News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Forum changes

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 02:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

docronnie

Thanks Dr. Adam. Will review the forum rules again. 😇
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

DinoToyForum

Please note that I've added a clause to forum Rule 2 with reference to spam: "...restrict unsolicited self-promotional content to the Classifieds section".

sauroid

i thought i was the only one who noticed certain folks who never fail to promote their businesses every opportunity they get even in non-ad threads.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Sim

Recently, I've noticed the forum's UK time is around 10 minutes behind.  Is it possible to fix this?

postsaurischian

Besides stopping posting, is there any chance to stay a "Triassic survivor"?
I'd  priorize it over being a "Jurassic survivor".
In my understanding the chronology is the wrong way round ;D .

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on January 18, 2018, 06:57:06 PM
Recently, I've noticed the forum's UK time is around 10 minutes behind.  Is it possible to fix this?

I can't explain that. Seems to be correct now, right?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 05, 2018, 12:44:53 PM
Besides stopping posting, is there any chance to stay a "Triassic survivor"?
I'd  priorize it over being a "Jurassic survivor".
In my understanding the chronology is the wrong way round ;D .

Sorry, as you march forward through time, you have to leave the past behind you. :P

The 'correct' chronology depends on your point of view. In my vision (i.e. the correct vision ;)), each member, or DTF species as I like to think of it, joins the forum at the beginning of time. Their success as a species, as measured in number of posts, ensures their survival over time, dodging mass extinction events as they go. A "Triassic survivor", therefore, is actually firmly in the Jurassic Period, and should be feeling quite smug about having just avoided decimation at the hands of the Triassic-Jurassic extinction event.

Some members might prefer to think of themselves as humans travelling backwards in time from the present, but that makes less sense to me!

Reptilia

Good point of view Dr Admin, put that way makes much more sense.

Ravonium

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 05, 2018, 01:16:03 PM

Yep, appears to be correct now  :)

Sim

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 05, 2018, 01:16:03 PM

Since making that post in January, I've noticed the time become more accurate... and then more inaccurate again.  Now it seems to be correct, even though when I checked it a few days ago it wasn't!

DinoToyForum

I'm testing out a mentions feature, whereby prefixing a username with "@" notifies the member. Let me know what you think of this. Testing it on... avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon avatar_Patrx @Patrx

Mention notifications should appear in your profile menu, and you can choose to receive mention email notifications or not there. Each mention will time out after seven days.

Takama

OK   Somthing is changing before my eyes.   I Cant find the link to the Blog any more :( :-\

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Takama on May 12, 2018, 05:50:10 PM
OK   Somthing is changing before my eyes.   I Cant find the link to the Blog any more :( :-\

I'm playing around with the menu settings...don't worry avatar_Takama @Takama

Takama

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 12, 2018, 05:53:57 PM

I'm playing around with the menu settings...don't worry avatar_Takama @Takama

Ah that Explains it  :).   

Ravonium

It appears the calendar is also linked now (at least that means more people can now know that my birthday is tomorrow ;) )

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 12, 2018, 05:40:21 PM
I'm testing out a mentions feature, whereby prefixing a username with "@" notifies the member. Let me know what you think of this. Testing it on... Blade-of-the-Moon, Patrx

Mention notifications should appear in your profile menu, and you can choose to receive mention email notifications or not there. Each mention will time out after seven days.

It's an interesting idea, and it certainly allows for a more personalised selection of replies. On the other hand, doesn't this new feature basically render the quote button useless? (for forum posts, not content from beyond the forum).

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Ravonium on May 12, 2018, 06:03:40 PM

It appears the calendar is also linked now (at least that means more people can now know that my birthday is tomorrow ;) )

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 12, 2018, 05:40:21 PM
I'm testing out a mentions feature, whereby prefixing a username with "@" notifies the member. Let me know what you think of this. Testing it on... Blade-of-the-Moon, Patrx

It's an interesting idea, and it certainly allows for a more personalised selection of replies. On the other hand, doesn't this new feature basically render the quote button useless? (for forum posts, not content from beyond the forum).

Well, there's a little overlap, but the quote function allows the members, and other readers, to follow the flow of conversation, while the mention function is there to flag a post to a member (who may or, more likely may not, be in the conversation).

Sim

I hadn't seen the calendar before, is it a new addition?

I was curious to see if it showed any member I've interacted with has their birthday on the same day as me or very close to it.  I see Brontozaurus's birthday is on the same day as mine, and how close the birthdays of Jose_S.M. and Patrx are to mine not just in date but also with regards to age. :)

Patrx

The mentions feature seems to be working correctly! I agree that it and the quote feature are distinct enough to coexist; a quote is primarily there to respond to specific text, not just to make sure that the person to whom we're responding sees the reply.

Quote from: Sim on May 12, 2018, 08:12:16 PM
I see Brontozaurus's birthday is on the same day as mine, and how close the birthdays of Jose_S.M. and Patrx are to mine not just in date but also with regards to age. :)

Oh, hey, neat! I've never seen the calendar before, either.

DinoToyForum

The reason the menu has changed is because I uninstalled a modification that allowed me to customise the menu (I had removed some menu items, e.g.calendar, and added others). So, this is what the default menu looks like. Anyway, now, typically, I'm facing technical problems trying to reinstall the modification. So, we'll have to put up with minimalist menu for now...

Ravonium

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 12, 2018, 08:21:20 PM
The reason the menu has changed is because I uninstalled a modification that allowed me to customise the menu (I had removed some menu items, e.g.calendar, and added others).

avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum Just a quick question, is there any particular reason why you had to uninstall that modification? (Is my mention working?)

Quote from: Sim on May 12, 2018, 08:12:16 PM
I hadn't seen the calendar before, is it a new addition?

No, I believe it's been there since this forum started.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: