News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Pilkington's Customs *Updated 8/7/2019*

Started by Pilkington, February 09, 2014, 01:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pilkington

I was organizing picture files on my computer and came across these pictures of the customs I did for the last two diorama contests.  These were "test" shots of the figures to make sure I hadn't missed anything while painting so the picture quality isn't the best.

First up is the Wild Safari Rex:

Next is the Carnegie Amargasaurus:

Last up is the Carnegie Giganotosaurus:

EDIT - Replacing old Photobucket links with new ones, kept the old Rex image so it doesn't mess up quotes
If you wanna be alone, come with me

Balaur

alexeratops

like a bantha!

Pachyrhinosaurus

Wonderful. They look like they were made to be like that. I initially, upon seeing your Diorama Contest entry, thought the tyrannosaurus was a resin kit.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Pilkington

Thanks everyone for the comments.  I don't really have the time to get any customs done anymore, I keep on getting sidetracked with other projects.  Which is a shame because I have a box full of dinosaurs to get done.

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on February 09, 2014, 03:16:54 AM
Wonderful. They look like they were made to be like that. I initially, upon seeing your Diorama Contest entry, thought the tyrannosaurus was a resin kit.

Thanks, I'd been wanting to make a sleeping Rex for quite sometime and the diorama contest was the perfect excuse to actually do it.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Concavenator

That's the Tyrannosaurus I recall seeing in the diorama Siesta isn't it?  ;)

amargasaurus cazaui

Those are all gorgeous repaints. I am especially fond of the Tyrannosaurus, for the colors and patterns especially. Of course I always liked the Amargasaurus and commented as much back when you entered it in the diorama contest.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Jetoar

Very cool repaints friends. Tyrannosaurus is awesome  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Doug Watson

[/quote]

Amazing work, when I saw the T rex in the contest I didn't even recognize it as my Safari Ltd sculpt. Love the paint job too. Doug

Pilkington

Sorry for the late reply my cat has been sick this past week not to mention I've been watching way too much Olympic coverage.  So I haven't been on the computer as much and missed some posts.

Quote from: Concavenator on February 09, 2014, 08:43:02 AM
That's the Tyrannosaurus I recall seeing in the diorama Siesta isn't it?  ;)
Yep, the Rex is from my diorama Siesta.

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 09, 2014, 08:55:22 AM
Those are all gorgeous repaints. I am especially fond of the Tyrannosaurus, for the colors and patterns especially. Of course I always liked the Amargasaurus and commented as much back when you entered it in the diorama contest.
The Amargasaurus was so much fun to make.  I was really happy with how it turn out and it gave me the confidence to even attempt the Rex custom.  Although I must admit that looking at it now I'm not a big fan of the white on the Amargasaurus, I'm really not sure why I didn't blend that into the tan.

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 09, 2014, 01:37:53 PM

Amazing work, when I saw the T rex in the contest I didn't even recognize it as my Safari Ltd sculpt. Love the paint job too. Doug
I'm honored that you commented.  I had a such a hard time starting this custom, seriously I had the figure for about 2 months I could psych myself up to make the first cut.  I was so afraid that it wouldn't turn out and that I was ruining the figure.

The paint on this one wasn't really planned out at all.  Almost every Rex custom I've done I have the tendency to paint it like the Thrasher T-Rex from the Lost World toy line and when I started to paint this one I really tried to avoid the pattern.  However half way done I realized that again the original stripes were mimicking the Thrashers.  So I winged it and turned the strips into splotches.

KaraWildsong42

I am absolutely floored by the sleeping T. Rex! The pose is wonderfully executed and I like the splotched, tree shadow kind of markings, they look natural. The Amargasaurus and Gigantosaurus are also beautifully colored, wonderful choices!
You're not allowed to call them dinosaurs any more," said Yo-less. "It's speciesist. You have to call them pre-petroleum persons. -Terry Pratchett

Dinomike

Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Pilkington

Since I'm about to start working on this year's diorama I figured it was about time to post pictures of the dinosaurs from the last two diorama contests.

Wild Safari Apatosaurus 1:

Wild Safari Apatosaurus 2:

Wild Safari Kaprosuchus:

EDIT - Replacing old Photobucket links with new ones.

Viergacht

Man alive, that mommy suchus is absolutely precious!

AcroSauroTaurus

Those are awesome! You do a good job with re-positioning ;).
I am the Dinosaur King!

Flaffy

That kaprosuchus though... SO BEAUTIFUL! I wish Papo/Sarai offered this version of the kapro.
Great work!

empire3569

That rearing apatosaurus is INCREDIBLE! Only problem with it is its not on my shelf  :P great customs! Looking forward to seeing more!

Pilkington

Thanks for all the kind words.  I'm quite happy with the way the Kaprosuchus turned out.  Honestly I had my doubts while I was customizing it, there was a lot of trial and error with that one.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: