News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA-New for 2015

Started by Concavenator, October 20, 2014, 07:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arul

joossa

The Spinos are not as bad as I thought they would look like.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

amargasaurus cazaui

The issues with the various categories of collecta models being so similar is not a dead issue, it is annoying to many collectors and is an ongoing opportunity for Collecta to improve their model releases. In the various categories of models they release many of the models share the same poses, as well as accuracy issues, like extensive shrink wrapping and wide hips. If you spend a little time on Facebook in the various communities that deal with these models it becomes quite apparent this is definitely not a dead issue. It will be interesting in the near future to see how Collecta responds to those issues, especially in regards to the accuracy issues of their ceratopsian figures, which is well documented and ongoing as well.
I did forget to mention I am fond of the concept of the Guidraco and intend to purchase that model, although I will likely have it repainted. I like how the model appears and that it was made ....big in size. I think that model is brilliant and so unique.

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

suspsy

One thing is for certain: it's going to be very hard for CollectA to top this year's assortment. I wonder if they'll actually try to increase the number of figures for 2016, or if it'll be fewer. I also wonder if all those requests for a Yi qi will bear fruit. Considering that the new Spinosaurus reconstruction was only revealed in September 2014, yet CollectA still managed to churn out three versions, I think it's definitely within the realm of possibility.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shadowknight1

Quote from: joossa on July 20, 2015, 12:55:49 AM
The Spinos are not as bad as I thought they would look like.
The original promo pics were not flattering, to say the least.
Quote from: suspsy on July 20, 2015, 03:14:28 AM
One thing is for certain: it's going to be very hard for CollectA to top this year's assortment. I wonder if they'll actually try to increase the number of figures for 2016, or if it'll be fewer. I also wonder if all those requests for a Yi qi will bear fruit. Considering that the new Spinosaurus reconstruction was only revealed in September 2014, yet CollectA still managed to churn out three versions, I think it's definitely within the realm of possibility.
Yi qi would be very neat.  Also wouldn't mind a Microraptor or Archaeopteryx in the same size range as the Guidraco.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

amargasaurus cazaui

That does raise a question for me at least...since we have a picture of what the Spino figures are supposed to be like...I am not a spino expert in any sense...does or could anyone weigh in if they got it right for the new specimen and information we have now? To me it looks right at least, but I really am not specialized into that area...thoughts? I somewhat like the looks of them myself....so I am wondering
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

suspsy

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 20, 2015, 03:25:34 AM
That does raise a question for me at least...since we have a picture of what the Spino figures are supposed to be like...I am not a spino expert in any sense...does or could anyone weigh in if they got it right for the new specimen and information we have now? To me it looks right at least, but I really am not specialized into that area...thoughts? I somewhat like the looks of them myself....so I am wondering

The Spinosaurus toys are all very faithful to the Sereno/Ibrahim reconstruction, although the crocodilian-like scutes on the tails are purely a creative touch. The real issue is that the reconstruction is far from definitive, given that it was created by combining fossils from different sites and different individuals. A number of paleontologists have pointed out that there is a strong possibility of creating inaccurate chimeras. But Ibrahim for his part has been doing a very good job of responding to his critics.

The only surefire means of settling this dispute, unfortunately, is for some super-lucky individual to come across more complete Spinosaurus remains. In the mean time, however, the Sereno/Ibrahim reconstruction stands.

Concavenator

Thanks for the pic,Yutyrannus  :)  .

Quote from: suspsy on July 20, 2015, 03:14:28 AM
If I was to say anything,I do think 2016 will be even better than this year.Next year is CollectA's 10th anniversary.I don't know how many releases will be,but I think that the release of a Giganotosaurus and Apatosaurus is at least possible given their appearance in than small set.Regarding the Yi,they might do one but I'm not sure it will be in 2016.But how cool would be that!
I'm also somehow curious if they will update the Deinocheirus...

Fluffysaurus

They are amazing! Hope to get my hands on the spinos soon.
My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.
I am the cutest Fluffysaurus you have ever seen!

suspsy

Updating the Deinocheirus would be a great idea, yes.

I'd also like to see a new Deluxe Triceratops with keratin spines spread out across the back instead of a line of quills running down the tail.

terrorchicken

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 19, 2015, 09:38:38 PM
Quote from: terrorchicken on July 19, 2015, 09:22:34 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 18, 2015, 06:06:19 AM
Quote from: terrorchicken on July 17, 2015, 10:15:05 PM
oh so Im not the only one who's noticed the acrocantho looks like charcaro. I hope Collecta isnt starting to develop Carnegie style same-iness for their theropods...
:) :) :) :) not just theropods either.......

oh which others? ? or...maybe I shouldnt ask.  :P

I do like the acrocantho but I already have the Battat one so Im passing on it. I do wish companies would try other standing poses for theropods. Like looking down or looking to the side or running(with a based attached.)

You'll find many of us here feel the same way..but looking at it from a company's perspective you'll see why we rarely get anything different.  Running and other unstable poses make for a figure that won't stand on a store shelf and doesn't display well. You make the tail turned down, widen the stance collector's complain it's not accurate. So you add a base which is fine for collectors as it sits on a shelf most o the time. Kid's however don't want based figures as it gets in the way of their play and just looks " wrong
' to them...or so I've been told.  So what does a company do? You sacrifice one aspect or the other.

When it comes to different poses it's the same deal. You make a tyrannosaurus right?  Collectors have seen it all before and they want ones sitting, looking down, feeding, ect.. kids want standing upright, looking forward and intent, mouth open so they can stick other toys in there like it's eating them. I have backward looking sauropods in the shop here and kids aren't as interested in them nearly as much as forward facing ones..but curved necks and tails fit better into boxes.. lol  This is a whole discussion unto itself but hopefully the overview helps.

Oh yeah, I understand why the companies make them the way they do...and there are figures out there that are more varied but they are more high end collectable types. And Collecta does attempt some variety sometimes like wth the sitting Daspletoaurus( but I think it ended up looking weird for some reason)...I totally forgot about the new feathered tyrannosaurus. Also they do make a lot of stuff for collectors that are not play friendly, like plants and dead prey.

Im so torn on the new spinos, the new design is still so strange to me, I havent gotten use to it yet.  :o

suspsy

I would argue that CollectA's dead dinosaurs are VERY fun to play with. I'd have had a blast with them as a kid. But then I was the sort of kid who always loved watching nature documentaries about predators devouring prey. I've encountered kids similar to how I was, but also plenty who can't stand the sight of any kind of gore. I remember meeting one particular little boy who was horrified by the Dino Damage feature on my JP toys. Poor little guy couldn't stand to look at them.

My fiancée can't stand gore either. She's been kind enough to let me keep Firestreak and Junior on top of the dresser, but not the Dead Triceratops. :)

Concavenator

Is it me or the Guidraco really lacks nostrils? I've seen some pictures and  can't see them.That's weird.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Concavenator on July 21, 2015, 06:08:09 PM
Is it me or the Guidraco really lacks nostrils? I've seen some pictures and  can't see them.That's weird.
From the stock photo it looks like the nostrils are far back, right behind the red part of the rostrum.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 21, 2015, 06:10:51 PM
From the stock photo it looks like the nostrils are far back, right behind the red part of the rostrum.
I agree with Halichoeres.  The same can be seen in the photos in stargatedalek's review on the DTB.  If you click on the pictures in the DTB review to make them bigger they can be seen more clearly.

suchomimus

I don't care if the spinos have sharper claws than Banjo. I'm gonna hug all three to sleep. With Banjo. With an empty wallet. Shucks.

suspsy

I'm sad to report that my sweet little Juvenile T. rex is beginning to droop forwards just like so many other people have described. Fortunately, his daddy is happy to help straighten his son out:

Halichoeres

That's a bummer. Dad turned up just in time, huh?

My Ichthyovenator has the same problem, so I placed him next to my Carnegie Baryonyx and positioned its tail so that Baryonyx was holding it down. Now Ichthyovenator's hands clear the shelf by about 1 cm.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

@Suspsy: Try this out  instead https://m.youtube.com/#/channel/UCoKFJI-1AN6n4Ir9m77NTrA
BTW,had to ask:will the swimming Spino be baseless? From what I read,it was going to have a base but on the pic Yutyrannus posted we can see it can't stand on its own.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Sim on July 21, 2015, 07:14:58 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on July 21, 2015, 06:10:51 PM
I agree with Halichoeres.  The same can be seen in the photos in stargatedalek's review on the DTB.  If you click on the pictures in the DTB review to make them bigger they can be seen more clearly.

I have the privilege of having the guidraco Collecta and nostrils are just behind the red hozico pterosaur. On the other hand I have to admit that the nostrils are very small for such a huge head having.

Moreover also what I have observed in this toy in the legs after the fifth finger (or claw) of guidraco is too small.

Moreover this figure is made in a solid plastic and soft which is appreciated to avoid abrasions. It makes a nice set but I do not have the tyrnnosaurus rex and triceratops jumbo of the same brand.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: