News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Doug Watson's collection

Started by Doug Watson, February 13, 2015, 02:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Watson

Here is the complete Ajax collection from the 1950s and 1960s. Most of the poses were based on the Miller dinosaurs. These have been reproduced often over the years.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I have a lot of knockoffs of those floating around here. Always liked the Agathaumus...pretty sure that's what it is instead of Triceratops..all the spikes you know.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 19, 2015, 07:02:22 PM
I have a lot of knockoffs of those floating around here. Always liked the Agathaumus...pretty sure that's what it is instead of Triceratops..all the spikes you know.

They call it Triceratops in the guides but I think you are right about that. Maybe when the artist Googled Triceratops back in 1950 a picture of Agathaumus came up he he. (do you think the younglings will get that?)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 19, 2015, 07:08:21 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 19, 2015, 07:02:22 PM

They call it Triceratops in the guides but I think you are right about that. Maybe when the artist Googled Triceratops back in 1950 a picture of Agathaumus came up he he. (do you think the younglings will get that?)

This is a "Dinosaur" forum so 50/50 shot?   lol

I do wish there was a nice commercial replica of it around. Here's hoping Safari likes my idea of restro-dinos.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 19, 2015, 07:25:06 PM

I was going for the fact there was no Google or internet in 1950 but I guess you were going for the whole Triceratops / Agathaumus synonym thing. Once a paleo nut always a paleo nut.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 20, 2015, 01:36:21 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 19, 2015, 07:25:06 PM

I was going for the fact there was no Google or internet in 1950 but I guess you were going for the whole Triceratops / Agathaumus synonym thing. Once a paleo nut always a paleo nut.

lol ,  true.  Two sides, same coin I suppose?

Doug Watson

Here are some more nifties from the fifties.

This is a complete set of Linde Coffee Premiums from the 50s and out of Austria. Back in the 50s & 60s marbled plastic was a big thing. I have to admit I was fascinated back then with marbled and metallic plastics. these are 1 to 2 inches.

Some more marbled plastic this a complete set of the Nabisco dinosaurs from Wheat Honeys or Rice Honeys, 1 to 2 inches and also from the 50s. They also showed up in bags, my brother bought me a bag of 100 at our Five & Dime Store.

This is my complete set of Nabisco Prehistoric Beasts by Lido. I had some or all of these back when they were new and of course got rid of them.

This is my only Timpo, a dimetrodon, I received it as a throw in from a European seller when I bought a Klienwelka dino from him.

These are the Japan Ceramics from the 50s, 3 in matt finish and 3 in gloss finish. I got the complete set for $75 in a chance visit to a consignment shop. The Protoceratops by itself is valued in the dino guide at $45-$60 but of course they are only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I really like the Linde Rex..so close to the mural version by Zallinger.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 21, 2015, 03:06:16 AM

And the Triceratops is like a mirror image of the foreground triceratops in the mural. That mural influenced a lot of toy lines back then in content.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 21, 2015, 09:05:43 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 21, 2015, 03:06:16 AM

And the Triceratops is like a mirror image of the foreground triceratops in the mural. That mural influenced a lot of toy lines back there in content.

Your right!

There was a lot of influence there but none that were 100% on the mark.  That would make a great series of figures..or even statues.

Doug Watson

Still stuck in the 50s, my Marx collection.

Here are the first two dinosaurs my mother bought me in 1962 the slim Marx T rex and Marx Brontosaurus, the only toy dinosaurs I have retained from my youth.

My complete Marx original flat finish collection

The obligatory period correct cavemen that came with the dinosaurs and prehistoric mammals in the playsets. :))

In some playsets you would get one or two premium pieces either in metallic silver or metallic green, this is the most common mould group in metallic silver.

The same mould group in metallic green, this colour is the most sought after and according to Mike Fredericks all of the marx prehistoric animals came in metallic green but these are the only ones I have seen in person.

The same mould group in marbled grey. Marx would drizzle colours in their grey dinos to come up with these beautiful marbled effects. Not considered a premium piece in the playsets but highly sought after.

From 1955 the Marx figures were made with lead based pigments that gave them a solid flat finish. In 1971 they started reissuing the playsets but this time the lead pigment was removed and the figures have a waxy look to them. The Trachodon on the left is an original lead based version the one on the right is a 70s reissue. You can also see some modifications to the figure to make it stand better. I prefer the look of the original finish and the taste too ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

The slim Marx Rex looks so much better than the later knockoffs..especially the foot in motion..I have knockoffs that look like splayed basilisk lizard feet now.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 23, 2015, 01:40:03 AM
The slim Marx Rex looks so much better than the later knockoffs..especially the foot in motion..I have knockoffs that look like splayed basilisk lizard feet now.

Yes they got pretty strange, you still see mini Marx knock offs in bags at grocery stores today with those weird feet.

triceratops83

Still can't beat the monochrome simplicity of Marx and Invicta. Of the older series, Marx was always the best. I could never get into Inpro, Tim mee or any of the others without comparing them to Marx. Is that Iguanodon rare? I've not seen many photos of that one around.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 23, 2015, 03:04:45 AM
Still can't beat the monochrome simplicity of Marx and Invicta. Of the older series, Marx was always the best. I could never get into Inpro, Tim mee or any of the others without comparing them to Marx. Is that Iguanodon rare? I've not seen many photos of that one around.

Not sure about rare, he can be found on ebay. I always liked him the Para and the waving Trachodon..ones you don't see as knockoffs usually.

Doug Watson

None of the marx prehistoric animals are particularly rare, the rarity in Marx figures comes from the colours, the metallics, the marbled and also the tan colour is one of the rarer ones but you see those more than the metallic greens. There are also some weird colours that turn up from time to time from people who dig at the old Marx dump. Marx had fairly strict quality control and if an oddball colour or weird marbling came out it was discarded and buried in their dump. The dump is surrounded by homes now but some people still get in there and dig up some treasures. Some Marx collectors actually try to get complete sets of the various standard colours. Thank goodness I am not that obsessive.

Doug Watson

It's funny that you picked out the Iguanodon, of all the pieces this is the most finely detailed of the bunch. It is obvious the sculptor used Zdenek Burian's artwork as a guide. In the level of detail I would almost guess this was a different sculptor from the ones who did the rest, or he really loved this piece, or maybe he had the best detail reference for this one because none of the others come close. There are even alternating sizes of scales on the skin and raised osteoderms.

Here is Burian's illustration.

Marx Iguanodon right side.

Marx Iguanodon left side.

triceratops83

Thanks, Doug - I hadn't seen much of that Iguanodon, it's really nice. The best of the early figures emulated the great artists like Knight and Burian.

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 23, 2015, 04:46:50 AM
the old Marx dump. Marx had fairly strict quality control and if an oddball colour or weird marbling came out it was discarded and buried in their dump. The dump is surrounded by homes now but some people still get in there and dig up some treasures.

That's my version of a goldmine! A chance to dig up Marx figures like you would real fossils? Where do I sign up!  ;)
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Doug Watson

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 23, 2015, 02:11:56 PM
Thanks, Doug - I hadn't seen much of that Iguanodon, it's really nice. The best of the early figures emulated the great artists like Knight and Burian.

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 23, 2015, 04:46:50 AM
the old Marx dump. Marx had fairly strict quality control and if an oddball colour or weird marbling came out it was discarded and buried in their dump. The dump is surrounded by homes now but some people still get in there and dig up some treasures.

That's my version of a goldmine! A chance to dig up Marx figures like you would real fossils? Where do I sign up!  ;)

The location is well known, apparently all you have to do is cozy up to a homeowner who has access and grease his or her palms. And they all know the deal by now.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I remember reading about the dump in PT ages ago..if only I was local...lol

Some additional info on it : http://www.marxmuseum.com/ourmailbag/thedump.html

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: