News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA-New for 2015

Started by Concavenator, October 20, 2014, 07:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dobber

I like how it looks with the mouth..."closed". It kind of looks like it it is bellowing or try to call to a mate or something.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Simon

Quote from: suspsy on August 20, 2015, 11:59:55 PM

Ouch. The Carnegie model does look a little out of place there, doesn't it? I'm guessing you prefer the previous version?

And thanks! :)

I prefer NO Carnegie version, actually.  Looking at your photo, though, I started thinking:  "hmm...well if you put the Battat's legs/tail/arms together with the Carnegie head an body..."

Then I quickly remembered that I am out of that customizing/modeling business ... I'll leave it to someone else, now that the Battat TRexs are cheap and plentiful ...

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 21, 2015, 12:06:31 AM

Ouch. The Carnegie model does look a little out of place there, doesn't it? I'm guessing you prefer the previous version?

I construed that as excluding the Papo! Either way, I think the Battat and CollectA go well together.

I would've thought he was referring to the Papo too since it's based on something that isn't Tyrannosaurus, if I didn't know how he feels about the Carnegie theropods.  I did consider replying that if there was a poser I might not be thinking it's the one he's thinking of!  Hehe!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on August 20, 2015, 06:48:59 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 20, 2015, 05:00:25 PM
Heard a few more of the newest CollectA's finally made it to the States.

Just got my Acrocanthosaurus today! Pictures soon!

here's a list from dejankins : http://www.dejankins.com/blog/

In stock now at DeJankins:

Deluxe Acrocanthosaurus, Daeodon, Moropus, Guidraco, and Pliosaur (from earlier this year)
    Standard Temnodontosaurus, Smilodon, and from earlier this year the Xionguanlong, Medusaceratops, Nasutoceratops, and Daxiatitan
    Baobab Tree

We are still waiting on:

Deluxe Feathered Tyrannosaurus rex and "short-legged" Spinosaurus
    Both versions of the Standard sized "short-legged" Spinosaurus (walking and swimming versions)
    Mini-Dinosaurs collections 1 and 2

joossa

Thanks for the great Acro photos, Gwangi. Sorry to heat about the leg issue.
I was originally going to get this before Rebor announced their Acro.

Quote from: Simon on August 20, 2015, 07:52:15 PM
Quote from: suspsy on August 20, 2015, 04:20:05 PM
And here are a few more comparison shots.

The four sovereigns of Battat, Papo, CollectA, and Carnegie.

Ummm ... Three Sovereigns and one 'Poser' might be more accurate ....   ;) ;) ;)

Nice photography, I like all of your photos!!

Fantastic group shot! It looks like the three are banishing the Carnegie Rex and it's reluctant to go.  ;D
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

tyrantqueen

The CollectA Acro and Carcharo look great together.

Dobber

Regarding the new Feathered T-Rex, could its tail really bend like that. It's the one thing that bugs me about the sculpt. It looks so snake like with that "zig-zag" in it. If it is something Paleontologists think it could do then it would make me feel better. Still an awesome sculpt overall, regardless.

Chris

Arul

Very nice...i cant wait to get that swimming spino in my hands i think that is the best collecta figure, and the smilodon  :))

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Dobber on August 21, 2015, 12:00:28 PM
Regarding the new Feathered T-Rex, could its tail really bend like that. It's the one thing that bugs me about the sculpt. It looks so snake like with that "zig-zag" in it. If it is something Paleontologists think it could do then it would make me feel better. Still an awesome sculpt overall, regardless.

Chris

Don't see why not. The tail tip especially would have been more flexible than the base. The only groups that had tails stiff along the whole lengt, stiff like flexible rods, were dromeosaurids and hadrosaurids, due to the tendons or long vertebrae projections.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

stargatedalek

Chris
The last I heard large theropods had a fair deal of flexibility in their tails, at least compared to smaller ones.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 21, 2015, 03:41:18 PM

Chris
The last I heard large theropods had a fair deal of flexibility in their tails, at least compared to smaller ones.

Well, it has more to do with anatomy of the vertebrae than size. People tend to harp on small ones because they know raptors have stiff tails, and then don't know they don't have to apply this to everything. It's true that more advanced theropods have slightly stiffer tails (hence "Tetanurae") but it's not true that means they were extremely unbendable. Just stiffer relative to ceratosaurs etc.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

suspsy

A T. rex tail wouldn't have much vertical flexibility, but the horizontal range depicted on Firestreak seems within reason.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dobber

Thanks for the input guys. I just want to be clear, I always understood that the Rex's tail could bend and such.... just not zig-zag the way the replica's does. I figured it would bend one side or the other but not to the left, and then 3/4 of the way back, back to the right.

Chris

John

The two new Spinosaurus that suspy shows in his pics look very nice,(I'm especially partial to the swimming one). ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

tyrantqueen

There is some room for speculation on how flexible its tail was, so I wouldn't say it's incorrect. Aren't the CollectA feathered rex's ankles a bit skinny though? There were complaints that the Carnegie Tyrannosaurus' were, and CollectA's don't seem much thicker...

Nonetheless, I have to say, CollectA is doing Tyrannosaurus toys RIGHT >:D

suspsy

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 22, 2015, 03:25:48 AM
There is some room for speculation on how flexible its tail was, so I wouldn't say it's incorrect. Aren't the CollectA feathered rex's ankles a bit skinny though? There were complaints that the Carnegie Tyrannosaurus' were, and CollectA's don't seem much thicker...

Viewed from the side, the ankles do appear thinner than on other reconstructions, but they look thicker from the front. I think the sculptor was trying to play up the avian appearance some more.

QuoteNonetheless, I have to say, CollectA is doing Tyrannosaurus toys RIGHT >:D

Damn straight. I want CollectA to make a Deluxe female so I can have a happy little family. :)

And thanks for the compliments on the photos, folks!

suspsy

Quote from: joossa on August 21, 2015, 05:59:05 AM
Quote from: Simon on August 20, 2015, 07:52:15 PM
Quote from: suspsy on August 20, 2015, 04:20:05 PM
And here are a few more comparison shots.

The four sovereigns of Battat, Papo, CollectA, and Carnegie.

Ummm ... Three Sovereigns and one 'Poser' might be more accurate ....   ;) ;) ;)

Nice photography, I like all of your photos!!

Fantastic group shot! It looks like the three are banishing the Carnegie Rex and it's reluctant to go.  ;D

They just voted him out of their barbershop quartet. He was too out of tune. :(

Dobber

I wholeheartedly agree :))

Suspy, is the Rex moulded with the base or is it just glued on to it?

Chris

postsaurischian

Quote from: Dobber on August 22, 2015, 11:53:48 AM

If only they would have left that awfully painted hairdo off!

MLMjp

Quote from: postsaurischian on August 22, 2015, 12:37:49 PM
Quote from: Dobber on August 22, 2015, 11:53:48 AM

If only they would have left that awfully painted hairdo off!

I completely agree with you
It would have look better if that feather crest wasn´t there because the rest of the body looks great
Feather crest/mohawks are one of the things I dislike when people make/draw feathered T. rexes
That detail bugs me so I will pass on it, but I have to admit that is a nice figure and I envy everyone who likes it
I wish i can enjoy it too!

Pd:
Love the shot with the four tyrants!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: