News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Do companies really care what we think ?

Started by Concavenator, February 09, 2014, 07:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

So Safari has published a image on there FB page with an image of a suspicious figure that looks lime a resculpt of the Quetzalcoatlus for the Carnegie collection:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151930398398193&set=a.293876388192.143961.156425368192&type=1&theate
Look at the left near some trees.
Any thoughts on that figure?

Roselaar

Can't make heads or tails of it, but it doesn't look much like a Quetz. More like a grasshopper or a vacuum cleaner.

amargasaurus cazaui

How bout a dragon to go with their mythical creatures line?They are also doing a glow in the dark dragons Toob this year so......
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Balaur

Yutyrannus

On the far left? Cause that certainly looks like some kind of pterosaur to me.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Concavenator

Quote from: Yutyrannus on February 09, 2014, 08:39:51 PM
On the far left? Cause that certainly looks like some kind of pterosaur to me.
Exactly  ;)
Certainly some sort of pterosaur,so it's perhaps Quetzalcoatlus,considering how inaccurate the current one is.

Takama

Guys. I did some close inspection and that's not a pterosaur at all.    Its a dragon.   The  pterosaurs beak is the dragons wing. And the head is bareliy noticable behind that tree.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Yeah...even at first glance, that doesn't look like a Quetz at all; not even a pterosaur!  ::)
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Takama

Yutyrannus

Yeah, I see now. I guess I got a bit excited about the possibility considering I suggested a walking Quetzalcoatlus to Safari a while ago.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: Yutyrannus on February 09, 2014, 10:26:30 PM
Yeah, I see now. I guess I got a bit excited about the possibility considering I suggested a walking Quetzalcoatlus to Safari a while ago.
Quite honestly, (and this isn't to quash anyone's dreams...) I think that Safari and other companies could care less what people suggest. For instance, Papo probably didn't come out with a Dilo just because people from the DTF suggested it; the Dilophosaurus was bound to come from Papo sooner or later. Same with other dinos and other companies.
So when people say things like, "Oh, Papo will probably come out with a Giganotosaurus in 2014 because we suggested it," that's probably not true; you're thinking a bit too highly of yourself!  ;D
Just my opinion, though. Companies might be willing to listen to random individuals who say "Hey, you should do a Quetz!" but I seriously doubt it.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Libraraptor

False alarm  :( Would have been pretty cool.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on February 09, 2014, 10:55:51 PM
Quite honestly, (and this isn't to quash anyone's dreams...) I think that Safari and other companies could care less what people suggest. For instance, Papo probably didn't come out with a Dilo just because people from the DTF suggested it; the Dilophosaurus was bound to come from Papo sooner or later. Same with other dinos and other companies.
So when people say things like, "Oh, Papo will probably come out with a Giganotosaurus in 2014 because we suggested it," that's probably not true; you're thinking a bit too highly of yourself!  ;D
Just my opinion, though. Companies might be willing to listen to random individuals who say "Hey, you should do a Quetz!" but I seriously doubt it.
I agree. It is true that some companies do listen to feedback from fans if they receive it in a large enough amount (such as when there was a big fan outburst over the CollectA Mapusaurus, they did reply to our questions but didn't change anything) but it's not just possible or practical for them to comply with every request they get from fans. To say otherwise is just wishful thinking.

tyrantqueen

Maybe it's not Quetzalcoatlus, but it could be Quetzalcoatl himself, the feathered serpent >:D

Takama

Safari Cares about the suggestions that we members come up with.  That Monolophosaurus was Requested by me(Though I doubt that I was alone when it was requested) Safari comes up with an inspiration list that is full of fan and customer requests.  I can say the same for CollectA, but I can not say the same for Papo, and Schleich doesn't give a hoot about collectors, all they care about is the cash rolling into there bank account.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Takama on February 09, 2014, 11:09:53 PM

Safari Cares about the suggestions that we members come up with.  That Monolophosaurus was Requested by me(Though I doubt that I was alone when it was requested) Safari comes up with an inspiration list that is full of fan and customer requests.  I can say the same for CollectA, but I can not say the same for Papo, and Schleich doesn't give a hoot about collectors, all they care about is the cash rolling into there bank account.
And Safari doesn't?

I'd say Safari cares about fan requests enough...if it helps them make money.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Pardon me for saying this, but I seriously doubt that your suggestion had anything to do with the fact that Safari decided to produce the beautiful Monolophosaurus. If it did, awesome, but it would probably take more than even 10 suggestions for the same dinosaur for Safari to even read the suggestion. Companies, as a general rule, exist to make money. Not to cater to every single person or even dino model collector in the world.
However, again, this is just my opinion.
-Peter Benchley

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on February 09, 2014, 11:13:35 PM

Pardon me for saying this, but I seriously doubt that your suggestion had anything to do with the fact that Safari decided to produce the beautiful Monolophosaurus. If it did, awesome, but it would probably take more than even 10 suggestions for the same dinosaur for Safari to even read the suggestion. Companies, as a general rule, exist to make money. Not to cater to every single person or even dino model collector in the world.
However, again, this is just my opinion.
It's not just an opinion, it's a fact :) Businesses exist to make money. The toy industry is an especially competitive one. If Safari complied with every single request they got, we'd probably end up with hundreds of new figures every year.

Concavenator

And hey,wasn't the Suchomimus requested.This summer w'all were praying for one! ;D And now it's already released.

Mauro "Raptor86"

Well I like to think that the plants in the Prehistoric Landscapes (http://paleo-nerd.blogspot.nl/2011/09/prehistoric-landscapes-2011-by-safari.html) were done by Safari ltd. because of my suggestion.

About a year before I had several discussions with them, suggesting that people would have loved to have some trees to use in prehistoric dioramas. In that moment they answered that they sold a tree toob (http://safariltd.com/p/trees-toobs-figurines-684304), but I insisted that we needed PREHISTORIC plants...

So sometimes, companies do listen to their fan base.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: