You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Gwangi's Collection (Group Shots pg. 7)

Started by Gwangi, March 13, 2012, 02:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Himmapaan

Brilliant, thank you. The Thorburn piece is gorgeous too.

Gwangi

Gwangi

I moved recently and with that came all the hassle and joy or arranging my dinosaur collection. Mostly a hassle I will admit. I needed to use the shelf formally devoted to dinosaurs for DVDs and so thought I would do something different and distribute the dinosaurs across the house. It looks nice I think but I think I would rather get a shelf devoted to them again. As a result of this some of my lesser desired figures have been packed away and some I've decided I don't want at all...those are in my trade thread.

Marine reptiles. I was really hard pressed to find a place for this and basically just settled on the fish tank light.

Jurassic Park dinosaurs (with one imposter). These sit on one of my wife's book shelves. She doesn't mind.

Assorted herbivores.

Dinosaurs have invaded my book shelves. I don't think I like this arrangement.

Ceratopsians and pachys.

The best display in the house, the sauropods above a doorway. My wife loves this. It may have been her idea.

Smaller sauropods nearby.

Smaller figures mixed in with assorted skulls, fossils and other similar things.

Some non-dinosaur archosaurs above the fireplace.

A couple synapsids also above the fireplace.

Feathered dinosaurs!

Tyrannosaurs

Theropods

Mammals

And finally...this guy had no other place to go so he protects my fish and turtle food.

Hope you enjoyed and thanks for stopping by!

FUTABA

How come your Bullyland Velociraptor is so small? I like it, it's all pocket sized. I thought they were all 1:20 scale but yours looks more like 1:35 /1:40 or something from the photo.

Great collection I must add. And I especially like the big brown Schleich Edmontosaurus, just holds such a presence.
I really really like blue things.

Gwangi

Quote from: FUTABA on July 02, 2013, 10:02:10 PM
How come your Bullyland Velociraptor is so small? I like it, it's all pocket sized. I thought they were all 1:20 scale but yours looks more like 1:35 /1:40 or something from the photo.

He is a mini! He came with a mini Tyrannosaurus and Allosaurus but they're not on display right now.

QuoteGreat collection I must add. And I especially like the big brown Schleich Edmontosaurus, just holds such a presence.[/color]

Thanks. I am a big fan of that Edmontosaurus too, proof that Scheich isn't all bad, or at least wasn't. It is one of my favorite ornithopod figures.

Battatitan

Amazing collection, Gwangi. Re-populating a new house with figures must be very exciting  8)
I agree with your wife about the sauropods, and, if it was indeed her idea, then bravo!  :))

FUTABA

Never knew they did minis. 8) Might have to look out for one now.

My favourite Ornithopod figure by Schleich (in fact my favourite figure by them altogether) is the 2007 Parasaurolophus. Such great detail and paintwork, probably the most highly detailed face of any Para figure I've come across (even more than the papo). I feel really let down by most of their 2012 offerings though. (The para is pretty though, although admittedly not as highly detailed, and the Quetzalcoatlus' colours are to die for, but for me they are the only exceptions).

Yeah so anyway that Edmontosaurus might have to go on my list.

docronnie

Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Gwangi

Thanks everyone.  FUTABA, looks like I need to keep an eye out for that para. I also would really like to get my hands on the Battat para and Invicta Lambeosaurus but those are a bit harder to find.

I've since moved some of my dinosaurs around, taking the ones from in front of my books on my bookshelves and relocating them elsewhere. I didn't like having to move them in order to pull out particular books.

amargasaurus cazaui

I wanted to ask a question if you wouldnt mind Gwangi...towards the end of the shelf with the Iguanodons, and duckbills there appears to be a large object, that my eye keeps catching as a vertebrae from some kind of larger animal perhaps? It dwarfs the carnegie Iguanodon...what is that object? My eyes register a centrum and processes, so how far off am I?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gwangi

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 08, 2013, 04:03:25 AM
I wanted to ask a question if you wouldnt mind Gwangi...towards the end of the shelf with the Iguanodons, and duckbills there appears to be a large object, that my eye keeps catching as a vertebrae from some kind of larger animal perhaps? It dwarfs the carnegie Iguanodon...what is that object? My eyes register a centrum and processes, so how far off am I?

You might be surprised to find out but it is not a vertebrae. You're actually looking at a pig skull. What you're seeing is the back of the cranium and the lower jaw.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Gwangi on July 08, 2013, 02:00:29 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 08, 2013, 04:03:25 AM

You might be surprised to find out but it is not a vertebrae. You're actually looking at a pig skull. What you're seeing is the back of the cranium and the lower jaw.
Glad I asked now, and thanks for telling me. I kept wondering if it were a vert how you would have gotten it to stand like that and why the processes looked so odd, now I know . I would have never guessed pig skull in a million years !!!
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gwangi

Well pig skulls look pretty strange so I can see why from that picture you might think it was something else. Here it is in its entirety. It's not very clean and the lower jaw actually comes from a different individual. It is certainly bizarre and I've actually had a couple guests ask if it was a dinosaur skull.  :o

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Gwangi on July 09, 2013, 04:00:30 AM
Well pig skulls look pretty strange so I can see why from that picture you might think it was something else. Here it is in its entirety. It's not very clean and the lower jaw actually comes from a different individual. It is certainly bizarre and I've actually had a couple guests ask if it was a dinosaur skull.  :o

If I had not been told I would have never have recognized that as a pig ! What a huge lower jaw. The area for the brain sure looks like it is compact......perhaps tell your guests it came from a farm field in Roswell . That will give them something to worry over HA

Takama

Theres something about that skull that gives me the creeps.   Mybe its just me. 

Its nice to compare that with This

FUTABA

I just got my friend to try and guess what animal the skull came from and she guessed right first time. :o She has proven herself worthy of my friendship. :P

Gwangi

Quote from: FUTABA on July 09, 2013, 10:57:42 PM
I just got my friend to try and guess what animal the skull came from and she guessed right first time. :o She has proven herself worthy of my friendship. :P

I guess so, even more so than some of my friends who mostly had no idea what it was from.

Yes Takama, it is certainly kinda creepy looking. It doesn't really look like anything familiar at first guess. If you want to see some really creepy skulls look at some from the various brachycephalic dog breeds like bulldogs.

tyrantqueen

QuoteYes Takama, it is certainly kinda creepy looking. It doesn't really look like anything familiar at first guess. If you want to see some really creepy skulls look at some from the various brachycephalic dog breeds like bulldogs.

Not only is it creepy, it's saddening how deformed these animals have become over the centuries. Pedigree Dogs Exposed did a good job showing how crippled pugs have become, they're so messed up and inbred that they can't even breathe properly :-\

amargasaurus cazaui

This all actually makes me feel alot better about asking what the thing was...I admit I was truly puzzled. I also am glad to learn more and be shown what a pig skull truly looks like. Thanks again for your efforts Gwangi.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: