News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

Quote from: Rain on June 06, 2022, 01:48:43 PMI'm not sure if this is the most appropriate place for this comment but I've gotta say, I'm really not a fan of this whole 'naming your figures' trend REBOR has started. I didn't mind it too much with REBOR since their names were usually, somewhat, clever or references to older music but now we've got stuff like "Paul, the Acrocanthosaurus".

Soooooo weird.

I also find it weird, but can easily ignore it.
 But when discussing a certain figure, I'd prefer when people use the species' name, because otherwise I have look up
 what Nickname belongs to which species and ... oh Paul is an Allosaurus, not Acrocanthosaurus ;D .

need4swede

The naming stuff seems to work well in certain cases - Wilson is a good example of that. It's a great way of giving your characters some life, a technique PNSO expands upon further through the accompanying literature that comes with a lot of their figures. It works well because in these cases you can tell that the name serves a purpose - it compliments the 'story' that PNSO is attempting to tell with this specific creature. They don't have to do any of this, but it adds another layer to their figures - one that a lot of us, certainly a younger me, would absolutely adore.

But when the names are used simply as titles, it comes off more as a UPC or 'Item ID' than a name, and it spoils the magic of it all. So if you're going to do it, don't just use the name simply as a barcode to distinguish this figure from another one - use the name to breathe some more life into your figure, otherwise it comes off as a bit pedantic.
- Swede

Rain

Quote from: Lynx on June 06, 2022, 02:46:45 PMI assume you are talking about PNSO? They have always named their figures stuff like Paul, REBOR had nothing to do with it.

As I mentioned in the original comment, REBOR started the trend, hence why the comment was posted here. REBOR is not only an older company than PNSO but also named their figures from the get-go. PNSO did not, their large vinyl figures were nameless.

Regardless, this isn't about PNSO in particular, it's about all the newer companies (So I wasn't particularly thinking of PNSO when I threw the example out but good to know they named their figure Allosaurus 'Paul'). Nanmu, REBOR, PNSO and more are all doing it. Even independent creators have hopped on the trend, just yesterday we saw 'Omar the Tyrannosaurus'.

Do I really care that much? No, of course not, but it is very strange nonetheless. I much prefer to just see the species name on the pretty display boxes rather than some very mundane human name. Even with REBOR's, sometimes, clever names it's still weird to me.

But I guess I'm being ignorant of the fact that these are toys and not display pieces, the main target audience is probably children who'd name their figures anyway. To each their own.

Samrukia

Quote from: Rain on June 06, 2022, 11:30:59 PMDo I really care that much? No, of course not, but it is very strange nonetheless.

do you feel the same way about Sue, Scotty, Stan, Big Al, Big John, Doyle?

Rain

Quote from: erlectric on June 07, 2022, 12:06:40 AM
Quote from: Rain on June 06, 2022, 11:30:59 PMDo I really care that much? No, of course not, but it is very strange nonetheless.

do you feel the same way about Sue, Scotty, Stan, Big Al, Big John, Doyle?

No, I don't find it particularly strange that unique fossils are given nicknames, alongside their catalogue number, to differentiate them from other specimens of the same species. But on that note, seeing as REBOR will soon be releasing their fifth T. rex and PNSO has already released four, maybe naming them all wasn't a bad idea after all  ;)

SRF

Like avatar_need4swede @need4swede mentions, PNSO also published childrens books in which their dinosaur characters get names. They usually translate these names also onto the different figures that they create. Their figures are targetted more towards adults, but PNSO creates their own universe in which these animals get names. I actually like it the way PNSO does this.

REBOR has given names to emphasize the awesome-ness of their figures which is kinda meh. They also decided to use names and lyrics of famous songs, which I do like for different reasons. I actually find it easier to discuss the differences between "PNSO's Wilson" and "REBOR's Kiss", than between "PNSO's male standing Tyrannosaurus Rex" and "REBOR's Tyrannosaurus Rex with lips" so I'm not bummed by this trend at all. :)
But today, I'm just being father

Bread

avatar_Rain @Rain then maybe your question or topic should have originated in the Controversial Opinion(s) thread. http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6880.0

Regardless, I think this question about the naming of figures companies do has been discussed before. I think really the same opinions were agreed upon. I really think it only works for a few figures, like Wilson the Tyrannosaurus due to the numerous Tyrannosaurus figures we have. I'll probably do the same with Kiss the Tyrannosaurus once I have mine in hand.

Takama

I have no problem with companys or individual Creators giveing their models an informal name.

Heck you see my Avatar?   Thats Peter the T.rex Sculpted by avatar_Archinto @Archinto back in 2017. I named him after my uncle.

and i admit, REBOR was my influence in nameing him

Sturisoma

Quote from: Rain on June 06, 2022, 11:30:59 PM
Quote from: Lynx on June 06, 2022, 02:46:45 PMI assume you are talking about PNSO? They have always named their figures stuff like Paul, REBOR had nothing to do with it.

As I mentioned in the original comment, REBOR started the trend, hence why the comment was posted here. REBOR is not only an older company than PNSO but also named their figures from the get-go. PNSO did not, their large vinyl figures were nameless.

Which models are you referring to? I only started collecting late last year, but all PNSO figures I have seen all have names, even the big ones:
http://www.pnso.cn/en/models/index/4

SRF

Quote from: Sturisoma on June 08, 2022, 07:51:22 AM
Quote from: Rain on June 06, 2022, 11:30:59 PM

Which models are you referring to? I only started collecting late last year, but all PNSO figures I have seen all have names, even the big ones:
http://www.pnso.cn/en/models/index/4

The very first hollow vinyl models from PNSO didn't get names I think. The minis from PNSO, which are their oldest releases, did get them though.
But today, I'm just being father

ceratopsian

Things like their Huanghetitan.  See here in the PNSO reference thread, the very first post, avatar_Sturisoma @Sturisoma:

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?msg=274959

Sturisoma

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 08, 2022, 11:43:08 AMThings like their Huanghetitan.  See here in the PNSO reference thread, the very first post, avatar_Sturisoma @Sturisoma:

Ooohhhh I've never seen these giants before. I'm relatively new to this hobby. Thanks!  ^-^

ceratopsian

I was relatively new when those first PNSO models came out, avatar_Sturisoma @Sturisoma. I remember the excitement vividly. And I still treasure my Huanghetitan etc.

Quote from: Sturisoma on June 08, 2022, 01:30:39 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on June 08, 2022, 11:43:08 AMThings like their Huanghetitan.  See here in the PNSO reference thread, the very first post, avatar_Sturisoma @Sturisoma:

Ooohhhh I've never seen these giants before. I'm relatively new to this hobby. Thanks!  ^-^

Over9K

"REBOR 1:35 poseable T-Rex animatronic puppet "Kraftwerk" in progress"

Umm... Ok? Are they making a serious prop? Or some art piece aping a serious prop?

Carnoking

Between those options, I would say they're aping. But i don't know, the Stan Winston fan in me is all over this!

GiganotosaurusFan

I just noticed: when checking out Andy's review on the Nanmu Allo, the art card dinosaur is strikingly similar to the Saurophaganax.
Any Giganotosauruses are friends. Any other carnivores are...I think I'll run now.

Bread

I think this "animatronic puppet" Tyrannosaurus is a cool idea, but I am just both intrigued and skeptical on how it will work.

Carnoking

REBOR just teased a 1:2 scale Beelzebufo, what timeline am I living in??

Darko2300

Quote from: Carnoking on June 20, 2022, 04:00:11 PMREBOR just teased a 1:2 scale Beelzebufo, what timeline am I living in??

It's the Age of Amphibians... 😅 (Though really, I expect they're going where there's interest.) Which reminds me... Crystal Palace Dinosaurs when, avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO? 🙏

Thialfi

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: