News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Unofficial Poll question for additional dinosaurs for the former MOS series

Started by loru1588, August 26, 2014, 09:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georassic

Quote from: loru1588 on August 27, 2014, 06:51:36 PM
Yes!! I worked at United Industries in Everett. We did a lot of prototype work for GE, both the F 404 engines as well as the helicopter engines.
Anyone who grew up in Lynn, it was a virtual lock that you were related to someone at GE. My uncle Paul worked there 30 years. I left Mass 30 years ago, but still have a lot of family on the North Shore, including a brother in Salem. Next time I'm back that way, I'd be honored to visit your shop.

Apologies to the Forum crowd for temporarily hijacking the thread with memory lane.
Back to regular dino-programming.  :)

Chad

I really like Simon's suggestions on the first page. Also, einiosaurus seems like a no-brainer.

Sim

Who I'd really like to join the Battat dinosaur family!:

Suchomimus tenerensis  11.5 metres

Suchomimus is a spinosaurid known from pretty good remains, and it's awesome!  I'd really like a Battat Suchomimus!

Herrerasaurus ischigualastensis  6 metres

One of the first dinosaurs!  The fast Herrerasaurus lived when dinosaurs weren't the dominant land animals.  Triassic dinosaurs are very rare in toy form, and there are no good Herrerasaurus toys.  I think it, and the next dinosaur would be excellent first Triassic dinosaurs for Battat!  It's known from great fossil remains, including a complete skull!

Plateosaurus engelhardti  10 metres

Another Triassic dinosaur!  A dinosaur with well-grasping hands and legs built for quick movement, Plateosaurus is known from a huge amount of skeletons, including complete ones!

Carcharodontosaurus saharicus  13 metres

An enormous theropod with serrated teeth.  I think it's awesome!

Allosaurus fragilis  Over 8.5 metres

A popular and well-known dinosaur!  It had short but powerful forelimbs.

Lambeosaurus lambei  9.4 metres

A hadrosaur with a unique crest!  Skin impressions show it had scales.  It's likely all hadrosaurs had great vision and hearing (which was probably essential with all the large carnivores around!).

Torvosaurus tanneri 10 metres

There's no good megalosaurid toy.  The impressive Torvosaurus is known from good remains and not from a good toy!

Spinosaurus aegyptiacus  16 metres

The largest theropod was really unique!  Through more recent remains its appearance seems to be better known...
Edit: I trusted the new information too much - there's disagreement among experts about how Spinosaurus looked.  It's probably best not to make a figure of it until a consensus about how it looked is reached.

Alamosaurus sanjuanensis  Over 18.3 metres

The enormous, armoured titanosaur Alamosaurus coexisted with Tyrannosaurus!  Titanosaurs are poorly represented in toy form.

I'd be happy to see these in either this or the Terra line, preferably in the one which is more likely to be available in the UK!

I think you'd make amazing figures of all of these, Dan! I hope your health gets better soon!

amargasaurus cazaui

Yes good plan!!! Plateosaurus and Herrerasaurus for sure. Quite a few people seem to want a Plateosaurus for sure.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

John

Along with the species I've already mentioned,I'll join in with those that say that Plateosaurus,Herrerasaurus,Camarasaurus,Yutyrannus,Shantungosaurus or Giraffatitan would be good future candidates to consider. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

DinoLord

Camarasaurus is actually a good one that I hadn't thought of. It would be great for Morrison dioramas.

Takama

Quote from: Sim on September 01, 2014, 03:29:59 AM

[

One of the first dinosaurs!  The fast Herrerasaurus lived when dinosaurs weren't the dominant land animals.  Triassic dinosaurs are very rare in toy form, and there are no good Herrerasaurus toys.  I think it, and the next dinosaur would be excellent first Triassic dinosaurs for Battat!  It's known from great fossil remains, including a complete skull!

!

I thought Herrerasaurus would be too small for this line

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Takama on September 01, 2014, 06:34:36 AM

[

!

apparently ten to twenty feet

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Sim

Quote from: Simon on August 26, 2014, 09:41:58 PM
Next, the "Sauropod tank", "Diamantinasaurus matildae" from Australia:

50 feet long, 8 feet tall at the hips, weight - 20 tons.  A veritable Ankylosaur masquerading as a sauropod!!!!
It's not known whether Diamantinasaurus had armour, its only remains are the ones in your post.

Quote from: Simon on August 26, 2014, 10:11:20 PM
Lambeosaurus Laticaudus - 15 metes long
This animal was provisionally assigned to Lambeosaurus.  It's now officially known as Magnapaulia laticaudus.  Its head crest, if it had one, is unknown.

Quote from: loru1588 on August 27, 2014, 03:43:43 AM
I will also stay away from fragmented/speculative dinosaurs. A claw, hip bone and part of a humerus does not a dinosaur make!
I'm glad!  There are plenty of great dinosaurs known from good remains.  Figures based on fragmentary remains seem a bit pointless as they're basically a complete guess on the animal's appearance!  They can also become very inaccurate once more remains are found.  CollectA's Deinocheirus immediately comes to mind.  It looks so different from a real Deinocheirus!  I'm glad there won't be bases too!

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on August 27, 2014, 03:49:56 AM
Dryptosaurus (roughly 20 feet)- This dinosaur has been known for so long and NOBODY ever made a model of it.  It more than deserves a model.
It probably hasn't had a figure of it made because it's known from very fragmentary remains.  The brown parts in the image below are all it's known from:

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 01, 2014, 07:25:10 AM
Quote from: Takama on September 01, 2014, 06:34:36 AM

[

!

apparently ten to twenty feet
That's right!  So it would be big enough!  :)

Daspletodave

My choices:
Iguanodon 10metres
Camptosaurus 7m
Allosaurus 12m
Jingshanosaurus 9m
Tuojiangosaurus 7m
Baryonyx 10m
Ornithomimus 4.5m
Albertosaurus 8.5m
Daspletosaurus 9 m
Lambeosaurus 15m
Corythosaurus 10m
Brachylophosaurus 7m
Prosaurolophus 9m
Edmontosaurus 13m
Centrosaurus 6m
Chasmosaurus 6m
Pentaceratops 6m
Torosaurus 6m
Talarurus 6m

ltokuda

Here's my choices:

Spinophosaurus (50 feet) - Very cool sauropod that hasn't been done yet.  The Thagomizer would be a great selling point.
Giraffatitan (75 feet) - I haven't seen a great version of this yet.
Giganotosaurus (43 feet) - Possibly the biggest land carnivore of all time.  Also, it would be a perfect complement to ...
Argentinosaurus (100 feet) - A 1/40th scale model of this would be awesome!  I'd definitely buy this for my kid!
Spinosaurus (49 feet) - Another contender for biggest land carnivore.  It should be popular due to the JP movies.
Allosaurus (29 feet) - Classic predator with lots of fossil material.  It seems like no dinosaur line should be without one of these.
Iguanodon (33 feet) - Iguanodontids seem to be under-represented in the dino toy market.  We could use a good one.
Shunosaurus (31 feet) - Another very cool sauropod.  The club on the tail should make it popular.
Tsintaosaurus (33 feet) - The unique crest could make this figure interesting.
Magnapaulia (Lambeosaurus Laticaudus) (50 feet) - If you're going to do a hadrosaur, why not a giant Lambeosaurus?
Plateosaurus (33 feet) - Having a prosauropod in the lineup is a great way to help demonstrate evolution to kids.
Yutyrannus (30 feet) - Largest feathered dinosaur discovered so far!  You could have a lot of fun with it.

Sim

Several people have suggested Magnapaulia laticaudus, sometimes incorrectly as a species of Lambeosaurus.  What's known of Magnapaulia is only the white parts in the skeleton below:

The top of its head hasn't been found, therefore it's not known what its head crest looks like or if it had one.  Wouldn't it be better to make a figure of a hadrosaur where more of it, especially a complete head, is known?  For example Lambeosaurus, Corythosaurus, Hypacrosaurus...  It doesn't seem worthwhile to make a figure of a dinosaur where important parts of it are unknown, when it has similar relatives known from good fossil remains.

loru1588

A great big thanks to everyone who has listed what dinosaurs they'd like to see! I can't tell you which ones but, the next 6 in the Terra Series, Dan LoRusso Collection are on the listed dinosaurs here! 2 have been completed and are at the mold makers. I will not however be sculpting any dinosaurs that have minimal skeletal material especially fragmented skull material like Magnapaulia. I know I speculated on Gigantoraptor, but with all the info on Oviraptorids it's an educated guess whereas we have no idea what the crest would look like as Sim has pointed out. Thanks again and keep the want list coming.

Patrx

Looking forward to seeing them! It's been very cool to participate in the process :)

pascosaur

my suggestions:

Camptosaurus, Camarasaurus, Giraffatitan and may be an Allosaurus to have a large /almost complete/ panel of Morrisson dinosaurs in the Battat Terra serie.
Plateosaurus which is under represented.
So is Iguanodon.
Shunosaurus (so weird with its tail club) could be a great choice too!

Thank You :)

Sim

Quote from: loru1588 on September 04, 2014, 04:31:46 PM
A great big thanks to everyone who has listed what dinosaurs they'd like to see! I can't tell you which ones but, the next 6 in the Terra Series, Dan LoRusso Collection are on the listed dinosaurs here! 2 have been completed and are at the mold makers. I will not however be sculpting any dinosaurs that have minimal skeletal material especially fragmented skull material like Magnapaulia. I know I speculated on Gigantoraptor, but with all the info on Oviraptorids it's an educated guess whereas we have no idea what the crest would look like as Sim has pointed out. Thanks again and keep the want list coming.
I'm looking forward to seeing them!  :D

Quote from: pascosaur on September 04, 2014, 05:30:51 PM
my suggestions:

Camptosaurus, Camarasaurus, Giraffatitan and may be an Allosaurus to have a large /almost complete/ panel of Morrisson dinosaurs in the Battat Terra serie.
So is Iguanodon.

Giraffatitan's from the Tendaguru Formation in Africa.  It's Brachiosaurus that's found in the Morrison Formation  :)

Takama

You saying that to those who have not posted there's yet?  Or can I give another 12 wants?

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Sim on September 04, 2014, 09:40:55 PM

my suggestions:

So is Iguanodon.

Giraffatitan's from the Tendaguru Formation in Africa.  It's Brachiosaurus that's found in the Morrison Formation  :)

My understanding is they are both Brachiosaurids...the North American version Brachiosaurus Branchai, and the African version Giraffatitan.

John

Yet more potential ideas for the future:
If I happen to repeat anything that any of you other members already have,then think of it as just me agreeing with you. ;D

Sinosaurus triassicus (the former "Dilophosaurus" sinensis) 20 feet long
Aucasaurus garridoi 20 feet long
Mapusaurus roseae just about 40 feet long
Daspletosaurus torosus 30 feet long
Massospondylus huenei 30 feet long
Yunnanosaurus huangi about 23 feet long
Melanorosaurus readi 26 feet long
Dicraeosaurus hansemanni 40 feet long
Jobaria tiguidensis 70 feet long
Gryposaurus notabilis 27 feet long
Shantungosaurus giganteus 50 feet long
Edmontosaurus annectens 40 feet long (the duckbill made famous as "Trachodon" in the older books.I have no idea whether or not this had any kind of fleshy crest on it's head in life like E. regalis,you and the paleontologists you consult with will know a lot more about that than I do)

Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Sim

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 05, 2014, 02:44:00 AM
Quote from: Sim on September 04, 2014, 09:40:55 PM

my suggestions:

So is Iguanodon.

My understanding is they are both Brachiosaurids...the North American version Brachiosaurus Branchai, and the African version Giraffatitan.
Brachiosaurus brancai is the animal now known as Giraffatitan - Giraffatitan brancai, and it's from Africa.  Brachiosaurus altithorax is the only currently recognised species of Brachiosaurus, and it's from North America's Morrison Formation.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: