You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Patrx's Collection (Fauna Prehistorica)

Started by Patrx, April 04, 2012, 12:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Patrx

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 21, 2018, 09:23:21 PM
What's holding his tail?  :o

Whoah, hey, just now seeing this months later; it's sort of leaning on an old metal "Godzilla"-shaped lighter, of all things. It's a neat little thing I got as a gift, but I never have been able to get it to generate a flame.

dinokiwi

Incredible collection Patrx!
But I'm curious if you have more information about that Horizon Achaeopteryx fossil? I have 4 of those (different species, missing that one) but I don't have any info about them. Thanks

tanystropheus

Quote from: Patrx on May 17, 2018, 04:04:49 PM
Now, for something moderately different, movie "dinosaurs"!

And here's one of REBOR's "Compsognathus", based on the spindly little land piranhas from The Lost World: Jurassic Park. There is a bigger, better version from"Dino Dream", but space and money absolutely are on my list of things to give a darn about. Thanks to avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres for selling this one to me so that I could avoid paying REBOR directly  ;)

What if someone sees your collection and is inspired to purchase it from REBOR directly?  ;)
What if you inspire an entire generation of millennials, unwittingly, to purchase products from REBOR?

Patrx

Quote from: dinokiwi on July 11, 2018, 10:56:47 PM
But I'm curious if you have more information about that Horizon Achaeopteryx fossil? I have 4 of those (different species, missing that one) but I don't have any info about them. Thanks

Thank you! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find out much about them either. The fossil replicas do appear to be from the same Horizon company that produced a series of popular vinyl dinosaur kits in the early '90s. There is a company called Horizon that currently makes plastic spacecraft replicas, but I am not sure whether the two organizations are connected or not.

Quote from: tanystropheus on July 12, 2018, 06:17:04 AMWhat if someone sees your collection and is inspired to purchase it from REBOR directly?  ;)

Hah, that would be quite all right by me.

Patrx

Malawisaurus dixeyi
("Malawi reptile")
Safari, LTD
Really happy with this one, the size is about right for my shelves and the bold colors work. Plus, it's my only titanosaur! Check out those clawless forelimb mitts.

Archaeopteryx lithographica
Sculpted by Kazunari Araki for Favorite Co., Ltd.
This little creature really looks like it's trying to get somewhere - or away from somewhere. A decent sculpt, but I wish the wing digits were fused and fuzzed. How come nobody ever does that?

Sciurumimus albersdoerferi
("Squirrel mimic")
Sculpted by Matthias Geiger for CollectA
I'm so glad somebody decided to make a figure of this magnificent little dinosaur! Still, it could be better. It's very small, and looks a bit bedraggled and scrawny. As with most fluffy CollectA figures, the filaments don't cover the hips and shoulders realistically. Mostly good, though!

Dimetrodon
("Two measures of teeth")
While I really like the pose and sail on this one, it does not have lips and is marred somewhat by the articulated jaw and separately-molded neck piece, so I will undoubtedly pick up the recent Safari version to accompany it soon.

Brontosaurus
("Thunder reptile")
Very happy to have a Brontosaurus to join the herd! It's overall really great, although the scale detail is too big and the neck is a bit on the thin side. I also would have preferred lips to cover the teeth.

Shonisaurus

I sincerely like the dimetrodon and brontosaurus of Matthias Geiger, although they could have been on a much larger scale.

On the other hand, Safari's malawisaurus and Favorite archeopteryx bought from Brett are two of my favorite figures in my dinosaur collection.

I am happy for you Patrx the figures are scientifically very precise and their manufacture is outstanding.

Halichoeres

Nice photos! I agree on the Dimetrodon jaw, it would have been much better without the joint.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

ceratopsian

Nice photos of nice additions.  I agree the Sciurumimus looks a bit scrawny and bedraggled.  I tend to imagine that it isn't in perfect health, a bit of the runt of the hatchlings, and that's why this one became the fossil we have today!  I don't care for articulated jaws - the joins look too obvious, and especially so on this Dimetrodon.

Patrx

Thanks folks! Glad you like the photos.

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 22, 2018, 03:41:27 PM
I agree on the Dimetrodon jaw, it would have been much better without the joint.
Quite so! In fact, it's so distracting that I'm considering attempting some customization via putty or similar, but my skills in that area are presently limited.

Quote from: ceratopsian on July 22, 2018, 05:34:01 PM
I agree the Sciurumimus looks a bit scrawny and bedraggled.  I tend to imagine that it isn't in perfect health, a bit of the runt of the hatchlings, and that's why this one became the fossil we have today!
Hah, that works! It's true that very young dinosaurs today don't generally look particularly, well, healthy anyway.

dinokiwi

Quote from: Patrx on July 12, 2018, 05:23:49 PM
Quote from: dinokiwi on July 11, 2018, 10:56:47 PM

Thank you! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find out much about them either. The fossil replicas do appear to be from the same Horizon company that produced a series of popular vinyl dinosaur kits in the early '90s. There is a company called Horizon that currently makes plastic spacecraft replicas, but I am not sure whether the two organizations are connected or not.

Well I have 3 of these new in box, and the boxes are white. Nothing on it. Will look up for more info. Thanks

Patrx

Dakotaraptor steini
("Dakota theif")
Produced by IVS Group Ltd for Dinosaurs in the Wild

Big thanks to avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres and avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian for their help in obtaining this massive creature! As Halichoeres pointed out in his own collection thread, this Dakotaraptor is way bigger and heavier than anticipated. It's a little "toyetic" for me, but I really like the overall design.

ceratopsian

Happy to have helped. I'm just glad it survived all the stages of its journey intact!  Very nice photos of the beast.

Shonisaurus

The Dakotaraptor reminds me a lot in its style to the raptors of "Beast of the Mesozoic". It is a nice figure.

Halichoeres

You should review it! I don't even have the space to photograph this behemoth in lateral view!

Patrx

Quote from: Shonisaurus on July 29, 2018, 09:10:08 AM
The Dakotaraptor reminds me a lot in its style to the raptors of "Beast of the Mesozoic". It is a nice figure.
They do have a lot in common! It's interesting that most of the really great dromaeosaur toys have turned out to be articulated.

Quote from: ceratopsian on July 29, 2018, 07:54:53 AM
Very nice photos of the beast.
Quote from: Halichoeres on July 31, 2018, 02:15:16 AM
You should review it! I don't even have the space to photograph this behemoth in lateral view!

Thanks - I actually wouldn't mind trying to review it. But getting that lateral photo was a pain, I also ran out of space! There's a bit of Photoshoppery going on to make the background consistent, my lightbox is not that big. Plus, that's the only time I've gotten the Dakotaraptor to stand on its own two feet with its tail clear of the ground! But, if I can manage a few more good pictures, I'll write a review :)

Patrx

Last year, a great little movie premiered that nobody watched, called Power Rangers. A week or so ago, many props from the production of the film were auctioned off online, and I had the opportunity to acquire something I think is really neat:

This is the Blue Ranger's Triceratops Power Coin. I decided to set up a little remote-controlled LED array to give it some light, you can just about make up the Triceratops design.

Patrx

Glad to finally have the new miniatures from PNSO!
Sculpted by 赵闯 (ZHAO Chuang) for the Peking Natural Science-art Organization.

Tianyulong confuciusi
("Tiānyǔ dragon")
Heterodontosaurid figures are really sparse, so this one is a welcome addition. I like the sculpt and patterns, but I'm not sure how likely these green filaments are and the forelimbs appear to be somewhat pronated.

Sinosauropteryx prima
("Chinese reptile-wing")
Considering how important (and beautiful) the fossils of Sinosauropteryx are, the number of toy reconstructions is low. This one is larger, but somewhat less detailed than the Kaiyodo version, but the Kaiyodo was designed before the melanasome study was done, so the PNSO reconstruction has a more accurate color scheme.

Nemicolopterus crypticus
("hidden forest-dwelling wing")
Figures of small pterosaurs are terribly uncommon (perhaps you are picking up on a theme here), so I had to pick up this little gem. Despite being tiny, I think this figure is around 1/1 scale for Nemicolopterus, or, as the case may be, a very young Sinopterus. I really like the colors on this one, but I would have preferred denser fluff on the neck and chest, mostly just as an aesthetic preference.

Mei long
("Sleeping dragon")
Another absolutely fascinating animal, the little troodontid Mei. Not much to say about this one in particular, it's just nice.

Anchiornis huxleyi
("Huxley's near-bird")
This one's a real beauty if you ask me, and the best Anchiornis available (although that's just between this one and the Takara figure). Really dense feathers that obscure its skeletal and muscular anatomy, calm pose, and evidence-based coloration. The only thing I don't love about it is the uncovered teeth, which are barely visible anyway.

All of these minis are just now being released, but I do think there's a difference between the ones that were sculpted earlier and the ones that are more recent designs. The newer sculpts, like Anchiornis, Nemicolopterus, and Tianyulong, are larger and more detailed, with more complex paint, than the earlier pieces here, Sinosauropteryx and Mei. I don't have any of PNSO's ceratopsids in hand, but from photos, I think a similar disparity exists between, for example, the older Kosmoceratops and the newer Xenoceratops.

Shonisaurus

Your analysis of the PNSO dinosaurs is very realistic and attractive. I'm happy for you as much as for the rest of the forum members who already have these gems.

Unfortunately, my package with the twenty-four dinosaurs of PNSO still does not reach my home.

My congratulations Patrx.

Halichoeres

I agree on the Nemicolopterus, would rather it had been a little "downier." But maybe that's just me thinking of it as too literal an analogue for bird chicks.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: