News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Doug Watson's collection

Started by Doug Watson, February 13, 2015, 02:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Watson

I remembered one more item from the 60s. I still have my April 1965 copy of Jack & jill Magazine that featured the Louis Paul Jonas dinosaurs from Sinclair's Dinoland. Since I haven't seen these particular shots on the interweb I thought I would share them here, along with my 50 year old chocolate stains.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Awesome!

I always liked how the Ankylosaur's head was elevated by having him standing on something..really brought the viewer a little closer to eye level with him.

Crackington

Thanks for the info on the Wade "Dino" figure Doug. Just struck me that the Ankylosaurus in the Sinclair Dinoland looks remarkably similar to the Pyro model box art. Interesting to see where influences come from. 

Doug Watson

Quote from: Crackington on March 11, 2015, 07:20:56 AM
Just struck me that the Ankylosaurus in the Sinclair Dinoland looks remarkably similar to the Pyro model box art. Interesting to see where influences come from.

Yes, that is pretty much a straight on copy, there was a lot of "borrowing" going on back then. Now if only the model matched the box art!

Doug Watson

I have finally completed my Marx Flintstones Hunting Party (minus the box) thanks to Joe Demarco. I picked up the T rex and the Stegosaurus from Joe at a great price because each had slight damage. I now have Fred & Barney, the Stegosaurus, the T rex and the Brontosaurus. I got them a while ago but I just finished repairing the damage to the Stegosaurus and T rex.

The Brontosaurus 12 inches long, hollow in hard plastic either celluloid or styrene cast in two pieces and glued together.

From the front.

Close-up of the head, interesting scale detail almost like the artist started and then thought, "heck they aren't paying me enough to do this" and stopped.

Stegosaurus, I think this is my favourite, so classic looking. Don Glut says it is a reverse copy of Charles Gilmore's sculpture. My copy was missing one of the small plates, the tips of two of the Thagomizer spikes and the tip of the tail.

Left side.

Right side.

Close up.

The T rex which is an enlarged version of the Marx regular slim T rex. Mine was missing one of the hands.

Left side

Right side

Front

Close up.

The Big Blue Fred from the Hunting Party with the original Fred from the Bedrock Playset and the painted Tinykins Fred. The Big Blue Fred is 3.25 inches tall.

The Big Blue Barney from the Hunting Party with the original Barney from the Bedrock Playset and the painted Tinykins Barney.

The complete set minus the box.

triceratops83

That's on par with Marx or Invicta. You'd expect it to look a little cartoony but it's actually quite nice.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Doug Watson

Into the 70s.

By the way it is March 17, there is still 2 feet of snow on the ground, it is still cold and it is snowing, Al Gore is an idiot!

In 1977 the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto Canada released their own dinosaur toy series sculpted by Fred Kay. My set consists of various shades of grey from plain grey, blueish grey and greenish grey. I have read elsewhere that they also came in tan but I haven't seen any looking on eBay since 2000. Each one is marked with ROM, dinosaur name and Made in Hong Kong.
Here is my complete set of 8, Albertosaurus, Chasmosaurus, Diplodocus, Stenopterygius, Lambeosaurus, Parasaurolophus, Pteranodon, Stegosaurus.

Sometime later a multi coloured set of 6 of the figures were reissued. I have read online that Waipoon is the company, each dinosaur is marked with the dinosaur name and Made in China.

This is my partial set of Kleinwelka dinosaurs from the Saurierpark Kleinwelka in Germany. 1970s to 1980s. I am still missing the Stegosaurus, Diplodocus and the Parasaurolophus. They are cast in a lightweight foamed plastic. For scale the big brachiosaurus is the same size as the Papo brachiosaurus.

My complete set of Invicta dinosaurs from the British Museum. Started in the 70s and were still being sold new as late as 2003 at a UK online shop.

In 1987 Discovery Toys put out a boxed set including a Panorama and 8 Invicta figures. I got the box separately but judging from the information on the box it included the Diplodocus, Blue Whale, Stegosaurus, Iguanodon, Pteranodon, Glyptodon, Mammoth and Scelidosaurus
This is the box and the Panorama

Blade-of-the-Moon

The Lambeosaurus is certainly my favorite figure of the ROM series, though I wouldn't mind finding the Parasaurolophus and Brontosaurus either.  I've never seen the Stenopterygius for sale before.

The Kleinwelka dinos are about as cool as Invicta..just much harder to find. The Diplodocus? I think was my favorite from that series..just haven't found one yet.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 17, 2015, 03:20:06 PM
I've never seen the Stenopterygius for sale before.

That one is definitely the rarest of the set followed by the Pteranodon. I have an extra Pteranodon but no extra Stenopterygius. Some day I will have to get back on eBay and offer up some of my extras.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I found the little yellow Pteranodon at a local fleamarket a few years ago, it the Stego and Chasmo all came from there..though I found them at different times.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 17, 2015, 03:43:49 PM
I found the little yellow Pteranodon at a local fleamarket a few years ago, it the Stego and Chasmo all came from there..though I found them at different times.

We used to have a big local Flea Market where I used to find the odd item but the landowner sold the land for development. A new smaller one opened up near by but never seems to have anything I collect. The Nostalgia Show this past weekend was another bust. There was stuff from my vintage but for the second show in a row no one had any animal or dinosaur toys of any sort.

postsaurischian

:D All hail Invicta! I still love them a lot. As a teenager I used to think that it can't get any better :).

Have to get me that retro Kleinwelka Iguanodon one day. I have a thing for that pose. Probably because of the Berlin Iguanodon, which deeply impressed me  as a young boy :).

triceratops83

Great seeing all the Invictas together like that. Some of them are still perfect, like the Pliosaur. I would love to see them make a comeback, that monochrome look makes a great figure. Buying them off Ebay is a bit of a gamble - people seem to treat them roughly and most are pretty scuffed.

Doug, you really have a fantastic collection of vintage dinosaurs. I'm starting to think you could open up a dinotoy museum.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Libraraptor

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 12, 2015, 01:54:34 AM
Added a couple items to my 60s collection. 2/5 of the Marx Flintstones Hunting Party, Fred & the Brontosaurus. There is also a Barney, Stegosaurus and T rex.

The Brontosaurus 12 inches long, hollow in hard plastic either celluloid or styrene cast in two pieces and glued together.

I´m drooling over that one :o :o

amargasaurus cazaui

<<takes a cloth and cleans the poor dinosaur
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Arul

Libraraptor

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on March 19, 2015, 07:03:24 AM
<<takes a cloth and cleans the poor dinosaur

It´s like "It would perfectly fit into my monochrome assemblage. Marx, Invicta, Kleinwelka, ROM" This Brontosaurus is so  "Whoa!!" to me!

suspsy

I had the ROM set back when I was a child. Sadly, my Lambeosaurus fell behind the toy box in our basement and onto the baseboard heater. When I finally located it, it looked like it'd been partially devoured by a tyrannosaur. :p

The Invicta blue whale always bothered me. Even as a child, I felt it was misleading. Unless it was meant to be a baby.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Doug Watson

Quote from: suspsy on March 20, 2015, 01:36:49 PM
I had the ROM set back when I was a child. Sadly, my Lambeosaurus fell behind the toy box in our basement and onto the baseboard heater. When I finally located it, it looked like it'd been partially devoured by a tyrannosaur. :p

I had a similar trauma as a child. I was painting my Aurora Mummy kit in 1963 and since I had absolutely no patience back then I placed it on my bedroom furnace grate to dry it quicker. We had a wood furnace back then with no forced air, the heat just rose up through the vents from the basement. I went away for bit and when I returned the model base plastic was dripping down the duct. AHHHHH!

Halichoeres

Do you make the resin originals at the eventual figure scale, or are they reduced for production?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: