News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Doug Watson's collection

Started by Doug Watson, February 13, 2015, 02:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Watson

Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 15, 2015, 10:05:25 AM
Thanks for sharing Doug. I didn't know you sculpted the tiny microraptor, you'll be pleased to know I've been travelling around for the last eight years or so with a keyring version of that figure attached to my backpack  :)) I bought it in Sweden during a research trip to the Stockholm Natural History Museum in about 2005/6 and it has accompanied me ever since! I will lament the day it eventually becomes detached...

That is really neat, and I am honoured. That Microraptor has probably flown more than any living version. I did all the feathered dinos in that AMNH Toob and another sculptor did the rest. It bugs me that I can't remember his name, I had it once but I lost it. I think I gave the name to Mike Fredericks for PT so one of these days I'll dig up that article.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 15, 2015, 02:22:08 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 15, 2015, 10:05:25 AM
Thanks for sharing Doug. I didn't know you sculpted the tiny microraptor, you'll be pleased to know I've been travelling around for the last eight years or so with a keyring version of that figure attached to my backpack  :)) I bought it in Sweden during a research trip to the Stockholm Natural History Museum in about 2005/6 and it has accompanied me ever since! I will lament the day it eventually becomes detached...

That is really neat, and I am honoured. That Microraptor has probably flown more than any living version. I did all the feathered dinos in that AMNH Toob and another sculptor did the rest. It bugs me that I can't remember his name, I had it once but I lost it. I think I gave the name to Mike Fredericks for PT so one of these days I'll dig up that article.

I found the name of the sculptor who did the unfeathered dinos in the AMNH Feathered Dinos Toob (I think I am obsessive compulsive). His name was William Burford, I have never been able to find anything else out about him but at least I can give him credit here.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 15, 2015, 02:13:33 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 15, 2015, 07:26:26 AM
Nice!  I had a yearning to start getting pieces like this..problem is I can't ever find the funds! lol Between Sideshow, new figures each year and the Park here..I'm always hovering near " almost broke" ..lol

A clown eh? I think I know that guy..he was very happy with his end of the deal if I recall... ;) ;D

Flea Markets are the best place to find these guys at reasonable prices. I got my first two SRGs for $5. The seller wanted $10 for the pair the brontosaurus you see here and a Triceratops with a broken brow horn. It took my best poker face to talk her down to $5.  I fear if I ever come across one of the big series at a good price the completist in me will make me hunt those down too.

I was very happy as well. I have a lot of doubles of the small series if you ever want to swap again.

I used to find stuff when my dad would drag us to gift shops and antique stores when I was little..anymore I can't get the time to go out ..lol Being one of only two guys that run this place and having the 80% of the responsibilities..yeah time consuming is being polite..  ;)

Sure thing. If there is ever anything you want to trade just let me know..I think you have about everything I have and more though! lol

Bokisaurus

Nice collection, great to see all of the master figures.

Doug Watson

Doug Watson

People seem to like seeing the original sculptures so I have added a photo of the Prehistoric Mammal sculpts that I did for Safari Ltd. I have added it to the first posting in this thread.

DinoLord

Those figures were already great but seeing them in resin gives me a whole new level of appreciation. It really is a shame Safari doesn't release prehistoric mammals anymore.

Doug Watson

Quote from: DinoLord on February 17, 2015, 03:19:16 AM
Those figures were already great but seeing them in resin gives me a whole new level of appreciation. It really is a shame Safari doesn't release prehistoric mammals anymore.

Thank you.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I really enjoyed seeing your collection. The prehistoric mammal originals look much better than the pieces I have.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Albertosaurus

Doug, as I said in a different thread, I have just bought some of the Safari dinosaurs just because your sculptures are awesome. Way better than what Papo does in my opinion, more accurate, less movie monster. But I feel that there is always a loss in quality after moulding and casting in mass production so, could you please post more detailed pics of your originals to appreciate the sculpts in all their glory?

Libraraptor

What an impressive collection! Figures, books, this is incredible!

Doug Watson

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on February 17, 2015, 03:47:26 AM
I really enjoyed seeing your collection. The prehistoric mammal originals look much better than the pieces I have.

Thank you.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Albertosaurus on February 17, 2015, 06:09:48 AM
Doug, as I said in a different thread, I have just bought some of the Safari dinosaurs just because your sculptures are awesome. Way better than what Papo does in my opinion, more accurate, less movie monster. But I feel that there is always a loss in quality after moulding and casting in mass production so, could you please post more detailed pics of your originals to appreciate the sculpts in all their glory?

Thank you, much appreciated. Well that would be a lot of photos, I'll see what I can do with what I have.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Libraraptor on February 17, 2015, 08:44:03 AM
What an impressive collection! Figures, books, this is incredible!

Thank you, I'll be showing more of the collection in more detail a little at a time.

tanystropheus

This is a beautiful collection and a resourceful library side-by-side. There is also an ineffable appeal to unpainted pieces.

Doug Watson

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 17, 2015, 03:41:05 PM
This is a beautiful collection and a resourceful library side-by-side. There is also an ineffable appeal to unpainted pieces.

Thanks, I have often wondered if and when I were to sell off my originals, if I should paint them. I am gathering that the consensus here would be to leave them unpainted.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think it hearkens back to Invicta's appeal..one solid coat of primer, I like a grey myself, seems to work well to show off the shadows more each detail casts.

But yeah if you sold them I would recommend no paint at all. Collector's seem to like painting and building things themselves from my experience watching auctions on ebay.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 17, 2015, 07:08:31 PM
I think it hearkens back to Invicta's appeal..one solid coat of primer, I like a grey myself, seems to work well to show off the shadows more each detail casts.

But yeah if you sold them I would recommend no paint at all. Collector's seem to like painting and building things themselves from my experience watching auctions on ebay.

If I knew the buyer was going to paint them I don't think I would sell them, these aren't casts from moulds these are the original sculpted prototypes. I remember a while back some of Gaylord Whipkey's original Marx caveman prototypes went for sale on eBay. Not sure if they sold or for how much either way it was out of my price range. It would be neat to hold one of those or a Louis Paul Jonas original when you think of it some of their DNA is probably literally pressed into those sculpts. I am not saying I am in their league but I don't want someone spraying over my DNA.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 17, 2015, 08:09:26 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 17, 2015, 07:08:31 PM

If I knew the buyer was going to paint them I don't think I would sell them, these aren't casts from moulds these are the original sculpted prototypes. I remember a while back some of Gaylord Whipkey's original Marx caveman prototypes went for sale on eBay. Not sure if they sold or for how much either way it was out of my price range. It would be neat to hold one of those or a Louis Paul Jonas original when you think of it some of their DNA is probably literally pressed into those sculpts. I am not saying I am in their league but I don't want someone spraying over my DNA.

lol I get you bud. It's hard to say what a potential buyer would do with a piece once it's out of your hands there is certainly no control after a sale. I can say that my pieces have my finger prints all over them..that's just what's on the outside. What's on the inside..they could clone me.  lol

Doug Watson

Here is my collection of JH Miller "waxy" dinosaurs from the 1950s. Miller actually developed the injection moulding process that eventually became Mold-A-Rama. There were two size ranges but there were some in the small range that weren't offered in the large range. The small ones tend to be more rare and more expensive. They were made with a polyethylene resin and are very fragile so a lot of the ones that survive need some repair. I have worked out a recipe and I have been able to repair them but it is an involved process so add them to my list of retirement projects.
All of mine are from the large series, they range from 3 to 5 inches tall.

Here are the Dimetrodon and the Brontosaurus. It is interesting that the head on the Miller Brontosaurus is more accurate than the later Marx version.

The Stegosaurus and Triceratops.

The Pterodactyl with the Ajax Pterodactyl for comparison. Nabisco did an even closer copy.

The Mastodon & the Coelodonta. The mastodon is one I have repaired it was missing the tips of the tusks and had a big chunk missing from the shoulder area.

The Megatherium and the three cave people. There was even a cave home offered for them.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: