News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Our requests for Papo 2016-First round

Started by Concavenator, July 15, 2014, 07:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragon53

TYRANTQUEEN:

Thanks. I was afraid of that. Hopefully, in 2015 Papo will release some dinosaurs with more mass than those in 2014.

Filipo

I would like to see another flying dinosaur like the Quetzalcoatlus. Or Gallimimus instead.

DinoG

Something massive like Argentinosaurus and Carcharadontosaurus
Run!

Filipo

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Filipo on October 07, 2014, 05:45:47 PM
Massive: Amphicoelias fragillimus.
There may have been bigger sauropods than that, still >:D And it's hard to say for sure, because the remains were lost and we only had a single vertebra from it. But yeah, a model of an enormous sauropod would be cool (albeit expensive) :)

amanda

Too expensive. The medium sized range works better for me. Things like Ceratasaurus, which will apparently still be a 22-ish dollar toy, based on what the Dilophosaurus retails for. I actually do not see Papo branching out with further large sauropods. Maybe a Giganotosaurus or something similar.

John

Quote from: amanda on October 07, 2014, 09:09:42 PM
Too expensive. The medium sized range works better for me. Things like Ceratasaurus, which will apparently still be a 22-ish dollar toy, based on what the Dilophosaurus retails for. I actually do not see Papo branching out with further large sauropods. Maybe a Giganotosaurus or something similar.
A Ceratosaurs would be interesting to see. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

John

Quote from: Concavenator on July 15, 2014, 08:53:43 PM
I just want a Giganotosaurus.Ceratosaurus would be cool,but Giganotosaurus...whoah that'd be something awesome!!!
Why not be greedy and have both;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

DinoG

One thing for sure 2014 was the year of Collecta...Papo will have to raise the bar if they want to get back on top!!! Great expectations, let's hope not to be disappointed...
Run!

Simon

There are plenty of well-known giant sauropods other than the mythical Amphicoelias (and footprints indicate the existence of specimens even larger than what has been found as bones, of many species of dinosaur) but the cost of making such a huge figure in scale with the rest of the series and recouping that cost make it unlikely we will ever see one put out by Papo or anybody for that matter, as a toy figure.

The Japanese "solve" that problem by downsizing the sauropods (ie 1/80 scale vs 1/50 for the rest of the Kinto Favorite collection as one example).  That of course is thoroughly unsatisfying to those of us who must have the entire collection in the same scale.

Simon

Quote from: DinoG on October 07, 2014, 09:23:18 PM
One thing for sure 2014 was the year of Collecta...Papo will have to raise the bar if they want to get back on top!!! Great expectations, let's hope not to be disappointed...

Do not be surprised to see Collecta "up the ante" further in 2015.  Just a feeling based on how they operate and Mr. Beeson's commitment to improving the line's accuracy. 5 years ago when it seemed like a joke I as much as predicted that one day, given their modus operandi, Collecta would be at the top in the not too distant future (maybe it was just a sheer cry of hope in the face of the downward path that Carnegie was taking), and - darned if they aren't just about there already ....

amanda

They have not surpassed - or even reached - Papo's level of detail just yet though.

Simon

Quote from: amanda on October 07, 2014, 09:38:00 PM
They have not surpassed - or even reached - Papo's level of detail just yet though.

Yes, but Papo I do not consider in the same class as the main dino figure companies.  Their figures are superbly sculpted and designed toys, with fantastic detail but not the same level of anatomical accuracy.  That's not what they strive for;  its secondary.  With Collecta and Battat (and Safari to a degree) accuracy is #1.  [

Concavenator

Perhaps not the detail...but they have so much imagination,they aren't afraid of feathering their theropods,they pick unusual species...

Patrx

Indeed, Papo doesn't really make dinosaurs - they make magnificently detailed fantasy monsters and Jurassic Park characters. Sometimes, they approach accuracy, but I don't think it's because they're aiming for it. I think it's because, in those cases, they happened to choose fairly accurate source material, i.e. Sideshow.

amanda

And yet I own no CollectA, but several Papo. Not necessarily by design, it just pans out that way.

DinoG

One thing Papo is still on top is the dynamics, their figures always look up to something pretty much alive...
Run!

amanda

Earlier this year I would have agreed, but since picking up the Battat Terra Pachyrhinosaurus, most dynamic I think goes to it. :)

DinoLord

I hope Papo does more JP copies. Their figures beat any official franchise merchandise (excluding the Horizon kits of course).

Patrx

Quote from: DinoLord on October 08, 2014, 01:31:30 AM
I hope Papo does more JP copies. Their figures beat any official franchise merchandise (excluding the Horizon kits of course).

Me, too. I was really hoping their Dilophosaurus would be Jurassic Park-styled, the existing toys just don't display well enough for me.

Quote from: amanda on October 08, 2014, 01:26:30 AM
Earlier this year I would have agreed, but since picking up the Battat Terra Pachyrhinosaurus, most dynamic I think goes to it. :)

It's definitely dynamic! One of the coolest details is the area around the nostrils, all flared out. You can almost hear the creature bellowing or something.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: