News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

The Kaiyodo version is very shrink wrapped, which makes its neck appear longer than it is.

Shadowknight1

AHEM.  Back to REBOR.  The Acrocanthosaurus's only inaccuracies that I see are slightly oversized feet and the JPT-rex like crest above the eyes.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

suspsy

Meh. The REBOR Acrocanthosaurus looks good, but if you'd told me it was a Papo product, I'd have believed it.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Arul

Quote from: suspsy on April 04, 2015, 02:24:46 AM
Meh. The REBOR Acrocanthosaurus looks good, but if you'd told me it was a Papo product, I'd have believed it.

Hahaha how could it be suspsy  :))

Dinosaurana

The Acro's feet bother me. Like, they still seem oddly proportioned compared to the rest of the body. I'll wait final judgement for the photos, but I think I'm gonna pass.

I still haven't purchased one of their products yet, but the only one to catch my eye was Ceratosaurus. Anyone have good photos of that one? Or has it been released yet?

Shadowknight1

I hope the paint scheme and base will be what would set it apart from Papo.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 04, 2015, 02:40:03 AM

Did I miss something? Is there a Papo Acrocanthosaurus in the works?  :o

Shadowknight1

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 04, 2015, 02:44:50 AM
Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 04, 2015, 02:40:03 AM

Did I miss something? Is there a Papo Acrocanthosaurus in the works?  :o
No, but I mean it shsould look a bit different from a Papo when it's painted.

Dyscrasia

With all the accuracy issues, previous dramas and controversies aside,

in terms of sculptural detail, I'd say that Rebor and Papo on are pretty much on par with each other (atleast imho).

But I do consider that Rebor is superior in maintaining quality control on their production pieces.

At least the Rebor products are as good as what they look like in the stock photos.

joossa

Quote from: Dino Master on April 04, 2015, 02:37:19 AM
I still haven't purchased one of their products yet, but the only one to catch my eye was Ceratosaurus. Anyone have good photos of that one? Or has it been released yet?
Not yet. It's due to be out later this month. All we have for now are the handful of stock photos. I've got mine pre-ordered.

Can't wait for the color shots of the Acro. Very eagerly awaiting it. I'm really hoping Papo makes a Giganotosaurus next year. Having all the Papo and Rebor theropods on one shelf would be a riot. A spinosaurus that's more scientifically on point than the Papo one from Rebor... that would be very nice too.  >:D
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: joossa on April 04, 2015, 07:55:09 AM
Quote from: Dino Master on April 04, 2015, 02:37:19 AM
Not yet. It's due to be out later this month. All we have for now are the handful of stock photos. I've got mine pre-ordered.

Can't wait for the color shots of the Acro. Very eagerly awaiting it. I'm really hoping Papo makes a Giganotosaurus next year. Having all the Papo and Rebor theropods on one shelf would be a riot. A spinosaurus that's more scientifically on point than the Papo one from Rebor... that would be very nice too.  >:D
Just an idea to ponder but I would suggest if Rebor were to make a spinosaurus, it would be the last figure you will see from them. They for whatever reason , have already created an element of controversy, and questionable accuracy as well as perhaps not the best marketing strategies for themselves. To then attempt a dinosaur already mired in so much debate, is asking for trouble. When you view the various topics related to spinosaurus either here or on facebook, you can quickly determine that people have very invested ideas about the new reconstruction vs old, and it is already a battleground. They might wish to consider closely for attempting this...
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

postsaurischian

Quote from: Dyscrasia on April 04, 2015, 06:44:43 AM
But I do consider that Rebor is superior in maintaining quality control on their production pieces.

If REBOR had a well-functioning quality control, they would have built up their Utahraptor and would have waited for about 15 minutes ;).
Then they would have seen that something about the material they're using isn't right.
So either they didn't have the 15 minutes or they didn't care. Both cases aren't indicative that they're superior in maintaining quality control on their production pieces.

Shonisaurus

For me Acrocanthosaurus of Rebor is a fantastic figure, perhaps the only issue is as asserted feet and legs. But honestly if it comes to market I will not hesitate to buy it.

I understand it is a wonderful figure.

Arul

When the cerato will available to order ?

ddidiodion

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 04, 2015, 10:02:05 AM

If REBOR had a well-functioning quality control, they would have built up their Utahraptor and would have waited for about 15 minutes ;).
Then they would have seen that something about the material their using isn't right.
So either they didn't have the 15 minutes or they didn't care. Both cases aren't indicative that they're superior in maintaining quality control on their production pieces.

That's more of a systematic fault (although arguably worse), I think he means the quality and consistency of the models. For whatever reason, the only Papo figure I've seen in the flesh that is consistently spot on is the Allosaurus which REBOR doesn't suffer from. Probably down to the fact they have a higher price point so have a more limited run.

Dyscrasia

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 04, 2015, 10:02:05 AM

Then they would have seen that something about the material their using isn't right.

I should have been more specific. I meant the quality of the paint apps and crisp details of the sculpts of the production pieces. I don't have the Utahraptor yet, but the ones I have do look pretty fantastic in person.  ;D

Sim

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 04, 2015, 02:13:00 AM
AHEM.  Back to REBOR.  The Acrocanthosaurus's only inaccuracies that I see are slightly oversized feet and the JPT-rex like crest above the eyes.
Its caudofemoralis also looks like it's too small.  You can see the difference if you compare its tail to that of the Battat Acrocanthosaurus which has a correctly sized caudofemoralis.  If you're interested in finding out more about the caudofemoralis, I recommend these posts: https://archosaurmusings.wordpress.com/2010/12/06/guest-post-bulking-up-the-back-end-why-tyrannosaurus-tail-mass-matters/    http://skeletaldrawing.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/t-rex-baby-got-back.html  From what I understand, the shape and placement of the caudal ribs affects the appearance of the caudofemoralis, which consequently isn't identical in every dinosaur (Carnotaurus and Aucasaurus are known to have a huge caudofemoralis).

While I think the oversized feet on the Rebor Acro are to help it stand more easily, those crests over the eyes make it look like once again Rebor felt the real animal wasn't good enough, so it needed to be altered.  Looking on their Facebook page, they say it's a "museum class replica" with "science and art perfectly balanced".  In all 6 of their figures which we've seen, they've had inaccuracies which show they're not trying to make accurate reconstructions of animals that once lived, despite their many misleading comments (just look at all the arguments those comments led to on this forum!).  Even on the Ceratosaurus, the osteoderms don't seem to match what Ceratosaurus's osteoderms are known to be like - a row of non-overlapping osteoderms on the back: http://scotthartman.deviantart.com/art/Ceratosaurus-wasn-t-a-wuss-357114587

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 03, 2015, 08:19:12 PM
If REBOR just said they made stylized dinosaurs that would have been the end of it, but they said they didn't care about accuracy and yet would not stop marketing their products as accurate. They completely admitted that were using their marketing to take advantage of people with no remorse, and I simply can not have anything but contempt for such an attitude. I would feel horrible if I were to give someone who didn't know any better something inaccurate claiming to be accurate (this mainly applies to buying books for people). So for a company to use "scientific accuracy" as a way to take advantage of people simply makes me sick.
I agree.

I'm not judging anyone for liking Rebor.  I'm not trying to start an argument.  At first I (probably naively) thought the inaccuracies in their figures were due to Rebor not knowing animal anatomy very well.  After everything that's happened I wanted to share observations I've made about Rebor.  They are very talented sculptors and I think they underestimated how popular their products would be if they made them trying to bring out the best in the animals rather than ones that are:
Quote from: Patrx on April 03, 2015, 07:02:37 PM
Awesomebro: An aesthetic paradigm which exaggerates or invents strange, dramatic and/or dangerous aspects of prehistoric life, sometimes ignoring research or referring to outdated ideas.
Hehe!  That's a great description Patrx!  :))

So... Is the Rebor Acrocanthosaurus the first JP-inspired Acrocanthosaurus?  It looks like the Wild Safari and Battat Acrocanthosaurus will continue being the most accurate toys of this dinosaur.

suspsy

Quote from: ARUL on April 04, 2015, 02:27:16 AM

Hahaha how could it be suspsy  :))

Because it looks like a Papo product?

Indeed, that's how I saw REBOR long before they started posting here. Same level of superb detail as Papo, same issues with scientific accuracy, but considerably more expensive. And that's why I personally choose to stick with Papo, even if it weren't for REBOR's rudeness.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shadowknight1

Personally, the eye crest on the Acro doesn't bother me.  Neither do the scutes on the back of the Ceratosaurus.  Both are measures of artistic license, which would fall under that bit of balancing art and science.  The overlapping scutes on their Ceratosaurus, along with the colors, make it seem like camouflage for a swampy environment.  As for the JP-ification of the Acrocanthosaurus, I see a little of what you mean, but at least unlike most JP-ified dinos(Papo Allosaurus for instance), it doesn't have bunny hands.

As for the Battat Acrocanthosaurus, thanks for introducing me to that model, I had no idea it existed.  But!  It honestly looks to me like it has a skinnier tail than the REBOR Acro.  But I think both look excellent and I might try to find the Battat if possible.  Definitely better than the Carnegie, but what isn't?

suspsy, that's part of why I eventually decided to pass on the King T. rex.  While it would look great next to the other Papo rexes, I just can't justify the price for it when I have two well detailed rexes already.  CollectA's feathered rex is another story entirely. ;)  But with Utahraptor, I can justify shelling out for because Papo has only done one "raptor" and it's a JP toy.  And with Acrocanthosaurus, Papo hasn't done one.  And if they ever do, I doubt it will look like REBOR's.  Or it might, who knows.

EDIT: Perhaps we're taking the phrase "museum quality" the wrong way.  It seems like we're using it to say that the models are being purported to be 100% accurate.  Perhaps "museum quality" means like an artistic rendition like some dioramas that museums used to feature(haven't been to a museum in a long time, especially one with dinosaurs).  The ones that look really nice, but are pretty much outdated the minute they're done.  Museum quality art rather than 100% accurate recreations.

Sim

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 04, 2015, 04:36:27 PM
As for the Battat Acrocanthosaurus, thanks for introducing me to that model, I had no idea it existed.  But!  It honestly looks to me like it has a skinnier tail than the REBOR Acro.  But I think both look excellent and I might try to find the Battat if possible.  Definitely better than the Carnegie, but what isn't?
I think it might appear that way due to the Rebor Acro having that very sunken area on the underside of its tail (that shows its caudofemoralis is too small).  If I'm not mistaken, that sunken area is over the hemal spines.  On the Battat Acro, the caudofemoralis is bigger, giving the tail a beefier, fuller look.  For some reason it seems a lot of people don't/didn't know about caudofemoralis size so a lot of dinosaur reconstructions show a caudofemoralis that's too small.  I've never owned the Battat Acrocanthosaurus, I'm really looking forward to getting the reissued version, which you can see here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2529.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: