News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daspletodave

There's nothing wrong with REBOR's dinosaurs. Like Papo, they have a unique style and they're sticking to it. It's called artistic licence. If you don't like them, don't buy them.

amargasaurus cazaui

Think you are missing the point...they wanted to portray awesomebro in a dinosaur sculpt....they nailed it. Noone said a thing about anything wrong with their dinosaurs. Not sure why the snarkasm....it was a compliment.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Takama

Quote from: Daspletodave on April 05, 2015, 04:28:23 PM
There's nothing wrong with REBOR's dinosaurs. Like Papo, they have a unique style and they're sticking to it. It's called artistic licence. If you don't like them, don't buy them.
As what a lot of people said, its the fact that they label there products as authentic museum replicas when there nothing but Hollywood monsters. on top of that, they are the worst Dino Toy Company i ever seen, by belittling other peoples work, and taking advantage of the public's lack of knowledge on dinosaur in all the wrong ways, by giving them blatant miss information (Yutyrannus did not go through a Summer and winter stages by shedding most of its feathers to reveal scales). I can go on, but others explained everything wrong with this company better then me.

Jetoar

Wonderful Acrocanthosaurus  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Shonisaurus

I understand that they are giving us some clues about new Rebor dinosaurs in one, as I said:

A large pterosaurs ¿quetzalcoatlus?
A triceratops.
A ankylosaurus.
A Yutyrannus as already announced.
By the hind legs ¿velociraptor, deinonichus?
And of course a stegosaurus.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Takama on April 05, 2015, 04:41:53 PM
As what a lot of people said, its the fact that they label there products as authentic museum replicas when there nothing but Hollywood monsters.
Quote from: Me on Facebook 4/4/15I think I may finally understand the whole "Museum Class" thing. It doesn't necessarily mean 100% accurate reconstructions of dinosaurs. It means artistic interpretations of dinosaurs as they might have appeared, somewhat like a museum diorama of dinosaurs. Not always totally accurate, but a great piece of art that anyone would admire.
Quote from: REBOR replyYou've got the idea, "museum class" doesn't equal to "museum accurate", the word "class" is more like "taste" in this case :)

Take it how you will.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Concavenator

Unique?Don't really like to be this way...but,come on,really?I actually third and second suspsy.If they'd told me it's a Papo model,I would have believed it.Then again,they pretend us to think their models are the best and museum quality and blah,blah...Their quality is good,but not at all better than Papo.I ( I) don't personally care if the materials are better,or if there are not joining lines,etc.I jusr want my models to be accurate and beautiful.The Acrocanthosaurus looks good.But not the best one in the market (that honour goes to Shane Foulkes).They look too similar to Papo.BTW their models are not affordable for everyone.Bear that in mind.And since they are completely respectless and they  seem to insult one of the best dinosaur models sculptors now (Doug Watson),their reputation has gone to 0.The representative was rude as hell!That's true.

Sim

A few of the criticisms towards Rebor were too harsh, however they were a minority.  On the other hand, I've seen a lot of posts supporting Rebor that have contained insults to others and/or agressiveness.  I'm still seeing some posts like that.  It's completely unnecessary, since you can just explain why you disagree or express support for Rebor without being nasty about it.

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 05, 2015, 05:00:28 PM
Quote from: Me on Facebook 4/4/15I think I may finally understand the whole "Museum Class" thing. It doesn't necessarily mean 100% accurate reconstructions of dinosaurs. It means artistic interpretations of dinosaurs as they might have appeared, somewhat like a museum diorama of dinosaurs. Not always totally accurate, but a great piece of art that anyone would admire.
You said, "It means artistic interpretations of dinosaurs as they might have appeared".  Prior to the Rebor figures being made, it was already known Yutyrannus had more feathers than the Rebor figure.  And that Tyrannosaurus didn't have a head like the Rebor figure.  Same with Utahraptor.  The JP Velociraptor head used for it is has barely any resemblance to known dromaeosaur heads.  In another Rebor thread on this forum Rebor themselves said they deliberately altered their models' anatomy from what's known of the animals to try to make them more appealing to people.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 05, 2015, 04:38:12 PM
Think you are missing the point...they wanted to portray awesomebro in a dinosaur sculpt....they nailed it. Noone said a thing about anything wrong with their dinosaurs. Not sure why the snarkasm....it was a compliment.

Let's please not use this accusatory word 'snarkasm'.

If you think a forum post breaks a forum rule then flag it to a moderator. Thanks  C:-)

Takama

Quote from: Sim on April 05, 2015, 05:21:51 PM
A few of the criticisms towards Rebor were too harsh, however they were a minority.  On the other hand, I've seen a lot of posts supporting Rebor that have contained insults to others and/or agressiveness.  I'm still seeing some posts like that.  It's completely unnecessary, since you can just explain why you disagree or express support for Rebor without being nasty about it.

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 05, 2015, 05:00:28 PM
You said, "It means artistic interpretations of dinosaurs as they might have appeared".  Prior to the Rebor figures being made, it was already known Yutyrannus had more feathers than the Rebor figure.  And that Tyrannosaurus didn't have a head like the Rebor figure.  Same with Utahraptor.  The JP Velociraptor head used for it is has barely any resemblance to known dromaeosaur heads.  In another Rebor thread on this forum Rebor themselves said they deliberately altered their models' anatomy from what's known of the animals to try to make them more appealing to people.

Thank you for saying this Sim. I seen this on Facebook, and i wanted to reply with what you said, but I don't always know how to say things

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Concavenator on April 05, 2015, 05:18:44 PM
And since they are completely respectless and they  seem to insult one of the best dinosaur models sculptors now (Doug Watson),their reputation has gone to 0.The representative was rude as hell!That's true.

And the member is temporarily banned, so you're saying this...why? This is an unwarranted personal attack on a forum member, you should know better than this by now, especially after all that has happened. This is a last warning to you and everyone contributing to this thread: we trust you to talk about our shared interest with mutual respect.

Shonisaurus

It should be in this friendly forum, no disrespect to manufacturers, that does not mean that we make constructive criticism based on fossil evidence and paleontological errors in the figures that are made, but as I say also based on mutual respect.

How has already been said (and I have not been precisely), each company has a philosophy in conducting dinosaur figures, and each person has a way of thinking about business dinosaur, but yes we must respect one another, moreover Doug Watson is an excellent paleoartist regarding dinosaur figures mark the sadly departed Carnegie, and I for one am very happy with its latest figures such as the velociraptor.

Shadowknight1

Unique?Don't really like to be this way...but,come on,really?I actually third and second suspsy.If they'd told me it's a Papo model,I would have believed it.Then again,they pretend us to think their models are the best and museum quality and blah,blah...Their quality is good,but not at all better than Papo.I ( I) don't personally care if the materials are better,or if there are not joining lines,etc.I jusr want my models to be accurate and beautiful.The Acrocanthosaurus looks good.But not the best one in the market (that honour goes to Shane Foulkes).They look too similar to Papo.BTW their models are not affordable for everyone.Bear that in mind.And since they are completely respectless and they  seem to insult one of the best dinosaur models sculptors now (Doug Watson),their reputation has gone to 0.The representative was rude as hell!That's true.
Their Acro will be more affordable than Shane's.  Just saying.  Not all of us can afford to drop 200 bucks on a resin kit.  And not all of us are adept at kit building or painting, so that's another, what, 100 to commission someone?
]You said, "It means artistic interpretations of dinosaurs as they might have appeared".  Prior to the Rebor figures being made, it was already known Yutyrannus had more feathers than the Rebor figure.  And that Tyrannosaurus didn't have a head like the Rebor figure.  Same with Utahraptor.  The JP Velociraptor head used for it is has barely any resemblance to known dromaeosaur heads.  In another Rebor thread on this forum Rebor themselves said they deliberately altered their models' anatomy from what's known of the animals to try to make them more appealing to people.
Okay.  Since every company and their mothers sculpts their rexes and raptors similarly to JP's, what exactly is WRONG with REBOR's rex skull?  And the Utahraptor?  Its head doesn't really resemble the JP raptors that I remember.  The Utahraptor's snout is fairly low from the front of the eye whereas the JP raptors had a small crest there(which was exaggerated for JP3).
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 05, 2015, 07:01:13 PM
Their Acro will be more affordable than Shane's.  Just saying.  Not all of us can afford to drop 200 bucks on a resin kit.  And not all of us are adept at kit building or painting, so that's another, what, 100 to commission someone?
]You said, "It means artistic interpretations of dinosaurs as they might have appeared".  Prior to the Rebor figures being made, it was already known Yutyrannus had more feathers than the Rebor figure.  And that Tyrannosaurus didn't have a head like the Rebor figure.  Same with Utahraptor.  The JP Velociraptor head used for it is has barely any resemblance to known dromaeosaur heads.  In another Rebor thread on this forum Rebor themselves said they deliberately altered their models' anatomy from what's known of the animals to try to make them more appealing to people.
Okay.  Since every company and their mothers sculpts their rexes and raptors similarly to JP's, what exactly is WRONG with REBOR's rex skull?  And the Utahraptor?  Its head doesn't really resemble the JP raptors that I remember.  The Utahraptor's snout is fairly low from the front of the eye whereas the JP raptors had a small crest there(which was exaggerated for JP3).
Well, Utahraptor should look like this:
http://ewilloughby.deviantart.com/art/The-More-Accurate-Utahraptor-442020192

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Yutyrannus on April 05, 2015, 07:06:11 PM

...in your opinion, and Emily Willoughby's. But it isn't a fact, it's a piece of palaeoart with artistic licence, just like Rebor's models. Nobody knows what Utahraptor really looked like, so I find your statement aggravating and I'm essentially in agreement with you. I can only imagine how it feels to those who positively disagree but I'm sure those members can be trusted to take your bold statement with the pinch of salt it deserves.

ddidiodion

Quote from: Yutyrannus on April 05, 2015, 07:06:11 PM

Just curiosity, but what evidence is there that Utahraptor has that configuration of facial feathering while Yutyrannus had a featherless face? I ask because the Safari Yutyrannus seems to be widely favoured on this forum and it has similar feathering to the REBOR Utahraptor which has taken a bit of a pasting for it's lack of feathering on the head.

Edit: And before people jump in, I'm not attacking Safari's Yutyrannus, I own it and it's a beautiful piece, I'm just interested in why one is one way and the other isn't.

Concavenator

@ddidiodion:Yutyrannus was very different from Utahraptor.They belonged to different families.Utahraptor was a bird,while Yutyrannus wasn't as birdlike.There's anything technically incorrect with a bald face Yutyrannus,but if you did a bald headed Utahraptor,I believe it would be incorrect.Furthermore,the Rebor Utahraptor has a bald underside,while the Safari Yutyrannus doesn't.

@dinotoyforum:Sorry  :( I've not visited the forum for a week,then checked out this topic and saw what's up.Was just giving my opinion.Won't happen again,trust me.

Patrx

Quote from: ddidiodion on April 05, 2015, 07:36:59 PM
Just curiosity, but what evidence is there that Utahraptor has that configuration of facial feathering while Yutyrannus had a featherless face? I ask because the Safari Yutyrannus seems to be widely favoured on this forum and it has similar feathering to the REBOR Utahraptor which has taken a bit of a pasting for it's lack of feathering on the head.

Edit: And before people jump in, I'm not attacking Safari's Yutyrannus, I own it and it's a beautiful piece, I'm just interested in why one is one way and the other isn't.

The short answer is cladistics. Basically, Yutyrannus, as a basal tyrannosauroid, is the only member of that group for which we have any reliable evidence of integument (feathers, scales, etc). It might have had a feathery face, but we can't tell based on its fossils or by looking at close relatives.
Utahraptor, meanwhile, is a dromaeosaur. We've got lots of fossils showing what its close relatives' feathers were like, and no reason to assume its own were different. Ergo, it is parsimonious (i.e. scientifically conservative) to assume it had a feathery head and face.

Any further discussion on this matter should be carried out in a more appropriate thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=928

MechaKnifehead

Quote from: dinotoyforum on April 05, 2015, 07:26:29 PM
...in your opinion, and Emily Willoughby's. But it isn't a fact, it's a piece of palaeoart with artistic licence, just like Rebor's models. Nobody knows what Utahraptor really looked like, so I find your statement aggravating and I'm essentially in agreement with you. I can only imagine how it feels to those who positively disagree but I'm sure those members can be trusted to take your bold statement with the pinch of salt it deserves.
You.  I like you.

I agree with all of this.

Dobber

Quote from: dinotoyforum on April 05, 2015, 07:26:29 PM

Thank you Dr. Admin my feelings exactly. I really like what Emily Wiloughby did there too, but the fact is we really don't know.

I've been putting off commenting in this thread after the event for several reasons:
A) it's already been said
B) I'm pretty new here
C) being new here, I don't want to be labeled as something...which says something about some of the attitudes here.

This forum is generally a very nice place with very knowledgable people with fantastic insight and information into these amazing animals and the toys that represent them.....EXCEPT.....when it comes to REBOR. I joined back in Dec when the saga seemed to start. Yes I also disagree with how REBOR labels there figures ect and have said as much in the King T-Rex thread....BUT.....the outright hostility the has been leveled at them from pretty early on was surprising to me as a new member, and it continued all the way to this current episode. I personally believe in taking the high road, so to speak, and not behaving negatively just because I feel someone was being rude to me...but that is just me and I understand not everyone feels the same. When this current event started, I had a bad feeling about where some of the comments where going and I admit I misread some of them and thought people where starting up with the copying poses thing again and they were NOT. But it is possible that REBOR did they same thing as I did since they did make a comment that they were getting tired of it. Then someone here possibly misread what REBOR said about the FEET of the Papo Spinosaurus  and started in with a total compairison of the Spinosaurus not making sense ect. REBOR got fed up with it. And unfortunately and VERY WRONGLY/UNPROFFESSIONALLY made disparaging remarks to another artist here. That is inexcusable to me as well.....but I kind of don't understand why Dougs name was brought up in the first place. He has nothing to do with REBOR, makes wonderful sculpts (but for a completely different market), and didn't have a dog in this fight at all. Personally, I wouldn't want to be thrown into this argument if I wasn't involving myself in it in the first place.

Next, I also don't understand why people that don't care for REBOR continue to vist REBOR threads? If you don't like them that's fine...it's your rite. But, if you don't like something why keep subjecting yourself to it?  ???  REBOR deffinately acted Horribly, but they are also not completely to blame in what lead to this unfortunate event.

Again, I'm not blaming any one person for everything....just pointing out as a newer person here that doesn't know anyone here personally or have any allegiance to REBOR, that maybe can view this saga from a more objective view. Some here seem to take REBORS advertising far to personally. I don't agree with it either, but it just is what it is and just roll my eyes at some of  REBOR's advertising and move on. I can see how they would start getting fed up with the negativity. Still doesn't excuse how they acted...2 wrongs don't make a right. I will also admit that some of the perceived negativity was probably just people trying to be helpful but it may have not just translated well to the printed form...or it may have just lacked tact too. ;) I really don't know...but minus their crappy remark about Doug....i don't think they deserved a lot of what was leveled at them. I really don't want to make anyone mad, I am sorry if I did.....as I want to get along with everyone here. It's just as this thread continues on and on, I kept feeling the need to share my thoughts.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: