News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Doug Watson's collection

Started by Doug Watson, February 13, 2015, 02:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 13, 2015, 06:32:52 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 13, 2015, 06:16:02 PM
Awesome collection Doug! You may not have quantity like some but there is a ton of quality work in there! ;D

I hate to see a piece go unfinished especially when your so far along. It's been awhile since Darga did his and it's pretty hard to get too. So I hope you do consider completing it.

Thanks Blade, your Alva Iguanodon is sitting in there I'll be pulling it out later to shoot with my other Alvas. I doubt I'll ever get that piece out as a kit, they just don't sell well enough to justify the cost. I may finish it as a stand alone piece for myself but I have such a gosh darn long list of projects who knows if I will live long enough.

Cool, I knew he went to a good home. Probably having fun with all his friends..hope he doesn't keep you up late..party animal you understand. lol

Yeah I see a lot of kits out there but there seems to be a real deficit in those willing to buy them.  Is vinyl any cheaper to produce?

If nothing else you should finish it for yourself, might be a great portfolio addition as well. :)

Doug Watson

Quote from: Takama on February 13, 2015, 05:06:00 PM
I really love your collection of Safari Resins.   The looks so much different from there Spawns.     

Thank you Takama, I actually sculpt my originals in a two part epoxy putty.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 13, 2015, 06:40:58 PM
Cool, I knew he went to a good home. Probably having fun with all his friends..hope he doesn't keep you up late..party animal you understand. lol

Yeah I see a lot of kits out there but there seems to be a real deficit in those willing to buy them.  Is vinyl any cheaper to produce?

If nothing else you should finish it for yourself, might be a great portfolio addition as well. :)

Only when he gets together with Buzz, I don't know which is worse.

With my kits I make my own casts out of polyurethane resin as I need them, if I went vinyl I would have to contract out for a specialized mould and a minimum run so that would be way more expensive.

Actually at this point I am no longer looking for new work, actually turning most down so if I finish it, it would be just for me.

Sim

I enjoyed looking at the photos of your collection Doug!  I especially enjoyed the photo of your Safari original sculpts.  I think I can see something unreleased and exciting though!  I won't say anything more about it without your permission though.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Sim on February 13, 2015, 08:52:42 PM
I enjoyed looking at the photos of your collection Doug!  I especially enjoyed the photo of your Safari original sculpts.  I think I can see something unreleased and exciting though!  I won't say anything more about it without your permission though.

I doubt it, but PM me and I'll let you know.

Sim

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 13, 2015, 08:55:40 PM

Ok, you'll get the first PM I send on this forum. :)

Doug Watson

Quote from: Sim on February 13, 2015, 08:59:31 PM

Well, you did spot an unreleased piece under the big T rex but that is actually version 1 of the archaeopteryx. I did that one first but it was decided that it was too big so we decided to do the smaller version that you see up front. Whew! You had me worried, I would have been in deep do do if it was an unreleased piece. Thank you for your discretion.

Sim

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 13, 2015, 09:16:54 PM
Quote from: Sim on February 13, 2015, 08:59:31 PM

Well, you did spot an unreleased piece under the big T rex but that is actually version 1 of the archaeopteryx. I did that one first but it was decided that it was too big so we decided to do the smaller version that you see up front. Whew! You had me worried, I would have been in deep do do if it was an unreleased piece. Thank you for your discretion.
Hehe, so it was an unreleased piece after all, just not the dromaeosaurid or troodontid I thought it might be!  I'm sorry I made you worry Doug.  I didn't think you'd be in deep do do if it was something that was going to be released.  If I'd known, I would've PMed you about it instead of asking about it in the thread.  I agree the size of Archaeopteryx v2 is better than the size of Archaeopteryx v1 for the Safari figure.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Sim on February 13, 2015, 10:28:44 PM
Hehe, so it was an unreleased piece after all, just not the dromaeosaurid or troodontid I thought it might be!  I'm sorry I made you worry Doug.  I didn't think you'd be in deep do do if it was something that was going to be released.  If I'd known, I would've PMed you about it instead of asking about it in the thread.  I agree the size of Archaeopteryx v2 is better than the size of Archaeopteryx v1 for the Safari figure.

Well to avoid anymore confusion amongst sharp eyed sleuths like you down the road, I have changed the photo removing big archy and the Dimorphodon has returned to roost.

triceratops83

Wow, what a collection. I think everyone here is drooling over the Safari originals in particular, I know I am. The Library is REALLY something to be jealous of. I noticed New Perspectives On Horned Dinosaurs - have you got the new Hadrosaurs book by the same publisher?
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

suspsy

Very impressive, Doug. I hope you do get around to finishing the T. Rex vs
Triceratops someday. Looks like a great set!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dinomike

Wonderful collection! You once made a very positive comment on a sculpture I made for the diorama contest - I didn't realize back then it was you and never thanked you! Thank you - I'm honored! I have quite a few dinos you sculpted and they have a special place in my collection as they are simply stunning. I believe many here share my thoughts.
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Meso-Cenozoic

Whoa, very cool Doug! I find it fascinating looking through a collection of someone who actually created some of them, and to see what others you find worthy of collecting. Like others have said, I really liked seeing all your originals and simply amazed by your enormous book collection! And in your collection, you have quite a few very unique pieces I can't identify. Are those all 3 versions of the Battat T. rex? Very jealous if they are. I only have the last one. But at least I can say I was able to get the entire collection (minus the minis) before they closed up shop. Thank goodness Dan LaRusso is a key figure in reviving the line and even expanding it! I love that you still have a Flintstones Play Set, and that the figures get a front row viewing on your shelf! With all the science you're delving into constantly, it's nice to see you're still keeping your inner child alive as well. ;)

Crackington

Really enjoying seeing your beautiful collection, especially the original Safari sculpts. I remember being wowed by the Dunkleosteus when it first came out a few years back and also enjoyed spotting a few more of the models I own. Thanks for sharing with us and good to see that you are a true dino-fan too!

Doug Watson

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 14, 2015, 03:56:13 AM
Wow, what a collection. I think everyone here is drooling over the Safari originals in particular, I know I am. The Library is REALLY something to be jealous of. I noticed New Perspectives On Horned Dinosaurs - have you got the new Hadrosaurs book by the same publisher?

Thank you, no I don't have that book yet but it is on my wish list.

Doug Watson

Quote from: suspsy on February 14, 2015, 04:22:59 AM
Very impressive, Doug. I hope you do get around to finishing the T. Rex vs
Triceratops someday. Looks like a great set!

Thank you, maybe someday, retirement project possibly.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Dinomike on February 14, 2015, 08:44:48 AM
Wonderful collection! You once made a very positive comment on a sculpture I made for the diorama contest - I didn't realize back then it was you and never thanked you! Thank you - I'm honored! I have quite a few dinos you sculpted and they have a special place in my collection as they are simply stunning. I believe many here share my thoughts.

I remember those dinosaurs, I thought they were store bought! Thank you, I am honoured you have thought enough of some of my pieces to add them to your collection.

John

Very nice collection you got there. :)
Out of curiosity,would the Inostrancevia you did for the Wild Safari line happen to be I. latifrons?
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Doug Watson

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on February 14, 2015, 11:20:54 AM
Whoa, very cool Doug! I find it fascinating looking through a collection of someone who actually created some of them, and to see what others you find worthy of collecting. Like others have said, I really liked seeing all your originals and simply amazed by your enormous book collection! And in your collection, you have quite a few very unique pieces I can't identify. Are those all 3 versions of the Battat T. rex? Very jealous if they are. I only have the last one. But at least I can say I was able to get the entire collection (minus the minis) before they closed up shop. Thank goodness Dan LaRusso is a key figure in reviving the line and even expanding it! I love that you still have a Flintstones Play Set, and that the figures get a front row viewing on your shelf! With all the science you're delving into constantly, it's nice to see you're still keeping your inner child alive as well. ;)

Thank you, yes those are the three Battat versions of T rex. I picked up about half of the Battat set including version 3 of the T rex at the ROM back when they were still being sold. One I didn't buy was the Diplodocus, I held it in my hand and thought "no $18 is too much" (kicks himself in the a..). My wife grabbed what was still being sold at the BMOS on a business trip and Dan himself sold me the Triceratops. I later finished the set at a much greater cost through eBay. I made Randy Knol a bit richer picking the Diplodocus up on eBay but cheaper than some paid. I don't have any of the minis and I am still missing versions 1 & 2 of the Dilophosaurus, I have version 3.  I had the original Flintstones set back in 1962 but it and the Tinykins were long gone so I got those back on eBay as well. Like Peter Pan I don't plan on growing up too soon.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Crackington on February 14, 2015, 03:44:28 PM
Really enjoying seeing your beautiful collection, especially the original Safari sculpts. I remember being wowed by the Dunkleosteus when it first came out a few years back and also enjoyed spotting a few more of the models I own. Thanks for sharing with us and good to see that you are a true dino-fan too!

Thank you and I am glad some of my pieces have joined your collection.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: