News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dippy to be Replaced

Started by dgmilner, January 29, 2015, 02:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgmilner

Dippy the Diplodocus, which has stood in the main hall of the Natural History Museum in London for many years, is to be replaced with the skeleton of a blue whale.

Ninety-two percent of respondents to an online poll are opposed to the change.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/dinosaur-forced-retire-natural-history-5061638

SBell

They should squeeze the two skeletons in there together--that would be a great display.

Takama

What will happen to the Dippy?

triceratops83

Quote from: SBell on January 29, 2015, 03:02:25 AM
They should squeeze the two skeletons in there together--that would be a great display.

Yeah, why can't they hang the whale from above?
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

stargatedalek

I'm very conflicted on this, on one hand a large sauropod display like that isn't something that you can see just anywhere,  but on the other hand whales hold a special place in my life. I suppose in the end the whale wins out for me, its just more important to teach people about the current plight of the world's cetaceans seeing as they still face so many adversities and need more public awareness. Just rrecently an entire pod of blue whales came aground not to far from where I am now.

Dinomike

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 29, 2015, 03:55:54 AM
I'm very conflicted on this, on one hand a large sauropod display like that isn't something that you can see just anywhere,  but on the other hand whales hold a special place in my life. I suppose in the end the whale wins out for me, its just more important to teach people about the current plight of the world's cetaceans seeing as they still face so many adversities and need more public awareness. Just rrecently an entire pod of blue whales came aground not to far from where I am now.

Good point! Poor whales! Maybe that's the idea all along - continue whaling etc and the only whales you will see are the ones in museums. Maybe the diplodocus, which I was honoured to see so 15+ years ago, will be displayed somewhere else? Or then there's going to be one massive ebay auction...!  :))
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

suspsy

The museum makes a good case for preserving today's fauna, but using the word "relevant" is horrid. If we start using "relevant" to determine the value of natural history exhibits, we risk a very slippery slope.

And hey, how about completely renovating your atrocious dinosaur hall, NHM?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sim

I read about this on Facebook this morning and I'm upset by it.  That Diplodocus skeleton is very impressive!  I live in London and I've been to the Natural History Museum at different points in my life.  I'm sure it's not easy to manage, although I think it could do better if maybe there was a small entrance fee and they updated some of their sections, like the dinosaur one.

Quote from: SBell on January 29, 2015, 03:02:25 AM
I agree!

HD-man

Quote from: suspsy on January 29, 2015, 12:16:16 PMThe museum makes a good case for preserving today's fauna, but using the word "relevant" is horrid. If we start using "relevant" to determine the value of natural history exhibits, we risk a very slippery slope.

I concur. Also, if they had read Sampson's Dinosaur Odyssey: Fossil Threads in the Web of Life ( http://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Odyssey-Fossil-Threads-Life/dp/0520269896 ), they'd know that dinos are more relevant now than ever b-4.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

DinoToyForum

I'm not convinced by the reason given for the proposed change. The cynic in me suspects that the real motive is to provide more floor space in the main hall for corporate events and so on. :-X Or some other logistical consideration we haven't thought of.

Derek.McManus

In the news today...the Natural History museum in London is to replace 'Dippy' the Diplodocus with a Blue whale skeleton. The sauropod model has greeted visitors for the last 35 years and been on display for over 100 years. It is proposed to replace it with a Blue whale skeleton as an example of  an animal that is still alive. The fate of the dinosaur us unclear at present it may be stored moved to another part of the museum or sent on a UK wide tour.

stargatedalek

I suppose it would give them space for events, that's a good theory. It could also give them some improved crowd control.

laticauda

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 29, 2015, 06:09:38 PM
I'm not convinced by the reason given for the proposed change. The cynic in me suspects that the real motive is to provide more floor space in the main hall for corporate events and so on. :-X Or some other logistical consideration we haven't thought of.

From what I have read, I would assume that it was for an increase in floor space.

Jetoar

I prefered Dippy in its site, the hall will be really different  :(
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Pachyrhinosaurus

I think I know the motives behind removing Dippy, however I don't see how both of them can't be in the same hall, especially since one hangs from the ceiling and the other is on the ground.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

CityRaptor

Both together should make for a spectacular display, with Dippy on the ground and the whale pulling a "Flying Seafood Special". Otherwise they could always use the skeleton of the whale for a souvenir shop:

Replacing Dippy based on "relevance" indeed seems wonky.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

amargasaurus cazaui

Forgive me for asking but I am unsure...is this the famous "cast" model sent abroad to several countries by Andrew Carnegie and actually a replica then? Or is this an actual skeletal that has been mounted? I am guessing this is a cast ?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

CityRaptor

Yes, Dippy is one of Carnegie's casts. So while not an original, it is still a historical piece.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Crackington

I'm a bit conflicted on this too, the Diplodocus is iconic and you know you've arrived when you see it, but its only been in its current position since the early 1970s. The blue whale also has a long association with the museum, although it is the giant model in the mammals hall that has the real iconic status. People queued around the block to see it when first displayed in the 1930s and it was still a draw decades later (hence the Invicta figure).

Collections should be mixed up and re-configured from time to time to keep the displays fresh; we all know that from our own dino collections. Dippy has had a good innings,but I will be sorry to see it go just the same. 

Derek.McManus

The replacement is not due to take place for at least one year possibly two, it may be relocated within the museum or it has been proposed to explore the possibility of touring the cast round various UK museums.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: