News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Dinosaur Island

Started by leidy, August 27, 2014, 12:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leidy

No, not the low-budget 1994 nudie flick.

This one is a 2014 kid's movie from Australia.

the official website has a trailer and some stills.

http://www.arclightfilms.com/NewTitles.aspx?ProjectId=13dbd983-6c0f-e311-9060-d4ae527c3b65&bu=Arclight

Manatee

Is that a fluffy T.rex I see? These dinosaurs are much more based off recent scientific research than most.

stargatedalek

looks like your average cheesy children's movie plot to me, but I'll obviously go see it just for the accuracy (if it hits international theaters?)

Pachyrhinosaurus

Too bad its just aimed at small children... Is that the Dinosaur Revolution guanlong at 1:57 in the trailer?
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Blade-of-the-Moon

The dinos look pretty good for the most part. Not sure about the pterosaurs.  Seems like a Land of the Lost type plot..not bad, could be a fun film to watch regardless. :)

DinoLord

Most of the dinosaurs actually look quite good. The pterosaurs are a bit wonky but I don't know enough about pterosaur anatomy to say more.

Blade-of-the-Moon

i just can't figure what species they are...

brandem

I'm now crossing my fingers that they will use the same frazetta art as the 1994 film,

Mojoceratops

The premise reminds me of Dinotopia... Makes me wish George Lucas's plan for that had actually happened :(

Takama

Wow.

All I can say is, I hope they bring this to America

DinoLord

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 27, 2014, 02:46:30 AM
i just can't figure what species they are...

When I saw the front view in one of the screenshots I thought it was an azdarchid of some sort, but I'm pretty sure the long tail invalidates that. Some undiscovered transitional form perhaps?

stargatedalek

Such a transitional would not be an azdarchid ;)

DinoLord

Yeah I meant to imply that.

Another thing that sticks out at me about this film is the use of bright color - works well for the small maniraptoran, but the big tyrannosaur looks almost goofy and parrot-like. I wonder if that's something just meant to appeal to kids or if it's explained in-film.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoLord on August 27, 2014, 04:23:23 AM
Yeah I meant to imply that.

Another thing that sticks out at me about this film is the use of bright color - works well for the small maniraptoran, but the big tyrannosaur looks almost goofy and parrot-like. I wonder if that's something just meant to appeal to kids or if it's explained in-film.

Probably to appeal more to kids and stand out in 3D..like with Avatar or the more recent WWD:3D

stargatedalek

Other than the head and heck its grey, I think its fine honestly,  looking at birds the colours seem acceptable

tyrantqueen

I like the T.rex. The hair on the pterosaur doesn't look so good, though. It looks like a puffball.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Mojoceratops on August 27, 2014, 03:02:10 AM
The premise reminds me of Dinotopia... Makes me wish George Lucas's plan for that had actually happened :(

The maker of Star Wars was going to make a Dino film?!
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Manatee on August 27, 2014, 12:47:15 AM
Is that a fluffy T.rex I see? These dinosaurs are much more based off recent scientific research than most.

There's no proof T. rex had feathers, most likely it did not.
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

leidy

I don't find the fluffy tyrannosaur particularly convincing, but at least it's a start.  The feathers have a very artificial look to them.  It's probably just a matter of time before we see feathered tyrannosaurs in more mainstream productions, and done better.  I didn't find March of the Dinosaurs tyrannosaur very believable either, but sooner or later someone will nail it.

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 27, 2014, 07:05:02 PM

no direct evidence, but the 'most likely' is debatable.  If we're talking 'feathers', then sure.  When you have an animal as large as Yutyrannus, it seems a lot more plausible that T.rex would've had at least some amount of 'dinofuzz' or 'integument', whatever it should be called.  Even elephants aren't completely bald. 

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: leidy on August 27, 2014, 08:57:02 PM
I don't find the fluffy tyrannosaur particularly convincing, but at least it's a start.  The feathers have a very artificial look to them.  It's probably just a matter of time before we see feathered tyrannosaurs in more mainstream productions, and done better.  I didn't find March of the Dinosaurs tyrannosaur very believable either, but sooner or later someone will nail it.

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 27, 2014, 07:05:02 PM

no direct evidence, but the 'most likely' is debatable.  If we're talking 'feathers', then sure.  When you have an animal as large as Yutyrannus, it seems a lot more plausible that T.rex would've had at least some amount of 'dinofuzz' or 'integument', whatever it should be called.  Even elephants aren't completely bald.

It certainly wasn't an overgrown chick as seen in the screenshot!
-UDK

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.