News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pylraster

I've read the whole thing, and the Austin fellow's reaction was too much. Rebor was quite immature with their response. Seems the rep hasn't been replaced or anything.

suspsy

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 16, 2016, 04:30:04 AM
You weren't here back when REBOR used to actively post. They repeatedly made fun of slight grammar mistakes of anyone who disliked their products, insulted the competitors products, and more recently on their Facebook incited their fans to flame anyone who publicly disliked them or their products, cursed at and teased would be customers, and made absolutely disgusting excuses for serious quality control problems.

Specifically, they insulted both CollectA and Safari Ltd. They even posted a closeup photo of the WS Acrocanthosaurus and ridiculed Doug Watson's skill, claiming that no one could ever possibly prefer that toy to their upcoming (at the time) version.

QuoteAnd for the record some members on here have in fact questioned the morality of Papos JP clones. I seem to recall Universal suing them at some point and loosing on some ridiculous grounds like the designs being scientifically plausible or some such nonsense.

Did they really? When did that happen?

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 16, 2016, 04:17:42 AM
Hmm...at least REBOR posts criticisms. A lot of folks these days censor the opposition.

Or they simply take the professional route and ignore such attacks. There's no justifying what they've done here.

QuoteAlso, I thought it was weirdly humble for REBOR to claim that Papo is the superior company.

They were clearly being facetious.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Derek.McManus

I think Rebor acted very unprofessional way in this case, especially considering the age of the person involved.

The Atroxious

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on September 16, 2016, 05:47:43 AM
Honestly, I treat Rebor like I do Walmart.  They may have a product I like, so I'll buy it, even if I dislike the company.  I'm happy with my Acro and my JP raptor, slightly less so with my Utahraptor, but overall not enough to raise **** about it.  For now.

Makes sense. I only refuse to buy from a company if they actively support or engage in discrimination or blatantly unethical practices (there are some cases where there's not much choice, however, but that's a bit different from the issue of dinosaur toys and big box stores). If the product is good enough, I'll look the other way when it comes to some dubious behavior, though I'll still show preference for other businesses.

In this case, most of what Rebor has released doesn't impress me enough to make a purchase, regardless of their ethics, so I don't bother. I do think their Acro and Ceratosaurus are decent, and their standing Dimorphodon is quite nice. I might have bought the Dimorphodon had I seen it in person, but it's not really the sort of thing I'd order online so much as an impulse buy of a cool toy.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 16, 2016, 09:18:25 AM
I think they implied once that they were going to sue me (or take me to court, as we'd say in the UK) because I said that their Yutyrannus was heavily influenced by the Papo Allosaurus. Hilarious, considering most of their figures are shameless copies of Jurassic Park designs.

Methinks they do not understand how the legal system works.

Flaffy

Rebor mentioned that they have a diplocaulus planned, that might be the only Rebor figure I'll be actually purchasing.
Other than that, unless the make a decent figure of a really obscure species, I will not be supporting Rebor.

Derek.McManus

I have purchased three of their products, all small, one for me two as gifts for a friends children. I consider their products on a case to case basis same as every other company and buy what I like the look of.

stargatedalek

Quote from: suspsy on September 16, 2016, 11:57:09 AM

Quote from: stargatedalekAnd for the record some members on here have in fact questioned the morality of Papos JP clones. I seem to recall Universal suing them at some point and loosing on some ridiculous grounds like the designs being scientifically plausible or some such nonsense.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any news articles about the suit, but I recall hearing about it on here after I posted a photo of some Animal Planet licensed Geoworld bootlegs with Papo figures on the package.

Dilopho

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 16, 2016, 04:48:19 PM
Unfortunately I couldn't find any news articles about the suit, but I recall hearing about it on here after I posted a photo of some Animal Planet licensed Geoworld bootlegs with Papo figures on the package.
[/quote]
That was an adventure to read.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: suspsy on September 16, 2016, 11:57:09 AM
Specifically, they insulted both CollectA and Safari Ltd. They even posted a closeup photo of the WS Acrocanthosaurus and ridiculed Doug Watson's skill, claiming that no one could ever possibly prefer that toy to their upcoming (at the time) version.
Ooff, that's mean.  I have both, and my favorite Acro is the Rebor(for now, that depends on how Papo's turns out!).  But I still like the Wild Safari one and it's still displayed with my collection.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

tyrantqueen

Is it fair to say that the DTF forum and Rebor don't get along?

DinoLord

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 17, 2016, 02:00:52 AM

I guess, though I don't see Rebor as the amiable type. I remember when they first posted on this forum around two years ago - heck I think I was even the first one to respond to their first thread! If I remember correctly the initial comments from members were pretty mild-mannered, but things eventually blew up as Rebor's rep began getting defensive.

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 16, 2016, 09:18:25 AM
QuoteYou weren't here back when REBOR used to actively post. They repeatedly made fun of slight grammar mistakes of anyone who disliked their products, insulted the competitors products, and more recently on their Facebook incited their fans to flame anyone who publicly disliked them or their products, cursed at and teased would be customers, and made absolutely disgusting excuses for serious quality control problems.

I think they implied once that they were going to sue me (or take me to court, as we'd say in the UK) because I said that their Yutyrannus was heavily influenced by the Papo Allosaurus. Hilarious, considering most of their figures are shameless copies of Jurassic Park designs.

but, it's quite obvious that the Y-rex is inspired by the Papo Allosaurus! Also, as far as I can tell, they look up to Papo for inspiration.

stargatedalek

Quote from: DinoLord on September 17, 2016, 02:05:17 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 17, 2016, 02:00:52 AM

I guess, though I don't see Rebor as the amiable type. I remember when they first posted on this forum around two years ago - heck I think I was even the first one to respond to their first thread! If I remember correctly the initial comments from members were pretty mild-mannered, but things eventually blew up as Rebor's rep began getting defensive.
Yes the initial responses were courteous and intended to be helpful in nature, to set REBOR on the straight and narrow as opposed to their lofty claims. But they almost immediately started belittling people and bringing up semantic excuses for their claims.

empire3569

The current brawl on their fb page is getting a bit out of hand it seems.... and they pinned the post to the top of their page. Classy

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: pylraster on September 16, 2016, 09:42:09 AM
I've read the whole thing, and the Austin fellow's reaction was too much. Rebor was quite immature with their response. Seems the rep hasn't been replaced or anything.

For all we know the rep might be one of the owners. Seems like it's a pretty small group of people.

Flaffy

To forum members who don't mind foul language, here is a link to demonstrate how childish Rebor is as a company.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=167651427008998&set=p.167651427008998&type=3&theater

Silvanusaurus

Are we certain that Rebor isn't a bunch of 15 year olds who've gotten in way over their heads?

Derek.McManus

That current discussion is getting out of hand as far as I'm concerned. Regarding Rebor I would be really interested in finding out more about the actual people / personalities involved.

The Atroxious

Quote from: Derek.McManus on September 17, 2016, 11:02:49 AM
That current discussion is getting out of hand as far as I'm concerned. Regarding Rebor I would be really interested in finding out more about the actual people / personalities involved.

Is there more to the discussion that I'm not seeing? I go over to Rebor's Facebook page, and all I see is that one reply to the angry kid. I don't see any discussion, nor anything getting out of hand. The page doesn't seem to have anything new compared to when I first clicked the link.

Also, I too am interested in the Rebor staff. They don't seem to act like your average trolls so much as people who are under a lot of stress and because of that become unnecessarily combative. It's like they're burnt out or frustrated by something (maybe the PR people can't stand being PR people?) and are acting it out in an incredibly unproductive way. Of course, this is all just baseless speculation. I'd be interested to read a blog by the Rebor staff to get a better idea of what's going on behind the screens.

Derek.McManus

As a parent albeit one not involved with either party I would have questions to ask about the conversation.

I genuinely feel that I would be interested in finding out more about Rebor, the company, the personalities and the design process.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: