. In fact, I'd like to see a Velociraptor similar in style to that pic by some company. Let's hope ;).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Patrx

Quote from: Yutyrannus on January 28, 2014, 01:35:11 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 28, 2014, 12:11:43 AM

I completely agree. In fact, I'd like to see a Velociraptor similar in style to that pic by some company. Let's hope ;).

Hear, hear! That is something I've been hoping to see for quite some time.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: