News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2015

Started by Ikessauro, September 18, 2014, 05:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmperorDinobot

Designer Humans and Human Organs?

OMG it's The Island.

DinoLord

Is it just me or have the past four Carnegie theropods been tripods roaring with their heads tilted to the left...

tyrantqueen

It's not you. If you look at some of the old Carnegies, they may have had inferior sculpting compared to FR's most recent work, but they did at least show some variety in terms of posing :-\  It's probably Safari's doing. I think Forest Rogers is more than capable of sculpting unusual postures, but Safari probably has her stuck in a rut of sculpting the same thing over and over again. But it might also be down to the fact that we've been getting mostly theropods from Carnegie as of late, and nothing much else.

SBell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 21, 2014, 10:57:59 PM
It's not you. If you look at some of the old Carnegies, they may have had inferior sculpting compared to FR's most recent work, but they did at least show some variety in terms of posing :-\  It's probably Safari's doing. I think Forest Rogers is more than capable of sculpting unusual postures, but Safari probably has her stuck in a rut of sculpting the same thing over and over again. But it might also be down to the fact that we've been getting mostly theropods from Carnegie as of late, and nothing much else.

Safari is the distributor--Carnegir has a contract with them to produce the figure(s) produced based on the decisions of the Carnegie.

DinoLord

TQ - good point about it probably being out of Forest Roger's control. I recall on the old forum there was a member who worked at the Carnegie museum - I wonder if they're still around? It's a shame; they'd be very nice sculpts if they weren't all so monotonous.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SBell on September 21, 2014, 11:03:07 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 21, 2014, 10:57:59 PM

Safari is the distributor--Carnegir has a contract with them to produce the figure(s) produced based on the decisions of the Carnegie.

I wonder who actually makes the decisions at the Carnegie ? A group of people or one individual? Just curious.

Bokisaurus

Nice to see some interesting species for the Wild Safari line, loving the ceratopsian the best. Great to see Safari jumping on new species... would be interesting if CollectA also release the same ceratopsian species next year ^-^

Carnegie, well, I like the color on the figure, but I find myself bored with the species list for that particular line :-\

Concavenator

Looking at the right feet of the Archaeopteryx,there is an extra finger.That's wrong.

DinoToyForum

I've replaced the images in the first post with slightly higher resolution versions.

Sim

Quote from: Concavenator on September 24, 2014, 10:16:28 PM
Looking at the right feet of the Archaeopteryx,there is an extra finger.That's wrong.

If you're looking at this picture, then no, the number of toes is correct!

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on September 25, 2014, 09:32:49 PM

I don't think so.Compare the two feet.

tyrantqueen

I don't understand. From the photo it looks like the sickle claw is in a different position on the left foot than it is on the right. Maybe it's an optical illusion...am I the only one seeing this? On the left foot, it looks like it's in between the two toes

CityRaptor

Do you mean the halux pointing backwards? Because that is correct. One halux, one sickleclaw, two normal toes. Due to the position we don't see the other halux.
I think this is also the only model of this genus where the sickleclaw is prominent.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Hynerpeton

I want this!! :)
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

Sim

Quote from: Concavenator on September 25, 2014, 10:09:41 PM

I don't think so.Compare the two feet.
Archaeopteryx's first toe pointed backwards, that's why you can't see it on it's right foot which is facing forwards.  You can see Archie's first toe on it's left foot because it's being seen from the side.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 25, 2014, 10:24:26 PM
I don't understand. From the photo it looks like the sickle claw is in a different position on the left foot than it is on the right. Maybe it's an optical illusion...am I the only one seeing this? On the left foot, it looks like it's in between the two toes
It looked like that to me too!  In this better quality picture, on the left foot there are 2 lines diagonally below the sickle claw which I think is very likely the rest of that toe, meaning the sickle claws would correctly be on the second toe on both feet.

Concavenator

As soon as the Carnegie Velociraptor releases,I'm going to get it  :)

ZoPteryx

Little late to the party, but I must say these new Safaris look amazing!

Velociraptor:  Finally an update!  Shame Carnegie's stuck on one figure a year, but at least it looks excellent.  It's missing primary feathers on its hand, but perhaps they've been lost secondarily due to its terrestrial and predatory habits.

Archaeopteryx:  Static pose aside, leaps and bounds ahead of the Papo figure (which I just bought, of course!).

Yutyrannus:  Wonderful!  No complaints at all!

Nasutoceratops:  Perhaps their best ceratopsian yet!

Sauropelta:  I knew they'd make either Sauropelta or Gastonia eventually!  Looks like a good year for both species.  Very good figure overall.

I'll definitely be getting all of these! :))

No paleo-toobs though...  :'(

sauroid

i think it's safe to say that Safari got inspiration from takara tomy's feathered T. rex for their new Yutyrannus model.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

John

Quote from: sauroid on October 01, 2014, 09:12:57 AM
i think it's safe to say that Safari got inspiration from takara tomy's feathered T. rex for their new Yutyrannus model.

I only see a superficial resemblance between the two at best,in that they are both feathered tyrannosaurs.The Yutyrannus not only doesn't have anywhere near the same pose or color,but also looks much too specific for it's particular species in it's skull shape and overall body proportions for me to believe that it's a knock off of the Takara T. rex.If anything,it's the Takara T. rex that's clearly based on another model.Aside from having feathers,the Takara one is modeled after the Michael Trcic sculpted 1/24 scale Tyrannosaurus statue from Favorite Co. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

amanda

I do not see Safari being "inspired" here. Face it, there are only so many poses and color variations for these animals. Safari's is in a neutral, closed mouthed, pose. Looks nothing like this. The coloring is not really similar either. The only real similarity is the style of feathering on the neck, if you wanna stretch. I'll need better pics of the Archy before making any determinations there. I doubt I'll bother with the Velociraptor though. Unless detail pics show the detail to be overwhelming and "the vapors" inducing. :D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: