News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Unofficial poll question about new Terra Series from Battat

Started by loru1588, August 26, 2014, 08:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grantharding

I'll support the suggestions for Spinosaurus, and especially Iguanodon.

Takama

Quote from: Simon on August 26, 2014, 09:36:51 PM
Austroraptor cabazai  - 16.5 feet long, the lithe Argentine Super-raptor:

Yes another Dromeaosaur would be great and it appears this one is big enough to fit into 1:40 scale

Gryphoceratops

I have three.

Dryptosaurus (roughly 20 feet)- This dinosaur has been known for so long and NOBODY ever made a model of it.  It more than deserves a model.

Hadrosaurus foulkii (roughly 20 feet) - Same reasons as Dryptosaurus.  There was one model made way back based on a Charles Knight painting I think.  That's it.

Nasutoceratops- One of the most unique ceratopids I'm actually surprised nobody else has done one yet.

JakobVicent

I think figures should be made of these dinos:

Utahceratops
xenoceratops
Medusacertatops
Rubeosaurus
Protoceratops Hellenikorhinus
Velafrons
Prosaurolophus
indosuchus

Takama

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on August 29, 2014, 05:25:14 AM
I have three.

Dryptosaurus (roughly 20 feet)- This dinosaur has been known for so long and NOBODY ever made a model of it.  It more than deserves a model.

Hadrosaurus foulkii (roughly 20 feet) - Same reasons as Dryptosaurus.  There was one model made way back based on a Charles Knight painting I think.  That's it.

Nasutoceratops- One of the most unique ceratopids I'm actually surprised nobody else has done one yet.

I would not mind seeing these either.  Dan  I think you should make a Hadrosaurus, since it lends it name to a family of Dinosaurs.

Libraraptor

We really need

Ouranosaurus (mostly overlooked but a good herbivorous counterpart to Spinosaurus, underestimated and Schleich completely messed this species up)
Nodosaurus
Vulcanodon (this would be nothing less than a sensational release, no figure of it yet)
Sinraptor
Megalosaurus (because of its historical meaning and because there is no modern one out there)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Libraraptor on August 31, 2014, 08:39:46 AM
We really need

Ouranosaurus (mostly overlooked but a good herbivorous counterpart to Spinosaurus, underestimated and Schleich completely messed this species up)
Nodosaurus
Vulcanodon (this would be nothing less than a sensational release, no figure of it yet)
Sinraptor
Megalosaurus (because of its historical meaning and because there is no modern one out there)
I thought Battat already made an Ouranosaurus.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Patrx on August 26, 2014, 10:27:29 PM
Quote from: loru1588 on August 26, 2014, 08:27:52 PM
Okay everyone. This is strictly an unofficial polling question for me. Using it to try and guide me to narrow down the next batch of dinosaurs for the Terra Series. For now , bear with me, NO non dinosaurs ( ie: pelycosaurs, therapsids, pterosaurs, marine reptiles and such ) Please list 12 of your most wanted dinosaurs that would be between 5meters and say 8meters maximum in real life. This is pretty much the only guideline I have to follow. Please don't repeat dinosaurs from the former Museum of Science Boston series also as these may be retooled and sold as a separate series. So this in mind..... let the games begin!!

Spinophorosaurus (7 meters)
Austroraptor (5 meters)
Irritator (8 meters)
Plateosaurus (5-10 meters)
Natsutoceratops (5 meters)
Yutyrannus (9 meters)

Most of the dinosaurs I'm really interested in seeing are too small to be done properly in 1:40 scale  :D

I'm glad you mentioned Plateosaurus, that was going to be my one suggestion. It is very well known from multiple skeletons, there are lots of papers describing its anatomy, it is generally underrepresented in toy form, and it is just the right size for this line. It also has a distinctive unusual appearance. My vote would go for this prosauropod. As a side note, I'd prefer it beefy rather than skinny.

darth daniel

Quote from: dinotoyforum on August 31, 2014, 10:27:41 AM
I'm glad you mentioned Plateosaurus, that was going to be my one suggestion. It is very well known from multiple skeletons, there are lots of papers describing its anatomy, it is generally underrepresented in toy form, and it is just the right size for this line. It also has a distinctive unusual appearance. My vote would go for this prosauropod. As a side note, I'd prefer it beefy rather than skinny.

I´d also much appreciate a Plateosaurus, as long as it´s in a more neutral walking position (quadruped? biped?) and not another one rearing up like the Carnegie or Collecta versions. Something like the one in the background in this picture would be nice.

DinoLord

IIRC prosauropods could not pronate their hands so a bipedal posture was likely.

Patrx

Indeed, Plateosaurus was definitely a biped. Seems it certainly could have used its forelimbs for support from time to time, but not for proper locomotion. It could not pronate its forelimbs.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Patrx on August 31, 2014, 06:52:40 PM
Indeed, Plateosaurus was definitely a biped. Seems it certainly could have used its forelimbs for support from time to time, but not for proper locomotion. It could not pronate its forelimbs.

Unsure if it changes the meaning of your post at all Patrx, but just because its hand would have been either semi-supinated or fully opposed does not mean it could not walk on all fours. Consider Triceratops which also had neutral hands but was quadra-pedal . I learned this entire point the hard way while learning about my psittacosaurus. Everyone felt its hands should be opposing, however scientists also feel it could have used its hands when walking when it chose to. That is not to suggest wether Plateosaurus was bi-pedal or quadraped, however, I am not up to speed with that part. I just learned that wether the hands can pronate or not, an animal can walk on all fours.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Patrx

It's funny, when I went to look for that article on Plateosaurus, I started with its Wikipedia page, which states "The shape of the radius dictates that the hand could not be pronated ... and thus not play a role in locomotion." That did make me wonder, "wait, what about big ceratopsians?" In any case, Heinrich Mallison, the author of the article to which I eventually posted a link, seems confident that the animal was a biped, and that its forelimbs could not be pronated. How exactly those two points relate to one another is still not exactly clear to me.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Patrx on August 31, 2014, 09:22:09 PM
It's funny, when I went to look for that article on Plateosaurus, I started with its Wikipedia page, which states "The shape of the radius dictates that the hand could not be pronated ... and thus not play a role in locomotion." That did make me wonder, "wait, what about big ceratopsians?" In any case, Heinrich Mallison, the author of the article to which I eventually posted a link, seems confident that the animal was a biped, and that its forelimbs could not be pronated. How exactly those two points relate to one another is still not exactly clear to me.
Perhaps there is something in the arm structure and bone shape that would make it impossible to orient the hands palms down angled outwards as would be implied with walking on all fours. We know that triceratops and most larger ceratopsians could perform this movement , but they are much more evolved than Plateosaurus was.
  As time passes and I keep reading and learning, I have become almost sold on the idea Psittacosaurus for instance, as a juvenile was likely to spend alot of time on all fours, and the arms and hands pronated, however as it grew older and larger, I believe they became more and more bi-pedal, and less prone to using the hands for walking, and as they did so their hands became more neutral.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

DinoLord

I think one of Mallison's more relevant points is that of the hand structure itself - the fingers do not seem to be robust enough to support a locomotive purpose, instead being more suited to grasping as a bipedal animal would. Ceratopsian fingers are rather robust and compact.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: DinoLord on August 31, 2014, 09:47:33 PM
I think one of Mallison's more relevant points is that of the hand structure itself - the fingers do not seem to be robust enough to support a locomotive purpose, instead being more suited to grasping as a bipedal animal would. Ceratopsian fingers are rather robust and compact.
That does make alot more sense. The answer fits the evidence much better

amanda

Aside from what I mentioned to you in the pm about ceratopsians, I will throw a vote in for Saichania and Sauropelta. And yes, a nicely done Iguanodon would be nice though I suspect perhaps better suited to a new MOS set...

Daspletodave

Camptosaurus 7m
Plateosaurus 8m
Tuojiangosaurus 7m
Tenontosaurus 6m
Ornithomimus 4.5m
Albertosaurus 8.5m
Daspletosaurus 9 m
Hypacrosaurus 9m
Corythosaurus 10m
Brachylophosaurus 7m
Prosaurolophus 9m
Centrosaurus 6m
Chasmosaurus 6m
Pentaceratops 6m
Torosaurus 6m
Talarurus 6m

ltokuda

Here's my picks:

Megalosaurus (23 feet) - First dinosaur ever named!  For historical reasons, this would be great.
Einiosaurus (15 feet) - Cool horn!
Kosmoceratops (15 feet) - Most decorated ceratopsian!
Concaventor (20 feet) - It looks pretty unique.
Europasaurus (20 feet) - Smallest sauropod ever!  It's a nice contrast to the larger sauropods and offers a great opportunity to talk to your kids about evolutionary pressure.
Monolophosaurus (18 feet) - Another unique looking therapod.
Icthyovenator (25 feet) - Cool double sail!
Diabloceratops (15 feet) - Another great frill to work with!
Herrerasaurus (10-20 feet) - It would be nice to give the Triassic more representation.

John

Oops,I meant to post in the unofficial poll question about potential new additions to the former Museum of Science,Boston line,hence so many things I listed being too big to fit in the Terra line at the moment... :o

Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: