News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

tanystropheus

Quote from: Rain on May 28, 2016, 11:17:33 PM
Quote from: Takama on May 28, 2016, 11:07:23 PM
Personally from what i can gather from the photos i saw online. Rebors models are nothing more then overpriced Papo models with a low species selection.    I find it funny how none of the latest Prehistoric Times magazines has brought this company up at all. its like they are not a True Dinosaur model company. Evan Geoworld has ads in that magazine.     I contemplated buying Rebor products, but i have to be super picky with there products as I only care about the animals and not the other crap that comes with them.  Also There species selection is very uninspiring. Evan Sideshow impresses me more then Rebor with there Tupaxura and new Gastonia, Granted, i will never have the room for one of them, but If Rebor had more then just Commonly made Herbivores and household name Theropods, i would be more then willing to make room for them because there smaller then Sideshows.  That Compy Really made me think they were going to impress me, but then they show off stupid stuff like a T.Rex in a tube, and force me to buy bases for models that should of came with them in the first place.

I don't follow the Prehistoric Times magazines, but thats not how ads work lol.. Companies usually pay to have their products featured as ads. So not appearing as an advertisement doesn't mean much.

Not to mention the fact that REBOR doesn't even have a dedicated company website. They seem to be carrying momentum on their Instagram and Facebook channels.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: suspsy on May 28, 2016, 06:20:28 PM
Since I have already stated many times in the past that I will not deal with REBOR due to their repulsive behaviour, why should I have to admit it again?

Moreover, even before they started posting here and making inappropriate comments about other companies, scientific accuracy, and anyone who disagrees with them, their products were still clearly lacking. How many times must it be pointed out that their dinosaurs are little more than expensive Jurassic Park clones? That's not lifelike. That's no different from claiming that Jaws is a lifelike great white shark. Furthermore, REBOR has openly stated that they are not interested in trying to improve the accuracy of their products. They're far more concerned about being AWESOMEBRO.

If you still like their stuff, great. Have a ball. But just don't go around presuming that every single collector is going to want them. Can you do that?

Bit patronising at the end there. It can be inciting so please refrain. Thanks! C:-)

stargatedalek

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 28, 2016, 11:51:28 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on May 28, 2016, 09:30:39 PM
Quote from: Viking Spawn on May 28, 2016, 08:26:30 PM
I'm a little confused Suspsy?  I respect your opinion and have seen your reviews which seem pretty thorough.  But if you despise Rebor that much, why do you frequent this section of the forum?  Especially now that its in its own separate section?  I could understand your irritation before when there were multiple Rebor threads all over the place but now...?  If anything, I would think simply you coming here would put you in a bad mood?

Unless you're a moderator of this section?   

We've had our disagreements over models before but you were always respectful in that regard.  Just curious as to why you would frustrate yourself?  Or maybe not?  :-\
Tanystropheus has been making many such posts claiming that REBOR's products are objectively superior, and even claiming that people who don't like them are in denial. For example in the RECUR thread (but I do recall other examples in the past). Suspy's comment seemed in reference specifically to Tanystropheus attitude and claims rather than about REBOR.

I bet you can't find a single post where I state that the REBOR products are objectively superior.
You yourself even claimed to have liked a REBOR or two in your posts, but changed your stance within the past week. Generally, people who don't like the REBOR style have praised one or two models. Just an observation, and there are several, several posts to back up my statements regarding the fact that there are people on the forums that like a model or two. Not sure how you interpreted my posts to assume "that people who don't like them are in denial". I haven't stated anything more than the obvious, but for some reason or another you've been entering the uncanny valley territory.
Quote from: tanystropheus on May 25, 2016, 05:49:56 AMIs anyone else really pumped about this market of growing lifelike dinosaur products!!??
From this thread just the other day. You didn't spell it out sure but pretty clearly meant to "claim" the term lifelike in reference to your preferred art-style. I suppose I must concede that you did not claim they were superior, that was my bad, but more on this later.

I'm actually planning on purchasing the REBOR Compsognathus and Dragonfly, and in the past I considered the raptor hatchlings (passed on them in the end because of resin material) and the Dimorphodon pair (currently putting them off because later photos revealed the lack of neck musculature, hard to unsee).

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 22, 2016, 10:11:35 AM
Quote from: Albertosaurus on April 12, 2016, 02:16:47 PM
I am having a hard time to undestand how the 'eck some of you are always criticising brands like Rebor,with things like "oh god,those feet are oversized!" or "it looks skin wrapped, i'll pass" and now you are super interested in these horrible looking toys.....sometimes I wonder if this is the right community if you are looking for quality dinosaur replicas and figures...
It's called cognitive dissonance. People have limited funds. They make up all sorts of 'rules' and heuristics to convince themselves that they are not missing out (and justify their inconsistent purchasing decisions).
Quotehttps://www.google.ca/search?q=define+cognitive+dissonance&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=5i5KV9a0DuGijwT-qJrABQ
noun: cognitive dissonance
the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes, especially as relating to behavioral decisions and attitude change.
You outright accused people who didn't like REBOR of cognitive dissonance, which in context means you either called them hypocrites or meant they were in denial. It's this comment and the ones that followed (wherein you claimed someone complaining about a company was equally deserving of calling out as you calling specific people hypocrites based on what they like) that really bother me.

I'm not sure what you mean by "uncanny valley".
Quotehttps://www.google.ca/search?q=define+cognitive+dissonance&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=5i5KV9a0DuGijwT-qJrABQ#q=define+uncanny+valley
noun: uncanny valley
used in reference to the phenomenon whereby a computer-generated figure or humanoid robot bearing a near-identical resemblance to a human being arouses a sense of unease or revulsion in the person viewing it.
"anyone attempting to build a believable human facsimile also has to beware of the uncanny valley"
This definition is very specific (it can also apply to anything that looks nearly like something else, not just human-like things), but I still don't see how anything I've said applies to this.

But while thinking about it I think uncanny valley actually applies to the REBOR and PAPO style for me. I think it looks great in smaller scales, but on a large dinosaur it can be distracting and nagging to see the huge scales. I have a 1:1 water dragon (cast) on my desk next to me right now and its scales (sans the decorative facial scales) are smaller than the ones on the Papo Parasaurolophus adjacent to it.

Does this make REBOR or PAPO bad? No, it doesn't. But they certainly aren't any more deserving of being called "lifelike" than other brands are. "Lifelike" is an adjective, and adjectives are not objective.

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 29, 2016, 01:15:56 AM
I'm a little confused Suspsy?  I respect your opinion and have seen your reviews which seem pretty thorough.  But if you despise Rebor that much, why do you frequent this section of the forum?  Especially now that its in its own separate section?  I could understand your irritation before when there were multiple Rebor threads all over the place but now...?  If anything, I would think simply you coming here would put you in a bad mood?

We've had our disagreements over models before but you were always respectful in that regard.  Just curious as to why you would frustrate yourself?  Or maybe not?  :-\
Tanystropheus has been making many such posts claiming that REBOR's products are objectively superior, and even claiming that people who don't like them are in denial. For example in the RECUR thread (but I do recall other examples in the past). Suspy's comment seemed in reference specifically to Tanystropheus attitude and claims rather than about REBOR.

I bet you can't find a single post where I state that the REBOR products are objectively superior.
You yourself even claimed to have liked a REBOR or two in your posts, but changed your stance within the past week. Generally, people who don't like the REBOR style have praised one or two models. Just an observation, and there are several, several posts to back up my statements regarding the fact that there are people on the forums that like a model or two. Not sure how you interpreted my posts to assume "that people who don't like them are in denial". I haven't stated anything more than the obvious, but for some reason or another you've been entering the uncanny valley territory.
Quote from: tanystropheus on May 25, 2016, 05:49:56 AMIs anyone else really pumped about this market of growing lifelike dinosaur products!!??
From this thread just the other day. You didn't spell it out sure but pretty clearly meant to "claim" the term lifelike in reference to your preferred art-style. I suppose I must concede that you did not claim they were superior, that was my bad, but more on this later.

I'm actually planning on purchasing the REBOR Compsognathus and Dragonfly, and in the past I considered the raptor hatchlings (passed on them in the end because of resin material) and the Dimorphodon pair (currently putting them off because later photos revealed the lack of neck musculature, hard to unsee).

The term, 'Lifelike' was in vogue at DTF years before you've arrived at the scene. It's not my fault that you didn't receive the memo. Plus, I didn't coin the term. For reference, consider the thread: Most Life-Like/Realistic Prehistoric Figures from the Version 1 Archive

http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/4834/most-life-realistic-prehistoric-figures

tanystropheus

Quote from: Albertosaurus on April 12, 2016, 02:16:47 PM
I am having a hard time to undestand how the 'eck some of you are always criticising brands like Rebor,with things like "oh god,those feet are oversized!" or "it looks skin wrapped, i'll pass" and now you are super interested in these horrible looking toys.....sometimes I wonder if this is the right community if you are looking for quality dinosaur replicas and figures...
It's called cognitive dissonance. People have limited funds. They make up all sorts of 'rules' and heuristics to convince themselves that they are not missing out (and justify their inconsistent purchasing decisions).
Quotehttps://www.google.ca/search?q=define+cognitive+dissonance&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=5i5KV9a0DuGijwT-qJrABQ
noun: cognitive dissonance
the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes, especially as relating to behavioral decisions and attitude change.
You outright accused people who didn't like REBOR of cognitive dissonance, which in context means you either called them hypocrites or meant they were in denial. It's this comment and the ones that followed (wherein you claimed someone complaining about a company was equally deserving of calling out as you calling specific people hypocrites based on what they like) that really bother me.

Not sure what you are talking about here. I referred to cognitive dissonance several times throughout the years with respect to individual collecting styles. Cognitive Dissonance can be used as a heuristic tool to dictate the overall quality and/or quantity of one's collection (a bottleneck or a pragmatic limiting factor). Humans, in general, are known to 'cherry pick'. It is the very reason that we gravitate towards select political (or the lack thereof), religious (or the lack thereof), philosophical (or the lack thereof) or artistic (or the lack thereof) modes of thought. We tend to absorb ideas into our schematic (adaptive or static) frameworks. We have to remember that the nature of personality is not fixed. Our statements from a few years ago will fail to match with our current statements. It is only an assumption that we are consistent in our methodology. In actuality, there are many loopholes in the way we envision things. Thus, in a sense, you could argue that Homo Sapien Sapiens are all hypocritical (in varying degrees).

stargatedalek

Not sure what you are talking about here. I referred to cognitive dissonance several times throughout the years with respect to individual collecting styles. Cognitive Dissonance can be used as a heuristic tool to dictate the overall quality and/or quantity of one's collection (a bottleneck or a pragmatic limiting factor). Humans, in general, are known to 'cherry pick'. It is the very reason that we gravitate towards select political (or the lack thereof), religious (or the lack thereof), philosophical (or the lack thereof) or artistic (or the lack thereof) modes of thought. We tend to absorb ideas into our schematic (adaptive or static) frameworks. We have to remember that the nature of personality is not fixed. Our statements from a few years ago will fail to match with our current statements. It is only an assumption that we are consistent in our methodology. In actuality, there are many loopholes in the way we envision things. Thus, in a sense, you could argue that Homo Sapien Sapiens are all hypocritical (in varying degrees).
While a very interesting point, the way you said it was very misleading at the time. I draw attention to where you claimed people who didn't like REBOR were "missing out".

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 29, 2016, 02:06:45 AMThe term, 'Lifelike' was in vogue at DTF years before you've arrived at the scene. It's not my fault that you didn't receive the memo. Plus, I didn't coin the term. For reference, consider the thread: Most Life-Like/Realistic Prehistoric Figures from the Version 1 Archive

http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/4834/most-life-realistic-prehistoric-figures

That thread only further emphasizes my point that the description is arbitrary. Did you read the list of figures in the OP?

In closing I'll just reiterate that:
Quote"Lifelike" is an adjective, and adjectives are not objective.

Silvanusaurus

But while thinking about it I think uncanny valley actually applies to the REBOR and PAPO style for me. I think it looks great in smaller scales, but on a large dinosaur it can be distracting and nagging to see the huge scales. I have a 1:1 water dragon (cast) on my desk next to me right now and its scales (sans the decorative facial scales) are smaller than the ones on the Papo Parasaurolophus adjacent to it.

Does this make REBOR or PAPO bad? No, it doesn't. But they certainly aren't any more deserving of being called "lifelike" than other brands are. "Lifelike" is an adjective, and adjectives are not objective.

I think the reference to 'uncanny valley' hits the nail on the head in describing the main problem I have with most of Rebor's figures; they have a superficial level of detail that implies a 'life-like' aesthetic, yet it's made incongruous by their use of stylized proportions and designs that are too cliched and artificial to belong to believable living animals, so you end up with something that can look 'wrong' and uncanny, some people will notice this much more than others so it isn't a universal problem. I notice it with almost everything they are producing, I don't think it makes their figures bad, but I don't think I have ever seen one I would describe as 'life-like' because they don't look like animals that I believe would be alive in the real world.

A high level of detail doesn't result in something being life-like, as evidenced by some of Schleich's figures which possess quite impressive levels of sculpting detail despite an overall cartoony appearance. In fact, I believe a dinosaur figure with far less detail than Rebor's could definitely be far more life-like. I know this will likely be a controversial thing to say, but I honestly don't think Rebor is ultimately much further ahead of Schleich in terms of positive progression in the field of dinosaur figures and toys. They may be higher quality, and designed with an advanced level of finesse, but they arent much more convincing to me as authentic representations of dinosaurs, and so I would say I don't find their emergence to be particularly exciting at all. They are fine and I don't really mind them, I've found one or two of their models appealing.
But I do think they have the resources and the skills to create products infinitely better and more interesting than those that they do, and I think it's a great shame that they don't, but I have hope that they may potentially move in a different direction in the future, which is why despite my reservations I am still interesting in keeping up with their section of the forum. I think I've come to appreciate both why some people love them and why some hate them, and I wouldn't be emotionally invested enough to argue against either stance with a great degree of passion.

I do want to say that I feel perhaps the use of terms such as 'life-like' in reference to these figures serves to encourage a view of dinosaurs that should be widely recognised as a romanticised myth; of creatures that have only ever existed through artistic license. Theres nothing wrong with liking that view, but it plays a large part in holding these representations back from being believable or 'true' to their source. This does somewhat of an injustice to the true wonder of nature, and the true nature of the real animals that were once very much alive, which I think I would not be alone in saying; are rendered much more enchanting to my imagination by the very fact of their reality. And so I will always be more drawn to figures that do appear to be truly 'life-like' (though of-course, the definition of that life-likeness may change considerably with the passage of time, and will always be debatable in one way or another).

tanystropheus

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on May 29, 2016, 04:16:18 PM

But I do think they have the resources and the skills to create products infinitely better and more interesting than those that they do, and I think it's a great shame that they don't, but I have hope that they may potentially move in a different direction in the future, which is why despite my reservations I am still interesting in keeping up with their section of the forum. I think I've come to appreciate both why some people love them and why some hate them, and I wouldn't be emotionally invested enough to argue against either stance with a great degree of passion.

This is probably one of the reasons people root for REBOR. It is their potential to make products infinitely better. Papo's overall product improved tremendously when they stepped out of their comfort zone (e.g. JP style) and attempted something new (e.g. Sideshow style).

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 29, 2016, 03:33:54 AM

That thread only further emphasizes my point that the description is arbitrary. Did you read the list of figures in the OP?

In closing I'll just reiterate that:
Quote"Lifelike" is an adjective, and adjectives are not objective.

Yeah, the definition is 'subjective'. I did find the list of figures to be useful.  I found the Carnegie Beipiaosaurus to be 'lifelike' in its demeanor/expression.

stargatedalek

I was about to order the Compsognathus with dragonfly from BBTS but they want a whopping $30 to ship to Canada. Does anyone know of another REBOR retailer that actually offers snailmail? I'm just not willing to shell out $50 on a $20 figure no matter how much faster it arrives.

Rain

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 05, 2016, 02:19:02 PM
I was about to order the Compsognathus with dragonfly from BBTS but they want a whopping $30 to ship to Canada. Does anyone know of another REBOR retailer that actually offers snailmail? I'm just not willing to shell out $50 on a $20 figure no matter how much faster it arrives.

They don't have it in stock yet but try MiniZoo or Everything Dinosaur. Their shipping prices are quite reasonable.

Shadowknight1

One of the downsides to BBTS.  They have great offerings and prices, but they typically only have one option for shipping, so it can end up a little pricier.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

amargasaurus cazaui

Not sure the cost factor and how it all weighs out Star, but you are always welcome to send to me and I can send it from here to you, via the cheapest possible way. I doubt it would serve any purpose, but I am here if needed
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

stargatedalek

Quote from: Rain on June 05, 2016, 03:06:40 PM

They don't have it in stock yet but try MiniZoo or Everything Dinosaur. Their shipping prices are quite reasonable.
I've ordered from them before, that's probably what I'll do thanks.

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 05, 2016, 07:59:32 PM
Not sure the cost factor and how it all weighs out Star, but you are always welcome to send to me and I can send it from here to you, via the cheapest possible way. I doubt it would serve any purpose, but I am here if needed
Thanks for the offer, but it will probably be easier for everyone (and more cost effective) to wait until they're officially in stock. Since I'm getting the Sentry it shouldn't matter it isn't a pre-order.

Everything_Dinosaur

If you want to enquire about any Rebor figure simply email Everything Dinosaur at Email Everything Dinosaur and let us know your destination country and we can email you back with shipping estimates and so forth.  You can reserve any figure (at no obligation) we just email you when the Rebor stock comes in (no need to preorder).  The next four Rebor models Stan, Breeze, Sentry and Bad Company due to arrive week commencing 13th June.

Hope this helps.

Megalosaurus

All my Rebor's come from EverythingDinosaur. They have the best price and razonable shipping.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Rain

Rebor just confirmed a Carnotaurus

kreativtek

As a lifelong fan of Carnotaurus I cannot say that I am excited about this model. It looks almost exactly like Papo's Carno, with its muscular body, short, bull-like horns, and spikes on the back. But we'll see. Perhaps I am wrong!

Dobber

The pose is completely different though. Papo's had the head down posture that the SS statue had.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: