News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Doug Watson's collection

Started by Doug Watson, February 13, 2015, 02:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

the WS Dunkleosteus is one of my most cherished figures from that brand? did you also sculpt the Coelacanth?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Doug Watson

Quote from: John on February 14, 2015, 04:31:01 PM
Very nice collection you got there. :)
Out of curiosity,would the Inostrancevia you did for the Wild Safari line happen to be I. latifrons?

Thank you, no I based my Inostrancevia on I. alexandri. I suggested doing it to Safari Ltd after seeing a mounted specimen in the "Great Russian Dinosaurs" exhibit at the ROM. It took a few more suggestions after that but it was finally accepted.

Doug Watson

Quote from: sauroid on February 14, 2015, 04:46:24 PM
the WS Dunkleosteus is one of my most cherished figures from that brand? did you also sculpt the Coelacanth?

Thank you, yes I did do the Coelacanth,you can see my original sculpt in with my originals just in front of the big T rex vs Triceratops. I was lucky because CMN the museum I used to work at had a cast taken from an actual specimen so I was able to go into the collection, take photos and measurements.

sauroid

any plans of making a Dimetrodon for WS?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Doug Watson

Quote from: sauroid on February 14, 2015, 05:02:53 PM
any plans of making a Dimetrodon for WS?

Like I tell everyone, it wouldn't hurt to suggest it or any other suggestions on Safari's Facebook page. They do listen.

stargatedalek

I have your ceolocanth and dunkleosteus and I absolutely love them! I hope to get some of your dinosaurs this summer when I visit the States.

You have some real gems in your collection. I'm especially curious about the pterosaur in the top right of this pic:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k123/dougwatson55/My%20collection/Books%201_zpsxwhxhzvh.jpg
It looks vaguely familiar to me but I'm probably just imagining it.

Doug Watson

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 14, 2015, 05:21:02 PM
I have your ceolocanth and dunkleosteus and I absolutely love them! I hope to get some of your dinosaurs this summer when I visit the States.

You have some real gems in your collection. I'm especially curious about the pterosaur in the top right of this pic:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k123/dougwatson55/My%20collection/Books%201_zpsxwhxhzvh.jpg
It looks vaguely familiar to me but I'm probably just imagining it.

I am honoured you like those pieces those are two that I suggested to Safari Ltd.

That is the JH Miller Pterodactyl from the 50s. It is made from a waxy plastic. Ajax basically copied the same pose later in the 60s you can see a yellow Ajax to the far left of the Miller.

I have to ask Star who is your alter ego, I am a dinosaur when it comes to anime, the last anime character I knew was Sailor Moon when my daughter was a fan. I find your signature fascinating.

stargatedalek

They really are stunning! Have you considered doing other modern fish species?

Thank you, I definitely see the resemblance now that you've pointed it out to me!

That would be Sakuya Izayoi, shes from the Touhou game series. The clip specifically is from a doujin (fan made/unofficial) anime series made of the games. I've actually been considering changing my set for a while now, but I haven't yet gotten around to it.
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Sakuya_Izayoi

Doug Watson

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 14, 2015, 07:17:54 PM
They really are stunning! Have you considered doing other modern fish species?

Thank you, I definitely see the resemblance now that you've pointed it out to me!

That would be Sakuya Izayoi, shes from the Touhou game series. The clip specifically is from a doujin (fan made/unofficial) anime series made of the games. I've actually been considering changing my set for a while now, but I haven't yet gotten around to it.
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Sakuya_Izayoi

I am pretty much up for everything, most of my sculpts for Safari are of extant species, over 160 now. I did the Frilled Shark for one of their toobs, a Stone Fish and a Bat Ray for the Venomous Creatures toob (as well as everything else in that toob), and I also did a Grouper, a Queen Trigger fish and a Moray Eel for the oop Fins, Flippers & Fun play set. I did everything in that set except for the diver.

Nabisco also copied that pose for their series. I'll show them all when I do each set.

Cool character, I never would have figured that one out.

DinoLord

Seeing all those resin masters is very cool! If you don't mind me asking, what's your role in determining what species get added to the line each year?

stargatedalek

Cool! It seems I had more of your sculpts than I'd known. Do you have the masters of your other sculpts for Safari?

Doug Watson

Quote from: DinoLord on February 14, 2015, 07:39:52 PM
Seeing all those resin masters is very cool! If you don't mind me asking, what's your role in determining what species get added to the line each year?

I am not at liberty to talk much about the process at Safari Ltd., sorry not my call but I can say that every year I put forward a list of suggestions some end up in the line some do not. It helps when fans make suggestions for the same dinosaur on Safari's Facebook page.

Doug Watson

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 14, 2015, 07:45:17 PM
Cool! It seems I had more of your sculpts than I'd known. Do you have the masters of your other sculpts for Safari?

Yes, I have them all, they are literally taking over my room!

Concavenator

One question.Have you already started the 2016s? (I'm not going to ask anything besides that)

Doug Watson

Quote from: Concavenator on February 14, 2015, 08:01:55 PM
One question.Have you already started the 2016s? (I'm not going to ask anything besides that)

Already in the can as they say in the movie biz.

Concavenator

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 14, 2015, 08:03:50 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on February 14, 2015, 08:01:55 PM

Already in the can as they say in the movie biz.
Great,thank you. :)

Doug Watson

Here are the first of my up close and personal looks at my collection. I'll do them by the individual sets. Some I have completed others I have not. I'll also try to work in chronological order starting with the oldest, with the odd exception thrown in.

First up is my complete collection of small SRG figures which started in 1947 and ran through the 50s. SRG stood for Sell Rite Giftware and were made of lead with a "Royal Bronze" faux bronze finish. There were two sizes the small and the large size. There were two versions of the small stegosaurus, one with the space between the legs open and one with it filled in with sculpted grass. The Dinichthys wasn't actually part of the set and is the hardest to find of the SRGs. It is thought by some to have been an AMNH special commission for sale only at that museum. When that one comes up for sale they often top $300.00. The small set are all 4" and smaller. I still do not have any of the large ones and if I ever do I think I will be in trouble because shipping costs on those heavy buggers will be high. Being made of lead a lot of these show up broken but I have been able to restore a triceratops that was missing a brow horn. I used metal and matched the paint after. A grey plastic set from the same large moulds was produced in the 60s.

The second set is my partial Alva set also from the 50s. I am still missing 3 in that series. These are also lead with a painted finish. These tend to be very expensive so my new strategy is to look for broken ones missing parts and get them cheap and repair them. I got the Trachodon and the Brontosaurus on eBay, the Iguanodon I got from some clown in Tennessee.  ;)
P.S. They call the Iguanodon a Plateosaurus in the Dinosaur Collectibles Guide but he sure looks like an Iguanodon to me.

The last of my heavy metal pieces is a bit out of chronological order but it illustrates my buy broken get them cheap philosophy. This is one of the William Otto La Brea series sold at the LA County Museum and the George C. Page Museum at the La Brea tar pits in the 60s and 70s. They are made of pot metal and often have a brass finish. This is a Columbian Mammoth and I got him off eBay missing the tip of his trunk and a lower leg. I repaired him and matched the paint. These guys also go for big bucks I am still missing 11 more, sigh.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Nice!  I had a yearning to start getting pieces like this..problem is I can't ever find the funds! lol Between Sideshow, new figures each year and the Park here..I'm always hovering near " almost broke" ..lol

A clown eh? I think I know that guy..he was very happy with his end of the deal if I recall... ;) ;D

DinoToyForum

Thanks for sharing Doug. I didn't know you sculpted the tiny microraptor, you'll be pleased to know I've been travelling around for the last eight years or so with a keyring version of that figure attached to my backpack  :)) I bought it in Sweden during a research trip to the Stockholm Natural History Museum in about 2005/6 and it has accompanied me ever since! I will lament the day it eventually becomes detached...

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 15, 2015, 07:26:26 AM
Nice!  I had a yearning to start getting pieces like this..problem is I can't ever find the funds! lol Between Sideshow, new figures each year and the Park here..I'm always hovering near " almost broke" ..lol

A clown eh? I think I know that guy..he was very happy with his end of the deal if I recall... ;) ;D

Flea Markets are the best place to find these guys at reasonable prices. I got my first two SRGs for $5. The seller wanted $10 for the pair the brontosaurus you see here and a Triceratops with a broken brow horn. It took my best poker face to talk her down to $5.  I fear if I ever come across one of the big series at a good price the completist in me will make me hunt those down too.

I was very happy as well. I have a lot of doubles of the small series if you ever want to swap again.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: