You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loru1588

This question has been raised in numerous fields of art & modeling over the years About 15 years or more ago there was the question on whether aircraft companies could sue model companies over making replicas of there product. Then it came down to whether or not a particular paint scheme on a car, train,  aircraft whatever was copyright protected. If you did a 2 dimensional painting and I copied it as a 2 dimensional painting and sold it I would be in violation of copyright. The fact that I used someones painting as inspiration on a 3 dimensional model is NOT infringing copyright. In fact I would be happy to mention anyones 2D work I used as inspiration in the hopes that someone might be interested in purchasing THEIR work because they saw my to. My $5.00 toy is NOT causing anyone of the artists I gathered ideas from to lose money.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: loru1588 on February 15, 2015, 12:04:07 AM
This question has been raised in numerous fields of art 7 modeling over the years About 15 years or more ago there was the question on whether aircraft companies could sue model companies over making replicas of there product. Then it came down to whether or not a particular paint scheme on a car, train,  aircraft whatever was copyright protected. If you did a 2 dimensional painting and I copied it as a 2 dimensional painting and sold it I would be in violation of copyright. The fact that I used someones painting as inspiration on a 3 dimensional model is NOT infringing copyright. In fact I would be happy to mention anyones 2D work I used as inspiration in the hopes that someone might be interested in purchasing THEIR work because they saw my to. My $5.00 toy is NOT causing anyone of the artists I gathered ideas from to lose money.

The toy itself is $5 each but how much was the commission Battat paid you to come up with the new paint scheme? If they wanted a design created by somebody else that job could have gone to them, which indirectly effects the money making opportunities for that artist.

Again, not that this is something as egregious as directly ripping off a whole piece, but being hired to produce a design and then turning in somebody else's design is a little questionable. I'd feel better knowing how CM Studios / Charlie McGrady is cool with this.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Georassic

Dan, they're gorgeous. The only original BMOS I've seen in person or own is Stego, but comparing photos to the originals, I think you outdid yourself.
To your health...
geo

loru1588

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on February 15, 2015, 12:14:28 AM
Quote from: loru1588 on February 15, 2015, 12:04:07 AM
This question has been raised in numerous fields of art 7 modeling over the years About 15 years or more ago there was the question on whether aircraft companies could sue model companies over making replicas of there product. Then it came down to whether or not a particular paint scheme on a car, train,  aircraft whatever was copyright protected. If you did a 2 dimensional painting and I copied it as a 2 dimensional painting and sold it I would be in violation of copyright. The fact that I used someones painting as inspiration on a 3 dimensional model is NOT infringing copyright. In fact I would be happy to mention anyones 2D work I used as inspiration in the hopes that someone might be interested in purchasing THEIR work because they saw my to. My $5.00 toy is NOT causing anyone of the artists I gathered ideas from to lose money.

The toy itself is $5 each but how much was the commission Battat paid you to come up with the new paint scheme? If they wanted a design created by somebody else that job could have gone to them, which indirectly effects the money making opportunities for that artist.

Again, not that this is something as egregious as directly ripping off a whole piece, but being hired to produce a design and then turning in somebody else's design is a little questionable. I'd feel better knowing how CM Studios / Charlie McGrady is cool with this.

I don't get ANY commission on repainting these. It was a one shot deal. Did you piss & moan like this when you saw the other examples I mentioned or are you just crawling up my butt?

loru1588

Quote from: Georassic on February 15, 2015, 12:19:43 AM
Dan, they're gorgeous. The only original BMOS I've seen in person or own is Stego, but comparing photos to the originals, I think you outdid yourself.
To your health...
geo

Thank you!!

Sim

Thanks for the photos Dan and Blade-of-the-Moon!  I'm impressed by the reissues!  My first impression is the Acrocanthosaurus, Amargasaurus, Edmontonia, Ouranosaurus, Pachycephalosaurus and Triceratops are stunning!  Having become so familiar with the Battat dinosaurs, it feels almost like a dream seeing them with new colours.  I've spent some time taking the new appearance of these figures in.  It's disappointing the Stegosaurus still has 8 tail spikes.  I hope an updated, more accurate Battat Stegosaurus will come at some point.  Although there's something I'm wondering.  Dan, are the figures in the photos mass produced toy versions of the reissues?  Or are they the originals you painted?

Arul

Do diplo battat have a claw/nail in the front feet ? Or its just not painted ?

loru1588

Quote from: Sim on February 15, 2015, 01:02:07 AM
Thanks for the photos Dan and Blade-of-the-Moon!  I'm impressed by the reissues!  My first impression is the Acrocanthosaurus, Amargasaurus, Edmontonia, Ouranosaurus, Pachycephalosaurus and Triceratops are stunning!  Having become so familiar with the Battat dinosaurs, it feels almost like a dream seeing them with new colours.  I've spent some time taking the new appearance of these figures in.  It's disappointing the Stegosaurus still has 8 tail spikes.  I hope an updated, more accurate Battat Stegosaurus will come at some point.  Although there's something I'm wondering.  Dan, are the figures in the photos mass produced toy versions of the reissues?  Or are they the originals you painted?

Thanks! The repaints are the old series toys Battat sent me to repaint. We are still talking about correcting/improving the masters for the re-released series. The Stegosaurus is 1st on the list 4 spikes and a couple of more plates. ( I may enlarge the plates a bit also if that's they way Battat decides to go). As far as I know these are not in production yet due to the revamping of some of the masters. I also want to feather Utahraptor & Gallimimus.

loru1588

Quote from: ARUL on February 15, 2015, 01:06:38 AM

The claw is there. Doesn't show up well on the pic.

John

Nice new color schemes,Dan!I'm happy to see that it will be the third version of Tyrannosaurus rex that will turn up in this new release. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

loru1588

Quote from: John on February 15, 2015, 01:17:44 AM
Nice new color schemes,Dan!I'm happy to see that it will be the third version of Tyrannosaurus rex that will turn up in this new release. ;D

It's a repaint of the last issued Tyrannosaurus. But, I may have something up my sleeve!!

John

Quote from: loru1588 on February 15, 2015, 01:20:30 AM

It's a repaint of the last issued Tyrannosaurus. But, I may have something up my sleeve!!
That will be interesting to see... ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Sim

Edited on 22/2/2016 to add links to the pages the photos come from, since Google images was showing the photos as coming from this post rather than from the websites the photos come from.

Quote from: loru1588 on February 15, 2015, 01:07:45 AM
Quote from: Sim on February 15, 2015, 01:02:07 AM

Thanks! The repaints are the old series toys Battat sent me to repaint. We are still talking about correcting/improving the masters for the re-released series. The Stegosaurus is 1st on the list 4 spikes and a couple of more plates. ( I may enlarge the plates a bit also if that's they way Battat decides to go). As far as I know these are not in production yet due to the revamping of some of the masters. I also want to feather Utahraptor & Gallimimus.

Thanks for the reply Dan!  Hehe, I thought they might be the old series toys repainted by you, I noticed the barely visible writing on the belly of some.  I also noticed the fingers that didn't have a claw on real Ceratosaurus and Triceratops don't have a claw painted on in the reissue versions.  That was nice to see!  I noticed it on the Styracosaurus reissue as well, although the original Battat Styraco had it right too.

I'm really happy to hear there's still a chance the reissues that need it will be improved.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the reissued Utahraptor and Gallimimus!  I've always found the Battat Utahraptor had a very good colour scheme.  I hope the reissued one will look just as good, if not better!  Thanks for everything you've done and are doing for the reissues! :)

There's something I'd like to ask about the Battat Euoplocephalus. I've noticed something about it in photos of it.

This one from your website isn't a toy, but a resin version right?  After the biggest spike on the side of its neck, there's 1 smaller spike, then 4 spikes on its left arm.

In all photos of the Battat Euoplocephalus toy I've seen it has has that spike arrangement on its right side, but on its left arm, the arm seen in the photo above, it only has 3 spikes - it seems to have 1 less than it should.

Here's the toys left side, only 3 spikes on its arm.  I'm not sure if the spike that's meant to be on its elbow is there but just not painted.

This is the toy's right side, it has 4 spikes on its arm.  These photos are from Ikessauro's website.

I've come across several Carnegie Ankylosaurus where the neck plates were only painted on one side, and Carnegie Cryolophosaurus which only had a blue stripe on one side of the neck, so I thought I'd ask about what the case is here in case there's a mistake that can be avoided for the reissued Battat Euoplocephalus.

I'm going to look at the reissue versions once more before I go to bed, it's past 2am over here!

Ikessauro

Quote from: Sim on February 15, 2015, 02:14:10 AM
There's something I'd like to ask about the Battat Euoplocephalus. I've noticed something about it in photos of it.

This one from your website isn't a toy, but a resin version right?  After the biggest spike on the side of its neck, there's 1 smaller spike, then 4 spikes on its left arm.

In all photos of the Battat Euoplocephalus toy I've seen it has has that spike arrangement on its right side, but on its left arm, the arm seen in the photo above, it only has 3 spikes - it seems to have 1 less than it should.

Here's the toys left side, only 3 spikes on its arm.  I'm not sure if the spike that's meant to be on its elbow is there but just not painted.

This is the toy's right side, it has 4 spikes on its arm.

I'm going to look at the reissue versions once more before I go to bed, it's past 2am over here!

Hi Sim, I see my pictures are being of good use here, I'm happy about that. Since this is my model, I guess I can help. Looking closelly at the elbow I can see a faint knob/spike there, barely visible. I guess they forgot to paint it. I guess the moulding process made it too faint and painters didn't see it really well to paint;

loru1588

Sim, things like that are one of the reasons Battat is looking to do completely new master molds for the re-released series. A lot of detail was lost over the years (few that they were) of producing the toys.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on February 14, 2015, 11:46:41 PM
Quote from: loru1588 on February 14, 2015, 11:37:06 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on February 14, 2015, 11:03:54 PM
Quote from: loru1588 on February 14, 2015, 10:15:29 PM
There really shouldn't be any controversy it would be hypocritical in most caese. Wild Safari  and Shliech "Borrowed" my Diplodocus paint scheme on their Apatosaurus, 2011 Carnegie Carnotaurus sceme is similar to CM studios Styracosaurus scheme, my new version of Carnotaurus scheme is taken from a painting, not old Wild Safari toy, Schliech Therazinosaur is directly off a painting, and there are others that are reflective of the Kaiyodo mini Dinotales series. I could go on.

I wonder how many painters have been inspired over the years by some of your original patterns from the first release. As long as they aren't doing knock offs I don't mind people being inspired by one of my paint jobs. I once saw a painting in Prehistoric Times magazine where someone copied the life sized Pteranodon that I did for the museum of nature right down to the colour pattern. In that case I was flattered. Now if someone took one of my 1:12 scale casts of those Pteranodons and started doing knock offs that would be a different story. We all get inspired, some times it is overt some times it is subconscious.
Again great job Dan

Exactly Doug!! As long as they aren't making money off of YOUR ( our ) hard work I don't a problem with it!

(And I don't know why on earth Sideshow hasn't sued Papo into the ground yet for blatant intellectual property theft).

I think Sideshow stated that they were flattered by Papo's imitation of their product(s). This was in response to the Styracosaurus...or was it Carnotaurus...I believe.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: John on February 15, 2015, 01:23:01 AM
Quote from: loru1588 on February 15, 2015, 01:20:30 AM

That will be interesting to see... ;D

I don't have the third version of the Rex aka Chad..lol so I will be getting one. The one I do have though and really like is the V2 , though the V1 would be great too since it's essentially the same sculpt.  It poses really well with it's foot on the old Carnegie Trike like it just killed it. ;)

Meso-Cenozoic

O-M-G!!! :o

These pics have just made it all REAL for me! Although I was lucky enough to get the whole full-size set just before they closed down, I thought this wonderful line would never see the light of day again. And being such a great and historic line, they really needed to still be out there. So, I'm ecstatic! LOL!! And with these new paint jobs and possible updated sculpts, I can't see how I couldn't have these in my collection as well. Thank you so much, Dan, for pursuing and realizing this dream so many of us have had since they first left us. And thanks, Chris, for taking the time and uploading all these for us.

This might have been stated elsewhere before, but are these still aiming for a 2015 release? (I'm practically salivating as I wrote that. LOL!) If it's one of the figures that would be made available first, I already know which one I would be getting first... Diplodocus! And its new paint job is gorgeous. The only thing I might do is give it a very light dark-brown wash to bring out its amazing skin details even more. You know, as a marketing strategy, I think the Diplo should be in the first release. Besides its obviously eye-catching presence it would have on a shelf, no other dino toy line has something like this out there! Period. ;D

Arul

Quote from: loru1588 on February 15, 2015, 01:10:00 AM
Quote from: ARUL on February 15, 2015, 01:06:38 AM

The claw is there. Doesn't show up well on the pic.

Cool :D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Washes really help bring out the detail but you rarely see figures that get the treatment..Papo is one..I can't really think of another.

No problem bud, Dan did all the work I assure you! lol

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: