News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Jurassic World (Hasbro) - new for 2015

Started by EmperorDinobot, January 15, 2015, 05:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Quote from: suspsy on May 18, 2015, 03:19:34 PM
A lot of dinosaur fans appear to have some kind of blind loyalty for anything JP. Doesn't matter if the product is clearly inferior. They'll furiously defend it.
That's not it at all. It had reached the point where he was going around to every thread repeatedly bashing JW toys. It was getting on everyone's nerves. Look its fine if you don't like them, its fine if you say you don't like them, but repeatedly bashing them every chance you get when everyone already knows you don't like them is annoying and rude, and that is why many people (myself included) were angry with him at JPToys.

CityRaptor

Okay, that is annoying. No wonder they were angry.

Saw the I-Rex vs. Gyrosphere and "Pteranodon" vs. Helicopter sets today for 24,99 each. Aside from not looking good, it seems that the "Pteranodon" in that package is the size of the original JP Pteranodon. 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on May 18, 2015, 03:19:34 PM
A lot of dinosaur fans appear to have some kind of blind loyalty for anything JP. Doesn't matter if the product is clearly inferior. They'll furiously defend it.

It's the same reason a lot of the flaws in the JP-inspired Papo dinos were given a pass--they were adopted as honorary JP dinos (especially on JPToys, a forum I haven't been to in many years) while the actual JP line languished. Although it doesn't need to be said in every thread, I suppose. Unless every thread it was mentioned in was a post about how thrilled/impressed/awestruck someone was in a figure, in which case an opinion might be expected. Hence, we have one thread here to express our disappointment and, less commonly, unabashed excitement.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 18, 2015, 03:04:09 PM
It was on JPToys and I hope I'm not out of line to request that that remain an internal matter? I'm not staff on either here or on JPToys but it has caused several fights on JPToys and I don't want to see it carrying over to here as well.
Sure. I don't visit JPToys (ever) and it is not my intention to cause drama.

EmperorDinobot

Well at least there's people who can fix them. Once they hit clearance or if I find them at discount stores right around the time when Star Wars hits, I'll send them off to various locations to have them fixed. For some reason most of the dino-artists I know reside in Mexico, so I'm probably going to spend a lot of cash on s/h...

Maybe I should just customize them myself. Is there a site where I can learn how to color dinosaurs and make them look natural?

iRex

Hmm, the big Indominus is on sale on Amazon for $5 off. Don't think I can resist at that price...

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: iRex on May 18, 2015, 06:35:11 PM
Hmm, the big Indominus is on sale on Amazon for $5 off. Don't think I can resist at that price...

$29 USD? How much for s/h?

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on May 18, 2015, 06:27:27 PM
Well at least there's people who can fix them. Once they hit clearance or if I find them at discount stores right around the time when Star Wars hits, I'll send them off to various locations to have them fixed. For some reason most of the dino-artists I know reside in Mexico, so I'm probably going to spend a lot of cash on s/h...

Maybe I should just customize them myself. Is there a site where I can learn how to color dinosaurs and make them look natural?

With you on that! I'm hoping to pick up some of the non-mechanical ones when the discounts come round and maybe do some slice-n'-dice to make them into accurate, non-JP models. I'm hoping I might be able to get some species that aren't commercially available on the toy market ;)

I could provide you with a some painting tips, but I doubt it would be long before people would start to point out my own painting mistakes, as despite having done my first customs just over a year ago I haven't done much since as uni got in the way, so I'm still learning myself. There are some wonderful artists here, though, like Copper and Himapaan, and I'm sure they would be happy to give you some tips to get you started.

When it boils down to it, though, a lot depends on your painting style. Something that might work for one person needn't necessary yield the best results to another. Having said that, the technique I've found most useful for natural looking colours is drybrushing - it does great things in areas like claws and horns, and can also achieve some interesting colouring effects. For my Euoplocephalus (you can see it on my customs thread here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2392.0), I painted the armour black and then drybrushed very pale blue over the top. Immediately afterwards, I removed some of it with a dry tissue (dabbing rather than wiping). The result is a slate grey colour.

I hope this helps. :)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

EmperorDinobot

Oh wow, those are some prodigious customs!

Arul

Is that trex from the second wave ? Wow without custom it still looks great

EmperorDinobot

Nah, it's in the first wave. It's out everywhere. I'm definitely going to customize mine because it's fugly, but it has all the making of a brilliant custom. The base is there, all it needs is some botox, a cheek lift, and more.

SpartanSquat

Today I saw them in a mall and I have to say the only good one for me is the big Indominus. The others...I dont know why but I much prefferd the toys from the first movie. The quality of JW toys are very poor. I think Hasbro will make better toys for Star Wars. Also I have some Lego JW and are much better! If I want some faithfull dinosaurs like in the movie, I will wait to Papo. Probably they will release a new mosasaurus sculpt based in the movie, dimorphodon, a brontosaurus based in apatosaurus from the movie and probably an albino abelisaur similar to Indominus.

Arul

seriously ? the screw holes and articulated gap is no more well what a great custom !!

Dinomike

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on May 18, 2015, 06:45:02 AM
Quote from: SBell on May 18, 2015, 06:17:45 AM
Quote from: EmperorDinobot on May 18, 2015, 06:07:55 AM
I've been yelled at for being all negative about these toys. When I saw them in stores, my realizations were confirmed. These toys suck to an unimaginable degree.

I like the mini figures (blind bag ones). Otherwise I have to agree--they are all around NOPE

Irredeemable.

But there's hope. Samuel Martinez from the Jurassic Park: Best Collectors (Latinoamerica) group on FB made this trainwreck:

That T.rex looks grat now! Especially the lower jaw looks really good now!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Dinomike

I have the Indominus Rex vs. Gyro Sphere set and me and my kids found it to be a great toy. The screw hole side is obviously ugly but I think the I.rex toys are the ones worth getting from this line. I.rex is not a real dinosaur so anatomical issues become, in my opinion, less important. I have a lot of Kenner JP toys and they are far superior in every aspect. Still I'm enjoying some of these new offerings - I guess I'm just so excited about the movie and want to like these toys!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

I've bought a couple, but have been very selective. I agree, the hype alone is enough to push some of these on you..been finding it rough to resist myself.  The I-Rex figures are alright, screwholes aside, especially the Gyro set one as I find it goes well with the Papo Rex.  The Anky is about the best dino figure in the whole line it seems.  I did get the Stegoceratops too though...it's sort of Chaos Effect/obviously a hybrid and just weird..like a retro throwback to old B-movie dino films...lol  I don't think anyone will be paying through the nose for these figures 10-20 years from now, but for just toys you intend to play with they are okay..they do make you want to pick them up and play with them.   I'm still holding out hope that someone will be making more realistic model kits or something from the film.

suspsy

I bought the Ankylosaurus (and reviewed it) because it's the first full-sized ankylosaur in any JP line. As I noted, it has a number of problems, but it's probably the best toy out of all them. Or at least the ones in its size/price class. I have zero interest in purchasing any others.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

stargatedalek

I'll be getting the largest size Indominus at some point this week, possibly tomorrow more likely thursday. Aside from the minis I'm fairly confident it will be the only one I snatch up outside of a sale bin.

CityRaptor

You might review it for the blog then. I'm not sure if I should get an I-Rex. Or if the big one will even be avialable here in Germany to begin with. Biggest I have seen so far is the T.rex. Which is a situation very similar to JPIII where the only big one we got was the "Ultra T-Rex".

Checking Hasbro's German Wesbite they list the big one there.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

EmperorDinobot

I want a few of them.

Well ok, I want them all, but they will need serious modifications.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: