News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Unofficial Poll question for additional dinosaurs for the former MOS series

Started by loru1588, August 26, 2014, 09:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryphoceratops

I have three. 

Dryptosaurus (roughly 20 feet)- This dinosaur has been known for so long and NOBODY ever made a model of it.  It more than deserves a model.

Hadrosaurus foulkii (roughly 20 feet) - Same reasons as Dryprosaurus.  There was one model made way back based on a Charles Knight painting I think.  That's it.

Nasutoceratops- One of the most unique ceratopids I'm actually surprised nobody else has done one yet.

Takama

Quote from: loru1588 on August 27, 2014, 03:43:43 AM
Quote from: DinoLord on August 27, 2014, 03:32:44 AM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 27, 2014, 03:26:33 AM
What the market is already saturated with
Derived ceratopsians
Derived Duckbills
Spinosaurids
Derived theropods

Interesting possibilities

probactrosaurus    18 feet
Bactrosaurus 20 feet

Both of these dinosaurs stand at the very basics of duckbills

Herrerasaurus       10-20 feet
One of the most basal dinosaurs known

Plateosaurus - Another primitive dinosaur, known from much fossil material and I have always felt this dinosaur would look gorgeous in Mr. Larosso's hands.

Excellent suggestions - I had forgotten about Herrerasaurus (I loved Luis Rey's depiction of this species in that illustrated dino field guide book as a kid). These might be better for the Terra line though given that they're all within the size limit for that line.

Dan, out of curiosity - is there any other criteria besides size that influences your choices of what species goes with which line?

Nothing too small ( under 5 meters ). I still have neuropathy in my fingers from the chemo I take, so doing tiny figures and trying to keep the detail sharp & realistic is just not practical or possible for me at this time. I will also stay away from fragmented/speculative dinosaurs. A claw, hip bone and part of a humerus does not a dinosaur make! Nothing that a formal paper hasn't been published on.

Maybe you can sculpt small species at a Larger scale and have them pantographed like the original Minis?

DinoLord

Quote from: loru1588 on August 27, 2014, 03:43:43 AMA claw, hip bone and part of a humerus does not a dinosaur make! Nothing that a formal paper hasn't been published on.

Good to hear that you won't be focusing on the overly unknown dinosaurs - it always bugs me to buy a figure of one and then have it shown wholly inaccurate by a later discovery.

Also I think a lack of small figures is fine - most of the species people have suggested for the MOS line are big ones anyway. Hopefully you can continue sculpting medium size figures - the details on the new Terra figures are excellent. Best of luck to you and your health.

@Takama: While there a lot of small species that would look good if sculpted by Dan at a larger scale, it would be nice to have a line that sticks to one scale instead of going all over the place. It would be something that sets Battats apart (in addition to exceptional accuracy that is)

Takama

I know that this line must stick to a set scale, but there are many species that have never been graced in toy form because every company goes for the largest species.

I believe Lorusso said that there might be a line of off scale dinosaurs if sales of everything else is good

DinoLord

Good point. While there are a lot of big species that need more toy love, some of the small ones get ignored too.

I had missed the part about the pantograph in your other post - what is that exactly?

Georassic

My suggested choices:
Iguanodon--seems like there hasn't been an updated/good one in years
Yutyrannus--a large feathered theropod makes many collectors happy
Plateosaurus--a classic dinotoy, as previously noted
Allosaurus--ditto Plateo, and my personal favorite
Europasaurus--I know Bullyland just did one, but 6-meter sauropods are rare, and rare toys
Edmontosaurus with the recently discovered comb

I hope you're soon back to full health and full strength, Dan.

John

Another potential could be Riojasaurus incertus,33 feet long. :)

Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

loru1588

Quote from: DinoLord on August 27, 2014, 04:19:10 AM
Good point. While there are a lot of big species that need more toy love, some of the small ones get ignored too.

I had missed the part about the pantograph in your other post - what is that exactly?

A pantograph is a machine that can scale up or down an existing item. This is old school. I used to do this when I was a machinist making  prototype engine parts for GE. VERY time consuming!! It was how the minis where  made originally 20 years ago

DinoLord

Quote from: loru1588 on August 27, 2014, 05:12:00 AM
A pantograph is a machine that can scale up or down an existing item. This is old school. I used to do this when I was a machinist making  prototype engine parts for GE. VERY time consuming!! It was how the minis where  made originally 20 years ago

Ah, I see. Interesting concept for sure.

amargasaurus cazaui

Kind words Dinolord, thanks. I wouldnt mind any of the figures I mentioned being made in either line honestly , I would get them of course. I just think Dan would make a Plateosaurus really look intriguing....I loved the Carnegie version done by Forest as well.I am unsure if Protoceratops is size worthy but a worthwhile dinosaur in its own right.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

loru1588

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 27, 2014, 08:20:32 AM
Kind words Dinolord, thanks. I wouldnt mind any of the figures I mentioned being made in either line honestly , I would get them of course. I just think Dan would make a Plateosaurus really look intriguing....I loved the Carnegie version done by Forest as well.I am unsure if Protoceratops is size worthy but a worthwhile dinosaur in its own right.

Greg Wenzel did a Protoceratops for Safari for their tube series. It actually scales out to 1:10th

Georassic

Dan, was that the GE plant in Lynn? I grew up there...

loru1588

Quote from: Georassic on August 27, 2014, 06:28:28 PM
Dan, was that the GE plant in Lynn? I grew up there...

Yes!! I worked at United Industries in Everett. We did a lot of prototype work for GE, both the F 404 engines as well as the helicopter engines.

Takama

Quote from: DinoLord on August 26, 2014, 11:23:31 PM
Quote from: Takama on August 26, 2014, 09:49:43 PM

Shantungosaurus giganteus 15 meters

Giraffatitan Brancai 26 meters

Allosaurus Fragilis (no line is complete without one) 12 meters

Spinosaurus ‬aegyptiacus (Based on the most recent discovery's)

Mamenchisaurus sinocanadorum 35 meters

Torvosaurus tanneri 10 meters

I agree with all of the above, and also with the Sauroposeidon, Shunosaurus, and large Lambeosaurus mentioned. I'm especially hoping for a Giraffatitan; none of the models on the market satisfy me and I really feel you could do this species justice Dan like you did with the Diplodocus.

Also, if there is any possibility for you to do a rearing Barosaurus along with an attacking Allosaurus like the AMNH mount, that would be epic.

I think one large rearing Sauropod is enough for this line, non enthusiasts might not see the difference between the Dippy and the Baro.  But either way I  hope That Battat will allow him t do more big Sauropods period.   

Seijun

I already suggested these for the Terra series, but it doesnt matter to me if they are called Terra or MOS:
Lambeosaurus! (only good toy of this species is the invicta one
Brachylophosaurus, Edmontosaurus, or similar hadrosaur
Yutyrannus
Nasutoceratops
Diabloceratops
Any small sauropods or proto-sauropods?
Something from Spinosauridae
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

stargatedalek

I have a question, now that the museum name is gone, will these figures be part of the Terra line, or another new line?

loru1588

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 27, 2014, 10:59:44 PM
I have a question, now that the museum name is gone, will these figures be part of the Terra line, or another new line?

They will not be part of the Terra Series. Those will be all new sculpts. The former MOS Boston line will be re-issued under a new name altogether. I have no idea what that will be at this time,

Takama

Can you assure that neither of the lines will have the same species?  (Like if there's a Allosaurus in one line, there would not be one in the other?)

stargatedalek

^ on that note, is it possible that some pieces could be released in both lines? perhaps with different paint apps

*this is assuming each line has different distribution*

loru1588

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 27, 2014, 11:32:52 PM
^ on that note, is it possible that some pieces could be released in both lines? perhaps with different paint apps

*this is assuming each line has different distribution*

I think the exclusivity contract with Target will prevent the same figure ( different paint job or not ) to let that happen. But, no real worries, there are SO many dinosaurs.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: