News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

Halloween it is! How fitting to announce something fun and completely different from what we've been doing so far-introducing REBOR Memenosaurus Rexy-chan in T Rex costume with interchangeable parts!

Yeah some people are probably going to say"REBOR what are you doing give us more dinosaurs" but come on guys first we are a collectables company rather than a dinosaur toy company so please forgive us for wanting to make all kinds of interesting stuff; second it's a concept design and we are only putting it up here today to celebrate Halloween, we haven't actually decided to make it into an actual figure and will not force you to buy it so just enjoy the free content for now. Plus as Otakus we are we totally need to produce some moe characters/waifu material for anime lovers out there too don't we

Have a safe and fun Halloween guys! Trick or treat!
https://m.facebook.com/reborstudio/photos/a.555150811278598/3252168444910141/?type=3&source=48

Ugh...

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Loon on November 01, 2020, 05:52:54 PM
Halloween it is! How fitting to announce something fun and completely different from what we've been doing so far-introducing REBOR Memenosaurus Rexy-chan in T Rex costume with interchangeable parts!

Yeah some people are probably going to say"REBOR what are you doing give us more dinosaurs" but come on guys first we are a collectables company rather than a dinosaur toy company so please forgive us for wanting to make all kinds of interesting stuff; second it's a concept design and we are only putting it up here today to celebrate Halloween, we haven't actually decided to make it into an actual figure and will not force you to buy it so just enjoy the free content for now. Plus as Otakus we are we totally need to produce some moe characters/waifu material for anime lovers out there too don't we

Have a safe and fun Halloween guys! Trick or treat!
https://m.facebook.com/reborstudio/photos/a.555150811278598/3252168444910141/?type=3&source=48

Ugh...
I usually like when Rebor does strange stuff but this is really cringe
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Stegotyranno420

Oh god i hate this kind of stuff. Its like insects, they are everywhere, and they are annoying as hell!

suspsy

Well, it's not like Rebor is famous for having good taste.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

stargatedalek

Quote from: Stegotyranno on November 01, 2020, 10:09:42 PM
Oh god i hate this kind of stuff. Its like insects, they are everywhere, and they are annoying as hell!
Quote from: suspsy on November 01, 2020, 10:21:52 PM
Oi! We anime types aren't all as bad as this lot. Besides, you both seem to have a soft spot for JP, so we all have some interests overlapping with those of REBOR somewhere. >:D ;)

That design is ultimately pretty bad, hard to do a chibi version of a character that isn't a pre-existing character. Figures like this tend to do well because they're licensed, have articulation, or even due to interchangeability with other brands in the same style and scale. REBOR are likely in for an unpleasant surprise, either in failing to meet expectations, or in difficulties to achieving the expected quality control for that degree of articulation.

Loon

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 02, 2020, 12:33:45 AM
Oi! We anime types aren't all as bad as this lot. Besides, you both seem to have a soft spot for JP, so we all have some interests overlapping with those of REBOR somewhere. >:D ;)

That design is ultimately pretty bad, hard to do a chibi version of a character that isn't a pre-existing character. Figures like this tend to do well because they're licensed, have articulation, or even due to interchangeability with other brands in the same style and scale. REBOR are likely in for an unpleasant surprise, either in failing to meet expectations, or in difficulties to achieving the expected quality control for that degree of articulation.

I'm not all that into anime, but I am familiar with the types of figures people buy based on them. Stuff like Figuarts and Figma are far more detailed and articulated in a way even more experienced western companies sometimes fail to compete with. I'm guessing this is going for the Nendoroid market, which my sister owns a few of. Even then, those figures are of a quality and design style far superior to what rebor tends to put out.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Loon on November 02, 2020, 12:39:35 AM
I'm not all that into anime, but I am familiar with the types of figures people buy based on them. Stuff like Figuarts and Figma are far more detailed and articulated in a way even more experienced western companies sometimes fail to compete with. I'm guessing this is going for the Nendoroid market, which my sister owns a few of. Even then, those figures are of a quality and design style far superior to what rebor tends to put out.
That would be my assumption too. Nendoroids are from the same manufacturer as Figma (Good Smile), though they are typically viewed more as novelty collectibles while Figma are more akin to high end action figures.

I could see appeal to a costume like this if it was designed to be compatible with Nendoroids, I'm sure there are a decent chunk of people who might buy one to put another characters parts on it so they can wear the costume. But at the same time I find it hard to picture REBOR pulling that off.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Stolpergeist on November 02, 2020, 12:40:55 AM

Those inflatable T. rex suits?
Because I hate those too.  :P
Ever since 2015 everywhere, they are the new lycra for funnyperson influencers.
No I mean anime

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Stolpergeist on November 02, 2020, 02:07:22 AM
The figure looks pretty inanimate to me, not much animation to speak of.
Sorry to confuse you, i mean the wierd artstyle i see everyday on the internet by accident, which i have to peform mental eye surgery on, and then i conduct religious and Saurian rituals to help me remove those images from my mind

suspsy

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 02, 2020, 12:33:45 AM

I do? Nnnnnnnnnot really. I mean, I loved the first two films back in the day, but the other three are absolute garbage as far as I'm concerned. And I've grown so fed up with the negative influence of the JP franchise in terms of how the public perceives dinosaurs that I can't even enjoy watching the first two films anymore.

That said, I do firmly believe that Mattel has done a tremendous job of handling the license. They didn't simply surpass Hasbro, which wasn't a difficult accomplishment; they really knocked that ball out of the park. You'll never see me buying a T. rex or a Velociraptor from them, but so far I've bought six of their toys for my son's collection, and we both enjoy playing with them. I just wish the damn Tarbosaurus would show up in Canada so that I can get it for my niece as a Xmas gift.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Stegotyranno420

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek  im kinda with avatar_suspsy @suspsy  on this too. Altough the only difference is that i like all of the Jp movie,  i have never brought a mattel toy.
But i really hate how people call me stupid when i say a velociraptor has feathers and doesnt sound like a baby crocodile coughing, or when i say indominus rex  isnt  real. I rather have accurate or diverse dinosaurs than jp ones, which is why i prefer papo over nanmu, because atleast they are a little more creative and interesting, and it was just the very few first figures that were jp inspired. Sure, the killer queen models are cool, but i rather have, say, that spinosaurus they never realeased.

Carnoking

I honestly don't care if REBOR decides to start making stuff like this, it'd certainly give my wallet a break since I have 0 interest in it. That being said, really wish they would commit to finishing previously announced projects before going off the rails like this.

Bread

Quote from: Carnoking on November 02, 2020, 03:13:45 AM
I honestly don't care if REBOR decides to start making stuff like this, it'd certainly give my wallet a break since I have 0 interest in it. That being said, really wish they would commit to finishing previously announced projects before going off the rails like this.
This right here ^ I have been waiting for Rebor to commit to projects they have announced. I assume their King Triceratops was cancelled, someone can fill me in on that or its just all assumptions. Still waiting for their Spinosaurus reveal, whether it be their Grab and Go line or the Jurassic Park 3 Spinosaurus. Instead they make this new thing, which no doubt their fans will buy it. However I never see a figure as a bad one, someone else will always appreciate and value it.  I just wish they would stick to announced future products.

Carnoking

Quote from: Bread on November 02, 2020, 03:48:43 AM
This right here ^ I have been waiting for Rebor to commit to projects they have announced. I assume their King Triceratops was cancelled, someone can fill me in on that or its just all assumptions. Still waiting for their Spinosaurus reveal, whether it be their Grab and Go line or the Jurassic Park 3 Spinosaurus. Instead they make this new thing, which no doubt their fans will buy it. However I never see a figure as a bad one, someone else will always appreciate and value it.  I just wish they would stick to announced future products.

Bear in mind, this is all hearsay, but when asked by a fan on a recent Facebook post, REBOR said they currently do not have any interest in finishing King Trident because "trikes are boring". Obviously dumb comment aside, personally, I do not interpret that as them outright canceling the product. Based on what we've seen of the figure, it appears they have made a mold of the model and have done test castings. This is an expensive and time consuming process, and to cancel a sculpt after a mold has been created would be a questionable business move on REBOR's part. This is especially true since it is such a long awaited addition of a popular species with guaranteed returns. I think they are once again shoving Trident to the back burner while they focus on other projects, and will be releasing him when they realize they can't go forward without first seeing some returns on old assets. And perhaps the comment was just them trying to get a rise out of people, they could have full intentions of releasing him shortly with some fresh buzz to bolster his arrival

As far as the Spinosaurus goes, I believe they did cancel their JP3 inspired Spinosaurus after Nanmu hit the scene. They've been sharing a lot of photos with the Nanmu Spinosaurus standing over their dead rex model, and have said something along the lines of how they don't need to produce one since someone else already has. A weird statement coming from a company who makes dozens of JP inspired models that other companies have already done, but yeah, I do think that's one they've abandoned for now. In a similar vein, I believe the GnG spinosaurus with the JP3 inspired paint job has also been canceled. Or maybe it was the papo inspired paint job. Either way, I recall reading somewhere that one of the four schemes will not be produces. As far as the other 3 go, I believe I saw them say it will be available early next year. Knowing REBOR this could mean anywhere from January to March or later. When asked if they would be taking time to re-sculpt the tail to reflect the latest findings, their answer was a resounding NO to put it politely. Again, molds have been made of that figure and paint tests have been done so I don't see them canceling it or changing it at this point. Just gotta wait while they do other stuff I guess.

They really do lack focus. I think it's really cool to see their progress as they produce models, I can't think of another company that gives us as much of a glimpse behind the curtain as REBOR does, but it's a double edged sword indeed. The frequent updates work to wet our appetite for what they're cooking up, and I'm sure that leads many buyers to pull the trigger on a new offering just as soon as it goes up for pre-sale, but a lot of other people might just give up hope, lose interest, or find something else to buy during the long wait. I'm sure this costs REBOR some profits, which is especially worrisome for a company not known for big returns. I would love for them to go the route of other companies and only release images of products that are ready. They could still tease us leading up to the shelf date and show us all the work that goes into the figure after it's been released, but this pattern of promising new products that just sort of fall to the wayside never to be mentioned again is stressful for people who are looking forward to these unique models. Personally, I'm anxious over their upcoming Carnotaurus, I can't remember the last time I was this excited for a model, but it's been months since we've heard anything about it, and I'm starting to get antsy.

PumperKrickel

Quote from: Bread on November 02, 2020, 03:48:43 AM

Okay, but it´s just a 3D model one of their designers made, it has zero influence on the production of other figures.

Shonisaurus

Honestly, by not marketing the triceratops and spinosaurus that brand loses a lot. They would have a buyer's insurance, as long as said figures were acceptably good as their predecessors ankylosaurus, stegosaurus and tyrannosaurus rex to give a few examples.

In my case, I am not going to buy the tyrannosaurus figures from the Grab and Go series and I can say the same about their spinosaurus. They are beautiful figures but a bit big for the standard of preferences that I have as a collector, the same can be said for their dilophosaurus, Komodo dragon and the tyrannosaurus and velociraptor fetuses. I prefer to wait to buy their smilodon, ekrixinatosaurus and carnotaurus (in case they come out), regarding the Compsognathus in their two color versions, I honestly will not buy them even though they are very famous among collectors and even if they are figures limited. I'm not passionate about that compsognathus with that wooden box that looks like a dead man's sarcophagus, I don't find it interesting even though it is very well sculpted and I know it's an unpopular opinion among DTF members, but from my humble point of understanding I like them plus dinosaurs or prehistoric creatures even if they are based on JW / JP creatures that do not come with added "utensils" such as wooden containers or display cases. I don't know why but those things don't convince me.

Dinoxels

Quote from: Carnoking on November 02, 2020, 03:13:45 AM
Completely agree. They have a backlog of stuff they need to release.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Bread

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking Thank you for the info on the triceratops and spinosaurus. I had no idea about their comment on Triceratops. I also completely agree with everything you said.

P @PumperKrickel Yes you are right, but in a way it does influence their level of production. It distracts them from other figures being released that fans have been wanting. No hate towards this figure, but it is somewhat disappointing that they release a figure like this out of no where and disregard all other projects they have been announced in the past.

MLMjp

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 02, 2020, 01:00:47 AM
Quote from: Loon on November 02, 2020, 12:39:35 AM
That would be my assumption too. Nendoroids are from the same manufacturer as Figma (Good Smile), though they are typically viewed more as novelty collectibles while Figma are more akin to high end action figures.

I could see appeal to a costume like this if it was designed to be compatible with Nendoroids, I'm sure there are a decent chunk of people who might buy one to put another characters parts on it so they can wear the costume. But at the same time I find it hard to picture REBOR pulling that off.

As a dinosaur and anime fan who would like to see more presence of dinosaurs in anime...I dont know what to think honestly....

I do think it is and interesting concept, if Good Smile Company made a Nendoroid like this I may buy it. But REBOR? Ehhhhhhh...

Quote from: Stegotyranno on November 02, 2020, 01:58:21 AM
No I mean anime
Be careful with your words Stegotyranno... Or I will go after you C:-)

PumperKrickel

Quote from: Bread on November 02, 2020, 02:30:08 PM
No hate towards this figure, but it is somewhat disappointing that they release a figure like this out of no where and disregard all other projects they have been announced in the past.

Quote from: Loon on November 01, 2020, 05:52:54 PM
...it's a concept design and we are only putting it up here today to celebrate Halloween, we haven't actually decided to make it into an actual figure...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: