You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Patrx's Collection (Fauna Prehistorica)

Started by Patrx, April 04, 2012, 12:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Quote from: Bokisaurus on April 02, 2019, 06:36:41 PM
Nice to see some new photos of the collection. :D

Thanks! Here are a few more:

Stegosaurus armatus
My thoughts on this piece can be found in my DinoToyBlog review! Spoilers; I like this one.

Allosaurus fragilis
Another nice figure, I really like the colors and inclusion of lips. Might touch up some paint on the face, and my copy does have a little bit of warping going on in the legs.

Pteranodon longiceps
Finally, a good Pteranodon, and it's not in a flying pose! This one is really impressive, the textures are great, the fibrous coat is nicely dense, and the paint is really impressive–check out that gradient on the crest! I was originally perplexed by the snout shape, expecting a more upturned look, but Doug has explained his reasoning on this front in other threads and it holds up.

Shonisaurus

Every day I love that Safari allosaurus more. Miron will receive it at the end of next month. I will wait for what is needed to urzeitshop.

Patrx

Patrx

Ankylosaurus magniventris, sculpted by 赵闯 (ZHAO Chuang) for the Peking Natural Science-art Organization
My first non-miniature PNSO figure, and it certainly doesn't disappoint! The coloration and paint techniques are unique and pretty convincing.

Concavenator

I'm personally not a fan of Ankylosaurus itself, but this model is  something else.It's a nice change from  the usual "defense pose" ankylosaurs.

For some reason the only ankylosaur I currently own in my collection is the Schleich 2008 Saichania , so this would make quite an upgrade  ;D

Congrats on getting yours. Great photos as always!

Shonisaurus

The ankylosaurus PNSO is a sculpturally well-finished model and sincerely more affordable than other PNSO figures. I congratulate you Patrx for your new acquisition.

Halichoeres

Nice photos of a very photogenic figure :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Killekor

Thanks for the photos Patrx! The ankylosaurus is definitely one of the best dinosaur toys ever done!

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Patrx

It really is a top-notch piece. I'm still on the fence about PNSO's new Stegosaurus (the back legs look a little bit long?) but I do hope they continue to make figures like this in the same price range.

Thanks for the compliments regarding the photos, folks! If anyone's curious as to why I chose to use white backgrounds, it's entirely because of the Dorling Kindersley Eyewitness series of books, cassettes, and CD-ROMs I learned so much from in my earlier years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwarhzl76D8

Concavenator

So I read a comment by avatar_suspsy @suspsy on the DTB about the PNSO Ankylosaurus that surprised me...turns out that its tail position is inaccurate.Why so? If it is, is it a very big inaccuracy? I was thinking this piece was pretty much perfect accuracy-wise, so this is kind of a bummer.

Also, avatar_Patrx @Patrx , what are your thoughts on the new  PNSO figures (Spinops, Eurhinosaurus...) 

And what about their Stego? Seems like Safari's is still more accurate,isn't it?

Cheers  :)

Shonisaurus

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator For me the Safari stegosaurus is superior to that of the PNSO in terms of scientific precision and quality of sculpture.

On the other hand the ankylosaurus of PNSO is at least the same algura that its counterpart of Safari although sincerely I like more the ankylosaurus of Doug.

suspsy

Quote from: Concavenator on July 02, 2019, 03:55:02 PM
So I read a comment by avatar_suspsy @suspsy on the DTB about the PNSO Ankylosaurus that surprised me...turns out that its tail position is inaccurate.Why so? If it is, is it a very big inaccuracy?

Didn't you read the entire comment? I explained it all right there.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Concavenator

avatar_suspsy @suspsy I see.Kind of a shame, I had considered getting it because I don't have an up to date ankylosaur in my collection.I thought it was practically perfectly accurate, but apparently it has (according to your comment) a major inaccuracy.

Also,which, out of the already released figures, is your personal favorite? I don't have any PNSO figures yet,and I'm interested in this new mid size range.Which one would you personally reccomend?

suspsy

As far as inaccuracies go, I don't consider it a dealbreaker. It's still the best sculpted Ankylosaurus toy I've ever seen.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Maybe I'd feel differently if I ever bought it, but that 'Ankylosaurus' just doesn't do it for me
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Patrx

That's true, the end of the tail shouldn't be bent down like that. Aesthetically, it works to make the club look heavy and dangerous, but even so I've been meaning to try and apply some heat and straighten it out a bit.

Patrx

Here's a charming pair of CollectA theropods, both the work of Matthias Geiger.

Carnotaurus sastrei
Seeing it in-hand, I'm surprised at how excellent this one is!

Baryonyx walkeri
See my review on the blog for my thoughts on this piece :)

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Patrx

The first vanguard of the 2020 Safari Prehistoric World collection has begun to invade my shelves:

Pachycephalosaurus wyomingensis

I knew I was going to like this one; it really is charming in person. There aren't that many great figures of this genus around despite its relative fame, so I'm glad to have this. Doug Watson's knack for ceratopsians does, it seems, extend to the rest of Marginocephalia as well. Just like the earlier Dracorex, this does a good job of illustrating a dinosaur that's bulky, but agile, with a barrel-like abdomen, strong tail muscles, and powerful legs. The tail, past the base, is appropriately flat laterally, and the figure stands quite well despite its reasonably-sized feet.

Dilophosaurus wetherilli

Wow, this figure is tiny! I didn't expect that, as I almost never look at measurements or scale. I already have a Dilophosaurus that I like, the big 1/15 scale FaunaCasts model, but this one is interesting because it's a lot less shrink-wrapped and has lips covering the teeth. Overall, it looks great on the shelf; I like the inquisitive posture and bright eyes. Also, for the moment, mine stands without its tail on the ground, which is pretty remarkable.

Jose S.M.

Lovely figures. Can't wait to get them. The issue with the Dilo standing without tail support reminds me of my Safari Coelophysis which stands with it's tail off the ground too, it has been like that for a year or more probably, since I noticed about a year ago.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: