You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albertosaurus

Can somebody link here the ones that were never released? I think that I only know about the Nasuto.

suspsy

Quote from: Albertosaurus on December 22, 2017, 01:23:01 PM
Can somebody link here the ones that were never released? I think that I only know about the Nasuto.

Here:

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2742.0

The Plateosaurus, Majungasaurus, and Yutyrannus only ever made it to the wire frame stage. I sure was looking forward to that Pentaceratops. :(

Also, the head on that Europasaurus appears way too large. I still would have bought it though!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Jose S.M.

The color scheme was a little too excentric for me, but Gastonia looks so nice, it has very cute face in that photo. It's a shame it probably will never be released.

sauroid

is there a possibility that another company picks up the unreleased Dan LoRusso new sculpts as well as the rest of the un-reissued original Battats? is it in the hands of the LoRusso family regarding the decision to let another company produce them or does Terra own the rights and just wont let anyone else continue the line?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Albertosaurus

The nasuto looks like a Greg Wenzel sculpt. The rest are quite meh to me. The europasaurus head is just enormous, and the color schemes....well I don´t care much about that since a repainted figure will always be 10 times better!

Simon

Quote from: sauroid on December 22, 2017, 02:50:50 PM
is there a possibility that another company picks up the unreleased Dan LoRusso new sculpts as well as the rest of the un-reissued original Battats? is it in the hands of the LoRusso family regarding the decision to let another company produce them or does Terra own the rights and just wont let anyone else continue the line?

I'll answer these.

#1 - Battat owns ALL the rights to the figures;

#2 - If they didn't sell the rights to the figures when they first stopped making them - they ain't gonna do it now.

Remember - Battat is a pretty well-established toy company.  The dinosaurs were (and are) a tiny part of their toy line that they never seemed to care that much about.  But they're not going anywhere, and they seem to like to hold on to their property...

stegosauria

But what is the meaning of the rights when you don't do anything with them just sit on them? They won't create any profit for them this way and just hinder those who actually could and wanna do something with them. And then why the company asked Dan to repaint the old models and create new ones if they didn't wanna make them available?

The creation of the original line was this difficult too or just the new one?

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Albertosaurus on December 22, 2017, 03:10:04 PM
The nasuto looks like a Greg Wenzel sculpt. The rest are quite meh to me. The europasaurus head is just enormous, and the color schemes....well I don´t care much about that since a repainted figure will always be 10 times better!

Dan always said he was never able to photograph the Europasaurus quite right to convey its true appearance. He claimed more than once it didn't look quite so huge in person.

microraptorgui

I did notice that my local Target suddenly had a TON more Battat dinosaurs for Christmas this year.  Previously, there had been only three or four boxes left, but for Christmas they filled the top shelf with them.  Maybe there's still hope?
I sell original dinosaur art on canvas, shirts, dresses, stickers, phone covers, and a whole bunch of other stuff!
Check it out at www.redbubble.com/people/microraptorgui/shop!

Minmiminime

They've...been a bit more active on Instagram recently, but they've posted no dinosaur pictures, just their mammals, and these look very poor in terms of detail and accuracy in comparison to other brands, as though they're aimed at very young children. I'm a little concerned that this indicates they have no intention of pursuing the dinosaur line :-\ But maybe, if Christmas sales were decent, there may be some hope...
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Halichoeres

Over the holidays I moved from Chicago, where the three closest Target stores had completely stopped stocking the Battat dinosaurs, to upstate New York, where the closest Target has plenty. Seems to be some regional variation.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 06, 2018, 11:43:22 PM
Over the holidays I moved from Chicago, where the three closest Target stores had completely stopped stocking the Battat dinosaurs, to upstate New York, where the closest Target has plenty. Seems to be some regional variation.

Where in NY did you end up? Just out of curiosity. That's where I'm from but now I'm in Maryland.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gwangi on January 07, 2018, 04:21:31 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on January 06, 2018, 11:43:22 PM

Where in NY did you end up? Just out of curiosity. That's where I'm from but now I'm in Maryland.

I'm in Albany. Not bad so far. More snow than Chicago but not quite as cold.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Gwangi

NY winters were one reason I left the state, otherwise I loved it. Also, I wanted to be closer to the coast. Of course when I moved to Maryland I was told by the realtor that they average about 6" of snow per YEAR. Been here a month and have already dealt with two snow storms. But everyone is dealing with snow right now, even Florida.

docronnie

What models have been appearing on the shelves, btw?

Thanks in advance! 😇
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gwangi on January 08, 2018, 01:51:23 AM
NY winters were one reason I left the state, otherwise I loved it. Also, I wanted to be closer to the coast. Of course when I moved to Maryland I was told by the realtor that they average about 6" of snow per YEAR. Been here a month and have already dealt with two snow storms. But everyone is dealing with snow right now, even Florida.

Yeah, this has been a weird winter all over. I don't mind winter; I'm a desert rat so snow is still a novelty for me. I might find it more annoying if I had a car and a kid, though.

Quote from: docronnie on January 08, 2018, 02:09:40 AM
What models have been appearing on the shelves, btw?

Thanks in advance! 😇

I've been seeing everything except the Nanshiungosaurus and Cryolophosaurus.

FlawedCoil82

Well I finally decided to experience another exercise in futility by contacting Battat to ask if these dinosaurs are dead. Moreorless, the response said "we have no new information about any further releases".  >:( I just don't get it?! Why is it so difficult to get a definitive answer from this company? How do I skip the clueless minions and talk to the head honcho of Battat to ask? Were these figures produced in someone's garage and they moved and now Battat can no longer produce them? If not, why can they not say "Yes, the line is 100% dead"? CLEARLY, Battat has not even the slightest clue about how desired their models are. I am dumbfounded.

When I made the decision to start collecting these Terra figures, I was absolutely 100% confident that ALL of them would be released without any risk of the line being left incomplete (short of a nuclear apocalypse) as I had no reason to doubt Battat's awareness of how "in demand" their models are. If I would have had the slightest hint that their prized Triceratops and Styracosaurus would be locked away in the most secure vault at Fort Knox, I never would have bothered collecting all of their other figures. Now, the originals will inevitably be even harder/more expensive to track down. I understand that the tragic passing of Dan was unexpected, but I would think that the company would be even more motivated to get his repaints out there so he didn't do all of that hard work totally in vain.

Shonisaurus

It is a tragedy that a company in the Battat entity has stopped producing dinosaur figures, in this case double tragedy for the death of Dan surely with the live we would have a competitive dinosaur company that would be on equal terms to the rest of companies current we admire so much.  :(

First of all I feel the death of Dan LoRusso who was a member of the forum (although I did not know him when I started in this forum or at least I did not know how big was the company of Battat dinosaurs before the tragic event), people like he should never leave.  :(

What should clarify the Battat Terra company if it is going to market the discontinued figures and those projected by that sadly deceased paleoartist, as FlawedCoil82 points out.

Lanthanotus

Well, I guess for the company all that counts is, does it count up? From the very subjective collector's view those figures were great and are high in demand, but did they really sell that well or do their repaints? Noone can be sure, as only Battat could give an answer to that. If they sold and sell well, the others will follow sooner or later with a high probability I guess... but if they didn't and/or don't? I frequently search for Battat models on ebay (as I am pretty sure do a lot of our community here), but there are rarely any of them for sale. If I compare that to, let's say Schleich's in Germany ( a country with a way smaller population than the US) I can find almost any figure at any given time, no matter if it's discontinued for 5 years or twenty. This however may also be a very subjective view, but it leads me to the suggestion, that all the sold Battats are either locked away or that there aren't so many out there....?

PhilSauria

This must be one of the more frustrating aspects that we deal with as collectors of these models (First World problem?) - the elusive Battats. Be it the price of the enormous Diplodocus that, as someone once said (and this always cracks me up!); "I've bought cars for less than that amount", or the non-Terra figures that are extremely elusive. That Triceratops is a holy grail for me (and I'm not alone here I'm sure!). Seems that the line is not a high priority within the company to the point where no one can give a definitive yes or no answer to their fate. Annoying.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: