News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Doug Watson's collection

Started by Doug Watson, February 13, 2015, 02:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

So Sue & friends were your first creations? I like very much these are very beautiful miniatures that I have in a preferential place in my showcases. Magnificent figures.

BlueKrono

Hey Doug, I was just admiring your dino library. I see you have all of the much-praised Don Glut encyclopedias. I've always wondered: why are they so appreciated by collectors (if the prices are any indication)? What's in them that makes them different from the more current dino encyclopedias?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Doug Watson

Quote from: BlueKrono on December 05, 2016, 01:18:06 PM
Hey Doug, I was just admiring your dino library. I see you have all of the much-praised Don Glut encyclopedias. I've always wondered: why are they so appreciated by collectors (if the prices are any indication)? What's in them that makes them different from the more current dino encyclopedias?

What I like is the completeness. The first volume pretty much dealt with every known dinosaur at the time. After that each new supplement only dealt with new species discovered and described or new material on a old existing species. It would also deal with any dinosaur that had a name change. They are B & W with photos of actual fossils and illustrations usually drawn from the scientific papers. Sometimes a skeletal reconstruction is included and also photos of fleshed out restorations in model or 2D form. One other aspect that I really like is for each entry there is a list of key references with the authors and the dates. Unfortunately it seems supplement # 7 was Glut's last, he mentioned to me how much work it had become so not surprised.

suspsy

Doug, did you base the FTR on any particular specimen?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Doug Watson

Quote from: suspsy on December 05, 2016, 03:25:57 PM

Yes, sorry I meant to answer you before now, I based it mainly on Sue.

suspsy

Quote from: Doug Watson on December 05, 2016, 03:31:16 PM
Quote from: suspsy on December 05, 2016, 03:25:57 PM

Yes, sorry I meant to answer you before now, I based it mainly on Sue.

Thanks! I was hoping it was our fellow Canadian Scotty, but Sue is cool too. :)

Doug Watson

In case anyone lands here and wonders whats up with the images and hasn't seen my comments elsewhere on the DTF, Photobucket decided to start charging a ridiculous amount for 3rd party hosting and also disabled my images here to force me to pay. Because of that I have deleted all of my images on Photobucket, closed my account and let them know why. Mind you they seem oblivious because I just got a robo-email saying "We haven't heard back from you in a few days so we're checking in with you! We're hoping this means our suggestions have worked, or you've answered your question yourself. If this is the case, well done!" They never answered with any suggestions to begin with  :o.

So as a result my collection for now is imageless. My first thought is to leave it as is since it was a lot of work to post them in the first place. The good thing is I still have all the original files and if I can bring myself to trust another image host I may put them back. Until then no more images of my collection and no new images of my Safari ltd originals. 

Faelrin

I actually came peeking in here a day ago (curiosity on what you've sculpted), when I noticed photobucket wasn't showing them. Yeah photobucket is getting a bit ridiculous. Try imgur perhaps? Just don't submit anything to the gallery if you don't want to deal with user comments on your images or ratings. Unless there's anything better out there that I'm not aware of. Imageshack is definitely a no go, since if I'm remembering right, they delete images after a while unless you pay.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Doug Watson

Quote from: Faelrin on July 04, 2017, 03:03:11 PM
I actually came peeking in here a day ago (curiosity on what you've sculpted), when I noticed photobucket wasn't showing them. Yeah photobucket is getting a bit ridiculous. Try imgur perhaps? Just don't submit anything to the gallery if you don't want to deal with user comments on your images or ratings. Unless there's anything better out there that I'm not aware of. Imageshack is definitely a no go, since if I'm remembering right, they delete images after a while unless you pay.

Thanks for the information, postsaurichian had the same issue and has switched to Postimage and likes it so I may look into that.

SpartanSquat

Yeah I had the same problem. Doug how its good postimage? It look good like Photobucket in better times?

Doug Watson

Quote from: RolandEden on July 04, 2017, 03:57:40 PM
Yeah I had the same problem. Doug how its good postimage? It look good like Photobucket in better times?

Better to send a PM to postsaurichian and ask him, I still haven't tried it.

suspsy

I've started a Flickr account and it seems to be working so far. I don't mind taking new photos of my collection, what with new acquisitions, but I'm really angry over all those natural history museum photos that I'll have to replace. I hope Photobucket is happy.

pako

Hey Doug,

Sorry to hear that all your pictures are gone from the forum, maybe you'll find a better solution and take the long time it needs to do it all again.

By the way, have you finished refreshing the papo brown T-rex?

;)

Doug Watson

Quote from: pako on July 04, 2017, 06:53:32 PM
Hey Doug,

Sorry to hear that all your pictures are gone from the forum, maybe you'll find a better solution and take the long time it needs to do it all again.

By the way, have you finished refreshing the papo brown T-rex?

;)

Thanks

In progress, like all my other nonpaying projects I try to work it in here and there. Originally I thought it was going to be just a paint job but once I had it in hand I noticed the detail had been rubbed out as well in spots and the snaggle tooth was missing so I have put a wire in where the tooth should be and dremeled out the worn details. When I am sculpting my next Safaris I plan to do the resculpting on the side.

Doug Watson

Quote from: suspsy on July 04, 2017, 06:18:25 PM
I've started a Flickr account and it seems to be working so far. I don't mind taking new photos of my collection, what with new acquisitions, but I'm really angry over all those natural history museum photos that I'll have to replace. I hope Photobucket is happy.

I am lucky that my original collection shots are in forum files so if I get the energy I could easily repost those but the ones that really p*** me off are my nature shots from the Spring is in the Air  thread since they are all over the place in kayaking or hiking files. No way those are going back. >:(

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Doug Watson on July 04, 2017, 07:08:38 PM

I am lucky that my original collection shots are in forum files so if I get the energy I could easily repost those but the ones that really p*** me off are my nature shots from the Spring is in the Air  thread since they are all over the place in kayaking or hiking files. No way those are going back. >:(

Good evening, Doug.

I am a loyal follower of their Safari figures (in fact I collect them all so far) I hope that next year will be even more spectacular in your dinosaur productions and prehistoric animals than the previous ones. Your figures I like a lot besides that I appreciate very much that your figures do not have like the ones of the Safari brand the jaws or another articulated member and I say it with all due respect to other members of the forum who do not share my way of thinking about it On this topic.

The figures you make are pure craftsmanship and are very detailed from the scientific point of view and I tell you with all the sincerity of the world. Safari along with the collecta dinosaurs are my favorite without despising that yes to the rest of companies of toy dinosaurs.

Especially the feathered tyrannosaurus rex is one of my favorites along with the einiosaurus or the deinocheirus although I also say that I really like the figures of other Safari sculptors like this year's kronosaurus for example and the giganotosaurus

Your figures are a gift to my sight.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Shonisaurus on July 04, 2017, 09:35:37 PM

Good evening, Doug.

I am a loyal follower of their Safari figures (in fact I collect them all so far) I hope that next year will be even more spectacular in your dinosaur productions and prehistoric animals than the previous ones. Your figures I like a lot besides that I appreciate very much that your figures do not have like the ones of the Safari brand the jaws or another articulated member and I say it with all due respect to other members of the forum who do not share my way of thinking about it On this topic.

The figures you make are pure craftsmanship and are very detailed from the scientific point of view and I tell you with all the sincerity of the world. Safari along with the collecta dinosaurs are my favorite without despising that yes to the rest of companies of toy dinosaurs.

Especially the feathered tyrannosaurus rex is one of my favorites along with the einiosaurus or the deinocheirus although I also say that I really like the figures of other Safari sculptors like this year's kronosaurus for example and the giganotosaurus

Thank you for your kind words I am very glad you like the Safari dinosaurs sculpted by me and the other Safari Ltd sculptors. I can tell you from my experience Safari Ltd is a company that really cares about the quality of its toys.

alexeratops

Quote from: Doug Watson on July 04, 2017, 10:14:01 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on July 04, 2017, 09:35:37 PM

Good evening, Doug.

Thank you for your kind words I am very glad you like the Safari dinosaurs sculpted by me and the other Safari Ltd sculptors. I can tell you from my experience Safari Ltd is a company that really cares about the quality of its toys.

That is very true. I have noticed that Safari never seems to cut corners, and even when I'm looking for prehistoric animals I am still amazed by the extant animals as well. You really are lucky to be working for such an amazing company, Doug.  :D
like a bantha!

Doug Watson

Quote from: alexeratops on July 04, 2017, 10:48:13 PM
That is very true. I have noticed that Safari never seems to cut corners, and even when I'm looking for prehistoric animals I am still amazed by the extant animals as well. You really are lucky to be working for such an amazing company, Doug.  :D

I am lucky, I have been working now for 41 years  :'( and Safari Ltd is the best employer/client I have ever worked for. That is counting two National Museum Display Shops and one Giftware Company. Safari Ltd is the only one that regularly tells me how much they appreciate what I do and I tell you that goes a long way after 41 years. And now I am happy to say I have worked longer at Safari Ltd than any of my previous stops and I hope to retire as a Safari Ltd sculptor when that time comes.

Doug Watson

Finally started restoring my deleted Photobucket images with Postimage. Page 1 through 5 up to the Marx section done. This is going to take some time. >:(

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: