You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daspletotyrannus

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on October 19, 2016, 07:41:52 AM
It's been a while now... Any news?

I asked them last week and they gave the same answer.  But the odd thing was in the email they only called it Terra Dinosaurs not Dan Larusso collection.  I also feel that this line is done no more dinosaurs(and that sucks). I think Jurassic World dinosaur boom ran out. So maybe if anything they might release the rest when Jurassic World 2 comes out. If not then I think we all know the sad answer. And I really wanted the Ouranosaurus, Triceratops, and Maiasaura the most. But at least I finally got to own a Battat Tyrannosaurus.  I also wonder if the Gallimimus and Utahraptor got a repaint before Dan passing.

suspsy

Dan wanted to retool the Gallimimus and the Utahraptor with plumage, but he didn't get around to it.

The Battat situation really depresses me, perhaps more than it should. It's not like there aren't plenty of high quality dinosaur toys widely available right now. PNSO has exploded onto the scene, Safari has the best assortment yet for 2017, and we haven't even seen what CollectA and Papo have in store for us. And yet there can be no denying that those repaints look gorgeous. Not to mention the five 2015 toys that also have never been released.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Pachyrhinosaurus

Not good news... Are the current figures still in production?
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I still see them when I walk through Target, hoping against hope to see a surprise release of new figures. So anybody who still needs the figures that are already out is at least in luck.

Jose S.M.

I think I'm giving up on hope for the unreleased re issues. It's a shame as there where great figures. I think safari will make Maiasaura in the future, hopefully other species too.

Sim

Dan LoRusso didn't retool the Gallimimus and Utahraptor because Battat told him not to, as he mentioned in Reply #565 here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2529.msg107048#msg107048  I don't know if Dan did repaint those two after that though, as he never said anything about it.  Earlier he said he was holding off on repainting those two until he heard from Battat if he would be feathering them or not, in Reply #622 here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2494.msg74578#msg74578

Gwangi

There are only two lines of models where I consider myself a completest, Invicta and Battat. Having only a few of the original BMoS line I had hoped I could complete the collection with their Terra counterparts. So with that said, it truly saddens me to think that the line may already be over. On the bright side, we did get some great re-issues, and some new sculpts by LoRusso, none of which any of us expected to get only a few years ago. I still hold out hope that Battat will release the rest. They have the molds, they have the re-paints, they have new sculpts. Hopefully there are only some legal issues or something that are getting in the way of releasing more models faster.

suspsy

Hate to say it, but there is also the grim possibility that the Terra series simply wasn't selling enough for Battat to want to continue it.

Gwangi

Quote from: suspsy on October 20, 2016, 03:54:34 AM
Hate to say it, but there is also the grim possibility that the Terra series simply wasn't selling enough for Battat to want to continue it.

This is also true, I notice a lot less shelf space dedicated to Terra at my local Target. The Terra line might be over, and it might have nothing to do with Dan's passing.

Flaffy

Well the problem is they haven't been releasing new models (and repaints) fast enough. Even the terra t-rex got a V.2 and yet the rest of line still hasn't surfaced. Of course the line wasn't selling well at the end, who wants to buy 5 of the same figure?
Then Safari, CollectA, Papo and Schleich released their figures. And PNSO exploded onto the scene.
Battat Terra was out competed, and they still haven't changed their ways till this day. Releasing already released figures over and over again.

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on October 19, 2016, 03:08:42 PM
I still see them when I walk through Target, hoping against hope to see a surprise release of new figures. So anybody who still needs the figures that are already out is at least in luck.

Same here. I'm in the toy section every time since I collect other toy lines, and I always glance to see if anything new is on the shelf. I just realized that today I didn't even bother to look though. There's been nothing new to see in ages.

Daspletodave

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on October 20, 2016, 06:05:47 AM
Well the problem is they haven't been releasing new models (and repaints) fast enough. Even the terra t-rex got a V.2 and yet the rest of line still hasn't surfaced. Of course the line wasn't selling well at the end, who wants to buy 5 of the same figure?
Then Safari, CollectA, Papo and Schleich released their figures. And PNSO exploded onto the scene.
Battat Terra was out competed, and they still haven't changed their ways till this day. Releasing already released figures over and over again.
I have to disagree with you. For starters, Collecta and PNSO are not even distributed in North America. So they would not impact Battat Terra sales at Target stores. Even if PNSO dinos were available in brick and mortar stores the average parent would not spent $70 for one dinosaur toy for their child when they could buy a whole bunch of different Terra dinos for less money. The real issue is sales. The retail business is tough, and products compete for space on store shelves. When one product fails to meet expectations it gets replaced by something else. But that something else doesn't mean that Battat Terra dinosaurs will get replaced by Safari dinosaurs at Target. It could be Transformers or Power Rangers or something else.
Of course all of this is just idle speculation. When there is no news people just make up their own. For all we know 10 new Battats could be on the way in time for Christmas! Or Target could give the whole Terra experiment the boot! But that would then enable the Battat company to look for other distribution deals for their toys. 

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Daspletodave on October 20, 2016, 11:23:15 PM
Of course all of this is just idle speculation. When there is no news people just make up their own. For all we know 10 new Battats could be on the way in time for Christmas! Or Target could give the whole Terra experiment the boot! But that would then enable the Battat company to look for other distribution deals for their toys.

You know, that's a good point. We haven't really considered the possibility yet that maybe all this is Target's fault; I mean, the figures are typically stocked on the back ends off the shelves at the furthest possible point from most foot traffic. They don't seem particularly enthused about the products, so it would make sense if they were the ones letting the whole thing fall by the wayside.

suspsy

End caps are generally considered prime retail spots, although it's certainly true that the end facing a main aisle is superior to the one that's not.

It's a shame Battat can't or won't be more open about what's going on.

Daspletotyrannus

Didn't someone said long time ago that they where trying to get more shelf space?  I kinda remember reading that somewhere. Or I'm crazy and made it up. Lol

CityRaptor

Well, apparently they can be found in TK MAXX stores in Europe.
http://dinodan.proboards.com/post/209201
Sadly so far I'm unlucky. I found normal Chinasaurs, Megasaurs, Pixarsaurs and some Hasbrosaurs.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Sim

Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on October 21, 2016, 10:49:03 PM
Didn't someone said long time ago that they where trying to get more shelf space?  I kinda remember reading that somewhere. Or I'm crazy and made it up. Lol

Dan LoRusso said that in Reply #857: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2529.msg110599#msg110599

FlawedCoil82

If these dinosaurs disappear from Target, is it at all possible that Battat would somehow sell them directly through their website?

Simon

Quote from: FlawedCoil82 on October 22, 2016, 01:30:52 AM
If these dinosaurs disappear from Target, is it at all possible that Battat would somehow sell them directly through their website?

The problem is that Battat has never shown much of an interest in their dinosaurs ...

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: CityRaptor on October 21, 2016, 11:03:42 PM
Well, apparently they can be found in TK MAXX stores in Europe.
http://dinodan.proboards.com/post/209201
Sadly so far I'm unlucky. I found normal Chinasaurs, Megasaurs, Pixarsaurs and some Hasbrosaurs.

I was just in a TK Maxx here in the UK and was startled to find the Cryolophosaurus and Nanshiungosaurus, had no idea they were out there in real-life shops here, so it was a pleasant surprise. I only bought the latter of the two, but will certainly be keeping my eyes out, because £4.99 a piece is pretty bloomin hard to resist.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: